Well done, ref

Wee Mikey

I didn't really want to start a new thread, but didn't wish to corrupt the 'Well done Willie Collum' thread.

It had me thinking of other bizarre or just plain wrong refereeing decisions, so here's the one that sprang to mind first.

it may not be quite up there with Collumgate, but Jamie Hamill's red card for deliberate handball? You couldn't make it up! Then again, no need to when John Beaton is in charge. Right in front of the Hearts support too. Hopping mad!!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/23932806

Edited by Wee Mikey

upgotheheads
5 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I didn't really want to start a new thread, but didn't wish to corrupt the 'Well Done Willie Collum' thread.

It had me thinking of other bizarre or just plain wrong refereeing decisions, so here's the one that sprang to mind first.

it may not be quite up there with Collumgate, but Jamie Hamill's red card for deliberate handball? You couldn't make it up! Then again, no need to when John Beaton is in charge. Right in front of the Hearts support too. Hopping mad!!!

I'd forgotten that one.

34 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I didn't really want to start a new thread, but didn't wish to corrupt the 'Well done Willie Collum' thread.

Didn't realise it was Beaton as ref that day, sadly its impossible not to dislike him anymore but I'll try.

Zaliukas getting sent off for being on the receiving end of Lee Miller's headbutt, ref getting the chance to review it and sticking by his decision 😤

14 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Zaliukas getting sent off for being on the receiving end of Lee Miller's headbutt, ref getting the chance to review it and sticking by his decision 😤

Iain Brines. 

kingantti1874

Oda one edouard dive in cup final

furuhashi offside goal

john guidetti dive

goal which crossed the line 

August Landmesser

I mind a game against Rangers in 88-89, Jim *** Renton gave Robbo as offside two yards inside the Hearts half.

Der Kaiser

Did the Shepherd not once get a straight red purely because the opposite player pretended to be hurt.

Both went up with high feet.

I'm thinking it was away to Aberdeen?

54 minutes ago, Trigger said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46463514

The worst one I’ve ever seen. And there’s been quite a catalogue to choose from.

Wasn't Dallas (although perhaps not then) Scotland's top refereeing gadgie?

We've already had 'Son of Dallas', so I'm guessing that there's a grandson getting primed to continue the dynasty.

22 minutes ago, been here before said:

Les Mottram at 1m 15s

That ☝️ takes some beating. 🤣

N Lincs Jambo

I was at an Aberdeen v Dundee Utd cup semifinal replay at Dens in the late 80s. Charlie Nicholas did Paul Hegarty with a great bit of skill (might have been a Cruyff turn). Hegarty catches him and Nicholas goes down. No doubt it was a foul. Willie Miller runs about 80 yards and is right in the refs face. Ref shites it off Miller and red cards Hegarty. At half time wee Jim MacLean runs onto the pitch to confront Miller. I honestly thought he was going to deck him.

I P Knightley

I sense a note of sarcasm in the thread title but feel we should give credit to refs on the few occasions it's deserved. 

So I'd like to nominate the ref in the Hearts game at Easter Rd in ?2013? When Lee Griffiths hit that thunderbolt free kick which hit the bar and didn't cross the line. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

I sense a note of sarcasm in the thread title but feel we should give credit to refs on the few occasions it's deserved. 

So I'd like to nominate the ref in the Hearts game at Easter Rd in ?2013? When Lee Griffiths hit that thunderbolt free kick which hit the bar and didn't cross the line.

To be fair, ref and linesman were only doing their job as there was no way that the whole ball was over the line.

35 minutes ago, been here before said:

Les Mottram at 1m 15s

12 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That ☝️ takes some beating. 🤣

Ps ... as per my original example whereby there was no claim from the opposition, has there ever been a time when the team benefitting has 'fessed up to the ref and done the sporting thing?

It isn't close to being the worst call I've ever seen. Might not even be in my top ten. 

But every time poor ref decisions come up in conversation I always think of that time Talbot booted Nicholson square in the face and basically got away with it. Only receiving a yellow. And Ozturk got booked for complaining about it! 

hearts-livingston-sam-nicholson-jason-ta

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

We all have a right good chuckle at that 'un, but I well remember from my vantage point in upper South elbowing my chum just as Griffiths struck it saying, "That's going in!"

My take is that the lino's view was compromised by the players rushing back.

5 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

To be fair, ref and linesman were only doing their job as there was no way that the whole ball was over the line.

Enough room for 2 balls and some. 🤣

Here it is:-

2 minutes ago, Bauld said:

It isn't close to being the worst call I've ever seen. Might not even be in my top ten. 

But every time poor ref decisions come up in conversation I always think of that time Talbot booted Nicholson square in the face and basically got away with it. Only receiving a yellow. And Ozturk got booked for complaining about it! 

Another 'classic'. To be fair it wasn't two-footed. 🤭

LarrysRightFoot
58 minutes ago, been here before said:

Les Mottram at 1m 15s

Think was an early Only An Excuse sketch about that one 

26 minutes ago, Bauld said:

5 points for guessing what team the ref from this game supports. It has been mentioned elsewhere on here.

33 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Holy cow.

Beaton ... again!!!

Hearts v Aberdeen when Uche got a yellow which was later (amazingly although correctly) rescinded.

Approx 2:15 for the Uche incident, but he, and Hearts, had the last laugh. Also, a fab Clare pen plus other talking points so well worth watching the highlights.

Uche's winner? Go Uche!!! 😁

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11790/11683126/hearts-striker-uche-ikpeazu-has-yellow-card-for-diving-rescinded

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/uche-ikpeazu-wins-hearts-appeal-14229882

16 minutes ago, escobri said:

5 points for guessing what team the ref from this game supports. It has been mentioned elsewhere on here.

Had to look it up. Brian Colvin. Hearts? Overcompensating???

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kung-fu-kicker-jason-talbot-gets-5139058

Edited by Wee Mikey

HeartsandonlyHearts
50 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Penalty!! Newco.

Dennis Reynolds
9 minutes ago, nobodymove said:

Fysass Vs Celtic when we were 2-0 up iirc

Sure it got rescinded? 

2-1 up and ended up getting beat 3-2. It did get rescinded. That was another Iain Brines one. He had a few extremely contentious decisions against us. Even refused to rescind Zals red card which ended up making the SFA change the appeals process.

nobodymove
4 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

2-1 up and ended up getting beat 3-2. It did get rescinded. That was another Iain Brines one. He had a few extremely contentious decisions against us. Even refused to rescind Zals red card which ended up making the SFA change the appeals process.

🤦 For me then 

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

... and here it is:-

And still total scum

This was about the time we used to sing "Scotland's number 2"  every time we played Rangers and McGregor would be raging every,single,time 😂

2 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

And still total scum

Beyond redemption. Defo deliberate and totally unnecessary. Grrrr ....

Willie Collum has done us a few times v Celtic with mental decisions. Gave Celtic a penalty for handball while already 5-0 up at Tynecastle vs a Hearts team full of kids. Ball was blootered from point blank range against Danny Wilson’s arm which was by his side. Then of course the Guidetti dive, despicable at worst, incompetent at best.

An extra gold medal to anyone who has a still, or even better a vid, of Hearts v Motherwell when Uche got taken down like a wildebeest by a lion after having fought off several outrageous challenges and then got a free-kick awarded against him.

If I remember correctly, he was defending deep near the corner of the Gorgie & Main Stands. It was more like rugby than football.

The defender brought him down with his arm around Uche's neck, if I'm not mistaken.

York Ninja
2 hours ago, been here before said:

Les Mottram at 1m 15s

i remember this one.  Ball goes in, defender picks up rebound in hands and gives it to goalie.  Ref waves play on.

Instead of admitting one of their own made a mistake, what do the sfa do?  get all the clubs to get rid of stauchions in their goals and get the nets held up by poles instead.

So a cock up by a ref leads to alteration of goals all across the country.

1 hour ago, Bauld said:

That one was shown on an Aussie sports programme under the heading “You only get a yellow card in Scotland for this!”

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Did the Shepherd not once get a straight red purely because the opposite player pretended to be hurt.

Both went up with high feet.

I'm thinking it was away to Aberdeen?

It was at home to St Johnstone. Both players go for the ball which is about shoulder height, Jose wins the ball which then hits the saints player in the puss, he rolls around and the ref couldn’t get his card out quick enough. Back in the Vlad days when we got cards for pretty much everything.

That comes fourth in my top five worst decisions along with Andy Davies, son of Dallas, Zal red for being headbutted and probably Sam Nicholson’s near decapitation. Although Dougie MacDonald could have five on his own. 

Did our manager during these events, ever get a phone call from the ref to apologies for making a mistake? Or is that only reserved for the Old Firm.

Der Kaiser
50 minutes ago, Zico said:

It was at home to St Johnstone. Both players go for the ball which is about shoulder height, Jose wins the ball which then hits the saints player in the puss, he rolls around and the ref couldn’t get his card out quick enough. Back in the Vlad days when we got cards for pretty much everything.

That comes fourth in my top five worst decisions along with Andy Davies, son of Dallas, Zal red for being headbutted and probably Sam Nicholson’s near decapitation. Although Dougie MacDonald could have five on his own. 

Laryea Kingston was the straight red against Aberdeen. That's the one I was thinking of.

SectionDJambo
4 hours ago, Bozi said:

Brines

Explains everything.

A policeman who proved himself to be dishonest.

Jambo in Japan

Funnily enough, 12 years to the day since -that- 3-0 loss vs Celtic. I remember a real nasty atmosphere and things started to turn sour when Craig Thomson sent off Obua after about 30 mins. Can't find a clip of it but seem to remember it was soft as hell. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/9480348.stm

Less than a year later, in the same fixture, Stephen Elliott puts the ball over the line. Officials don't give the goal, Celtic go up the other end and score. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/16828801

Yeah, I hate Celtic.

SectionDJambo
10 hours ago, liam11 said:

Willie Collum has done us a few times v Celtic with mental decisions. Gave Celtic a penalty for handball while already 5-0 up at Tynecastle vs a Hearts team full of kids. Ball was blootered from point blank range against Danny Wilson’s arm which was by his side. Then of course the Guidetti dive, despicable at worst, incompetent at best.

That penalty given when Celtic were already 5-0 up was a disgrace. Collum just couldn't help himself.

I think back to the 2nd yellow, then red, that Robert Tomaschek got at Tannadice. Problem, for referee, was that Robert wasn't on a 1st yellow.

Hearts kicked up a fuss and the media then got involved. Lying referee said that he drew the yellow out by mistake and meant to show a straight red. He clearly showed both, in turn. Wasn't even much of a foul, certainly not a straight red by any stretch of the imagination.

We_are_the_Hearts

Not to forget Collum sending Ozturk off in a friendly against Everton when the ball hit his chest

frankblack
19 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

That penalty given when Celtic were already 5-0 up was a disgrace. Collum just couldn't help himself.

I think back to the 2nd yellow, then red, that Robert Tomaschek got at Tannadice. Problem, for referee, was that Robert wasn't on a 1st yellow.

Hearts kicked up a fuss and the media then got involved. Lying referee said that he drew the yellow out by mistake and meant to show a straight red. He clearly showed both, in turn. Wasn't even much of a foul, certainly not a straight red by any stretch of the imagination.

There was one game where we had the ball yards over the line vs the Mhanks and he waved play on and they went straight up and scored.