Off The Ball

Cameronstheman

Cameronstheman

Quite like it, can be really enjoyable and funny for me, so tune in a lot, only to jump ship

As  that Cosgrove kills it for me, an absolute unfunny slaver, who sounds as if he's slumming it, especially the way he talks 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts_fan

• martoon

• Cameronstheman

• Gundermann

I'm the same. Depending on the guest it can be quite a funny show but Cosgrove definitely ruins it with his atrocious patter. Seems to have a wee chip on his shoulder too

I stopped listening to it years ago. I don’t find them funny or interesting. No idea how it’s lasted as long as it has tbh. But must get plenty listeners 

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, jambostuart said:

I'm the same. Depending on the guest it can be quite a funny show but Cosgrove definitely ruins it with his atrocious patter. Seems to have a wee chip on his shoulder too

He's certainly got it in for us, probably because of his Hibs casuals connections.

Tam Cowan has been a good friend of Hearts since the dark days of administration.

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I stopped listening to it years ago. I don’t find them funny or interesting. No idea how it’s lasted as long as it has tbh. But must get plenty listeners 

90s and early 2000s was good 

LarrysRightFoot

Cosgrove is awful, really really bad. He’s literally forgotten all he ever knew about football (if ever did know anything) - other than the odd thing about cult heroes, he should focus on his northern soul vinyls. 

Required listening back in the 90's but long since gave it up. 

I've always liked Tam and Cosgrove was fine in the early days but it all started to become a bit repetitive and dull.

I did always enjoy the acronyms that folk sent in:

HIBS: Hide It's Brian Souttar

And

BOBBY CHARLTON: Baldy Old Baw Bag...I forget the rest.

Were particular favourites.

7 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

He's certainly got it in for us, probably because of his Hibs casuals connections.

Tam Cowan has been a good friend of Hearts since the dark days of administration.

Cowan did a speaking event for us did he not? Probably has some sympathy having gone through it with Motherwell. He's definitely the funnier of the two as well. Cosgrove just pulls the show down. 

Edited by jambostuart

All roads lead to Gorgie

If Tam Cowan is on I will listen for a while. When he's away it's the off switch.

SectionDJambo

I think Tam has done more than one for us. I was at one of them at Tynecastle a few years ago.

Edited by SectionDJambo

Cosgrove became very bitter about Gretna, iirc, and their rise thanks to Brooks Mileson (not 100% sure I've got the name right. They won the Championship at St. Johnstone's expense in '07 and he wasn't happy.

I got the feeling he transfered some of that ill will to Hearts and Romanov.

Stendelnator

It’s aimed at a very specific demographic, a demographic which finds their chat funny and engaging. I don’t, but as long as others do then it’s harmless. 

Fort Vallance

Cosgrove is patronising. Always trying to prove he's more intellectual than the underclass listening to "his" show. His book on Northern Soul is decent but its still "I'm cleverer than you".

TC is good but it's not worth putting up with Cosgrove for a few of Tams quips.

Ford Prentice

Not sure what demographic it's aimed at. I'm in my 60s but they sound like two boring old farts to me. Only hear the odd few minutes these days and it's always pretty quickly switched off.

I don't find SC to have any of the negative traits I've read above. He's a clever guy and a very good co-host.

The very idea of the show is that it's an "odd couple" of Scottish football – the two guys are meant to be opposites in many ways, and it's that which has made the show such a success over the years. It's disappointing to hear so many people put off by Cosgrove's intellect, which sounds like is what the problem is for some.

I tune in less in recent months because Susie McCabe seemed to be on every other week and I can't stand her. Each to their own I guess.

Edited by Hearts_fan

It was funny back in the day when impressionist did send ups of Scottish football characters, nowadays I find Cosgrove spew inducing, especially after his comments about James Anderson.

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Going to be discussing our managerial set up on sportdound today

Oh goody . Can’t wait for that nice balanced discussion 

I listen to Off the Ball most weekends and really enjoy it. Some really good guests, random non-OF focused chat (the best thing about the show) and quite funny/entertaining. I can understand some of the criticism of SC but I like him and as has been said above, he is a good foil for the excellent TC. I think SC plays up some.of his negative traits as a bit of a wind up and isn't actually as bad as other suggest.

1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I like Cosgrove. He's from a Perth scheme so I don't get the 'slumming it' criticism. Heard he was involved with SJ casuals back in the day - can't have been many of them? - but Hibs?!

He and Tam have it in for the arsecheeks and Hibs ay get a good ribbing. A fine programme.

40 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

I don't find SC to have any of the negative traits I've read above. He's a clever guy and a very good co-host.

The very idea of the show is that it's an "odd couple" of Scottish football – the two guys are meant to be opposites in many ways, and it's that which has made the show such a success over the years. It's disappointing to hear so many people put off by Cosgrove's intellect, which sounds like is what the problem is for some.

I tune in less in recent months because Susie McCabe seemed to be on every other week and I can't stand her. Each to their own I guess.

There's nothing wrong with being intellectual.

Being a condescending twat on the other hand ....

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Don't mind Cosgrove tbh.

I know. Some folk cannae hack a working class guy who's learned a wide vocabulary. Him and Tam are great together. Tam's a guid guy too - helped FoH in the early days IIRC.

Malinga the Swinga

Pretend to be anti establishment yet couldn't be more establishment if they tried. Frightened to speak out about sectarianism, frightened to offend old firm, frightened of offending SFA and Doncaster and desperate to crawl into bed with government, their relationship with Jason Leitch was cringeworthy in extreme.

The two of them would be more at home in any Glaswegian pub, boring the backside of anyone stupid enough to buy them a pint.

6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Pretend to be anti establishment yet couldn't be more establishment if they tried. Frightened to speak out about sectarianism, frightened to offend old firm, frightened of offending SFA and Doncaster and desperate to crawl into bed with government, their relationship with Jason Leitch was cringeworthy in extreme.

The two of them would be more at home in any Glaswegian pub, boring the backside of anyone stupid enough to buy them a pint.

Have you ever actually listened to it?

I still listen quite a bit but I do find Cosgrove has become a bit of a bore in recent years whereas Tam Cowan can still be quite funny. When it's just Cosgrove and Ray Bradshaw on I switch it off. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I've always liked Tam and Cosgrove was fine in the early days but it all started to become a bit repetitive and dull.

And

It's a bit like Only an Excuse where it was funny a few years back but then they run out of material and it becomes stale.

ToadKiller Dog

Cosgrove has got a bit bitter about certain things including us over the years ,where he has to move on ,Tam Cowan is still same old Tam.

The shows ok though it's now more like your favorite old jumper with the holes ,that you know needs chucked out but you can't do it .

And you know that any replacement will likely be dire 

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

48 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It's a bit like Only an Excuse where it was funny a few years back but then they run out of material and it becomes stale.

OaE must be the longest deteriorating programme in the history of world telly. 

1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

There's nothing wrong with being intellectual.

Being a condescending twat on the other hand ....

Except he isn't - the back and forth with Cowan is what they have been doing for nearly 30yrs - its performative.

3 hours ago, martoon said:

And

I love it and still listen to both shows (usually on catch up). 

Baldy

Old

Baw

Bag

Your

Cheque 

Helped

A

Russian 

Linesman 

To 

Obtain 

Nookie

Something like that anyway! 

1 hour ago, Gundermann said:

I know. Some folk cannae hack a working class guy who's learned a wide vocabulary. Him and Tam are great together. Tam's a guid guy too - helped FoH in the early days IIRC.

He's picked up a fair few words and likes to use them - unfortunate he clearly doesn't know the meaning of many of them.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

There's no chance you listen to it if that's what you think.

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

I love it and still listen to both shows (usually on catch up). 

Baldy

Old

Baw

Bag

Your

Cheque 

Helped

A

Russian 

Linesman 

To 

Obtain 

Nookie

Something like that anyway! 

👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Tam is cool but predictable. Cosgrove is not cool and predictable. 

Had its day. Bring back Hemphill 

3 hours ago, jambostuart said:

The chip on his shoulder would've been big  enough to sink the Titanic.

59 minutes ago, saxondale said:

There's no chance you listen to it if that's what you think.

Minger doesn't like them because they are both Yessers.

19 minutes ago, Angel eyes said:

When they start speaking over each other impossible to pick up what they are saying they do it to the guests as well.

All the time, with Cosgrove typically butting in and giving opinion as fact ... and he's more often than not utterly wrong with his supposed facts.

Loves the sound of his own voice, that 'un.

Asking today what changes in our game, no one said a complete change at the top.

Edited by Turkishcap