All aboard the Naisy train - poll!!

Ricardo Quaresma

Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?  

1,085 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like Naismith for manager 2023 / 2024?

counting sheep
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Welcome to Kickback. For me, it goes a bit deeper than his results so far, though ultimately he’ll be judged on results. He opted to change the playing style, which was badly needed but also takes some time to work. There are signs that he’s got the squad United and pulling together as a side and he’s improved individuals very quickly. I guess it just comes down to if you think he can build on what he’s started and sustain it or not  

This is true and a bold move when he only had 7 games. Would have been easy to shut up shop and hold out for a few results.

I would be going with a short term contract for him. I'm sure we've forked out enough comp this year

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

• Ricardo Quaresma

• kingantti1874

Go for it 1308
1 hour ago, counting sheep said:

Hi Guys,

Longtime reader of kickback, first time poster.

I would have liked Naisy kept on as an assistant or first team coach but not manager. It's normal teams get a wee lift from a new guy coming in and worry we are appointing him off the back of a wee honeymoon period. Which by the way only includes 2 wins all be it the football was better.

Who would you want mate?

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Welcome to Kickback. For me, it goes a bit deeper than his results so far, though ultimately he’ll be judged on results. He opted to change the playing style, which was badly needed but also takes some time to work. There are signs that he’s got the squad United and pulling together as a side and he’s improved individuals very quickly. I guess it just comes down to if you think he can build on what he’s started and sustain it or not  

Any appointment at our level is a gamble. We sacked Tommy Walker in 1966 for finishing 5th or 6th and never got another decent manager until 1982, having to suffer several relegations on the way. 🥸

Back to 2005
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He could only play the players we have. Surely he will realise we need a couple of centre halves in to stop the endless supply of cheap goals we have been giving away from cross balls.

the style of play however has been night and day compared to the tediously slow paced Neilson tactics. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

Whoever voted No are one of 3 things,

1.  They just don’t like Naismith as a person.

2.  They don’t know a good manager when they see one.

3.  They’d prefer a manager who would be another gamble.

Just listen to Naisy, He Gets It, He knows what Hearts need,

we just need the board to back him because he will deliver.

Just remember I’m never wrong.

Or 4. Was not prepared to say yes in the absence of any knowledge of what if any the alternatives were. We have been through all of this.

FWIW I think it is very likely he will get the job and that he might well do a very good job. I hope the decision is not determined or over influenced  by a poll of a small fraction of our fan base on here.

8 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A recent manager of ours was defended to the end  by most on here despite failing miserably because of his achievements in the second tier of a league just a wee bit inferior to the Bundesliga.

You’ll have to be more specific. Plenty recent times we’ve kept hold of a manager for too long, purely on the basis that they had been good in the past. In one case we’ll over 12 years since he was ‘good’ and even back then half the support hated him.

David McCaig
2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Whoever voted No are one of 3 things,

1.  They just don’t like Naismith as a person.

2.  They don’t know a good manager when they see one.

3.  They’d prefer a manager who would be another gamble.

Just listen to Naisy, He Gets It, He knows what Hearts need,

we just need the board to back him because he will deliver.

Just remember I’m never wrong.

1. I really like Naismith as a person and if he is appointed, he'll have my 100% backing.

2. You're probably right 😎

3. I think he has done fairly well, just not well enough to discount all other options.  If he is appointed after a full recruitment exercise so be it.

On 29/05/2023 at 10:31, David McCaig said:

I won't be upset if Naismith gets the job but I don't think he's presented a compelling enough case to stop a full recruitment process.

You said that previously. ☝️

17 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

That's not what I've said, is it.

Are you sure about that? You have at least alluded to it.

Apologies if I picked you up wrongly, but methinks you have some sort of notion that the 'recruitment process' (whatever that may be) has been cast aside.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

You should be barred for mentioning DS. Useless ***** put us bottom of the table and cost us our place in the division.

Levein and the spfl a lot more to blame.  But you know that.

33 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

David of course did not say that. I am getting concerned about our education standards given many posters reading and comprehension ability.

Including your own. 👍

Ps ... mind your own business. 😁

Pps ... You do realise that your grammar fell short?

'posters' ... Deary me. If you are going to berate other people's education standards then best check your own.

It should've been posters' ...  and probably 'abilities' rather than 'ability.😁

Edited by Wee Mikey

Bongo 1874
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

A recent manager of ours was defended to the end  by most on here despite failing miserably because of his achievements in the second tier of a league just a wee bit inferior to the Bundesliga.

Glad you said this 👏 😀 Robbie will never manage a team in the Bundesliga.

David McCaig
Just now, Wee Mikey said:

You said that previously. ☝️

Are you sure about that? You have at least alluded to it.

Apologies if I picked you up wrongly, but methinks you have some sort of notion that the 'recruitment process' (whatever that may be) has been cast aside.

I don't even allude to it.

All I've said is that the majority on here want Naismith appointed with immediate effect.

My personal.view is that it would be an opportunity missed if we didn't at least speak to other applicants.

counting sheep
4 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Who would you want mate?

Thorsten Fink or Cifuentes out of the names linked. I would like someone outside the Scottish football world for a fresh approach. Naisy can keep them right on all things Scottish football when they need.

Appreciate that's not happening though 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Any appointment at our level is a gamble. We sacked Tommy Walker in 1966 for finishing 5th or 6th and never got another decent manager until 1982, having to suffer several relegations on the way. 🥸

Agree it’s a gamble. I have a feeling he’ll be worth the punt but no matter who we pick only time will tell. 

6 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

He could only play the players we have. Surely he will realise we need a couple of centre halves in to stop the endless supply of cheap goals we have been giving away from cross balls.

the style of play however has been night and day compared to the tediously slow paced Neilson tactics. 

One of the main reasons I want him is the style he clearly wants to play. A transfer window should be able to see him do it more effectively. 

1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Naismith is on holiday so wouldn't expect any formal announcement until they have discussed any contract etc. with him unless he already has agreed to terms. 

Unless he’s on a desert island with no phone signal or internet I’m sure he can take 15 minutes out of his holiday to run through some details. He doesn’t have to be here for a ‘formal announcement’ and he’s busy with Scotland when he gets back anyway. Stand by for a beach towel above the head photo opp though.

David McCaig
1 minute ago, counting sheep said:

Thorsten Fink or Cifuentes out of the names linked. I would like someone outside the Scottish football world for a fresh approach. Naisy can keep them right on all things Scottish football when they need.

Appreciate that's not happening though 

If someone of the calibre of Chris Wilder was genuinely available it would be an appointment of George Burley proportions.

Of course he may well not be in which case if the actual shortlist consisted of guys like Alex Neil or Stephen Robinson my vote would be to take the chance on Naismith.

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

To be fair, the consensus view on Kickback is that winning 2 games out of 7 = an irrefutable case for scrapping the recruitment process and appointing Naismith with immediate effect.

Good point. If it’s all about results over a short period when you’ve not even had a shite in the managers office toilet, we should have went for Barry Robson

Rick Sanchez
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Unless he’s on a desert island with no phone signal or internet I’m sure he can take 15 minutes out of his holiday to run through some details. He doesn’t have to be here for a ‘formal announcement’ and he’s busy with Scotland when he gets back anyway. Stand by for a beach towel above the head photo opp though.

Steve Clark says he has someone else lined up to replace Naismith if and when he gets word.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Glad you said this 👏 😀 Robbie will never manage a team in the Bundesliga.

Has any Scot ( or even a Brit ) ever managed a team in the Bundesliga? 🥸

Naisys Tackle
Just now, davemclaren said:

Mark Fotheringham?

vegas-voss
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Steve McClaren Wolfsburg 

9 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

If someone of the calibre of Chris Wilder was genuinely available it would be an appointment of George Burley proportions.

Of course he may well not be in which case if the actual shortlist consisted of guys like Alex Neil or Stephen Robinson my vote would be to take the chance on Naismith.

Chris Wilder will be lucky if he’s seen 3 Scottish football matches in his entire life. He’s got no experience in the Scottish game and probably holds the view many down  there hold. He’d get that shite fecking knocked out of him first time he played a top six side. He wouldn’t come with a guarantee. Neither did Burley. Neither will Naismith. I’d rather go foreign than some overrated no mark getting off the golden merry go round for an ‘easy’ gig

Edited by JimmyCant

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Steve Clark says he has someone else lined up to replace Naismith if and when he gets word.

Is it Lee Johnson? 😝

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Mark Fotheringham?

Not according to wiki. 

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Steve McClaren Wolfsburg 

Yip. 👍 Decent Scottish name as well but can't spell it properly. 😎

Naisys Tackle
6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Not according to wiki. 

Yip. 👍 Decent Scottish name as well but can't spell it properly. 😎

He kept Hertha up as caretaker ;) 

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Jurgen Clansman ?

17 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

I don't even allude to it.

All I've said is that the majority on here want Naismith appointed with immediate effect.

My personal.view is that it would be an opportunity missed if we didn't at least speak to other applicants.

Fair enough. Sorry 🙏.  But, I'd be astonished if we haven't gone through all applications with a serious eye. We may even have spoken to some, but us fans will likely never know.

Last time (if heresay is to be believed) there were hunners o' applications submitted.

Maybe, just maybe, this time it's a case of those already submitted didn't stack up v a person already in our set-up? Nothing like the Levein along the corridor debacle.

Ach, we'll find out soon enough.

davemclaren
3 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

He kept Hertha up as caretaker ;) 

🤷‍♂️

Naisys Tackle
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

🤷‍♂️

Therefore managed in the league then.

Rick Sanchez
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Is it Lee Johnson? 😝

:laugh:

He did tell the reporter he'd find out who it is soon enough. Seems a formality.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Therefore managed in the league then.

I'll take your word for it. 😎

19 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Is it Lee Johnson? 😝

10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Jurgen Clansman ?

You're on 🔥 ... 😁

davemclaren
Just now, Naisys Tackle said:

:lol: 

He was in the dugout in charge because Magath was ill with  Covid. Not sure that counts. 😄

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

He was in the dugout in charge because Magath was ill with  Covid. Not sure that counts. 😄

It does for me lol :lol: 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Wtf. The red card, due to an error by a defender, was due to us wrongly playing 4 at the back?!  I’m out!

No mate it was because the defenders were the wrong position for the back 4 with inverted fullbacks that we were playing.

This is what I'm talking about.

image.thumb.png.e3bf37f0fda84453f3a2f22275066950.png

It's blurry I realize but when the deep ball was played, we had three defenders virtually standing next to each other there. Atkinson, Hill, and Rowles are all in a bunch. Cochrane, having been inverted, was on the right side of the center circle before this. There is no defender or midfielder anywhere in the left two thirds of the pitch. Nisbet makes the simplest possible route 1 breaks out of the offside trap and ends up covered by the same three defenders still in a bunch around him. Cadden runs free on Cochrane's blind side where he has no help.

It's like if you were to draw up a play saying, "if you invert the fullbacks, what's the danger your defenders must be aware of?"

I don't want to make too big of a fuss about this, because stuff like this happens in football, particularly playing a new formation. But I'm not having, "oh we were playing great and just got horribly unlucky with a red card." The red card wasn't a referee error (shockingly given how bad Robertson was and continues to be). The red card wasn't a player doing something daft. The red card was Cochrane being forced into an very difficult situation by Hibs asking a fairly simple question of our defensive formation and us not being able to answer it.

16 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

No mate it was because the defenders were the wrong position for the back 4 with inverted fullbacks that we were playing.

It's blurry I realize but when the deep ball was played, we had three defenders virtually standing next to each other there. Atkinson, Hill, and Rowles are all in a bunch. Cochrane, having been inverted, was on the right side of the center circle before this. There is no defender or midfielder anywhere in the left two thirds of the pitch. Nisbet makes the simplest possible route 1 breaks out of the offside trap and ends up covered by the same three defenders still in a bunch around him. Cadden runs free on Cochrane's blind side where he has no help.

It's like if you were to draw up a play saying, "if you invert the fullbacks, what's the danger your defenders must be aware of?"

I don't want to make too big of a fuss about this, because stuff like this happens in football, particularly playing a new formation. But I'm not having, "oh we were playing great and just got horribly unlucky with a red card." The red card wasn't a referee error (shockingly given how bad Robertson was and continues to be). The red card wasn't a player doing something daft. The red card was Cochrane being forced into a very difficult situation by Hibs asking a fairly simple question of our defensive formation and us not being able to answer it.

The 3 defenders around nisbet are more than enough bodies to deal with that situation but they failed completely. All it takes is one off them to drop as the long ball is played and it’s dealt with easily. The problem is they have all switched off and been beat by route one football. 

hibs play direct football all the time and it’s something our defenders should have been well aware off and switched on to. For me it’s poor defending and not really much to do with formations. 

Edited by Russ1977

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, counting sheep said:

This is true and a bold move when he only had 7 games. Would have been easy to shut up shop and hold out for a few results.

I would be going with a short term contract for him. I'm sure we've forked out enough comp this year

Not sure we'd be due Naismith compensation. He was only made manager on an interim basis, so he could return to his previous post. 

Unlikely he would want to do that from listening to his interviews mind you 

counting sheep
8 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Not sure we'd be due Naismith compensation. He was only made manager on an interim basis, so he could return to his previous post. 

Unlikely he would want to do that from listening to his interviews mind you 

I was meaning Robbie and Lee would have gotten a pay off. Don't want to give Naismith a long deal and pay him off to

1 hour ago, David McCaig said:

George Burley was backed with cash and lots of it.

We would have to back the likes of Chris Wilder or someone similar with  big funds and a hefty salary.

Do we have that kind of dough nowadays  ?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

That is the standard response to the stuff you post.

Look at your avatar ffs

StevenNaismith
31 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I don't want to make too big of a fuss about this, because stuff like this happens in football, particularly playing a new formation. But I'm not having, "oh we were playing great and just got horribly unlucky with a red card." The red card wasn't a referee error (shockingly given how bad Robertson was and continues to be). The red card wasn't a player doing something daft. The red card was Cochrane being forced into a very difficult situation by Hibs asking a fairly simple question of our defensive formation and us not being able to answer it.

The whole reason for that particular occurrence at that point was our insistence on Hill taking the throw ins for distance. As he tried to push up the ball was played over and he played Nisbet onside. Full back should be taking throw ins inside our half at all times and not a centre back no matter how long he throws it.

Watt-Zeefuik
13 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

The 3 defenders around nisbet are more than enough bodies to deal with that situation but they failed completely. All it takes is one off them to drop as the long ball is played and it’s dealt with easily. The problem is they have all switched off and been beat by route one football. 

hibs play direct football all the time and it’s something our defenders should have been well aware off and switched on to. For me it’s poor defending and not really much to do with formations. 

I mostly agree. The formation itself isn't wrong, but we've played it badly here. You mention them switching off (part of this was that Hill was running upfield after throwing the ball in, but anyway), for me it's also about spacing. You shouldn't have your last three defenders standing in a bunch 10 yards long at any point.

My point is that we weren't somehow unlucky at the goal and that it wasn't somehow Cochrane's fault alone. The whole defensive played naively here and we got caught out. It was a bad team-wide error that shouldn't have been made and it nearly cost us 4th.

• davemclaren locked this topic