Nieuwenhof ( merged )

Jackhmfc1348

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Nobody can deny how bad he was against Celtic but cut the guy a break. He’s young, still learning and has already improved since he first arrived. We needed a ready made midfielder who could step into the breach and sort out our longstanding issues in midfield straight away, we got Calem, who isn’t that but that’s not his fault. 

What improvements have you seen? 

All i've seen is he's not mobile enough and don't think I've seen him make a single quality pass, so not sure what exactly he's supposed to be bringing to the team.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• GinRummy

• The Black Prince

• Chimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, 19052012 said:

Thought he was great against Hibs. Won the ball back, protected it well and brought play forward.

Early days yet.

I agree, it’s early days with him, and yes he did play well in the Hibs game. He was totally anonymous on Sunday.  I scarcely noticed that he was actually on the park. Now I get the “finding his feet” stuff,  but to be as out of the picture as that is not acceptable.  I hope someone is drumming that into him. 

3 hours ago, HopeDiouf said:

What improvements have you seen? 

All i've seen is he's not mobile enough and don't think I've seen him make a single quality pass, so not sure what exactly he's supposed to be bringing to the team.

Assuming you watch the games, you’ll see the difference between the performance he put in against st Johnstone then Partick in comparison to how he played against Ross County and  Hibs? 

I did say he was terrible against Celtic but been quoted by many as a potential motm in the two games I mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Assuming you watch the games, you’ll see the difference between the performance he put in against st Johnstone then Partick in comparison to how he played against Ross County and  Hibs? 

I did say he was terrible against Celtic but been quoted by many as a potential motm in the two games I mentioned. 

watched all those games, I've yet to see him contribute.

15 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

feel free to let me know what improvements you think you saw.

Not just me. Read the thread. He helped control the midfield in both the games I mentioned, carried the ball forward well and just generally played well. If you think he’s shite then fine, I can’t argue he was anything other than that on Sunday so I’m not going to argue too much about it. 

Something I will say is, he’s a young player with one decent season in the Australian  A league behind him (last season seemed to be his breakthrough year) and he’s our main midfield signing during the close season. A midfield that was badly misfiring the whole of last season. That’s not his fault. If you look on the transfer thread, not that it matters, I said we needed at least one more midfielder, several times. A comparison might be an academy player being loaned out to a championship side one season and expected to be the finished article after half a dozen games for the first team the following season. 

It’s also not his fault that Naismith, like Neilson before him, decided to play a two man midfield against celtics three. Hardly too surprising given all of the above that he was poor on Sunday. 

Edited by GinRummy

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not just me. Read the thread. He helped control the midfield in both the games I mentioned, carried the ball forward well and just generally played well. If you think he’s shite then fine, I can’t argue he was anything other than that on Sunday so I’m not going to argue too much about it. 

Something I will say is, he’s a young player with one decent season in the Australian  A league behind him (last season seemed to be his breakthrough year) and he’s our main midfield signing during the close season. A midfield that was badly misfiring the whole of last season. That’s not his fault. If you look on the transfer thread, not that it matters, I said we needed at least one more midfielder, several times. A comparison might be an academy player being loaned out to a championship side one season and expected to be the finished article after half a dozen games for the first team the following season. 

It’s also not his fault that Naismith, like Neilson before him, decided to play a two man midfield against celtics three. Hardly too surprising given all of the above that he was poor on Sunday. 

Fair enough.  For me he's too slow (similar to olly lee), an issue that ain't fixable. and he doesn't have exceptional technique or passing skills (ala steve fulton) to compensate for the caravan he is towing around behind him.

Edited by HopeDiouf

7 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Fair enough.  For me he's too slow (similar to olly lee), an issue that ain't fixable. and he doesn't have exceptional technique or passing skills (ala steve fulton) to compensate for the caravan he is towing around behind him.

It’s weird because although he doesn’t look pacey by any stretch, he seemed to read the game quite well against Hibs and Ross county and cope with the pace of the game well. On Sunday, he was just awful and looked miles off it. 

As you can probably tell, I’m more annoyed at the fact he was our only midfield signing and one that was always going to be a gamble given this is only his second season at any sort of (decent) level. 

Edited by GinRummy

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s weird because although he doesn’t look pacey by any stretch, he seemed to read the game quite well against Hibs and Ross county and cope with the pace of the game well. On Sunday, he was just awful and looked miles off it. 

As you can probably tell, I’m more annoyed at the fact he was our only midfield signing and one that was always going to be a gamble given this is only his second season at any sort of (decent) level. 

For me, he just didn't have that much to do in Hibs and Ross County games as we were comfortably in control.  Didn't see him do anything exceptional, maybe a couple of interceptions that was it.

Agree central midfield been an issue for a while.  Clear we need someone who is more than just a grafter beside Devlin.  Grant seems our most technical player, but neither of our managers seems to have fancied him for some reason.

14 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

For me, he just didn't have that much to do in Hibs and Ross County games as we were comfortably in control.  Didn't see him do anything exceptional, maybe a couple of interceptions that was it.

Agree central midfield been an issue for a while.  Clear we need someone who is more than just a grafter beside Devlin.  Grant seems our most technical player, but neither of our managers seems to have fancied him for some reason.

The only thing about Grant is (and for me this is proven) he can’t effectively play in a two man midfield. I’d like to see us play a more tradional 4-3-3, that doesn’t leave Devlin and whoever he plays with, with so much to do. 

• 3 weeks later...
Glamorgan Jambo
7 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Proper baller.

Another good game under his belt.

Agreed. Carries the ball well. 
If there’s one thing he needs to improve it’s his long passing. Given Naismith wants us to constantly switch sides.

8 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Proper baller.

Another good game under his belt.

Agreed. Slow burner now starting to show why we signed him 👍

Had a great run second half just the final ball that let him down. Hopefully we get to see the best of him playing a bit further forward. Thought the midfield worked well today. Beni seemed to be back to his best. 

BangkokHearts

Definitely a player there. 

He's getting better as he settles in and adapts to the pace of the game here. 

Quality signing. 

The Black Prince
19 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

What a bunch of tw@ts on this thread FS

The anti-Hoff agenda has been both weird and tedious.

kingantti1874
3 hours ago, The Black Prince said:

The anti-Hoff agenda has been both weird and tedious.

it’s really nothing to do with the hof mate.  It’s all about naisy out, budge out and savage out.

the babies don’t get their way so have a tantrum and throw mud at whatever they can think off

they think hearts are soft, he’s comes across as a nice lad and because he was injured early he was a convenient target.  They wrote him off before he even played for god sake.

as I say, nothing really to do with the hof. JKB and hearts fans are weird (well a very small but annoyingly vocal section of hearts fans) 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

it’s really nothing to do with the hof mate.  It’s all about naisy out, budge out and savage out.

the babies don’t get their way so have a tantrum and throw mud at whatever they can think off

they think hearts are soft, he’s comes across as a nice lad and because he was injured early he was a convenient target.  They wrote him off before he even played for god sake.

as I say, nothing really to do with the hof. JKB and hearts fans are weird (well a very small but annoyingly vocal section of hearts fans) 

There were folk wanting him binned before he even completed 90 minutes of football in total! Absolute nonsense when you consider he’s a young lad playing in a new league on the other side of the world! He was good yesterday and I also thought he was good at Ibrox and in the home game against the vermin. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I made a point expanding on this on another thread.

If you think about it writing a player off so early and then going public with that view is almost childlike in its simplicity. 

Imagine a grown adult behaving in such a manner? Beggars belief!

By all means criticise a player for the performance over a contract (god knows we have had plenty deserving of this) but there are likely more examples of players who had rocky starts but came good.

Anyway those who do the “he’s shite” after a match or 2 deserve to be treated with contempt and ignored because they haven’t got enough brain cells to realise a player can improve.

Edited by Vlad Magic
Spelling

Howdy Doody Jambo

A young laddie swapping Australia for the physical Scottish fitbaw, culture, weather, away from family and friends can't be easy

Give him a chance to settle in 

He seems to be motoring now and also is now ahead of Devlin. I was a critic due to I would have rather have had someone who could play straight away but I think he is turning out to be a player and a good partner for Beni in the engine room.

What did impress me from the start is his aerial ability if he can start getting into the box I reckon goals will come. 

Folk who made up their mind on him so early were mad. He's a young lad from the other side of the world playing at a decent level for the first time, he was always going to need time.

The amount of folk writing him off, or declaring top drawer were agenda driven as he hadn't shown himself to be either.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Folk who made up their mind on him so early were mad. He's a young lad from the other side of the world playing at a decent level for the first time, he was always going to need time.

The amount of folk writing him off, or declaring top drawer were agenda driven as he hadn't shown himself to be either.

This. 

I think people need to be more open to being proved wrong. Having an entrenched opinion when you're clearly wrong just makes you look like a dick :D 

NGL - I thought we'd ****ed up again by bringing in another ineffective midfielder. But thankfully he's turned things around and is showing himself as a good box to box midfielder - good engine, can break up play and distribute the ball effectively. He fits in seemlessly with Devlin & Beni. I don't feel we're dropping in quality by bringing him in. 

I'm hoping it breeds a bit of competition for the CM roles and Devlin ups his game too. Could really get the best out of all 3. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

No but I thought he looked like a footballer on his first couple of appearances. Agreed he didn't do too much initially.

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

This. 

I think people need to be more open to being proved wrong. Having an entrenched opinion when you're clearly wrong just makes you look like a dick :D 

NGL - I thought we'd ****ed up again by bringing in another ineffective midfielder. But thankfully he's turned things around and is showing himself as a good box to box midfielder - good engine, can break up play and distribute the ball effectively. He fits in seemlessly with Devlin & Beni. I don't feel we're dropping in quality by bringing him in. 

I'm hoping it breeds a bit of competition for the CM roles and Devlin ups his game too. Could really get the best out of all 3. 

I likened him to Kio - wasn't so much a reflection on him though personally. We signed someone for decent money and seemingly a high priority for the club in a position we badly needed...then didn't play him. Invisible man stuff like Kio. Never bothered to communicate he was injured which made it all the more bizarre.

He was given a tough gig due to the above and also people on here making out he was the Messiah. Similar to Kuol, hyped up and as soon as they show to actually be pretty average footballers you'll get some spitting the dummy out and writing them off.

A "fan" on here gave him a 3 yesterday, when most were raving about him. He was written off DURING the Leeds game ffs. I like him, given time he could be a fantastic bit of business. 

I thought yesterday was his best game so far. He’s definitely improving the more he plays and is starting to look like he could nail down a regular place in the starting 11. 

Pasquale for King

Definitely getting better, that run yesterday was brilliant and deserved one of the strikers to make a better run for him to set up. 

All points are valid above about not writing him off etc but he has been by and large poor. That can be down to numerous factors like adjusting to a new type of game….culture and climate or could just mean he’s not that good. Time will tell.

What is encouraging is that he played well yesterday and had a good game at Ibrox. I think he will come good but I am not jumping on the bandwagon just because we beat a team that haven’t won in 9 games and are absolutely honking. 

Good game yesterday though and keep it up Hoff

44 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

All points are valid above about not writing him off etc but he has been by and large poor. That can be down to numerous factors like adjusting to a new type of game….culture and climate or could just mean he’s not that good. Time will tell.

What is encouraging is that he played well yesterday and had a good game at Ibrox. I think he will come good but I am not jumping on the bandwagon just because we beat a team that haven’t won in 9 games and are absolutely honking. 

You just like to talk players down eh, Beni and now Hoff. 🙄

45 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

He hasnt been by and large poor though 

Calem seems to be getting better with every performance his confidence is growing and I think there is more to come from him. His run yesterday was quality and he was always showing for the ball.

He is a million miles better than Kio. Definite upgrade for me.

He was good yesterday and I hope he continues to improve. 

He was poor in previously and received criticism, hardly rocket science. 

4 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

He was good yesterday and I hope he continues to improve. 

He was poor in previously and received criticism, hardly rocket science. 

He was being criticised as poor when he was playing well though . This is not some overnight improvement 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

He was being criticised as poor when he was playing well though . This is not some overnight improvement 

He wasn’t playing well, that was the problem. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlights wanting too much time and appeared slow and soft. He was either poor/anonymous or quite average. He’s had the odd decent game lately so it’s great he’s improving but let’s not pretend he was playing well before. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Nieuwenhof ( merged )