Kye Rowles

SM Sheffield

Played well on Saturday 

However one swallow does not make a summer.

His performances need far more consistency if we are to be convinced of his long term future at Hearts.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chuck Berry

• Chimp

• Pasquale for King

• Thunder and Lightning

2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Is it fairness though, when so many have said Rowles, Atki and Devlin were the best three last match and the Hoff looked good and even raised the performance of those around him when he came on?

I've been part of this forum over a year and I've seen Kye is brilliant/Kye is shite; Devlin is worth 15 mill/Devlin is shite; Atki is hopeless/Atki has been the best player all season.

The Hoff is rubbish/ the Hoff improves everyone around him.

Are you guys kidding?

I know all these players really well. It's been an adjustment for them - for sure - but all are quality. All but Hoff are internationals and have performed against high quality teams. Class is permanent but perception changes match by match and agenda by agenda. 

You need to take a few different things in to consideration

Some are not Hearts fans

Some just want rid of the board and can make a better case for that if recruitment is sub standard 

Some are just ******s who like to wind up other Hearts supporters

Some do not have a clue 

2 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Probably correct. Mind you, none but Rowles would be regarded in Oz as first 11 (maybe Atki, but there is debate). The fact that Rowles has been doubted by so many genuinely makes me wonder whether SPL is the right league for him.

Having said that, if he survives the toughness of the SPL it will probably make hime a much better player. Of Hearts four Oz players - he's the one most likely to go to a higher level.

Without having seen Newy, I'd actually agree with that.  Some will scoff at it, but I see where you're coming from.  

Don't get overly obsessed with what folk think on here.  You have to remember that a vast number of football fans wouldn't know the game if it booted them up the hole.  Then there's the venn diagram of online shoutery - those who know least shout most, you know....

So when someone is being called shite, but some are pointing out he has upside or praising good games, all you can really read in to it is perhaps his form has been patchy.  If you ONLY see someone being called shite, he's probably shite, though!haha.  Not sure we have anyone in that camp tbf.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

In fairness it's also because they've on the whole been pretty poor/underwhelming...certainly not good enough to suggest we should sign lots more. Devlin is limited but I do love him mainly due to his attitude and work ethic. Bozanic was okay. Kisnorbo was good but another era. The rest just aren't great sadly.

I’d also say it’s largely recency bias because we’ve been poor - case in point our German signings have been

-Sowah

-Langer

-Kio

Thats a much poorer list than the Aussies yet if we signed another German player you wouldn’t see many complaints about it based off previous players.

The only Aussie I can think that was really genuinely poor was Dylan McGowan (Kuol I don’t really count as he wasn’t ready to help pull us out of a sinking ship & will surely go on to a high level) & even then it was a tough time to be a Hearts player when he broke through (his derby record is actually better than Ryans though). Atkinson is coming onto a game and looks much improved defensively, Garruccio was pretty good & should never have been dropped for Demi, that 100% stopped his momentum, Ryan McGowan is a club hero & actually a much better right back than he gets credit for (he’s not a 10 though 😂) & Edwards never got a chance but looked good when he did play.

Rowles is a strange one because there’s definitely something there but he needs to step it up & show it more often.

I've said this a hundred times on this site but players normally need a season to settle in to a new team. Add in to that changing country and the high turnover we've had these last 2-3 seasons and a lot of the players we have signed are on a really steep learning curve.

We need to stick by them, support the team and more will come good than will fail.

Hopefully in future windows we are only adding 2-3 new players to the squad...and it's top quality, rather than depth across a number of positions.

5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Hm, yes and no.  Miovski can finish, and he's strong and a handful.  And Aberdeen tried to play down Kye's throat - his perceived weakness.  He dealt with all of that, including standing strong on a number of occasions, winning his headers, making blocks and he used the ball a bit more progressively too - he zips it out wide well when its on.

St Mirren will be a new and different test of course.  Kye is a good player, and it's amazing what a few decent games in a row does for a good player.  Our defence hasn't overly been the problem this season.  Every single goal you lose can be picked apart and I'm sure VVD can be blamed for goals Liverpool lose if you look close enough.  The rest of the team need to be looking for and keeping the ball higher up the park and being more dangerous - amazing how much better your CHs look when they're not having to defend all the time and the rest of the team want to take the ball from them!!!!

Hm Yes and no.I think Kye has it I've little doubt about it, my concern this season has been his physicality and getting involved with the tough tussles he's been losing, odd as he seemed to do ok in these circumstances when he joined us. 

12 minutes ago, H2 said:

Hm Yes and no.I think Kye has it I've little doubt about it, my concern this season has been his physicality and getting involved with the tough tussles he's been losing, odd as he seemed to do ok in these circumstances when he joined us. 

I think a good CH, and certainly a good defensive unit as a whole has ways of dealing with this. Otheriwse it'd be easy just to chuck your 6ft4 CF up against Cannavaro or whatever.  Extreme example, but you get the point.  Not sure our own, or Scottish football's equivalent, but I'm sure not every CH has been a brute!!

It's about not getting tight, or knowing when you want to be touch-tight and with whom, knowing when you can and cant get to the ball, about dropping for the flick, holding a payer up and waiting for support, all these things which are to do with reading the game and in-the-moment decisions.

As it happens, I think Kye defends his box well. He wins plenty balls in to the box - his issue has more been when he gets tight on a big guy who rolls him (Rowles him???) using strength and gets away from him.  Straight up defending his box, I dont think he's so bad.  Funny, cos opposite for Toby, no one is getting by him, even if you roll him, he's got you.  Balls in to the box, not so much.

What I see anyway, maybe stats don't back that up!!!

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I think a good CH, and certainly a good defensive unit as a whole has ways of dealing with this. Otheriwse it'd be easy just to chuck your 6ft4 CF up against Cannavaro or whatever.  Extreme example, but you get the point.  Not sure our own, or Scottish football's equivalent, but I'm sure not every CH has been a brute!!

It's about not getting tight, or knowing when you want to be touch-tight and with whom, knowing when you can and cant get to the ball, about dropping for the flick, holding a payer up and waiting for support, all these things which are to do with reading the game and in-the-moment decisions.

As it happens, I think Kye defends his box well. He wins plenty balls in to the box - his issue has more been when he gets tight on a big guy who rolls him (Rowles him???) using strength and gets away from him.  Straight up defending his box, I dont think he's so bad.  Funny, cos opposite for Toby, no one is getting by him, even if you roll him, he's got you.  Balls in to the box, not so much.

What I see anyway, maybe stats don't back that up!!!

I guess the answer is roll Toby and Kye into one player!

Between this thread and the other Aussie ones , I can only come to the conclusion that a fair few posters on here have given up on their own ability to rate players and are now relying on the bullshit of a total moron who thinks the nationality of a player affects their ability to play a sport on a genetic level . This particular complete moron has seen Hearts more often in the last two years than he has brain cells 

Kye has come in for some criticism around his physicality. Heard all sorts with the main one being he needs to spend more time in the gym, bulking up. 

I think Sat proved one thing and one thing only. There is a hell of a difference between a defender who is struggling because of physicality Vs a defender who is struggling because they aren't being aggressive enough in games.

For me, the fact that he had one of his best games in a long time all stemmed from the fact that he was steaming into tackles, and opposition players, like his life depended on it. 

Was also interesting to see that Naismith had been in his ear and before the Sheep game challenging him to do better. 

Hopefully he takes that same aggression into each game from now on and moving forward. He played really well. No doubt about that but the aggression that he played with was more than noticeable. 

Edited by Hearts1975

11 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

Of Hearts four Oz players - he's the one most likely to go to a higher level.

Bingo.

There's always a Hearts player with a target on his back at any given time in this place, Rowles appears to have been the one recently given his dip in form but that's all it is, a dip that every player goes through. Next week it will be someone else.

He has all the attributes to play at a higher level, hence the long term contract. It's now upto him to maintain a consistently high level of performance to help Hearts and to earn him a move up the ladder.

11 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Bingo.

There's always a Hearts player with a target on his back at any given time in this place, Rowles appears to have been the one recently given his dip in form but that's all it is, a dip that every player goes through. Next week it will be someone else.

He has all the attributes to play at a higher level, hence the long term contract. It's now upto him to maintain a consistently high level of performance to help Hearts and to earn him a move up the ladder.

The criticism given to Rowles has been 100% justified as his performances have been way short of the standard required.

However, on Saturday he was absolutely superb showing the aggression and decisiveness that had been previously lacking.  The challenge now is to maintain that level week in, week out starting with St Mirren away on Saturday.

The Black Prince

I wonder if the dip in form was in any way attributable to his broken foot from last season and he suddenly lost confidence going into tackles?

If yes, then it really does only take one full-blooded match to get the confidence back. Will be interesting to see how he goes from now on.

This thread proves the old saying that you're only as good as your last game. Equally one swallow doesn't make a summer.

In the middle ground he has had a number of sub par performances followed by a very good one in a decent team performance against a team struggling. The proof for Rowles is keeping that level up. For all fans we hope he does especially with Cochrane out .

22 minutes ago, The Black Prince said:

I wonder if the dip in form was in any way attributable to his broken foot from last season and he suddenly lost confidence going into tackles?

If yes, then it really does only take one full-blooded match to get the confidence back. Will be interesting to see how he goes from now on.

I'm not sure the world cup helped any of our Aussies in truth.  Cam took a big confidence hit not getting on the pitch in Qatar - big high from selection to an internal frustration not playing.  Kye went from doing brilliantly to an injury and straight into WC where he did very well, I think he was exhausted.

He then came back to a team struggling and missing defenders.  I thikn it was basically a long season, especially for the Aussies.

Kye is a good player and I've said since before the season started that he'll show it this season, I'm sure of it.

What I find quite funny on here is every time a player who has had criticism has a good game, everyone seems to behave like it was his FIRST good game.  Kye has been excellent on a number of occasions this season already.  He and Kent have built a good partnership.  CH is not a concern for me.  In fact, the back 4 isn't.  Especially with Toby ready to step in at RB or CH during games where need be.

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

The criticism given to Rowles has been 100% justified as his performances have been way short of the standard required.

Criticism yes, but a lot of it - as per - was way OTT from numpties, wanting him kicked out or released immediately.

1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Criticism yes, but a lot of it - as per - was way OTT from numpties, wanting him kicked out or released immediately.

He certainly couldn't have complained if he had been dropped, but Saturday was a welcome return to form so credit to Rowles and if it required a rocket up the arse from Naismith then credit to Naismith as well.

18Jambo_dave74

I’ll now add Alusanya (who was on loan at Arbroath last season and looks to have scored less than 10 goals in his entire career) to the list of strikers that have bullied our World Cup superstar.