Ambition ( merged )

pointon

It’s 2023 surely it’s time we outspent our record transfer fee considering the amount of money ourselves and benefactors put in

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pointon

• GinRummy

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Sooks

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, pointon said:

It’s 2023 surely it’s time we outspent our record transfer fee considering the amount of money ourselves and benefactors put in

What if we manage to get a better player for less , or even nothing ? Would you still demand we break the record ? Just for a statement 

Until we are able to shop in a different market , wages are the more important consideration 

What if that happened is 

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What if we manage to get a better player for less , or even nothing ? Would you still demand we break the record ? Just for a statement 

Until we are able to shop in a different market , wages are the more important consideration 

What if that happened is no excuse 

Just now, R9. said:

How much would Beslija 850k price tag be now in 2023 with inflation.

And how much would Skacel , Jankauskas , Bednar and Fyssas demand as a salary now , with inflation ……….. Salvatori wages ? Unless we suddenly find our selves with a thirty or forty million budget for players , then I would prefer we were wiser and spent what we do have on good wages 

Yes, Lets throw caution to the wind and splash the cash on signings we can't afford. 

What could possibly go wrong.

9 minutes ago, pointon said:

I’m sure this will be top of Gerrard’s inbox. 

Edited by CMc

Selkirkhmfc1874

Every penny we can afford to throw at the 1st team should be thrown at it but within our means ! Never ever want us to spend money we can't afford ever again

Just now, R9. said:

Crazy to think mate. Even spend 500k on that Makela 

Mental eh ? See the early Bosman years , that is where we were in a good place . There was not as massive a gap between what we could pay and other leagues , and you could attract tel quality to come to Hearts . Before that was even better , you knew if some one wanted to take a player of you they had to pay a fair price . No way we could keep hold of a Robertson or Levein for that length of time now

Berra than you

Rather we increased our wage structure (within means) to attract better players. Teams that pay higher wages tend to finish higher up divisions. Actual spend on transfer fees doesn't tend to mean as much.

5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Rather we increased our wage structure (within means) to attract better players. Teams that pay higher wages tend to finish higher up divisions. Actual spend on transfer fees doesn't tend to mean as much.

I think this is correct. 

18 minutes ago, pointon said:

Spending record transfer fees guarantees nothing. We are being managed financially as soundly possible while trying to remain competitive and that isn’t going to change. I suggest you take that on board.

7 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

And this. I’d rather we upped out wage bill rather than spunked a million on someone, who would probably break our wage structure anyway. 

Just as well we signed Kio last summer. With inflationary pressures remaining persistent, he'd cost us nearer €500,000 now. 

3 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Spending record transfer fees guarantees nothing. We are being managed financially as soundly possible while trying to remain competitive and that isn’t going to change. I suggest you take that on board.

Neither does free transfers sometimes you have to roll the dice when was the last time we got a decent fee from the players we have signed out of contract and I don’t include youth player Hickey in that ?

2 minutes ago, pointon said:

Neither does free transfers sometimes you have to roll the dice when was the last time we got a decent fee from the players we have signed out of contract and I don’t include youth player Hickey in that ?

I’d rather a free transfer didn’t work out than someone who cost £1m. 

Pasquale for King

I would rather we spent money on two Shankland type investments than one risky signing that breaks the wage structure. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

I’d rather a free transfer didn’t work out than someone who cost £1m. 

As the thread title says ambition 

Bazzas right boot

Aye, spend it oan anywan.

Get two aff them.

Doesn't matter who, we just need to do it.

OP is on to something. 

30 minutes ago, pointon said:

That sounds brilliant, ha ha.

Imagine we want to buy someone from say St Mirren and we only have £500k to spare.

They will want as much as they could squeeze out of us but you would be willing to go above £750k to break our record.  Well done.

The only ambition that shows is the ambition to go bust again.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, R9. said:

Cracking song tho.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

That sounds brilliant, ha ha.

Imagine we want to buy someone from say St Mirren and we only have £500k to spare.

They will want as much as they could squeeze out of us but you would be willing to go above £750k to break our record.  Well done.

The only ambition that shows is the ambition to go bust again.

Imagine we spent £500.000 haha

22 minutes ago, R9. said:

For what it's worth,

Makela's record in the Finnish league with HJK Helsinki the season before he joined us (04/05) was 16 goals in 25 games - 0.64 goals per game.

Morelos' record with HJK before joining Rangers was 27 goals in 42 league games - 0.64 goals per game.

Both are reported to have had the same £500k price tag as well...

5 minutes ago, pointon said:

I wouldn't have a problem with that - you obviously would.  ha ha

43 minutes ago, R9. said:

About £1,570,000, give or take a wee bit.

44 minutes ago, R9. said:

£1,370,428.60

11 minutes ago, pointon said:

Did we not sign Kio for 600k or so?

gordon simpson
51 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And how much would Skacel , Jankauskas , Bednar and Fyssas demand as a salary now , with inflation ……….. Salvatori wages ? Unless we suddenly find our selves with a thirty or forty million budget for players , then I would prefer we were wiser and spent what we do have on good wages 

spot on ,us who have been there before know the score 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, pointon said:

Yes, we should spend money just to advance our highest transfer fee to date.

It’s an absolute embarrassment that we don’t beat it every three years.

Budge oot!!

5 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Yes, we should spend money just to advance our highest transfer fee to date.

It’s an absolute embarrassment that we don’t beat it every three years.

Budge oot!!

Sounds good. Who we going for?

48 minutes ago, pointon said:

As the thread title says ambition 

Ambition is nothing to do with spending money just to break a record. 

Unknown user
32 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

£1,370,428.60

Derek Ferguson in August 1990 inflates to about £2.2m now 🤯

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, pointon said:

To make good money on players we need to stretch our outlay not £200.000 here or £150.000 there

You're right. 

If we'd only have splashed out on a striker instead of scraping around paying only £300k for a dud like Shankland 

1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

You're right. 

If we'd only have splashed out on a striker instead of scraping around paying only £300k for a dud like Shankland 

Any the rest that we signed ?

The Treasurer
Just now, pointon said:

Any the rest that we signed ?

The point being, if we know where to look its not always about how much we spend, but who we spend it on. 

I'm sure you would be one of the first to complain if a record signing turned out to be the new Vanacek 

Quite happy to keep the money in the bank this summer and grab Mbappe next summer on a free.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, The Treasurer said:

The point being, if we know where to look its not always about how much we spend, but who we spend it on. 

I'm sure you would be one of the first to complain if a record signing turned out to be the new Vanacek 

Bah, he'd understand that some work out and some do.

He'd be balanced and move forward. 

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

RangersNewco spent 6m on Kent. Left for nothing - wasn't 6m better than our wingers during his contract.

It’s a good point. No point splashing out mega bucks on one player. Needs to be an upgrade of the squad as a whole. 

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

RangersNewco spent 6m on Kent. Left for nothing - wasn't 6m better than our wingers during his contract.

Add to that. They signed Bassey and Aribo for buttons, less than 300k I think and sold them for a combined 30m.

It isn't about spending money to make money. It's about good scouting.

Spending £1m does not always guarantee a good player. Don’t know why people don’t understand this. 

We could go and spend a million pound each on a ‘keeper, a midfielder and a striker and you could bet your bottom dollar they won’t be as good as Gordon, Beni or Shankland. In the market we are shopping in, free agents, pre contracts, nominal fees and measly million pound players all much of a muchness. 

Wages get you the better players, not fees. 

Thank god we are fan owned but not fan run. 

This ain't ambition splunking high transfer fees just to make some kind of statement 

Recruitment has to be spot on with YoY improvements to the quality of the squad 

Small progress steps ... No big Eddie the eagle type jumps 

7 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Spending £1m does not always guarantee a good player. Don’t know why people don’t understand this. 

We could go and spend a million pound each on a ‘keeper, a midfielder and a striker and you could bet your bottom dollar they won’t be as good as Gordon, Beni or Shankland. In the market we are shopping in, free agents, pre contracts, nominal fees and measly million pound players all much of a muchness. 

Wages get you the better players, not fees. 

As our own record signing showed! Haha

HeartsandonlyHearts
45 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Sounds good. Who we going for?

Ellis Simms. He knows us. He gets us. And he’s slightly above average. 

Just now, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Ellis Simms. He knows us. He gets us. And he’s slightly above average. 

3.5 million well spent. But the 15k a week he would probably want might not go down well with Shankland, McKay, Halkett and other senior guys.

I know you know this, I’m just making a point, aimed at Pointon more than anyone. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Ambition ( merged )