• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• GinRummy

• Nerja Jambo

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

He is doing his badges 🤷‍♂️ 

He has to get a year of coaching in before the next stage, we know this.

He has done his year of coaching 

14 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

PAOK Thessaloniki - Record arrivals  Transfermarkt.png

Thanks. Quite a few frees along with some signings over £1m. It would be nice to aspire to get our turnover to their level so we can shop in that market. 

7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

He has done his year of coaching 

Yep. It was far too late for the current PL course - I understand it’s Januarys course he will be applying for.

Just now, davemclaren said:

Thanks. Quite a few frees along with some signings over £1m. It would be nice to aspire to get our turnover to their level so we can shop in that market. 

Free transfer signings requires a really good recruitment team and strategy.  One that watches players and tracks them.  They also need to identify the markets where they are likely to find really good free transfer candidates. Spot the difference. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Free transfer signings requires a really good recruitment team and strategy.  One that watches players and tracks them.  They also need to identify the markets where they are likely to find really good free transfer candidates. Spot the difference. 

And also to be willing and able to pay the level of wages required. Not all free transfers are equal. 

Just now, MattyK82 said:

Yep. It was far too late for the current PL course - I understand it’s Januarys course he will be applying for.

Don’t think he thought he was in a hurry for it until March this year. Had the Neilson implosion not happened then Naismith could easily have expected to do his pro licence in either 2024 or 2025 which would have been fine career progression wise. Neilson had a contract until summer 2025 which is probably the earliest Naismith thought he would get a chance at the top job. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

And also to be willing and able to pay the level of wages required. Not all free transfers are equal. 

I doubt that the wages for the free transfer guys are that huge. We could match them in all probability if you amortise a level of saved transfer fee over the life of the contract eg a £500k transfer fee saved could be an extra £3k pw over a three year contract. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How does their turnover compare with ours?

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Don’t think he thought he was in a hurry for it until March this year. Had the Neilson implosion not happened then Naismith could easily have expected to do his pro licence in either 2024 or 2025 which would have been fine career progression wise. Neilson had a contract until summer 2025 which is probably the earliest Naismith thought he would get a chance at the top job. 

Precisely.

39 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

So where's the cash going?You don't know,we are a club that provides added income streams that is unique within the game including the FoH and Benefactors.

Guys like yourself are the eternal everything is rosey type of fan,every club has them.

However,some other fans that actually go to the games week in week out like to question the garbage that is being served up.....and before you start your knee jerk Dundee comments it's 5 wins in nearly 20 games,if you fund that acceptable for HMFC then OK,but I and a large majority don't.

I presume it's all getting pished away on tampons and shite because I can't provide you with a spreadsheet?  You must struggle with things like tax and where all that money goes?  Do you have an extensive breakdown of the UK defence budget?

Not sure I am the everything is rosey type.  I certainly revel in wins and games like the Rosenburg game, rather than look for reasons to moan constantly.  Life is shite enough, and there are loads of better things to moan about than some pish that you or I have made up to moan about Budge.

I watch all the games (aside from 5 mins here and there) as I have HeartsTV, but you are right that I don't go as it'd require getting on a plane.  You and that "large majority" are like spoilt Old Firm fans except at least they have seen some success.  As I already pointed out in another thread, JJ lasted a whole season and won his 7th game in April at Tannadice.  And he was hardly shite.

If we'd won on Sunday and went top of the table, all your shitey stats about 5 (or 6) wins in nearly 20 games would be irrelevant.  A wee handpicked stat passed around all the loonies like the talking heads on Fox or GB "news".  At least your shitey stat is actual fact I suppose.

Maybe that's where all the long term injuries are coming from. All this knee jerking.

Knee jerk? **** off. This has been going on a lot longer than just Dundee.

The club has been run like a self improvement facility.

Where nobody improves!

Leveins Battalion
1 minute ago, WageThief said:

I presume it's all getting pished away on tampons and shite because I can't provide you with a spreadsheet?  You must struggle with things like tax and where all that money goes?  Do you have an extensive breakdown of the UK defence budget?

Not sure I am the everything is rosey type.  I certainly revel in wins and games like the Rosenburg game, rather than look for reasons to moan constantly.  Life is shite enough, and there are loads of better things to moan about than some pish that you or I have made up to moan about Budge.

I watch all the games (aside from 5 mins here and there) as I have HeartsTV, but you are right that I don't go as it'd require getting on a plane.  You and that "large majority" are like spoilt Old Firm fans except at least they have seen some success.  As I already pointed out in another thread, JJ lasted a whole season and won his 7th game in April at Tannadice.  And he was hardly shite.

If we'd won on Sunday and went top of the table, all your shitey stats about 5 (or 6) wins in nearly 20 games would be irrelevant.  A wee handpicked stat passed around all the loonies like the talking heads on Fox or GB "news".  At least your shitey stat is actual fact I suppose.

A hand picked stat?🤣🤣🤣

It's a stat from our last 20 games mate,geez peace.

If if if,if we hadn't sacked Burley we might of won the league,we did though so it's irrelevant. If Craig Levein didn't shat the bed in 86 we might of won the league,if Sandy Clark gets the penalty it's a different game,if Haring lasts the 90 against Celtic we probably win the Scottish Cup,if Simms scores that sitter v Rangers the game plan works and we might of won the Cup.If the Hibs chairman wasn't such a knob wee Robbo signs for them and the history of our club changes.Your dealing in hypothetical nonsense to mask the clubs shortcomings like some Uber Hearts Fanatic.

34 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

How does their turnover compare with ours?

Someone posted it last week, about 60% higher iirc. 

36 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I doubt that the wages for the free transfer guys are that huge. We could match them in all probability if you amortise a level of saved transfer fee over the life of the contract eg a £500k transfer fee saved could be an extra £3k pw over a three year contract. 

That's still us paying extra for the player and would likely blow our turnover to player wages ratio. 

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

A hand picked stat?🤣🤣🤣

If if if,if we hadn't sacked Burley we might of won the league,we did though so it's irrelevant. If Craig Levein didn't shat the bed in 86 we might of won the league,if Sandy Clark gets the penalty it's a different game,if Haring lasts the 90 against Celtic we probably win the Scottish Cup,if Simms scores that sitter v Rangers the game plan works and we might of won the Cup.If the Hibs chairman wasn't such a knob wee Robbo signs for them and the history of our club changes.Your dealing in hypothetical nonsense to mask the clubs shortcomings like some Uber Hearts Fanatic.

I've seen stats before.  It's from our last 19 games actually.  It doesn't even make sense as it includes the run that got Neilson sacked. 🤣  I've not looked but I bet the stat would look better if it was 20 games, or god forbid 30 games.  The reason I know that is that all you kneejerkers would use the worst stat possible.  Looking forward to our next victory so I can happy clap and you can all go back to moaning in the shed about serial killers.

Aye, I am the one dealing in hypothetical nonsense.  If if if we'd acted like silly wee lassies and couldn't deal with runs of results, we'd never have got close to winning the league in 86 as Doddie would've been sacked long before then.   And it's have.

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Clark 1.

Gordon 2.

Mcgovern 3.

Rowles 4.

Kent 5.

Sibbick 6.

Halkett 7.

Offiah 8.

Kingsley 9.

Cochrane 10.

Atkinson 11.

Devlin 12. 

Haring 13.

Nieuwenhof 14.

Baningime 15.

Lowry 16.

Mckay 17.

Oda 18.

Shankland 19.

Tagawa 20.

Boyce 21.

Vargas 22.

Squad to go with ^

22 players.

Out 

Stone loan.

Halliday sell.

Grant sell.

Denholm loan.

Forrest sell.

Tait loan/ b team.

Smith loan

Pollock loan/b team.

8 out.

Players to take on trial 

Fosu. Barry Mckay replacement.

Mcgeehan, box to box midfielder that scores goals.

J.Martin,Forrest replacement.

Loans/ buy 

Mowatt left footer that gives us balance and experience,year left on contract.

Isn't getting much game time.

Moore the striker we need,a presence.

Talks of going on loan to Cardiff.

Pre contract players to look at.

With Beni and Devlin only 1 year left.

2 hours ago, Nerja Jambo said:

Over the last number of years, with the odd exception, we are one of the few clubs whose strikers mark the defender as such they give the midfield no options. Nothing has changed in years although countless players have. As such you might think they are not the problem but the coaches. 

The coaching personnel has obviously changed as well as the players over the years.

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That's still us paying extra for the player and would likely blow our turnover to player wages ratio. 

Need to speculate to accumulate 

What the killer is  is how the likes of the sheep keep pulling players out the hat that they sell for big bucks.the latest being the centre .4 mill.thats what's keeping them alive.

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

See where it’s got Brighton 😃

I think more clubs fail than succeed when splashing the cash but if someone else is to underwrite it...

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think more clubs fail than succeed when splashing the cash but if someone else is to underwrite it...

🤔

47 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

A hand picked stat?🤣🤣🤣

It's hand picked when the manager has been in charge for 14 and about 7 of the players have just got here

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

If Naismith thought it was unlikely that Neilson would leave before summer 2025, then I'd really question his judgement. Managerial turnovers at Hearts and in Scottish football are high enough that it would be madness to base your career planning around an assumption that the Hearts manager is highly likely to remain in place for the next two to three years.

19 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

It's hand picked when the manager has been in charge for 14 and about 7 of the players have just got here

I think this ‘stat’ was something I posted but the original point behind it has been, unsurprisingly, bast***ised! It’s now being used and abused out of context! The reason the last 19 league games was a point of reference was because for me, post Aberdeen 5-0, things went to shit. Since that night in January we’ve played 19 league matches (half a league season by coincidence) under both Neilson then Naismith and frankly results have been unacceptable under both of them. Trying to defend a factual stat of 5 wins (+ 5 draws) out of those 19 games and therefore a total of 20pts from 57pts is a task some have attempted but also routinely failed! There is no defence. It’s a totally unacceptable run of results spanning almost this entire calendar year but it seems some will forever continue to shrug off utterly abysmal performances like Sunday and find the latest excuse!

Jam (Tarts) tomorrow indeed. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, TrueJambo said:

Teary eyes for us all at the moment

Really? We're not doing that badly, we need to ensure Sunday doesn't occur again, also finishing teams at home like killie; I've already stated that game was bullsh!t, but the final whistle went weeks ago

We're not up to speed yet and we know why, so we'll just have to get on with it

FerryJambo81
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Someone posted it last week, about 60% higher iirc. 

Some guy on twitter has it it pretty much exactly double over last x years, can't remember the number of years. Was £30 million plays £60. He also cited fact in Greece they make their own TV deals on club basis.

Not fact checked, no time for that 😂

1 minute ago, FerryJambo81 said:

Some guy on twitter has it it pretty much exactly double over last x years, can't remember the number of years. Was £30 million plays £60. He also cited fact in Greece they make their own TV deals on club basis.

Not fact checked, no time for that 😂

Fair enough. 

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, goader said:

Absolute gringe worthy posts on this threads.  A licence does not make you a better manager.   Alex Ferguson managed without any licences and Gareth Southgate started his manager career without the recognised 'qualifications'.  Give the management team and the new players time to gel.  Come back and critise in the New year if things do not work out.   Read the definition of support😡

All true, hear hear

Well said, mate

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Maybe but whether the money is spent on a transfer fee or wages is immaterial to me as long as someone is top of the finances.  Signing on fees used to be a big deal and could be again. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe but whether the money is spent on a transfer fee or wages is immaterial to me as long as someone is top of the finances.  Signing on fees used to be a big deal and could be again. 

You get what you pay for,pay peanuts get monkeys.

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

I've seen stats before.  It's from our last 19 games actually.  It doesn't even make sense as it includes the run that got Neilson sacked. 🤣  I've not looked but I bet the stat would look better if it was 20 games, or god forbid 30 games.  The reason I know that is that all you kneejerkers would use the worst stat possible.  Looking forward to our next victory so I can happy clap and you can all go back to moaning in the shed about serial killers.

Aye, I am the one dealing in hypothetical nonsense.  If if if we'd acted like silly wee lassies and couldn't deal with runs of results, we'd never have got close to winning the league in 86 as Doddie would've been sacked long before then.   And it's have.

Last 14 results/stats don’t look clever either.  That’s relevant, not clutched out of the air or made up to make a point.  W5 L5 D4   I’m not in the sack them camp yet but if things don’t get better, particularly team selection and performances, I soon will be. 

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, Finlay James said:

I think he needs time.  My gut is that the biggest obstacle he’s trying to overcome is mentality in the club and that will take time.

let’s not forget, Naismith is very much part of the cultural change that Clarke is overseeing with Scotland so we have to believe that he has the skills to do this.

My other thought is that we are screaming out for a dominating central midfielder and we’ve not addressed that this summer (yet).

Good points; the mentality thing is getting obscured with the badges and Sunday's result

Think we need a CB too, but CM is essential, just like CB last season

There's going to be some uproar if we don't get one; it was arrogant not getting a CB and founded on overconfidence due to hibs and the sheep being rubbish season before last

That hasn't happened this time and we must get another quality player in MF

40 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If Naismith thought it was unlikely that Neilson would leave before summer 2025, then I'd really question his judgement. Managerial turnovers at Hearts and in Scottish football are high enough that it would be madness to base your career planning around an assumption that the Hearts manager is highly likely to remain in place for the next two to three years.

He had just signed a new year three deal after getting us into group stages in Europe. Not many thought he wouldn’t see out most if not all of that contract. Had he won 2/3 extra games in the early part of last season he would almost certainly still be in post and back in group stages again.  Fine margins. 

42 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

He was also reportedly in the running for the St Mirren job and held talks with them in Feb 2022 so I guess the question is how that would have worked without a pro licence and why he hadn't started a course by now?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/naismith-reveals-management-plan-after-saints-talks-3582570

25 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

I think this ‘stat’ was something I posted but the original point behind it has been, unsurprisingly, bast***ised! It’s now being used and abused out of context! The reason the last 19 league games was a point of reference was because for me, post Aberdeen 5-0, things went to shit. Since that night in January we’ve played 19 league matches (half a league season by coincidence) under both Neilson then Naismith and frankly results have been unacceptable under both of them. Trying to defend a factual stat of 5 wins (+ 5 draws) out of those 19 games and therefore a total of 20pts from 57pts is a task some have attempted but also routinely failed! There is no defence. It’s a totally unacceptable run of results spanning almost this entire calendar year but it seems some will forever continue to shrug off utterly abysmal performances like Sunday and find the latest excuse!

Jam (Tarts) tomorrow indeed. 

I hear you re the stat, but I'm not sure what point you are making, and how it applies to Naismith..  We did well enough in the games under Naismith last season for him to be given the job, and it's not the greatest start in the league (although I'd argue the worst result is Killie at home) but are we supposed to be sacking a manager on the back of that? 

Under Naismith it's played 10, lost 3, won 3, drawn 4. So 13 points from a possible 30 if we played 60% of our games against the top 6.  In the 9 games previous Neilson must've got 2 wins and 2 draws.  So 8 points from a possible 27, with one point away from home.  Naismith has picked up points in all but 2 away league games, his first at ER, and the last one.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Costanza said:

He was also reportedly in the running for the St Mirren job and held talks with them in Feb 2022 so I guess the question is how that would have worked without a pro licence and why he hadn't started a course by now?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/naismith-reveals-management-plan-after-saints-talks-3582570

It would work as him having to enrol on the course if he got the job, SFA don’t fine clubs as Gerrard showed a few years ago when he got the Rangers job. 

7 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Dunno how it would have worked as I don’t think enough time had passed to allow him to do the course. 

3 minutes ago, WageThief said:

I hear you re the stat, but I'm not sure what point you are making, and how it applies to Naismith..  We did well enough in the games under Naismith last season for him to be given the job, and it's not the greatest start in the league (although I'd argue the worst result is Killie at home) but are we supposed to be sacking a manager on the back of that? 

Under Naismith it's played 10, lost 3, won 3, drawn 4. So 13 points from a possible 30 if we played 60% of our games against the top 6.  In the 9 games previous Neilson must've got 2 wins and 2 draws.  So 8 points from a possible 27, with one point away from home.  Naismith has picked up points in all but 2 away league games, his first at ER, and the last one.

Stat this,Stat that.if we had nicked an equaliser again st dundee off rowles bum,or an of v killie would that actually make it any better?It's the kind of football that we are churning out.

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

A hand picked stat?🤣🤣🤣

Shite chat with the Levein comment.

Been done to death.

13 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Nowhere have I said sack him (them!), personally I don’t believe that would be sensible or reasonable today. I’m merely pointing out that for many months now under both setups our results have been poor. I do however believe that September is a massive month for this managerial setup. 

Motherwell (H) 

Aberdeen (H)

St Mirren (A)

Kilmarnock (A) Cup

Ross County (H)

I think it’s fair to say 4pts from 9pts given the fixtures has been a disappointing and certainly underwhelming first month. If things go tits up over the next month and we take a similarly poor % then they are bang in trouble given October’s fixtures of Hibs, Celtic and Rangers. It’s a pivotal period coming up if they want to buy themselves time, retain some good will and have the opportunity to see the next transfer window. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

See, in our specific case right now, I don’t really agree with your post.

You’re right that fortunes ebb and flow and a lot of us aren’t very good at sucking that up. At the end of the day, Hearts have a limited budget and can only do so much. I’m not sure the board has the right ambition or talent but even so, it’s not like a different board would win is the league tomorrow. I get what we are.

But with regards to the Naismith/McAvoy set-up, it’s weird and it’s been hard to justify as a concept from the outset. It’s a stab in the dark, it’s incredibly unproven and on that basis alone, people are entitled to question whether it should have been allowed to happen in the first place.

I see people say ‘let’s see what happens’ but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s an odd experiment.

It’s like someone saying ‘I’m going to build a road through the middle of your house but don’t worry, it’s actually a good plan and your house will be better for it.’

You’d go, nah mate, and **** them off. Simple common sense.

So the bottom line - we have a decent squad. Not perfect but decent. But we should have made an actual appointment of an actual coach, not this daft arrangement.

Na, it's not like that at all; it's a temporary measure and that's alway's been the plan

What would your reaction be if Naismith was re-appointed interim manager until he starts the course in January, in the next week or two?

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Naismith's had an extended interview that's lasted years, that's the difference.

The people within the club will have seen him day to day and they must have been hell of an impressed with him and his skillset to appoint him.

I also get the feeling we had to use him or lose him, he IS a very impressive figure, always has been, and it felt like a Killie or st Mirren would be sniffing about at some point soon.

Absolutely correct and the midden were sniffing around

I'd like to see the venn diagram of people moaning that we let him go, if we did, with the people who are moaning about the situation now

It's one or the other, mutually exclusive, so they can take their pick now, right now; it has to be now

Naismith should eventually be leaving for a huge club, probably starting with a top end english championship or quite possibly a lower EPL club

He won't be going sideways in Scotland because we pulled out all the stops to keep him here

What were we supposed to do? Ask him to return to the B team? I think he already gave the board his answer to that, a firm NO

9 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Naismith should eventually be leaving for a huge club, probably starting with a top end english championship or quite possibly a lower EPL club

Given the way football is nowadays and the options available to English clubs he’ll have had to have had more success than any Hearts manager in our history for that to happen so here’s hoping you are correct. Realistically it’s an almighty leap bordering on ludicrous. 

13 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Absolutely correct and the midden were sniffing around

I'd like to see the venn diagram of people moaning that we let him go, if we did, with the people who are moaning about the situation now

It's one or the other, mutually exclusive, so they can take their pick now, right now; it has to be now

He won't be going sideways in Scotland because we pulled out all the stops to keep him here

What were we supposed to do? Ask him to return to the B team? I think he already gave the board his answer to that, a firm NO

All the evidence of newer managers getting big jobs on England these days would suggest otherwise, most have progressed as coaches.

It's too early to really judge him but the biggest surprise is he chose to surround himself with a coach from a failed regime and a guy who has in all honesty done nothing in football but is Savage's mate. He should have been savvy enough to get better people than that and if his arm was twisted by the board he should have walked. He has not set himself up for success with those clowns.

Naismith talks really well but the problem is at the moment that is all it is.

Ricardo Quaresma
7 hours ago, Hashimoto said:

Point I was making was that he should have been enrolled the moment his playing career ended. Especially as he see's himself having a extended career in football management.
Sloppy by Naismith. Sloppy and lazy by the Hearts board. 

Have you been living in a cave?

He started his badges EIGHT years ago, at Everton

B Licence > A Licence > Pro Licence

While playing for Everton and Norwich and Hearts, with loads of International matches for Scotland, practically the whole time

You're scratching at the edges and the situation is what it is and it was the only way

We just need to get him enrolled and I would like to know why this wasn't done earlier exactly, but it wasn't, that's a fact

We'll be getting on with it

38 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It would work as him having to enrol on the course if he got the job, SFA don’t fine clubs as Gerrard showed a few years ago when he got the Rangers job. 

Getting on the course, assuming you have your A licence, is the big challenge.  Limited places and lots of aspiring managers. That’s Naismith’s current challenge. 

Ricardo Quaresma
6 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Until we stop signing average players it doesn't matter who the manager is.

If this goes South Naisy will be the fall guy and Joe Savage will be safe as houses.

Hibs are the exact same,the boy Kensell makes mistake after mistake yet the managers take the hit.

Us and Hibs are trying to be too clever,Killie have improved because they've signed players the manager knew.

Aberdeen have just chucked £500k at another striker.Hibs have spent £700 k on Vente.Its no guarantee we will be 3rd and the FoH money is basically gone trying to keep up.

Some sense from you

I don't think savage is that safe; if we don't complete the rebuild (AGAIN) then he's going to get a rough ride on here and so is anyone else with the purse strings

I'm not going to defend inaction with regards to Quality available in terms of playing staff