*** official Heart Of Midlothian v Aberdeen match thread ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
15 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Personally, what I took from yesterday's game is that we had better footballers than they did, and it showed.

Was there all that much difference tactically? I don't think so, and a lot of posters were predicting that we'd be over-run in midfield which didn't transpire.

Hence, I see no reason why this team should be at any disadvantage simply by playing on their pitch. It's not like Aberdeen are going to 'do a Kilmarnock' at their home ground, although you never know!

So, should they adopt an attacking strategy as per at Tynecastle then unless Robson figures out how to nullify our strengths, or their players improve drastically (if Duk & Miovski are their star players and what we witnessed was their level then they're done for, and that's before looking at their £500K Gueye who must be the real Gueye's look-alike cousin), then the only issue for us would be our own mentality and I'm pretty confident that Naismith isn't going to, ahem, 'do a Robbie' and try to be too clever as regards chopping and changing which in itself seems to affect a team's mind-set, if not simply cause confusion.

The other big factor is whether we fall foul of the dreaded injury crisis which seems to have hampered us over several seasons.

As for a managerial change? Yup, that too could have an impact either positive or negative, but if Neilson does end up there prior to us visiting them then I'm not sure that he'd have enough to work with to make that team significantly better, even if he had some good tactical ideas (don't laugh too much, folks) and would likely need a decent transfer window which in itself might be far-fetched if what they've brought in recently is anything to go by.

For sure, though it would make for a very interesting encounter and be an away sell-out. Thankfully, I missed the trip to Aberdeen in March due to an impromptu holiday, but I'd defo not miss that!

Anyhoo, methinks that next Saturday v St Mirren will give us a better indication of how we'll be approaching away fixtures and I'll be less than best pleased if, like the 13th May, the highlight of the 4 bus journey is their 'Blaggis' pie which was, to be fair, absolutely splendid. That's steak, haggis, and black-pudding, by the way.

Screenshot_20230917_134313_Gallery.jpg

We have an injury crisis.

Gordon, Offiah, Halkett, Beni, Calum (until yesterday), McKay, Tagawa.

And Halkett has got Vlad Flu.

Out of that 8, 6-7 will want to consider themselves first team starters.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Gizmo

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Much better yesterday . I think much of that was down to scoring earlyish and Aberdeen having to open up and not just sit in or press in their half and sit off in ours 

Good result Naismith - well done and keep it up

3 minutes ago, Queensland Jambo said:

In that case, I'll amend that to an even bigger injury crisis. Should any of these players return and improve the team, then all the better.

4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Yeah I was keen to stress that I wasn't bashing Haring, we were effective first half but when the neiwenhof came on the whole team looked more balanced, quicker, more fluid in attack

To me Haring always calms the game down for good or ill. When we’re getting pinned back and struggling, he calms the game and that’s great. When we’re trying to push forward on an opponent on their heels, that’s not so great. 

On defence though he’s always been a little wobbly and I think it’s getting worse as he slows down.

Had a tremendous day out in the Gorgie Suite yesterday. Nice food, lots of beer and wine, nice bunch of Jambos around the table, decent seats, even saw the wee one score a goal at half time.

Woukd thoroughly recommend it. Got photos with Cammy, Shanks, Kye and Gary Mackay too! Fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Much better yesterday . I think much of that was down to scoring earlyish and Aberdeen having to open up and not just sit in or press in their half and sit off in ours 

Good result Naismith - well done and keep it up

It was encouraging to see decent performances from those who have not been so great this season.

Rowles and Forrest did very well compared to how they have been albeit against a poor team.

Nice also to see Kingsley getting back to his old self with a class performance.

Boyce got his goal which will help his confidence adn Vargas was impressive and a pity he dodn't score with that great shot he had.

I like him with his directness on the ball and willingness to go to the bye line and pick a pass.

Also pleasing to see Nieuwenhof get a game and do well.

I was hoping Beni would maybe get 15/20 minutes but not to be.

It will be a different type of game next week in Paisley and that will show just how much we have improved or otherwise.

Edited by wavydavy

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Personally, what I took from yesterday's game is that we had better footballers than they did, and it showed.

Was there all that much difference tactically? I don't think so, and a lot of posters were predicting that we'd be over-run in midfield which didn't transpire.

Hence, I see no reason why this team should be at any disadvantage simply by playing on their pitch. It's not like Aberdeen are going to 'do a Kilmarnock' at their home ground, although you never know!

So, should they adopt an attacking strategy as per at Tynecastle then unless Robson figures out how to nullify our strengths, or their players improve drastically (if Duk & Miovski are their star players and what we witnessed was their level then they're done for, and that's before looking at their £500K Gueye who must be the real Gueye's look-alike cousin), then the only issue for us would be our own mentality and I'm pretty confident that Naismith isn't going to, ahem, 'do a Robbie' and try to be too clever as regards chopping and changing which in itself seems to affect a team's mind-set, if not simply cause confusion.

The other big factor is whether we fall foul of the dreaded injury crisis which seems to have hampered us over several seasons.

As for a managerial change? Yup, that too could have an impact either positive or negative, but if Neilson does end up there prior to us visiting them then I'm not sure that he'd have enough to work with to make that team significantly better, even if he had some good tactical ideas (don't laugh too much, folks) and would likely need a decent transfer window which in itself might be far-fetched if what they've brought in recently is anything to go by.

For sure, though it would make for a very interesting encounter and be an away sell-out. Thankfully, I missed the trip to Aberdeen in March due to an impromptu holiday, but I'd defo not miss that!

Anyhoo, methinks that next Saturday v St Mirren will give us a better indication of how we'll be approaching away fixtures and I'll be less than best pleased if, like the 13th May, the highlight of the 4 bus journey is their 'Blaggis' pie which was, to be fair, absolutely splendid. That's steak, haggis, and black-pudding, by the way.

Screenshot_20230917_134313_Gallery.jpg

All fair,  and agreed- away to St mirren will be a better Indication of where we are going. 

On our worst days we will beat Aberdeen at  home!

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aberdeen will beat us at thier gaff.

Aberdeen have been shite at Tynecastle for about 30 years now.

Unfortunately,  we're just as bad up there.

Bob to be their manager this season.

Said on a couple of threads last week, I know they’re already looking at Neilson as a replacement for Robson.

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Said on a couple of threads last week, I know they’re already looking at Neilson as a replacement for Robson.

Will be interesting.

By The Light..

Defence superb MOTM Rowles and with Kent on a soft yellow from 10 mins both Atkinson & Sibbick were brilliant also.

We had 9 corners all with zero threat, it's not often we score (or even get a shot on target) from corners though so no change there. Kent going up every time not getting to him though. I thought we played better when Haring went off, not sure why wait to 55 mins to do that could've done it 45.

Reading the Motherwell match report sounds like they were unlucky not to score and St Midden scored against the run of play. Really hope we set a market next week and stuff them.

I enjoyed hearing the Aberdeen lassie on Sportsound yesterday. Kept bleating on about their 7 game winning run as if it was the standard for Aberdeen. 

It was short lived form.

Aberdeen were sh7te before it and have been sh7te ever since. 

They were lucky to finish 3rd.

This Conference League campaign could be popcorn material.  

7 hours ago, gordiegords said:

Aberdeen are going to get absolutely walloped on Thursday based on what i saw from them yesterday, they were hopeless.

That could be a fisting tbh, they are away to Frankfurt right? I reckon if Frankfurt take there chances it could be a very sore one for the dandies, might even break the hibs record defeat, hopefully not, just.

26 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I enjoyed hearing the Aberdeen lassie on Sportsound yesterday. Kept bleating on about their 7 game winning run as if it was the standard for Aberdeen. 

It was short lived form.

Aberdeen were sh7te before it and have been sh7te ever since. 

They were lucky to finish 3rd.

This Conference League campaign could be popcorn material.  

Correct, Aberdeen are brutal. It just makes our collapse last season all the more galling. 

I hesitate to say much to be honest, as we have a lot more to prove first. 

jamboinglasgow
9 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Even though they are squad players you can also include Halliday and Pollock in that who was out.

We have quality in the squad, but recent works have been a failure for the players, whether that is through how the management has used them or that its a group of players who got too much inside themselves that we became too cautious and unsure what to do. 

Hopefully yesterday is the start of things getting going rather than a flash in the pan result against a poor team. This week will be the first in a while where the club has all fit players available for the whole week, so more time to work with them and if Naismith is as good at one on one management as it has appeared should help a lot. On that note, I wonder if we will see Naismith work on Lowry to unlock his potential, would be the ideal person.

On 16/09/2023 at 13:36, pettigrewsstylist said:

Paper aeroplane fifties getting launched at stage by 9. 😀

Dont threaten me with a good time! I will be there!!

Always steer clear of KB at weekends so a bit late with assessment.  Really pleased with Saturday.  Many improved individual performances most notably Rowles.  Atkinson gets a bit better each game and Kingsley looked like the player of 18 months ago.   Devlin is that good and we need to all realise that while we still have him.  I was also pleased with the contribution of Subs.  Hof looks a decent player and on Saturday's showing Grant still has a contribution to make to this squad.  What was most pleasing was the tempo we set which lasted the whole game.  When we play that bit quicker I don't mind mistakes or when things don't come off, the intention and speed of thought is there.  We need to have that every game.  Of course one swallow doesn't make a summer but in football you are only as good as your last game.

13 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Always steer clear of KB at weekends so a bit late with assessment.  Really pleased with Saturday.  Many improved individual performances most notably Rowles.  Atkinson gets a bit better each game and Kingsley looked like the player of 18 months ago.   Devlin is that good and we need to all realise that while we still have him.  I was also pleased with the contribution of Subs.  Hof looks a decent player and on Saturday's showing Grant still has a contribution to make to this squad.  What was most pleasing was the tempo we set which lasted the whole game.  When we play that bit quicker I don't mind mistakes or when things don't come off, the intention and speed of thought is there.  We need to have that every game.  Of course one swallow doesn't make a summer but in football you are only as good as your last game.

Fair assessment. 

Ex member of the SaS

Been away and first chance to post, Great result and a much improved performance. Hopefully the team will take confidence from this and sees they can play a more attacking game. Next up the Midden who are unbeaten, ( until now!) we have to set down a marker and not allow another team to take third this season. Get third and the cash involved and we can kick on with better players.

pettigrewsstylist
58 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

Pretty much where Im at.

IveSeenTheLight
On 16/09/2023 at 20:07, martoon said:

Good news, bud.👍 

As was Hearts 2-0. 😊 

Aye, you deserved your win albeit we were pish.

As bad as we were, there was not too much in it.

Fans talk is that we don't think Robson can turn it around

6 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

There was plenty in it . Two goals , more shots , more shots on target , more possession , and at one point me must have passed the ball 20 times with out a sheep shagger touching it

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

There was plenty in it . Two goals , more shots , more shots on target , more possession , and at one point me must have passed the ball 20 times with out a sheep shagger touching it

I admit that you were the better team and deserved to win.

Slightly fortunate with your first as it took a deflection but then you takes your chances

Our defending for the second was comically woeful

Surprised Rowes got your MOTM, I personally liked Devlin who always seems to give an option

4 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Slightly fortunate with your first as it took a deflection but then you takes your chances

Surprised Rowes got your MOTM, I personally liked Devlin who always seems to give an option

YAWN.

No one cares.

2 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

You make your own luck and I would bet on Oda scoring with out the deflection . Vargas was unlucky not to ping your keeper if you go down that route . You are a back to front team and it is great to watch from an opposition point of view . Horrible route one hoofball and your slightly above average midfielders taken out of the game with neck cramps from watching the ball fly over their heads . Also a very ugly team with diving rats and cloggers all over the pitch . Big physical cry babies really . Glad you beat us to ( :rofl:) Devlin and McGrath too , both look shite 

IveSeenTheLight
34 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You make your own luck and I would bet on Oda scoring with out the deflection . Vargas was unlucky not to ping your keeper if you go down that route . You are a back to front team and it is great to watch from an opposition point of view . Horrible route one hoofball and your slightly above average midfielders taken out of the game with neck cramps from watching the ball fly over their heads . Also a very ugly team with diving rats and cloggers all over the pitch . Big physical cry babies really . Glad you beat us to ( :rofl:) Devlin and McGrath too , both look shite 

Not a lot to argue with there.

We certainly are playing horrible football of late. A bit like the old Hearts teams 😛

IveSeenTheLight
35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Aberdeen are going to get frank****ed .  

I'm not looking forward to Thursday thats for sure.

Think we'll need to go 5-4-1

23 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

Is this confirmed re Halkett?

20 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Not a lot to argue with there.

We certainly are playing horrible football of late. A bit like the old Hearts teams 😛

Of ever there was a side that deserves the big physical tag it was Aberdeen on Saturday 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Aberdeen have been shite for quite some time, they had a 7 game winning run chasing paper bags over the pitch for a tackle, thought Robson had enough to know that, apparently not, and now spunked millions on average defenders and the players that got Goodwin the sack.

Not sure they are favourites for any game this season while Robbo stays :)

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Who would be your choice to take over?

IveSeenTheLight
21 hours ago, Sooks said:

Of ever there was a side that deserves the big physical tag it was Aberdeen on Saturday 

Are we really a big physical side?

Many of our players are relatively small (Shinnie, Clarkson, Barron etc)

IveSeenTheLight
15 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who would be your choice to take over?

Not really given it much thought to be honest.

I think we need to try someone from a different style / mentality.

3 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Are we really a big physical side?

Many of our players are relatively small (Shinnie, Clarkson, Barron etc)

looked a lot bigger than us from where I was sitting . You have a couple of smaller players but they are central midfielders …………. Your decent players actually but the lesbian dinner lady seems to prefer to see it launched over their heads :lol: 

IveSeenTheLight
Just now, Sooks said:

looked a lot bigger than us from where I was sitting . You have a couple of smaller players but they are central midfielders …………. Your decent players actually but the lesbian dinner lady seems to prefer to see it launched over their heads :lol: 

McGrath, Devlin, Duk are not big either, Duk maybe a bit more muscular

Miovski, Sokler etc may be taller, but their not overly physical, more like beanpoles.

Really just our defenders which may be classed as "big / physical" players

Certainly the fans are not enjoying hoofball.

Maybe an occasional option as a counter attack, but not our go to way to play.

Robson will need to change that else he wont last long

22 hours ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

Did it look to you that the players had chucked it by this point? Having not seen you that much this season, the players look bereft of ideas and totally not with Robson’s elected style. 

Do you always play so directly? Or is it only against us?

For the second goal, the challenges, if you can call it that are in the words of Naismith, “powderpuff” and nobody even touches Boyce the whole time he’s in the box. 

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Did it look to you that the players had chucked it by this point? Having not seen you that much this season, the players look bereft of ideas and totally not with Robson’s elected style. 

Do you always play so directly? Or is it only against us?

For the second goal, the challenges, if you can call it that are in the words of Naismith, “powderpuff” and nobody even touches Boyce the whole time he’s in the box. 

Not sure if they "chucked it" or was just unfit.

Shinnie was nowhere near it. Powder puff challenges and nobody marking Boyce at all.

We've been playing long quite a bit and the fans are not liking it

14 minutes ago, IveSeenTheLight said:

McGrath, Devlin, Duk are not big either, Duk maybe a bit more muscular

Miovski, Sokler etc may be taller, but their not overly physical, more like beanpoles.

Really just our defenders which may be classed as "big / physical" players

Certainly the fans are not enjoying hoofball.

Maybe an occasional option as a counter attack, but not our go to way to play.

Robson will need to change that else he wont last long

You must surely realise he is already gone ? Dead man walking

IveSeenTheLight
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

You must surely realise he is already gone ? Dead man walking

Most likely.

I think we need to take a different approach.

Jimmy Thelin I think would be an interesting coach I'd love us to try and get

Didn't catch the full game, but enjoyed the 10min highlights on hearts tv.  It looked like we played with an intensity, passed forward, took risks -- a sight for sore eyes!  Well done to Naismith and the team.  Let's build on this.