“I don’t know enough about that situation…”

Mr Sifter

I’m amazed at the range of topics that you find in The Shed, but more and more these days I find subjects being covered that I know nothing about. But less present is folk admitting they know nothing about it. 

The gender/TRANS carry on. I’ve got feelings based on my own limited knowledge of the subject, but certainly not enough knowledge of the subject to start arguing about it on here…

The Russia/Ukraine conflict? I know not what led to it, what it’s all about, and if/how it will end. Its not somethin I’ve focussed on…

There are a million and one things in life that I simply dunno enough about to form an educated opinion. So as a result, I keep my trap shut, and freely admit I’m not clued up enough. Reading the Shed though, it seems I’m in a tiny tiny minority. 

I could go on, but I won’t. I suppose the point I’m making is, how come so many on here seem to be so entrenched in their views on so so many topics? How can that possibly be? Are you guys actually experts on everything?

Does anyone want to join me in admitting the subjects/topics/current events they know Jack shit about? C’mon, just admit it. It’s actually quite liberating 🤪

I CAN however, categorically confirm that Hibs are shite. 

3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Last sentence apart, it's  clear that you don't know what you're talking about!

:lol:

That’s the one thing I DO know mate 🤪

3 minutes ago, Pap said:

I know absolutely nothing until i post on JKB.

Ken right? From conflicts to genders to submarines to transfer policies, this place is awash with experts that are so clued up. It never ceases to amaze me!!

It’s quite simple really. 
If you don’t know about the subject just twist it so the thread becomes about you. It appears pretty simple for some to achieve. 

Unknown user

I like to look things up unless I'm disinterested. I haven't followed the Ukraine war but I have looked up the wagner group, so I don't have much to offer really except with specific things.

I know a little about a lot, and a lot about little. But I'm an opinionated ***** basically.

Edited by Smithee

Unknown user

By the way, try saying "I don't know, I don't care" when you don't have an opinion on something - asking for trouble apparently!

JudyJudyJudy
19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It’s quite simple really. 
If you don’t know about the subject just twist it so the thread becomes about you. It appears pretty simple for some to achieve. 

image-23-10-21-06-58-6.gif

41 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

I’m in a tiny tiny minority. 

Not in my book!

The Shed is a superb resource, IMO, for getting questions answered. I must be one of the top posters on the Pro Cycling thread, for instance, simply because the guys on it who do know stuff are unfailingly patient with my endless (probably daft, but seem to make sense to me at the time) questions.

Same goes for any number of other threads - I seem to be not too useless at figuring out who's talking oot their erse and who seems to have a bit of know-how.

JudyJudyJudy

Actually quite  a good thread.  I make limited  comments on things that don't really interest me such as Ukraine and The Tories thread , but i like to read it to keep up to date with the experts opinions about it. I cant understand anything about economics so I tend to stay out of the " inflation" thread.  As you said if you have an interest in something you will comment more .  You can also google information about topics discussed if you dont know much  about it. Saves you being ripped the threads by the experts if you make a minute error of some sort. 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

JudyJudyJudy

The film and tv threads are probably the best on the shed  as there seems to be less acrimony on them.  

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Boof said:

Same goes for any number of other threads - I seem to be not too useless at figuring out who's talking oot their erse and who seems to have a bit of know-how.

What proportion do you reckon are in each category ?  The 80-20 rule of thumb ?:whistling:

😃

Tommy Brown

An annoyance for me  particularly on FB. A question is asked (on a golf rule for example) and people answer completely wrong. 

It highlights how many golfers don't even read the rules.

If you don't know, don't reply.

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

What proportion do you reckon are in each category ?  The 80-20 rule of thumb ?:whistling:

😃

Perhaps you're being a bit generous... :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

😃

5 minutes ago, Boof said:

i agree even 99-1 rule is generous

Lone Striker
12 minutes ago, Boof said:

6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i agree even 99-1 rule is generous

😀

Right, I'm off to join the 99%  on the Russia-Ukraine thread now. 😎

I generally stay well out of topics that I'm clueless about. Only end up making an arse of yourself. I hate when people butt into my conversations, of which they are clueless.

I'm on the Russia/Ukraine thread just now and like OP, I'm not overly clue up on politics or even the conflict itself, but I can't help myself as I'm fascinated and gripped by the current situation.

2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

I’m amazed at the range of topics that you find in The Shed, but more and more these days I find subjects being covered that I know nothing about. But less present is folk admitting they know nothing about it. 

The gender/TRANS carry on. I’ve got feelings based on my own limited knowledge of the subject, but certainly not enough knowledge of the subject to start arguing about it on here…

The Russia/Ukraine conflict? I know not what led to it, what it’s all about, and if/how it will end. Its not somethin I’ve focussed on…

There are a million and one things in life that I simply dunno enough about to form an educated opinion. So as a result, I keep my trap shut, and freely admit I’m not clued up enough. Reading the Shed though, it seems I’m in a tiny tiny minority. 

I could go on, but I won’t. I suppose the point I’m making is, how come so many on here seem to be so entrenched in their views on so so many topics? How can that possibly be? Are you guys actually experts on everything?

Does anyone want to join me in admitting the subjects/topics/current events they know Jack shit about? C’mon, just admit it. It’s actually quite liberating 🤪

Blame google. Folk on here read a sentence about the meaning of, or quick read an. Subject and think they are on authority on said subject, dismissing the views of actual experts. (Covid, Economy, The nationhood of Scotland, Slavery, Empire, Gender, Leaving the EU, USA politics , Women's rights and the list goes on) . Years of research, in-depth reading, essay writing, experience and everything that goes with it, is somehow overridden by Google and JKB membership. 

Yes give an opinion based on some sort of knowledge, but don't make it out as fact.  ' 'I'm not a proper gynaecologist, but I'll have fecking good look' as they say.

I have had ma baws booted on here a few times.

I don't mind .If you can argue about a topic and come away with a more balanced view then it's good.

The shed despite it being nippy can be a great read.

The more I think I know the more I know I've not really a clue.

11 minutes ago, Ked said:

I have had ma baws booted on here a few times.

I don't mind .If you can argue about a topic and come away with a more balanced view then it's good.

The shed despite it being nippy can be a great read.

The more I think I know the more I know I've not really a clue.

I figuratively love getting my baws booted and being told that I've posted something factually incorrect. I'm always happy to learn.

My opinions on the other hand are always 100% correct. ;)

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I figuratively love getting my baws booted and being told that I've posted something factually incorrect. I'm always happy to learn.

hold on i'm on my way

Kick Balls GIF - Kick Balls GIFs

the posh bit
43 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Blame google. Folk on here read a sentence about the meaning of, or quick read an. Subject and think they are on authority on said subject, dismissing the views of actual experts. (Covid, Economy, The nationhood of Scotland, Slavery, Empire, Gender, Leaving the EU, USA politics , Women's rights and the list goes on) . Years of research, in-depth reading, essay writing, experience and everything that goes with it, is somehow overridden by Google and JKB membership. 

Yes give an opinion based on some sort of knowledge, but don't make it out as fact.  ' 'I'm not a proper gynaecologist, but I'll have fecking good look' as they say.

Beautiful 😎

46 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Blame google. Folk on here read a sentence about the meaning of, or a quick read about anything isubject and think they are an authority on said subject, dismissing the views of actual experts. (Covid, Economy, The nationhood of Scotland, Slavery, Empire, Gender, Leaving the EU, USA politics , Women's rights and the list goes on) . Years of research, in-depth reading, essay writing, experience and everything that goes with it, is somehow overridden by Google and JKB membership. 

Yes, give an opinion based on some sort of knowledge, but don't make it out as fact.  ' 'I'm not a proper gynaecologist, but I'll have fecking good look' as they say.

Apologies, I made a few mistakes as my phone screen is fecked. Difficulty typing. 

6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Apologies, I made a few mistakes as my phone screen is fecked. Difficulty typing. 

No worries, ri. Probably one of your most coherent posts to date. ;)

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

No worries, ri. Probably one of your most coherent posts to date. ;)

:olly: 50 on Monday :cheers:

Edited by ri Alban

Just now, ri Alban said:

:olly: 50 on Monday: cheers

Congratulations in advance, ri! :cheers:

31 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Congratulations in advance, ri! :cheers:

👍

Red, I meant ask, did your friends get out of the Ukraine ok, bud? 

I'm sure it was your good self that had pals caught up in this shit storm

Edited by ri Alban

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

👍

Red, I meant ask, did your friends get out of the Ukraine ok, bud? 

I'm sure it was your good self that had pals caught up in this shit storm

Mostly. One still there, one in Hungary, the other in a Western European country. All safe and sound though at last reports. You have a good memory!

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Boof said:

Not in my book!

The Shed is a superb resource, IMO, for getting questions answered. I must be one of the top posters on the Pro Cycling thread, for instance, simply because the guys on it who do know stuff are unfailingly patient with my endless (probably daft, but seem to make sense to me at the time) questions.

Same goes for any number of other threads - I seem to be not too useless at figuring out whos talking oot their earse and who seems to have a bit of know-how.

I’ll get my coat now 😆

26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Mostly. One still there, one in Hungary, the other in a Western European country. All safe and sound though at last reports. You have a good memory!

Good to hear, bud. Hopefully it'll all be over soon. 

Sorry can't stop cynicism, but the west can go in and rebuild Ukraine, just like Iraq. :wonga:

John Findlay
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Good to hear, bud. Hopefully it'll all be over soon. 

Sorry can't stop cynicism, but the west can go in and rebuild Ukraine, just like Iraq. :wonga:

Well there will be a crying need for roofers.

14 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Well there will be a crying need for roofers.

Not the folk with my qualifications. Labourers will be doing it. 

5 hours ago, redjambo said:

I've noticed that.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Hahaha bang on man. 
I enjoy this forum a lot whether it’s for reading people’s opinions or being surprised by their knowledge. I’ve had loads of help on loads of things too through PM’s etc.

Ive met some good lads too that are now pals. 

Ive probably changed a bit too with how I interact with others. I’m well aware I can slaver with the best of them but I can’t deal with snide. Get snide and I’m out discussing anything with you. 
You get some stick at times but in general I find you quite amusing and amiable. Fairly sure a good lad who just wants to keep the Blair Drummond lions well fed ☺️

6 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Hahaha bang on man. 
I enjoy this forum a lot whether it’s for reading people’s opinions or being surprised by their knowledge. I’ve had loads of help on loads of things too through PM’s etc.

Ive met some good lads too that are now pals. 

Ive probably changed a bit too with how I interact with others. I’m well aware I can slaver with the best of them but I can’t deal with snide. Get snide and I’m out discussing anything with you. 
You get some stick at times but in general I find you quite amusing and amiable. Fairly sure a good lad who just wants to keep the Blair Drummond lions well fed ☺️

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95235syygbzh3h5r68d0 

I'm like you, I like reading some new stuff. But when folk come out with some right pish I'll question it, in my own way 😁 

Ever noticed how no-one ever questions the post full of shite, when you or I reply to the Lego munchers.

19 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

The topics largely aren't about having a vast knowledge of anything at all, the Ukraine war for example. They don't need to have a vast knowledge of anything but the latest news to discuss it.

Some people can offer knowledge most don't have, some have been in the military so they can speak on weapons being employed with knowledge the rest of us don't have. 

Anybody can have an opinion on anything at all. And most of them probably only partake on maybe a few topics, many of which are  actually majorly topical like the war and Trump going to jail.

Unknown user
Just now, JFK-1 said:

The topics largely aren't about having a vast knowledge of anything at all, the Ukraine war for example. They don't need to have a vast knowledge of anything but the latest news to discuss it.

Some people can offer knowledge most don't have, some have been in the military so they can speak on weapons being employed with knowledge the rest of us don't have. 

Anybody can have an opinion on anything at all. And most of them probably only partake on maybe a few topics, many of which are  actually majorly topical like the war and Trump going to jail.

Yeah exactly, and then there's the old saying, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

We're generally lay people here so anything picked up (I use duckduckgo ri! 😛) is generally worth sharing I reckon. The big danger is learning a little about a big subject and thinking you understand the whole thing and it's implications in totality.

19 hours ago, Smithee said:

I like to look things up unless I'm disinterested. I haven't followed the Ukraine war but I have looked up the wagner group, so I don't have much to offer really except with specific things.

I know a little about a lot, and a lot about little. But I'm an opinionated ***** basically.

I'm the same 👍

Equally, particularly on here, nobody is asking your opinion so you're choosing to engage in a discussion willfully. Why would you open a thread and post "I don't know anything about this"? It would be pointless.

There's reems of threads where I've not posted as I'm not interested and haven't done any reading on the topic. With Google at hand, it's not exactly hard to learn the basics of something enough to form a conversational opinion on almost anything.

Equally, I feel some people just know nothing about an awful lot of things and it seems to annoy them that other people are inherently curious and have read up on a wide selection of things. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

inherently curious and have read up on a wide selection of things. 

Bingo. I don't apologise for wanting to know about stuff, and if I wasn't a weed smoker I'd probably be able to remember some of it too!

The types who post on tons of different topics with authority, tend to just be terminally online folk parroting an opinion they have read online as their own.