New Hearts Coach (maybe)

Hearts of Vladland

Hearts of Vladland

Marijuana a mean Mayanja says that Laszlo has asked him to join him.

Link

Mayanja keen on Hearts reunion with Laszlo

Published Date: 17 July 2008

By Darren Johnstone

UGANDA coach Jackson Mayanja insists he would jump at the chance to join new Hearts manager Csaba Laszlo at Tynecastle.

Former national team captain Mayanja worked with Laszlo on the training pitch with the Ugandan national team and the pair were behind the country's surge up the world rankings.

Romanian-born Laszlo is yet to appoint an assistant, but Mayanja, whose remit includes taking charge of his country's Under-20 and Under-23 teams, has spoken to him about the vacant position in Edinburgh.

He said: "I have talked to Laszlo about it, but I've not had any more information on it as yet. It would be a great move if I was to work with Hearts.

"It would be a good experience for me to go to Hearts and, as I say, we have talked about it.

"I would welcome that opportunity, but it's down to him and his bosses."

Mayanja is regarded as a footballing legend in his homeland having captained his country and been named Uganda's footballer of the year in 1997.

The 38-year-old, who plied his trade in Egypt and Tunisia during his playing career, added: "We worked together for a couple of years with Uganda and I really enjoyed it.

"I have had a wonderful time with Csaba, he is a wonderful coach and I believe he can transform Hearts.

"He really helped evolve our game in Uganda, for many years the team was doing nothing, but, under Laszlo, the team has shot to fame.

"It was sad for me when he left to go to Hearts, but they are a big team and I think it was the right decision to go there."

Meanwhile, former Hearts coach John McGlynn last night threw his backing behind Laszlo – and senses an upturn in fortunes at Tynecastle already. The Raith Rovers manager holds a deep affinity with the Gorgie outfit following a ten-year association with the club before his departure to take the Stark's Park job in November 2006.

McGlynn, who encountered Laszlo when Hearts played Ferencvaros in the Uefa Cup in 2004, said: "There is a renewed enthusiasm at Hearts with the new manager in now.

"From the early indications I've heard, he knows what he is talking about, is getting his message across and putting his authority on the place immediately. That is what you have to do and that will stand the club in good stead."

With all due respect to Uganda, but UGANDA?

FFS, we've been foisted Liths and other Eastern European dolts, surely we should be looking at recruiting from other countries rather than Uganda*.

*No racism or offence was meant to any Ugandan readers!

scott_jambo
Marijuana a mean Mayanja says that Laszlo has asked him to join him.

Link

Love John Mcglynn. Total legend.

scott_jambo

FFS, we've been foisted Liths and other Eastern European dolts, surely we should be looking at recruiting from other countries rather than Uganda*.

Kick out these guys, bring in the Ugandan's, hopefully theyl at least know the meaning of hard work.

This was one of the early rumours but I'm pretty sure it was dissed by Csaba himself - looks like the favourite will be a Hungarian guy that he worked with at Ferencevaros.

shaun.lawson
This was one of the early rumours but I'm pretty sure it was dissed by Csaba himself - looks like the favourite will be a Hungarian guy that he worked with at Ferencevaros.

To be honest, the only thing that's important to me is his assistant is someone he knows and trusts, chosen by him. I know people would like to see a Hearts presence as his number 2, but I just think that'd constitute meaningless tokenism, which wouldn't help one bit. We have a manager, and (it would certainly appear) an autonomous one too - and part of his autonomy is, for me, bringing in his own people who enable him to do the job exactly as he wishes.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Non-story, he won't get a work permit.

However, if he claimed asylum....:rolleyes:

Its crucial that Csaba gets his own man in

Its crucial that Cervenkov is marginalised as much as possible

He has spoken of knowing who he wants as his assistance I would expect him to join up with us in Germany.

Seymour M Hersh
To be honest, the only thing that's important to me is his assistant is someone he knows and trusts, chosen by him. I know people would like to see a Hearts presence as his number 2, but I just think that'd constitute meaningless tokenism, which wouldn't help one bit. We have a manager, and (it would certainly appear) an autonomous one too - and part of his autonomy is, for me, bringing in his own people who enable him to do the job exactly as he wishes.

I agree! Now to lie down for an hour or so.;)

I'm not getting into a racism debate either...

Only want to point out that to make a judgement about Anyone's suitability for just about Anything based on their country of origin is more than a bit daft.

There is an issue about needing to have some backroom staff with a background knowledge of Scottish football, and that's not racist, but if you offered me Scolari (who presumably also lacks that knowledge) I might consider him.

I've never heard of this person, all that I know about him I learned from reading this thread, so I am quite happy to say that I haven't got a clue about his suitability to be Hearts coach. But what I do know is that the main criteria should be his knowledge of the game and his ability to motivate and train footballers.

What countries should we recruit from then? Would you ever take a goalie from Finland or a midfielder from Ghana? Should Hibs ever have signed a diminutive midfielder from Trinidad and Tobago? Or Celtic sign a striker from Sweden, and Rangers a winger from Denmark? Etc....

Archived