All aboard the Naisy train - poll!!

Ricardo Quaresma

Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?  

1,085 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?

counting sheep
6 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Nobody claimed we should skip the recruitment process

Good post Mikey; very comprehensive like your record length post from yesterday 🙂

You haven't read the thread, have you, bud?

Pretty sure we have conducted the process of weighing other candidates against the prospect of hiring Naismith permanently in the last 7 weeks

Fink seems to be another german who likes to think he can challenge the OF, ala Ferguson; Mattheus was also keen; regardless, I think he'll have to wait until next time, for reasons I've already specified on this thread; interesting prospect on the surface though, big name too

The other guy, no, just no

Posted why on the thread about him

I would hazard a guess that Wilder is nowhere near Burley when he was with us

Agree on 2nd para

Then he does well, then a club steal him from us for pennies? Like RANGERS?

True, it was risky

I don't know if RN knew this, but for 3 at the back you need very fast players, the central one doesn't need to be as quick but more or less the whole team need to be quick and play a fluid style

We'll get the defence right, I think; we've had enough warnings and lessons, that's for sure

Na I'll be honest I don't have time to read all 1400 comments on the thread 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Ricardo Quaresma

• kingantti1874

Ricardo Quaresma
2 minutes ago, counting sheep said:

Na I'll be honest I don't have time to read all 1400 comments on the thread 

Well, it's just that you've  posted the same stuff as has been posted many times already

Jim Panzee
15 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Any appointment at our level is a gamble. We sacked Tommy Walker in 1966 for finishing 5th or 6th and never got another decent manager until 1982, having to suffer several relegations on the way. 🥸

WTF?

was Ann Budge's mother in charge of Hearts in the 60's and 70's or something?!

We must've been soft as shite then too. W.I. meetings with scones and bacon sangwiches galore!!!

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

WTF?

We must've been soft as shite then too. W.I. meetings with scones and bacon sangwiches galore!!!

Yip, her mother Widnae!!

3 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

WTF?

:rofl:

Great back on topic pheww 😃 If Sir gordon of Currie says yes i am defo in.

If Naisy gets the job I expect Gordon Forrest to stay on doing what he's doing as No3. Who Naisy/Board appoint as No2 will be important (McAvoy will go back to his main job).

Someone with experience to lean on would be best.

He should be allowed to bring in his own team if he wants or else not the way managers are normally apointed

Dusk_Till_Dawn
57 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

WTF?

it’s custard creams m8. That and warm cups of tea after defeats.

Bull's-eye
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I actually find that article quite distasteful and another reason why I wouldn't be giving it to Naisy. This group of players have just got one manager the sack, that article confirms it. What happens when the same group decide they've had enough of Naisy's intensity. He'll be up against it by November and sacked by Xmas imo. 

We need a strong experienced manager that will get the most out of the current players while structurally easing the majority of them out the door. 

Naisy will try his best to get this current lot functioning, short term, I have absolutely no doubt he can do that. Medium to long term, I think all we're doing is setting him up to fail and just moving the issues we have into the start of next season.

We_are_the_Hearts
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

I actually find that article quite distasteful and another reason why I wouldn't be giving it to Naisy. This group of players have just got one manager the sack, that article confirms it. What happens when the same group decide they've had enough of Naisy's intensity. He'll be up against it by November and sacked by Xmas imo. 

We need a strong experienced manager that will get the most out of the current players while structurally easing the majority of them out the door. 

Naisy will try his best to get this current lot functioning, short term, I have absolutely no doubt he can do that. Medium to long term, I think all we're doing is setting him up to fail and just moving the issues we have into the start of next season.

Think Snodgrass and Humphreys might disagree

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Robbie Neilson signed the vast vast majority of those players and all he kept talking about was signing the 'right type' of player, ability and personality wise.

He lost most of them and it's his fault. The entire stadium and players could see it was failing.

Nelly Terraces

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get it. And I reckon there'll be an announcement this week (just a hunch, no actual knowledge of this). 

Unknown user
48 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Distasteful? I really don't know about that!

Brick Tamland
11 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Stendel is a good manager and given the resources and backing ,Robbie and Levein got would achieve far more than they ever did.……..

I actually wonder if people do research or do they just open there mouth and talk utter ****ing jibberish.

Stendels record over the last 3 seasons that he has managed…

22/23 German 4th tier - P36 W24 D4 L11

21/22 France 2nd tier P10 W0 D4 L6

19/20 Barnsley & us P29 W6 D8 L15

Not the stats of a good manager for our level 

Edited by Brick Tamland

16 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I mostly agree. The formation itself isn't wrong, but we've played it badly here. You mention them switching off (part of this was that Hill was running upfield after throwing the ball in, but anyway), for me it's also about spacing. You shouldn't have your last three defenders standing in a bunch 10 yards long at any point.

My point is that we weren't somehow unlucky at the goal and that it wasn't somehow Cochrane's fault alone. The whole defensive played naively here and we got caught out. It was a bad team-wide error that shouldn't have been made and it nearly cost us 4th.

We miss a leader at the back who organises  and keeps them switched on. Not much naisy can do about that until either halkett is back or we bring in a defender who can do it. 

counting sheep
2 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Well, it's just that you've  posted the same stuff as has been posted many times already

Well done for reading them all and keeping check

counting sheep
12 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Stendels record over the last 3 seasons that he has managed…

22/23 German 4th tier - P36 W24 D4 L11

21/22 France 2nd tier P10 W0 D4 L6

19/20 Barnsley & us P29 W6 D8 L15

Not the stats of a good manager for our level 

Folk still talking about Stendel. Deary me

Nerja Jambo
3 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Last paragraph is spot on

Equally we might regret appointing a coach with no experience at all. That to me is a far greater gamble.  

Italian Lambretta

I wonder if they are having another Board meeting today for the 3rd day running just to make absolutely sure the next manager is not hiding in plain sight.

Hope that is not the case after the levien disaster surely we have learned our lesson. Would like to think the board are better than that and have looked at who we could afford if that is only naisy fair enough anything else would be just lazy management.  

Just now, jtkb said:

Hope that is not the case after the levien disaster surely we have learned our lesson. Would like to think the board are better than that and have looked at who we could afford if that is only naisy fair enough anything else would be just lazy management.  

It wouldn’t be only Naisy though. If they’ve appointed him it’ll be because they think he’ll do a good job. It’s probably that simple and time will tell whether they’re right. 

Be funny if 3 board meetings just to appoint naismith 😃 Then it would just be a case of having tea and biscuits on HMFC unless JA brings the Jaffa cakes

I trust this board there action to get rid of neilson and snodgrass was spot on.

2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Likewise the same group of players could do the same to any manager we decide to appoint, probably less chance with SN as he will know who the bad eggs were or are.

Jim Panzee
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

it’s custard creams m8. That and warm cups of tea after defeats.

maybe back in the 60 / 70's it was more those horrific fig roll biscuits. and the pink wafer type ones too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

If it were to be someone else, guessing we would have known by now. Sunday night at 5pm seems to be a popular time for a management update, Neilson in and out

ford donald
5 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

If it were to be someone else, guessing we would have known by now. Sunday night at 5pm seems to be a popular time for a management update, Neilson in and out

SN will know if he has the job,just finer details to be sorted.

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

RN got himself sacked and lest we forget, his assistant was sacked too. 

Maybe the new guy can fare better in getting / retaining the respect of the players by not swanning off to play golf and/ or whatever else it was he/they did  that caused the collapse. 

Jim Panzee
46 minutes ago, jtkb said:

I trust this board there action to get rid of neilson and snodgrass was spot on.

Naismith got rid of Snodgrass no?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
16 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

maybe back in the 60 / 70's it was more those horrific fig roll biscuits. and the pink wafer type ones too.

those pink wafer ones were pure rank tbf. Can’t see Budge’s line stooping to that common level 

3 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

When the club captain comes out with comments like these, it’s obvious to everyone and their dug that SN has got the gig. 

Maybe he is looking for a job in coaching? 

2 hours ago, counting sheep said:

Folk still talking about Stendel. Deary me

I think one poster is having a conversation with himself re Stendel and a couple have questioned whether that poster is ok. 

The reference to Stendel is a painful reminder of the type of managerial appointment this Board has been capable of. 

39 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Don't forget the squashed fly Garibaldi's.

Screenshot_20230531_143419_Google.jpg

Watt-Zeefuik
13 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Just a couple of things re that goal (off topic though it is) First, we’re defending high up the park because we think we’ve got the pace at the back to deal with runners. It’s not where the individual 3 are standing, it’s the fact that Nisbet has been quicker thinking. He’s onside when the ball is played so at least one defender (Rowles I think) is closer to the goal than he is but when he receives it he’s 3 yards clear of them. By the time Rowles catches him he’s in the act of laying it off. Rowles has been done, not by pace but by lack of alterness, awareness and speed of reaction

Second, we’ve got nowhere near competing for  the long throw in and we’re nowhere near putting pressure on the through ball. Devlin is closest but not close enough. Three Hibs players near were that throw lands. No Hearts players near enough and one of them plays a no look lob over our last man

The thing that most causes the incident  IMO is complete lack of awareness and cleverness by Cochrane. When that through lob is played Cadden is in his own half, Cochrane is 15-20 yards off him. He’s got to do better to cover Caddens run. He’s got to see him and marshall him and he’s got to always be goal side but he’s ball watching and retreating without even watching what Cadden is doing, until Nisbit releases the pass and suddenly Cochrane is wrong side of a man (who’s made up 20 yards in less than 50 yards)with one last ditch

chance to wrap a leg in front of him to clear which if he gets wrong and brings the man down………….It’s awful defending by Cochrane, not just the tackle but allowing that runner to get in front of him in the first place.

The goal itself doesn’t come from that phase of play of course and our set up at the set piece was just a calamity, by the wall and the goalkeeper who all seemed to lose focus m, concentration and composure because of the red card incident. it’s as if we thought we’d got out of jail because it wasn’t a penalty and we just didn’t look in again for the free kick

I can agree with most of this. (And yeah, I realized later I said it cost us a goal, when what it cost us was really a red card and a free kick in a dangerous area that we also covered badly.) What I'm mostly pushing back against is "we did well against Hibs considering the red card." To me if the ref goes bananas (e.g., Haring at Mirren) or one player just does something really daft (Grant vs. Zurich, Devlin vs. Rangers), then you can grade the performance with a handicap of the red card. But if the red card comes from a really bad play where the foul is due to being cut open badly by the opposing team and multiple players are at fault, it's not some kind of bolt from the blue, it's part and parcel of a failed performance, and that has to at least partially reflect on the manager.

And while I don't disagree with your assessment, I still say the positioning was a problem. They were standing right in front of the technical area, Naismith should have been yelling at Rowles and Atkinson to spread out a bit. (And who knows, maybe he was and they didn't listen)

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

From memory that's similar positioning what done for Hill at Ibrox when he slipped. The defence were all on one side of the pitch, all bunched up.

Good point, I hadn't made that connection. Maybe it's intentional on Naisy's part, maybe he wants the heavy overload on one side. For better or worse Neilson would never have them that close. Of course the throw-in probably would end up right back at them and cycled around the back, but you wouldn't see 2/3 of the pitch uncovered.

2 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

We miss a leader at the back who organises  and keeps them switched on. Not much naisy can do about that until either halkett is back or we bring in a defender who can do it. 

Indeed. We never really replaced Souttar and it's been our biggest failing of signings. Halkett could do the job but when he went down there was no other ball winner or vocal leader at the back.

counting sheep
24 minutes ago, Carter said:

I think one poster is having a conversation with himself re Stendel and a couple have questioned whether that poster is ok. 

The reference to Stendel is a painful reminder of the type of managerial appointment this Board has been capable of. 

The majority of Kickback seems onboard with appointing the B Team coach off the back of 2 wins

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, counting sheep said:

The majority of Kickback seems onboard with appointing the B Team coach off the back of 2 wins

Suggest you read the threads and the rationale offered. B team and Scotland coach who’s played at a higher level than anyone else at the club, has transformed performances.  

counting sheep
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Suggest you read the threads and the rationale offered. B team and Scotland coach who’s played at a higher level than anyone else at the club, has transformed performances.  

What's playing at a high level got to do with it? 

10 minutes ago, counting sheep said:

I think it's got a fair bit to be honest. Naismith has played at the highest level. He's not working with Scotland alongside Clarke to put the cones out. 

The B Team manager tag is a little disrespectful imo. Perfectly legitimate to believe Naismith isn't the right choice. But let's not try and shape it that he's a very serious football man. 

We need to be realistic to know where we sit in the food chain. We're not going to get a manager from the continent or England who is on an upward trajectory. We could get a Lee Johnson type who's routinely failed at bigger clubs in England or we could tap into the merry go round in Scotland with the jeopardy that comes with that. Or we give the job to an inexperienced guy in football management terms, yet clearly knows the time of day. 

TyphoonJambo
13 minutes ago, Carter said:

I think it's got a fair bit to be honest. Naismith has played at the highest level. He's not working with Scotland alongside Clarke to put the cones out. 

The B Team manager tag is a little disrespectful imo. Perfectly legitimate to believe Naismith isn't the right choice. But let's not try and shape it that he's a very serious football man. 

We need to be realistic to know where we sit in the food chain. We're not going to get a manager from the continent or England who is on an upward trajectory. We could get a Lee Johnson type who's routinely failed at bigger clubs in England or we could tap into the merry go round in Scotland with the jeopardy that comes with that. Or we give the job to an inexperienced guy in football management terms, yet clearly knows the time of day. 

Very well put.

jamboinglasgow
18 minutes ago, Carter said:

Completely agree the b team tag is disrespectful, when Guardiola took over Barca he had been b team manager for a year. Barca had high profile names they were looking at but chose Pep. 

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely agree the b team tag is disrespectful, when Guardiola took over Barca he had been b team manager for a year. Barca had high profile names they were looking at but chose Pep. 

If we don't appoint Naismith then I feel he'll be off. He's not going back to manage B Team after the experience of the past 7 games. 

I can understand the reservations based on his lack of management experience. That could be offset to a large extent by a good Assistant manager appointment. 

15 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He got 3 months ffs with a team that was low on confidence, the team was ****ed.

Stendel is a good manager and given the resources and backing ,Robbie and Levein got would achieve far more than they ever did.

I guarantee that ,that's how confident I am.

Robbie has never went a full season unbeaten at home, Stendel did Fact.

Oh wonder what Celtic and Rangers did this season?

Went unbeaten at Home 🫢🤨🫡.

Stendel beat Rangers twice Robbie didn't lay a ****ing glove on them.

It's bat shit crazy too think he wouldn't piss this league.

People remember him for The draws he got and several defeats.

Give the man 1 pre season,with that team and he will have it flying.

How many fans want to celebrate with manager after he's been sacked ?

He finished ahead of Sunderland, who have a massive budget advantage, over the likes of Barnsley.

I actually wonder if people do research or do they just open there mouth and talk utter ****ing jibberish.

So much hate for a German who put the club before his own personal interests, sadly the PHM Bob and Rolf didn't do similar?

Agree with this.

50 minutes ago, counting sheep said:

Loved that Tina Turner song.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I reckon they'll have moved on to the 80s, mint Viscounts, maybe even orange Clubs.

PapaShango

The Stendel chat needs to go in the bin and folk pulled up for constantly trolling threads with guff surrounding him. 

• davemclaren locked this topic