Champions League 2023/24

The Ultimate Worrier

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Its 2024 ffs, pansies? You clearly don’t remember con artists like Roy Aitken, Alex Mcleish,Willie Miller, Ally McCoist etc who all used various types of the dark arts to cheat their way to success. 
Unfortunately for dinosaurs like yourself the world and football has changed, and moved on. Its the norm now for most players to go over with or without contact and the ref has to make the judgement of who was in the wrong, even with VAR they still get it wrong sometimes unfortunately. Its no worse than defenders pulling and pushing players or wasting time. 

Willie Miller would referee the games.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Pasquale for King

• neilnunb

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ricardo Quaresma

Decent bet that Greizmann will lift the Trophy this year

19 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Exactly, so the whole foreign players bringing it with them is wrong. 

I think you could argue that "continental" players, as they were known back in the 70s when all this malarky kicked off, seemed to embrace the diving and writhing around culture a lot more readily.

I don't know if it was accepted as more part of the game over there at the time, but it was certainly more noticeable when Scottish/British clubs competed with them in European ties.

Maybe Marsh did this sort of thing, I personally don't know and I'm not disputing it, but McDonald certainly got himself a reputation for it.

However, from what I can recall, it came to our shores with a wallop from overseas starting in the 70s. Unfortunately, we had, and still have, a few players in our leagues who were more than happy to try the same thing on.

22 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Decent bet that Greizmann will lift the Trophy this year

I hope he does.

Hated Atletico after they kicked racellic off the park in the European Cup semi 50 years ago.... that was at a time when I was under the illusion that they were fine ambassadors for the Scottish game.

Now when I look back on that tie I have a wee smile to myself.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Dinosaurs? I am 30 years old.

Your attitude is of a bygone era. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Busby8 said:

I think you could argue that "continental" players, as they were known back in the 70s when all this malarky kicked off, seemed to embrace the diving and writhing around culture a lot more readily.

I don't know if it was accepted as more part of the game over there at the time, but it was certainly more noticeable when Scottish/British clubs competed with them in European ties.

Maybe Marsh did this sort of thing, I personally don't know and I'm not disputing it, but McDonald certainly got himself a reputation for it.

However, from what I can recall, it came to our shores with a wallop from overseas starting in the 70s. Unfortunately, we had, and still have, a few players in our leagues who were more than happy to try the same thing on.

The original post was that UK players wouldn’t cheat, which is absolute revisionist nonsense. If you want to call it professionalism then i would accept that players and teams from abroad are way ahead of ours and they’re skills and attributes are to be admired and copied. 

27 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The original post was that UK players wouldn’t cheat, which is absolute revisionist nonsense. If you want to call it professionalism then i would accept that players and teams from abroad are way ahead of ours and they’re skills and attributes are to be admired and copied. 

I didn't read All the posts back, but got the gist of what was being discussed.

And I'd agree that the idea that British players wouldn't cheat isn't accurate.

What is accurate though is that as much as UK players will cheat and dive, none of them react to the extent of that idiot we had to endure on Sunday, writhing around, throwing his legs in the air, thumping the turf with his first.

If you are in pain, those are not natural reactions. 

If that is the new professionalism, and I'm not suggesting that you are saying that, then the game is going to shit unless it is met with appropriate sanctions for offenders.

ArcticJambo
3 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In theory yeah, but if you watch it they're constantly banging into each other. It's a lot more physical than people think.

On that basis though, you can notice when someone dives in football. VAR if used correctly should be able to intervene on diving

!00%. It was something I was hoping VAR would help to eradicate. Can't stand cheating unsportsmanship.

Don't see tonight's matches being as fascinating bit reckon the two Spanish sides will be the happier in their respective ties come full time.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Busby8 said:

I didn't read All the posts back, but got the gist of what was being discussed.

And I'd agree that the idea that British players wouldn't cheat isn't accurate.

What is accurate though is that as much as UK players will cheat and dive, none of them react to the extent of that idiot we had to endure on Sunday, writhing around, throwing his legs in the air, thumping the turf with his first.

If you are in pain, those are not natural reactions. 

If that is the new professionalism, and I'm not suggesting that you are saying that, then the game is going to shit unless it is met with appropriate sanctions for offenders.

Yeah that was laughable and was so bad he almost cost them a penalty when a Rangers supporter booked him instead of giving a penalty to them at home in a derby ffs. 

Pasquale for King

Carragher made a good point that these games shouldn’t be on at the same time. 

RustyRightPeg
Just now, milky_26 said:

that 16 YO has already played 40 games for barcelona this season and has played 6 times for spain scoring 2 goals

He’s ridiculous. Incredible talent. 

alicante jambo

Watching the psg game and that woman co commentating is getting on my tits. Switch over to atletico madrid game and the other co commentator slavering shite too. Theres no need for them just keep 1 person as commentator its like a wee blether with the mate half the time.

All change in Paris. PSG 2-1 up with q goals in the first 5 minutes after half time. 

Seaside Dave
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

ftfy 

Are you as blind and biased when it comes to Hearts?!

Loyal babe

Mbappe leaving Psg looks justified after another defensive shambles leaving them chasing the tie again. 

He's more likely to win the CL at Madrid. 

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Mbappe leaving Psg looks justified after another defensive shambles leaving them chasing the tie again. 

I think Madrid will be slightly concerned at how easy Barca nullified his threat tonight. 

tian447
11 hours ago, JJ93 said:

Agreed. It started a a foreign import but now British players are doing it and have been for some time. I would personally fine my players for disrespecting the game if I was a manager. 

Quite ****ing right... If I was a manager and my players were diving for penalties instead of playing the game and getting the ball in the back of the net, they'd be finding themselves on the bench for a long time. 

What Saka done the other night was embarassing and pissed a clear goal scoring chance up the wall. Round the keeper and it's an empty net. 

Honestly, diving needs to have a red card attached to it to see it fully stamped out. You dive, anywhere, and you're off. 

BigAlim
10 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

I’m really interested to see how Mbappe will slot in to the Real team. He likes to take up the exact same positions as Vinicius out on the left. They’re also heavily linked with Alphonso Davies so could be a very lopsided team.

Luckies1874
On 15/03/2024 at 13:25, Mikey1874 said:

PSG dark horses. 

On 15/03/2024 at 13:29, Luckies1874 said:

Was at their home game v Sociedad and a couple of domestic matches recently. Just can't see them beat 3 top sides mate. On any given day of course with the talent and for me best player in the world available to them then yes, it can click, and they can beat anyone but they will have to seriously ride their luck against top teams when it comes to not conceding. Defensively they can be all over the place. For me it's a huge stretch that they would beat Man City at Wembley even if they get through Barca and then likely the nous of Simeone. 

Was at the Parc des Princes last night. Cracking game but PSG's inability to defend at a high level cost them as I expected. Will likely be goals in the 2nd leg too if PSG push and leave themselves exposed. They have so much talent going forward but are very frail against elite opposition.

Ron Burgundy

Arsenal have a cheek moaning about not getting a penalty for Saka's terrible dive. Just saw the clip of their defender picking the ball up in the box. incredible 😂

23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Your attitude is of a bygone era. 

I will respectfully disagree with you on that.

Also this hilarious hypocrisy of people saying that Saka is "a typical English diver" only to then be saying the likes of "oh you can't say that Continental players are culturally cheaters".... lol

17 hours ago, tian447 said:

Quite ****ing right... If I was a manager and my players were diving for penalties instead of playing the game and getting the ball in the back of the net, they'd be finding themselves on the bench for a long time. 

What Saka done the other night was embarassing and pissed a clear goal scoring chance up the wall. Round the keeper and it's an empty net. 

Honestly, diving needs to have a red card attached to it to see it fully stamped out. You dive, anywhere, and you're off. 

100%! 

I'd be furious if they did that. I honestly think VAR needs to retrospectively be used for diving/cheating of any kind and bans issued. No nonsense. This is a sport and cheating should not be tolerated.

milky_26
9 hours ago, BigAlim said:

I’m really interested to see how Mbappe will slot in to the Real team. He likes to take up the exact same positions as Vinicius out on the left. They’re also heavily linked with Alphonso Davies so could be a very lopsided team.

i dont see where he really fits into the madrid team. i think he would end up upsetting their dynamic and dressing room. As it stands i would play Vini Jr over Mbappe just now.

Luckies1874
3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i dont see where he really fits into the madrid team. i think he would end up upsetting their dynamic and dressing room. As it stands i would play Vini Jr over Mbappe just now.

Nah man, Mbappe is other worldly. Top 10 players I've seen in the flesh. He'll be unbelievable for Madrid. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nah man, Mbappe is other worldly. Top 10 players I've seen in the flesh. He'll be unbelievable for Madrid. 

If anyone can work out a system to accommodate Mbappe it's Ancelotti. Madrid have done well with Vinicius last 2 years since Mbappe was meant to sign in 2022. Mbappe more through the middle perhaps. Madrid have accommodated Bellingham brilliantly this season when he might have crowded out their other midfielders. Kroos still plays though Modric doesn't much. 

Deodato

Looking back at the three days of results, crazy to think English clubs could all be emptied out of Europe next week - bar Villa. I mean City, Arsenal and Liverpool are all in real danger of Brexit. 

BigAlim
7 hours ago, Deodato said:

Looking back at the three days of results, crazy to think English clubs could all be emptied out of Europe next week - bar Villa. I mean City, Arsenal and Liverpool are all in real danger of Brexit. 

I’m thinking I might check the odds on a Madrid derby in the final. I expect Leverkusen to win Europa and Villa to win the Conference 

RustyRightPeg
7 hours ago, Deodato said:

Wouldn't mind City staying in if it gave Arsenal and Liverpool a better chance at the league. Bored of City winning it now.

Deodato
On 12/04/2024 at 08:42, BigAlim said:

I’m thinking I might check the odds on a Madrid derby in the final. I expect Leverkusen to win Europa and Villa to win the Conference 

That'll be a lot of Spaniards in North London on 1st June! 

1971fozzy

This ref in the Barca game loves a card or 3.

some of the play acting now by a few of the Barca players is a bit much

Luckies1874

Huge opportunity for PSG here. They have been threatening throughout and will surely create some big chances. For me it's whether they can avoid any self inflicted nonsense defensively at the other end and avoid falling foul of a very card happy referee. 

Barcelona lost the plot :rolleyes4:

Xavi left the referee little choice I guess 😂 

Sooperstar

Barca are going to completely implode here. Expect at least another red card for them. 

OmiyaHearts

I'm no fan of the CL but both legs of all the semis have been entertaining this season.

OmiyaHearts
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Barca are going to completely implode here. Expect at least another red card for them. 

Heads have defo gone

M alle 

32 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

This ref in the Barca game loves a card or 3.

some of the play acting now by a few of the Barca players is a bit much

Mbappe is a great player but another Ref could have given him a second yellow after the goal. Objects flying in.

Ref’s an arsehole really. Lost control.

Edited by Boab