F.A.O h.a.n.s and john mit

Lt.Speirs

Hi lad`s remember talking about this on the ascot thread looks like Findly is going for it

(my old username was soldier of fortune)

From The Sportinglife:

Owner Harry Findlay has confirmed that Denman will reappear in the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup at Newbury on November 29.

The Paul Nicholls-trained gelding landed the early season feature last season before sweeping all before him en route to Cheltenham Gold Cup glory.

Most connections would rule out handicaps for such a highly-rated horse but, despite being perched on 182 following his Gold Cup win, Findlay is happy to take on all-comers.

And the professional gambler is typically upbeat about the prospects of his star performer, claiming to have already backed the horse for the handicap.

"I don't think it is a big ask in the Hennessy - I think he is a certainty," he told The Racing Post.

"I have already had a bet - I had a case of vintage champagne with the handicapper Phil Smith that he wins it.

"He said to me at the awards dinner that 182 wouldn't scare them off, and I think he is mad.

"Everything has gone to plan since day one and we have said all along that this could be his optimum year, and I have seen nothing to contradict that.

"Trainers are knowledgeable people and I don't think many want to run their horses against Denman.

"If I owned a good, progressive chaser, the number one thing in my mind would be, whatever I do, I don't want to run into a horse like Denman.

"I genuinely feel that most horses who will be taking on Denman this year will be running for the place money - and that will suit us just fine!"

The Old Tolbooth

He certainly proved in last years Hennessy that he can demolish a top class field carrying a welterweight without any trouble.

Unless there is a very good novice waiting somewhere to burst onto the scene, then he will most definitely be odds on to repeat last years successes.

Only 2nd season chasers i can think at the moment are air force one and alberta's run both would get 10 stone to carry but as Findlay says would you put horse against the machine.

That's enough about me, what about Denman? ;)

Forward!!!! Tinhat on;)

Archived