• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chuck Berry

• Chimp

• Pasquale for King

• Thunder and Lightning

Thunder and Lightning
6 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Nobody is gushing. Simply praising him for his performance.

Seems you can’t wait for his next bad performance. 

More nonsense from you. Show me where i said anything of the sort? 

Natty was tasked with taking care of Duk. A job he did brilliantly especially second half. Duk is/was their danger man. Natty nullified him almost completely. On a number of occasions Duk tried to get round Rowles and was forced out or forced into giving up possession. Either way we end up with the ball.

Rowles performance was more collective than just taking care of one player. He was rock solid. Took care of everything that came down the middle. Composed in the air. Found his man after winning the ball back. Tackled well. Just a polished performance.

Its wonderful to be discussing great performances from both as opposed to who was the worst.

Long may that continue!!

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Natty was tasked with taking care of Duk. A job he did brilliantly especially second half. Duk is/was their danger man. Natty nullified him almost completely. On a number of occasions Duk tried to get round Rowles and was forced out or forced into giving up possession. Either way we end up with the ball.

Rowles performance was more collective than just taking care of one player. He was rock solid. Took care of everything that came down the middle. Composed in the air. Found his man after winning the ball back. Tackled well. Just a polished performance.

Its wonderful to be discussing great performances from both as opposed to who was the worst.

Long may that continue!!

Great post.

8 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Long may that continue!!

Pretty sure I saw Natty take Duk out his back pocket and place him in Sibbicks back pocket when being subbed.

They both had him on toast. 

A_A wehatethehibs

Seeing a lot of the usual limited thinking in this thread

Struggles against better quality opponent: he’s shite

Plays really well against a lower quality opponent: the opponent was shite.

Not possible for a player to ever be good, when you have this way of thinking  

Fact is, modern day football is about levels. PAOK was a level too high for him. He wouldn’t get a game for them, and he wouldn’t get a game at Rangers or Celtic. 

But he would be the starting CB for all 9 lesser clubs than Hearts in the league. And he’s a long term starter for us for years to come. 

A player who has found his level, no he’s not perfect but he can compete and he can now improve and kick on. 

IMO, that could prove to be a very good thing for us, long term settled defence is about playing as a unit, forming partnerships. It’s not about individuals. 

With Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley we now have a settled back 4 for the first time in a long long time. It’s something for us to build on now.

There has been minimal changes to it under Naisy, and that will remain the case as it’s sensible textbook football management to keep a back 4 settled unless there’s injuries. 

Whole defence, including subs, did really well yesterday. All including Rowles should be proud of that performance and hopefully can build on it. 
They had a confidence about them

Its always amusing in the stadium watching a player who's become the the target of the grizzlers. The proper supporters rally behind him and applaud all the good stuff and the gurners sit there champing in the bit waiting for a misplaced pass.

Most entertaining 😄

34 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Fact is, modern day football is about levels. PAOK was a level too high for him. He wouldn’t get a game for them, and he wouldn’t get a game at Rangers or Celtic. 

But he would be the starting CB for all 9 lesser clubs than Hearts in the league. And he’s a long term starter for us for years to come. 

A player who has found his level, no he’s not perfect but he can compete and he can now improve and kick on. 

IMO, that could prove to be a very good thing for us, long term settled defence is about playing as a unit, forming partnerships. It’s not about individuals. 

With Atkinson Kent Rowles Kingsley we now have a settled back 4 for the first time in a long long time. It’s something for us to build on now.

There has been minimal changes to it under Naisy, and that will remain the case as it’s sensible textbook football management to keep a back 4 settled unless there’s injuries. 

Don’t normally agree with you but good post 👍🏼

Thunder and Lightning
54 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Literally the post I responded to 😂

That's what you take from that post? 

Maybe ask your teacher to explain it when you get back to school next week then. 

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

That's what you take from that post? 

Maybe ask your teacher to explain it when you get back to school next week then. 

Some great banter there mate 🥴

54 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He was very good yesterday, looked a different player. Needs to perform at same level for a run of games to confirm he has turned a corner. Next six games would really test his form of recent games. Hopefully yesterdays level is what he produces. 

I had him, Natty and Devlin down as our 3 best players yesterday. All 3 were excellent. And I’ve spent the last fortnight slating our Aussie fascination.

Devlin always has a performance like this on his locker. He’s never too far away from a great player, he just needs to tidy up his passing and decision making. Rowles never put a foot wrong and was aggressive in the tackle which is all we want to see. I do think it helped him that they only had Miovski up front who Kent dealt with with ease. So Kye never had a direct opponent peeling on to him at high balls. Other teams definitely target him and I’ve no idea why Robson never. If we come away from the game next week saying the same stuff about Rowles then we can say he’s definitely turned a corner. Atkinson impressed me the most. Directly against Duk for 70 odd minutes and got the better of him in every single aspect. Outstanding.

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Agree. Decent logic in this post

That was much better yesterday and more like his earlier performances, will be interesting to see if he maintains that level of performance away to St Mirren and Killie. 

Glamorgan Jambo

Delighted he did a lot better yesterday. Next Saturday at St Midden will be a huge challenge for our defence because you can be sure Robinson will have his lot right in our faces from the kick off.

Also very pleased to hear he had a good game. Unfortunately missed it, but him rising to the physical challenge is a good sign. Hopefully this was a milestone type game for him and he can move forward with some confidence. 

Did notice on the highlights that he very early on headed it straight back to an Aberdeen player in our own box though. 

19 hours ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

It's one game. One. Let him take it slowly before the idiots on here fire on a 5 million transfer fee again. 

It's more than one game since he signed though, hence the over optimistic £5m tags last season.  His performance yesterday was back to his best, let's hope it remains that way so he doesn't get crucified by numpties.

10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This

Thunder and Lightning
11 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

It's more than one game since he signed though, hence the over optimistic £5m tags last season.  His performance yesterday was back to his best, let's hope it remains that way so he doesn't get crucified by numpties.

One game playing well after a spell of poor form. 

People giving it all about back to his best need to stopn

throwing weight on the lads shoulders and let him play. 

56 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

One game playing well after a spell of poor form. 

People giving it all about back to his best need to stopn

throwing weight on the lads shoulders and let him play. 

The people throwing weight on the lads shoulders are the ones crucifying him is it not?

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

The people throwing weight on the lads shoulders are the ones crucifying him is it not?

Nope, endless criticism means a player will play with no stress and their best. Praising a player after doing well and going through a rough period is just putting all the pressure on them, shame on everyone saying positive things here.

I suspect that poster has made his mind up about Rowles a while ago and rather than take the rational position, he has had some poor games recently but played well so hope this is the start of him doing well, has double down back their view that he is not good enough.

I really liked Rowles prior to the world cup last season as we all did, unfortunately for some reason his form dipped for a long time, I couldn't make the game yesterday but glad to hear he played well. Hopefully this is him getting back to his best.

It will take more than 1 good performance for him to win the fans over though.

Atkinson still has critics despite him probably being our best and most consistent player so far this season.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Kent is the one doing most of the headed clearances now allowing Rowles to do the what he is better at and that's sweeping up at the back when the ball is on the deck. When a ball is launched towards the center of the box Kent should be the one shouting it's mine but Rowles looked more assured with his headers but harder tests to come against strike forces a lot better than the sheep had on Saturday. The crowd have to give KR more encouragement though to continue the improvement in his game.

Thunder and Lightning
30 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

They are just arseholes mate. Nobody got better by being shouted at or abused online. 

22 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This is a good, balanced post. I'm still a fan of Rowles and think that on balance he's been a good signing. I actually think that of the Australian players we've signed, he is the one that looks less out of place against higher class opposition.

Devlin has been a good signing, but it's very noticeable that against better quality opposition he struggles. That's even more so the case with Atkinson - in the PAOK away game the other week he really looked out of his depth. The reality is that in terms of the financial level we are operating at, the likelihood is that players we sign will struggle against better opposition. If that wasn't the case they'd be going to leagues where they get paid more. 

11 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Kent is the one doing most of the headed clearances now allowing Rowles to do the what he is better at and that's sweeping up at the back when the ball is on the deck. When a ball is launched towards the center of the box Kent should be the one shouting it's mine but Rowles looked more assured with his headers but harder tests to come against strike forces a lot better than the sheep had on Saturday. The crowd have to give KR more encouragement though to continue the improvement in his game.

I'm really pleased to see Rowles improving the physical aspect to his game. But relative to the season so far, this is one game. He needs to carry that willingness to be physical forward. 

The next big thing for me is his distribution. I love what Sibbick brings to the table as a CB, and in my head with Kent being the ball winner, I want to see Rowles distribution on the ball improve radically, but not just that - I want him to have the confidence to drive forward with the ball when appropriate. Square passes along our back line do nothing for us, so having a CB willing to mix things up and drive into the opposition and hopefully draw them out (or win us valuable space to peg them in) can only be a good thing. 

Rowles in general has a good football brain. He reads the game and makes interceptions. He's not someone who's going to out muscle someone. He needs to get batter at that side of things but if he plays to his strengths we have Kent to deal with the physical side of it. 

Rowles has recovery pace which is and asset and has the ability to nip in front of attackers to nick the ball.

He's obviously not been great of late but I think Saturday was a start and hopefully he kicks on. I've never bought into the narrative he's awful, he's been out of form but definitely think there's still untapped potential and of course he must become more consistent and improve physically 

The Black Prince

Kye was one of my favourite players at CCM so was really happy for him when he was selected for the NT and also when he won a good move to Europe.

Really glad to see a change in how he's perceived but I do wonder sometimes about the love of a pile-on here against the scapegoat du jour. Every game I've seen him play, he's been fantastic. (BUT, I've hardly seen him play for Hearts this season at all.)

I get that the SPL is a totally different beast to international football and much more physical - but why is he still selected every game if he's playing as badly as some seem to think?

There are also people on this forum who say he's not been as bad as some would have you believe AND, I spoke with a chap this morning who is Hearts through and through who said: Don't believe their shite. He's been fine.

That opinion accords with my own experience and natural prejudices so where does the truth lie? There is also, clearly, an anti-Australian sentiment among some forumites which I would perceive as racism if my ancestors were not all MacDonalds and Davidsons.

Having said that, I do think Hearts have too many Australians which can be a problem during international breaks in Asia.

Some fans find it difficult to distinguish between a good player who is struggling for form or confidence , and a poor player . It is like mass amnesia . Rowles had put in enough good performances to be cut more slack than he was before Saturday . Everyone could see he had it in him but for some weird reason they were insisting that he was shit . Same thing happened with Devlin and Atkinson 

1 minute ago, The Black Prince said:

Kye was one of my favourite players at CCM so was really happy for him when he was selected for the NT and also when he won a good move to Europe.

Really glad to see a change in how he's perceived but I do wonder sometimes about the love of a pile-on here against the scapegoat du jour. Every game I've seen him play, he's been fantastic. (BUT, I've hardly seen him play for Hearts this season at all.)

I get that the SPL is a totally different beast to international football and much more physical - but why is he still selected every game if he's playing as badly as some seem to think?

There are also people on this forum who say he's not been as bad as some would have you believe AND, I spoke with a chap this morning who is Hearts through and through who said: Don't believe their shite. He's been fine.

That opinion accords with my own experience and natural prejudices so where does the truth lie? There is also, clearly, an anti-Australian sentiment among some forumites which I would perceive as racism if my ancestors were not all MacDonalds and Davidsons.

Having said that, I do think Hearts have too many Australians which can be a problem during international breaks in Asia.

There definitely does have to be a “boo boy” for some people, that being said though Kye was in a bit of a tough run, he started the season pretty well with Kents physically covering for Kye’s biggest weakness. PAOK at home he played pretty well overall but he made a stupid mistake giving away the penalty then got outmuscled a couple of times in the final few minutes (something that was far too common last year). Since that game he’s had a few mistakes on the bounce and in his position that will always be more noticeable than others.

The anti-Aussie sentiment from some posters is mainly due to them not being impressed with recruitment as a whole. Most of us recognise they’re good players as a whole but for whatever reason the squad hasn’t fully clicked this season, if we’d signed 5 Greek or Spanish players the last 2 years & underperformed you’d see the same sentiment & if we signed only Scottish players you’d see people bemoaning a lack of imagination and crying out for foreign players.

Delighted he had a good game as he really needed it, hopefully this gets him back on the horse as when he’s on his game he’s an excellent defender.

Glad to hear he had a good game. Fair play to him for turning a corner.

Needs a heck of a lot more than one game though to move me into the gushing world cup star mindset many on here have.

23 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

There definitely does have to be a “boo boy” for some people, that being said though Kye was in a bit of a tough run, he started the season pretty well with Kents physically covering for Kye’s biggest weakness. PAOK at home he played pretty well overall but he made a stupid mistake giving away the penalty then got outmuscled a couple of times in the final few minutes (something that was far too common last year). Since that game he’s had a few mistakes on the bounce and in his position that will always be more noticeable than others.

The anti-Aussie sentiment from some posters is mainly due to them not being impressed with recruitment as a whole. Most of us recognise they’re good players as a whole but for whatever reason the squad hasn’t fully clicked this season, if we’d signed 5 Greek or Spanish players the last 2 years & underperformed you’d see the same sentiment & if we signed only Scottish players you’d see people bemoaning a lack of imagination and crying out for foreign players.

Delighted he had a good game as he really needed it, hopefully this gets him back on the horse as when he’s on his game he’s an excellent defender.

In fairness it's also because they've on the whole been pretty poor/underwhelming...certainly not good enough to suggest we should sign lots more. Devlin is limited but I do love him mainly due to his attitude and work ethic. Bozanic was okay. Kisnorbo was good but another era. The rest just aren't great sadly.

Edited by Taffin

The way we had been playing has not helped any defender, passing it about backwards and sideways among defenders invites the press and the inevitable mistakes. The team playing on the front foot made the difference on Saturday. The defence looked more comfortable. Hopefully a turning point for Kye and a boost for his confidence. If the defensive 4 can keep it's shape (most of the time) we have enough beyond them to hurt opponents. IMO.

The Black Prince
24 minutes ago, Taffin said:

In fairness it's also because they've on the whole been pretty poor/underwhelming...certainly not good enough to suggest we should sign lots more. Devlin is limited but I do love him mainly due to his attitude and work ethic. Bozanic was okay. Kisnorbo was good but another era. The rest just aren't great sadly.

Is it fairness though, when so many have said Rowles, Atki and Devlin were the best three last match and the Hoff looked good and even raised the performance of those around him when he came on?

I've been part of this forum over a year and I've seen Kye is brilliant/Kye is shite; Devlin is worth 15 mill/Devlin is shite; Atki is hopeless/Atki has been the best player all season.

The Hoff is rubbish/ the Hoff improves everyone around him.

Are you guys kidding?

I know all these players really well. It's been an adjustment for them - for sure - but all are quality. All but Hoff are internationals and have performed against high quality teams. Class is permanent but perception changes match by match and agenda by agenda. 

2 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Is it fairness though, when so many have said Rowles, Atki and Devlin were the best three last match and the Hoff looked good and even raised the performance of those around him when he came on?

I've been part of this forum over a year and I've seen Kye is brilliant/Kye is shite; Devlin is worth 15 mill/Devlin is shite; Atki is hopeless/Atki has been the best player all season.

Are you guys kidding?

I know all these players really well. It's been an adjustment for them - for sure - but all are quality. All but Hoff are internationals and have performed against high quality teams. Class is permanent but perception changes match by match and agenda by agenda. 

Real class shows when you play teams like St Mirren away. So it will be interesting to see how we perform this Saturday especially the Class Aussies.

One Swallow doesn't make a summer.

5 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

It's one game, a game I didn't see admittedly and I'm delighted they all had good games. You cannot deny that overall the Australian contingent at Hearts has been no better or worse than average SPL journeymen (Kisnorbo maybe aside and that's going back some)... journeymen we could pick up withing a 200 mile radius.

5 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

Are you guys kidding?

I think that's part of the issue. Everything has an equal and opposite reaction. Some are lashing out at the hyperbolic praise folk gave/give them. They're decent professional footballers, who've had a number of stinkers and a few really good games. None of them are abysmal, and none of them are class. Hearts will likely be the pinnacle of their club careers imo.

Edited by Taffin

The Black Prince
5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's one game, a game I didn't see admittedly and I'm delighted they all had good games. You cannot deny that overall the Australian contingent at Hearts has been no better or worse than average SPL journeymen (Kisnorbo maybe aside and that's going back some)... journeymen we could pick up withing a 200 mile radius.

I think that's part of the issue. Everything has an equal and opposite reaction. Some are lashing out at the hyperbolic praise folk gave/give them. They're decent professional footballers, who've had a number of stinkers and a few really good games. None of them are abysmal, and none of them are class. Hearts will likely be the pinnacle of their club careers imo.

Probably correct. Mind you, none but Rowles would be regarded in Oz as first 11 (maybe Atki, but there is debate). The fact that Rowles has been doubted by so many genuinely makes me wonder whether SPL is the right league for him.

Having said that, if he survives the toughness of the SPL it will probably make hime a much better player. Of Hearts four Oz players - he's the one most likely to go to a higher level.

He was very good on Saturday. Dealt with everything chucked at him but he had no direct opponent almost the entire game. That was a bit bewildering but it was Barry Robson I suppose who is dreadful. Robinson/McInnes won’t be as generous with their approach. 

I still doubt he’ll turn things around but it’s a good start. The real acid test will be in the next couple of games when he’ll be isolated against bigger centre forwards who will be instructed to target him at every opportunity. With Sibbick coming in and showing well recently he’s now got that competition that’ll hopefully keep him focused. Also Halks should be back before Xmas then he’ll really need to be faultless to keep his jersey. 

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

There was a couple of Scottish Cup final goalscorers you've missed out too. One was completely honking though. 

On 17/09/2023 at 09:11, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Naismith was on his case during the week to be more physical and to impose himself more.

Seemed to work, helps having Frankie beside him as well, guiding him through the game.

Let's hope it's the start of a decent run for Knowles.

Credit where credit is due on Saturday.

On 17/09/2023 at 08:49, H2 said:

Man of the match might be about right, but let's face it his opposition was lacking, a lot. 

Hm, yes and no.  Miovski can finish, and he's strong and a handful.  And Aberdeen tried to play down Kye's throat - his perceived weakness.  He dealt with all of that, including standing strong on a number of occasions, winning his headers, making blocks and he used the ball a bit more progressively too - he zips it out wide well when its on.

St Mirren will be a new and different test of course.  Kye is a good player, and it's amazing what a few decent games in a row does for a good player.  Our defence hasn't overly been the problem this season.  Every single goal you lose can be picked apart and I'm sure VVD can be blamed for goals Liverpool lose if you look close enough.  The rest of the team need to be looking for and keeping the ball higher up the park and being more dangerous - amazing how much better your CHs look when they're not having to defend all the time and the rest of the team want to take the ball from them!!!!

Aberdeen had clearly marked him as the weaklink in our team. Well done Kye for setting up your game and proving them wrong. Keep it going into the next match.