Wake up - this week is a true reflection on the SPL versus other leagues

Greenbank2

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Also something to note is that the Scotland national team is suddenly doing good things now that most of the team are not drawn from Scottish clubs.

All of Scotland's best players don't play in Scotland.

Good point.  Steve Clarke has struck it lucky to be national team manager at a time when  so many are playing in the EPL,  plus a few abroad.    I don't think its just co-incidence that many of their clubs have highly experienced  coaches/managers who've been at top clubs in Europe.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Pasquale for King

• frankblack

• kingantti1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, reaper said:

That is another topic. I was only saying what would make Hearts more powerful,  not what would help Scottish footballers improve.

Btw, even if Scottish footballers improve,  there is no guarantee the national team coach will select the best players. A Greek guy called Douvikas scored the most goals in Holland last year. Just signed for Celta. He is young and in form. National coach didn't even pick him and instead picked a washed up Pavlidis..

The Greek strikers do well there though, this donkey scored 26 times in 2020-21 for VVV Venlo but wasn’t great here for Celtic. 

4A32BA7D-D989-4A8F-AB95-4FEE6CB98729.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The Greek strikers do well there though, this donkey scored 26 times in 2020-21 for VVV Venlo but wasn’t great here for Celtic. 

4A32BA7D-D989-4A8F-AB95-4FEE6CB98729.jpeg

Good point. But even with those goals, no one wanted him and to be fair, if he was a starter at Celtic, he would have probably been the golden boot winner.

Douvikas had La Liga teams fighting over him. He is the real deal.

Pasquale for King
Just now, reaper said:

Good point. But even with those goals, no one wanted him and to be fair, if he was a starter at Celtic, he would have probably been the golden boot winner.

Douvikas had La Liga teams fighting over him. He is the real deal.

When they said they were getting the top scorer in the Dutch league folk were impressed, I think he was the joint top scorer in our league with Regan-Cooke. 
Never heard of that other guy but he sounds like a player 👍🏽

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think it's evidence of anything but that we already knew, other leagues have more money, more money gets you better players and a better general quality of play Let's take a look at the most glaring example of it.

hubz valuation on transfermarkt 12.35 million euros

Aston Villa valuation 610.5 million. It's almost laughable.

Aye Hubz players are never worth that much

We gifted them 4 goals over two legs. Without a doubt PAOK have better players but it doesn't matter if we're playing Cowdenbeath or Real Madrid, can't do the basics, we'll concede goals. It was miles away from what's expected. Anyone making excuses for that... hasn't actually got a ****ing clue. 

It was the same performance as against Dundee and they'd have probably battered us by a couple as well. 

Shockingly pish. 

AussieObserver

It seems several people are pointing out how weak the TV deal is for the SPFL. The Scottish Sun posted this 12 months ago. I have no idea whether the money distribution is equal across all SPFL clubs, though I'd be surprised if they were.

Total cash for domestic league rights coming into nations across Europe

T.V. companies believe our league doesn’t get peoples hearts racing - yet todays fixtures are wall to wall euphoria 😵‍💫

0577D47A-05EE-4FDE-BFE7-341104A698DE.jpeg

On 01/09/2023 at 23:48, AussieObserver said:

It seems several people are pointing out how weak the TV deal is for the SPFL. The Scottish Sun posted this 12 months ago. I have no idea whether the money distribution is equal across all SPFL clubs, though I'd be surprised if they were.

Total cash for domestic league rights coming into nations across Europe

My info may be out of date, but last I read the uglies get 60% between them with the other 10 splitting the remaining 40%. It doesn't take Einstein to work out that's £1.2M each. Another way in which they corrupt Scottish Football.

On 01/09/2023 at 22:16, Lone Striker said:

imo, it's crap at marketting  itself BECAUSE it's sh1te.      An increasing number of very good young players are realising this too, and going abroad while still in their teens  

An absurd paradoxt sums it up for me  - Love Hearts, but Hate  Scottish football.

alas you are far from alone. the game in Scotland is broken and utterly myopic in it's approach to progress.

Monster Munson
On 01/09/2023 at 12:03, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

So many mediocre players are made to look good playing in Scotland and our media big them up but as soon as they play in European competitions they get shown up as lacking basic skills. A lot of players arriving from other leagues can look good when they first arrive but I don't now if it's the facilities or the poor coaches here but they soon become as bad as the local players, sometimes worse even! 

We are a backwater for sure with two teams buying their way to local success. 

I've always been frustrated by this, its the same reason I never took to Ricky Burns as a boxer. Big man at home with his maw n da supporting him and he's a good European B fighter at best. But as soon as he went up against professionals who box as a way of life, he got caught short.