Working at 'ungodly' hours

Locky

Started a new job this week and got my first proper shift tomorrow. 5am start, so needing to get up about 3am and leave the house before 4. Been dreading this. I've been up since half 5 this morning in the hope I'll be shattered early doors, but I generally don't go to sleep until at least 11pm most nights.

Won't always be doing these shifts but they are a regular thing and usually in blocks of 5. Don't know if I just have a short sleep and suffer on my first night then I'll be naturally shattered the rest of the week, or try and get a nap during the day to cover any losses of sleep at night.

How the **** do you cope? :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Rick James said:

Started a new job this week and got my first proper shift tomorrow. 5am start, so needing to get up about 3am and leave the house before 4. Been dreading this. I've been up since half 5 this morning in the hope I'll be shattered early doors, but I generally don't go to sleep until at least 11pm most nights.

Won't always be doing these shifts but they are a regular thing and usually in blocks of 5. Don't know if I just have a short sleep and suffer on my first night then I'll be naturally shattered the rest of the week, or try and get a nap during the day to cover any losses of sleep at night.

Worked 6am-6pm mon-fri, 6-2 sat and 6am-6pm sun, next week same, night shift was 6pm -6am

mon-fri sat 10pm-6am sun 6pm-6am, then 3 weeks off this was holiday cover lol, the joys not .

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Worked 6am-6pm mon-fri, 6-2 sat and 6am-6pm sun, next week same, night shift was 6pm -6am

mon-fri sat 10pm-6am sun 6pm-6am, then 3 weeks off this was holiday cover lol, the joys not .

Was that about 90 years ago Harold, you not over it yet ?

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

The one good thing about my early starts is I will be finished early. Finished by 3 tomorrow which is a long day, but can often be done by 2 and even done by 12 on occasion. I'll be fine with it when I'm up and about, I always am, it's just the getting up at 3am which is causing me some concern. :lol: Don't exactly want to be sleeping in on my first proper shift.

23 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our Mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

👍

A mans man.

Use to do 0500 to 1330 for three days, 1330 to 2200 for 3 then off for 3.

I never adjusted. 

Edit: What I will say though is that being up at that time is magic. You see a totally different perspective of the world.

I'd be doing everything I could to not be getting up 2 hours before my shift though...it feels unnecessary. I used to get up at 4am and be on the road by 0415.

Edited by Taffin

5am is when i start to get to sleep, feck getting up at that time, man. 

If you're already not looking forward to your new job, it's game over. 

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I never adjusted. 

Edit: What I will say though is that being up at that time is magic. You see a totally different perspective of the world.

I'd be doing everything I could to not be getting up 2 hours before my shift though...it feels unnecessary. I used to get up at 4am and be on the road by 0415.

Looking forward to walking through town sober watching everyone else pissed up for a change. :lol: Unfortunately as a non-driver, I need to be up 2 hours before I start to make it on time. Quick shower, get all my shit together and out the door. Night bus into town is at 03:45, then got another bus from there. Should only take me about an hour once I'm out and about but is what it is I guess.

16 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

5am is when i start to get to sleep, feck getting up at that time, man. 

If you're already not looking forward to your new job, it's game over. 

Actually quite excited about it tbf. Not dreading the job at all, it's more the adjustment to going to sleep at 9pm and getting up at 3am for these shifts that's a worry. I can be a shite sleeper at the best of times.

Just now, Rick James said:

Actually quite excited about it tbf. Not dreading the job at all, it's more the adjustment to going to sleep at 9pm and getting up at 3am for these shifts that's a worry. I can be a shite sleeper at the best of times.

Health comes first, though, mate.

Getting up at 3am, the money better be good.

5 minutes ago, Rick James said:

Looking forward to walking through town sober watching everyone else pissed up for a change. :lol: Unfortunately as a non-driver, I need to be up 2 hours before I start to make it on time. Quick shower, get all my shit together and out the door. Night bus into town is at 03:45, then got another bus from there. Should only take me about an hour once I'm out and about but is what it is I guess.

Ah fair. An hour once your out the house isn't too bad. Being in town at that time is brilliant, mind and be careful though as well when walking about.

I'd have happily worked 0500 to 1330 for the rest of my days. It was the switching to evenings after 3 days that did me in. It just wasn't long enough to get into a routine before it was ripped up again and with it being week in, week out rather than blocks it just wrecked me. Blocks of 5 like you're doing will be ace once you're used to it 👍

Edited by Taffin

53 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

In my 20s, even had time to party, was loaded, great days.

40 years ago.

I remember having to work 12-hour shifts at banta global turn key, on my feet all day, packing mobile phones.

Horrendous. 

I also had to work at Batleys when I was a teen, cycled about 6 miles to start at 7 a.m., and felt physically sick before I even started work. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

I used to work a continental three day shifting schedule.  

3 days of 12 hours each for a 36 hour working week.

Days you worked and times you worked changed over time on rotation.

Never really got used to the ever-changing times.

Body clock all over the shop.

Having to have a big colour coded calendar to keep track of when you were supposed to be in was a pain in the erkie.

Really not worth the 4 days off.

44 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Health comes first, though, mate.

Getting up at 3am, the money better be good.

Yeah will take a while to get used to. Basically an extra weeks wages up from my last job so not bad, and believe it or not, will actually have more time for the family despite the hours.

44 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Ah fair. An hour once your out the house isn't too bad. Being in town at that time is brilliant, mind and be careful though as well when walking about.

I'd have happily worked 0500 to 1330 for the rest of my days. It was the switching to evenings after 3 days that did me in. It just wasn't long enough to get into a routine before it was ripped up again and with it being week in, week out rather than blocks it just wrecked me. Blocks of 5 like you're doing will be ace once you're used to it 👍

Yeah it'll defo be a case of head down and keep moving. :lol: Yeah the benefit is defo the 5 on 3 off. Plenty time to adjust to the next block of shifts.

1 hour ago, Bull's-eye said:

No, it probably wasn’t.  👍

1 hour ago, Lovecraft said:

You were lucky....

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

I never adjusted. 

It's amazing in the summer.Nobody else about and seeing the sunrise.I used to go running at that time was amazing but work at 5 most mornings now but finished by 12 it's fecking great.

40 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's amazing in the summer.Nobody else about and seeing the sunrise.I used to go running at that time was amazing but work at 5 most mornings now but finished by 12 it's fecking great.

That’s the best bit.  👍

3 hours ago, Rick James said:

You get used to it, and the quiet streets are a joy!

3 hours ago, Rick James said:

You are on the cusp mate so might be easier . bed by 10 ... midweek games exception.

Turn 3 am into sunrise. 

And get plenty sum during day 

Turn your clock back.

It's actually not far away from your natural state

I hated early shifts. Used to get up 3-4am, **** that. I start work at 1600 and latest finish is 2345 but usually get away around 2200. I’ve got a 50min drive each way though which is a bitch.

joondalupjambo

My son for four years nearly up at 1.00am, stated loading vans at 2.00am to 9.00am and home by 10.00am.  Bit more than minimum wage, loads of others in the store working similar hours and they say this country is full of lazy feckers.  Maybe aye but that is some commitment by these folk.

Loved all the time to himself, nobody bossing him at work and no direct  customer work, bliss he said.  Hats off son.

Did 7pm until 7am Mon-Fri a long time ago for about 10 years, just used to switch back to normal for the weekend. Seriously bad for the health, actually got used to feeling like a bag of Shit pretty much permanently. 

Never really realised how ill I was until I packed it in. 

36 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Did 7pm until 7am Mon-Fri a long time ago for about 10 years, just used to switch back to normal for the weekend. Seriously bad for the health, actually got used to feeling like a bag of Shit pretty much permanently. 

Never really realised how ill I was until I packed it in. 

yes it’s been proven that working night shifts is def bad for your health . 

I've never worked actual shifts, but had to do 6am-6.30pm Mon-Fri for a few weeks in a row as the factory was busy, then we had to get an order out one day and I ended up working from 6am to 8am the next day (26 hour shift) with the next day then off, although most of it was spent trying to catch up on sleep. Was promised triple time for the time past a 12 hour day and a day in lieu to do it, ******* supervisor then tried to diddle us by not paying triple time for the extra hours. Bad move on his part as we all made sure we more than got the money back from "working" overtime in the future (that's what the clocking in timer said...was easy enough to fool it and him!).

I was young enough that working for 26 hours straight didn't bother me that much, but certainly couldn't do it now.

16 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Luxury.  Bl**dy luxury.

16 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

And if you tell that to the young uns today, they don't believe you .

I did some shifts like this years ago. I was paranoid about sleeping in so I’d set 3 alarms and put them loud and around the bedroom so I’d have to get up to switch them off and bingo was up. Good luck in the new job

Edited by 1971fozzy

22 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

And all in your bare feet and a rag for a shirt.

Once started at 1pm on a Sunday working from home. Worked right through to the next morning, had a shower, breakfast and some red bull before driving to the office for my 9 -5.

The drive home was challenging to say the least.

2 hours ago, Black Swan said:

Once started at 1pm on a Sunday working from home. Worked right through to the next morning, had a shower, breakfast and some red bull before driving to the office for my 9 -5.

The drive home was challenging to say the least.

I’m on a shift similar to that now. Left the house at 11 will get in at 8am. Do it every 3 weeks it’s a good shift.

Shooter McGavin
23 hours ago, Ministryofdad said:

Living that chef life. 

For those that know...... 

8-22:30 lucky if you get a break.

Watched boiling point the other day, and based on that I don’t reckon I’d last a week in that job.

Shooter McGavin
On 23/09/2023 at 19:23, Taffin said:

I never adjusted. 

I’d agree. I’ve slowly been enjoying earlier mornings through the years, especially on weekends.

It’s a great feeling being up early with plenty of energy, out for a run and having all your jobs done by mid-day.

I work 3 12hr shifts, Sunday, Monday and Tuesdays and every 4th Saturday. 7pm till 7am. 33% shift allowance,  which ain't too bad. The time off is great.

17 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I did some shifts like this years ago. I was paranoid about sleeping in so I’d set 3 alarms and put them loud and around the bedroom so I’d have to get up to switch them off and bingo was up. Good luck in the new job

I need 3 alarms to get me up at any time tbf. :lol: 

Shift was a total breeze in the end. Out of bed for 10 past 3, quick shower and out the door 25 minutes later. Buses were rapid. Took me less than an hour to get over the other side of the city all in. Done by half 2, managed to stay awake til 10 last night and woke up at half 8 this morning bright as a button. Off til Thursday. :D 

38 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Worked at 6 at apex hotel. Never slept and used to set the table next door at night

What was wrong with setting the hotels table at night ? 😂

rudi must stay
43 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

What was wrong with setting the hotels table at night ? 😂

I was setting the kitchen table in my house not the hotels

On 23/09/2023 at 13:19, Lovecraft said:

Johnny was a chemist's son, but Johnny is no more. What Johnny thought was H2O was H2SO4.