People who followed both Hearts and Hibs

New Town Loafer

New Town Loafer

Does anyone have any anecdotes about people who went to watch both teams, typically whoever was playing at home that week?

I was chatting with an elderly gentleman who assured me it wasn’t uncommon at some point, but it took me aback.

I would suggest those days are long gone. Seems the enmity between the two clubs is at its zenith. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• PortyBeach

• Hmfc1965

• The Treasurer

My Granddad and one of his brothers used to do it for a spell (no idea of when but probably late 40s into the 50s).  His brother was Hibs. He was Hearts. They just liked going out on a Saturday for a few beer and a game. 

Guess when there's a lot less entertainment options you just roll with whatever is going. 

I did when I was a wee laddie living in Abbeyhill. My dad started taking me to Tynecastle in 1963 but if Hibs were at home me and my pals would go to Easter road. Quite often you could find someone to lift you over the turnstiles but if not they opened the gates about 10 mins into the second half. A bit later on when I was in my teens I would go to Easter road for a big cup tie or European match. Hearts are and were always first but I would cheer Hibs goals in Europe because they were the Scottish team. In those days the hatred wasn't what it is today, unless it was a derby, then it was every bit as bad.

My Grandad did as well, this was Pre 1970, Him and his drinking buddies would go to the closest sporting event. Dog racing at wallyford, Horses at Mussleburgh or whatever team was playing at home in Edinburgh. The closer they were to home the more cash they had for gambling and drinking as from what i remember his first love was the bookies. 

It did happen though, probably due to the fact that money was tighter in certain areas and as BlueRiver said a lot less options for entertainment

Bungalow Bill

My uncle was a Hobo but he also supported Hearts. I took him to Tynecastle every time he was over from Australia, would have to tell him to calm down at times at how excitable he got. Sadly no longer with us, a great guy. 

Carl Fredrickson

When I was a kid in the 70s my brother took me to whoever was at home - Hearts, Hibs and latterly Meadowbank. 

Hibs had a decent team in the 70s and I chose to follow Hearts due to my feeling sorry for them and I loved the centenary top. 

Once I chose Hearts I stopped going to Hibs games. For many years I still would go to watch Meadowbank, up until they moved. 

TBH when I was younger I would gladly go to watch any football games. Changed days now. 

New Town Loafer
6 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I did when I was a wee laddie living in Abbeyhill. My dad started taking me to Tynecastle in 1963 but if Hibs were at home me and my pals would go to Easter road. Quite often you could find someone to lift you over the turnstiles but if not they opened the gates about 10 mins into the second half. A bit later on when I was in my teens I would go to Easter road for a big cup tie or European match. Hearts are and were always first but I would cheer Hibs goals in Europe because they were the Scottish team. In those days the hatred wasn't what it is today, unless it was a derby, then it was every bit as bad.

What changed? Gang activity? The takeover bid? Keyboard warriors spreading hate?

3 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

What changed? Gang activity? The takeover bid? Keyboard warriors spreading hate?

Probably all of these. 

Percival King

Never followed Hibs but when I was wee, my dad, my brother (still a Hibs season ticket holder) and me would go to games at Tynecastle and Easter Road. Went to loads of games down there in the 70s and quite a few of their European nights and, with the old high terracing, it was good. As with a lot of things, the innocence of childhood meant that I didn't dislike or hate Hibs then. I'm now older, jaded and bitter, and whilst I don’t like Hibs and their fans and would never sit amongst them, I don't hate them, which I know plenty of folk on here can't understand and would question my Hearts credentials. There's s lot, lot more to dislike about the uglies than there is about the wee team.

New Town Loafer
3 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Never followed Hibs but when I was wee, my dad, my brother (still a Hibs season ticket holder) and me would go to games at Tynecastle and Easter Road. Went to loads of games down there in the 70s and quite a few of their European nights and, with the old high terracing, it was good. As with a lot of things, the innocence of childhood meant that I didn't dislike or hate Hibs then. I'm now older, jaded and bitter, and whilst I don’t like Hibs and their fans and would never sit amongst them, I don't hate them, which I know plenty of folk on here can't understand and would question my Hearts credentials. There's s lot, lot more to dislike about the uglies than there is about the wee team.

I completely agree with that, actually. I’ve always disliked Rangers the most but also dislike Celtic more than Hibs tbh.

Edited by New Town Loafer

7 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Probably all of these. 

I could just be speculating but I would imagine the stopping of being able to lift kids over the turnstiles or find a way in for free and then the increase in prices pretty much killed any chance of ever going to two different teams games. 

2 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

I completely agree with that, actually. I’ve always disliked Rangers the most but also dislike Celtic more than Hibs tbh.

I'm the same but swap Celtic and Rangers there. 

There's some spells where I even find myself hating Aberdeen more than Hibs 🤣

Go for it 1308

When I was 13...me and my best mate would go to tynie  one week, then the next again week go to see hibs. We always went to the Dunbar end to hopefully watch them get beat🙂

Pasquale for King

It was common back before hooliganism took hold in the 70s, when young men started going to games without their fathers. 
My old man took me to ER to watch them play a few European games, Leeds and Liverpool mainly. The only guys I know who watched both regularly are Hibs fans though, when It was much cheaper to do so. 

My dad used to go to Hearts and Hibs games with Joe Sidonio in the 1950s. Joe was a hibby and my dad was a jambo. They were classmates at primary school.

Joe Sidonio was Jim Jefferies father in law.  JJ  has a "mixed" marriage.

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Segregation due to football hooliganism played its part.

I'm 60 years old and believe it or not I went to Derby games on my own from age 9. Then you could walk from behind one goal round to the other.

For me the hatred really started from around 1978. Over the years has increased due to the Mercer takeover,

I think Hibs supporters haven't helped themselves by denying the part Hearts supporters and players played in their Hands of Hibs campaign.

Social media hasn't helped in the slightest. Many Hibs supporters aged 50 and under feel a real bitterness, as they have never witnessed a sustained period of Hibs superiority over Hearts in their lifetime. Where I endured the late 60s and almost the entire 70s of Hearts beating Hibs only twice. I didn't hate Hibs, it just enforced my love of Hearts more. I still don't hate Hibs, every game I want us to beat them. Whether children's games the women's game, whatever game if its Hearts against Hibs, I want us to win.

PS. I dislike the Glasgow two far far more than I dislike Hibs.

Edited by John Findlay

7 minutes ago, 151 said:

I could just be speculating but I would imagine the stopping of being able to lift kids over the turnstiles or find a way in for free and then the increase in prices pretty much killed any chance of ever going to two different teams games. 

That's a fair point.

SectionDJambo

We need to remember that men having to work on a Saturday morning was fairly common for some time after the war. They'd finish work and head off to the match in town, no matter who was at home. Doesn't mean that they all cheered on the Edinburgh team they didn't support though.

Football was cheap to attend and travel to away grounds wasn't as convenient as it is now.

I lived near ER growing up and had loads of Hibs mates. I went to 2/3 of their games a season and a couple of them came to ours. 

A few notable games I was at: 

Hibs 1 Arbroath 2, 1976/77

Hibs 2 Partick 1, 1979/80 (Best's debut)

Meadowbank 0 Hibs 1, 1979/80 (@Tynecastle)

Hibs 1 Rangers 2, 1981/82 (John McDonald's dive).

A few I was accompanied by Hibs fans:

Hearts 1 Airdrie 0, 1979/80 (title decider)

Hearts 1 Aberdeen 0, 1981/82 (LC tie)

Hearts 0 Motherwell 1, 1981/82 (promotion failure and riot, which prompted the Hibby I was with to switch allegiance as he loved it. I still bump into him at Tynecastle every now and then).

There was little animosity between young fans in the late 70's and early 80's as there were no league or Cup derbies for 4½ years.

Reciprocal attendance stopped dead when Hearts were promoted in 1983.

I liked near Meadowbank in 1979/80 and went to a few of their games when Hearts were away. They let kids in for free at HT.

Edited by martoon

4 minutes ago, martoon said:

I lived near ER growing up and had loads of Hibs mates. I went to 2/3 of their games a season and a couple of them came to ours. 

Hearts 0 Motherwell 1, 1981/82 (promotion failure and riot, which prompted the Hibby I was with to switch allegiance as he loved it. I still bump into him at Tynecastle every now and then).

There was little animosity between young fans in the late 70's and early 80's as there were no league or Cup derbies for 4½ years.

Was it not 77 when there was a lot of trouble leading to the fences going up?

And the early 80s was the infamous Tom Hart trophy game.

18 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm 60 years old and believe it or not I went to Derby games on my own from age 9. Then you could walk from behind one goal round to the other.

For me the hatred really started from around 1978. Over the years has increased due to the Mercer takeover,

I think Hibs supporters haven't helped themselves by denying the part Hearts supporters and players played in their Hands of Hibs campaign.

Social media hasn't helped in the slightest. Many Hibs supporters aged 50 and under feel a real bitterness, as they have never witnessed a sustained period of Hibs superiority over Hearts in their lifetime. Where I endured the late 60s and almost the entire 70s of Hearts beating Hibs only twice. I didn't hate Hibs, it just enforced my love of Hearts more. I still don't hate Hibs, every game I want us to beat them. Whether children's games the women's game, whatever game if its Hearts against Hibs, I want us to win.

On the other hand I always think the role of Hearts fans was overplayed.

I wasn't in favour but didn't actively do anything about it.

I was in a definite minority in my group though.

Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

Was it not 77 when there was a lot of trouble leading to the fences going up?

And the early 80s was the infamous Tom Hart trophy game.

1978/79 for the fences and segregation and there was a lot of trouble at the EoSS and Tom Hart games at ER in the early 80's. I was at both.

But, between Hearts and Hibs fans I knew there was no great animosity.

That came later. I cannot stand the emailing feckers now.

:clubbed:

13 minutes ago, martoon said:

lived near Meadowbank in 1979/80 and went to a few of their games when Hearts were away. They let kids in for free at HT.

😊 

Clivehunter81

I'd rather someone did this instead of following one of the old firm.

Well unless they are from Glasgow or something as then it's ok to follow old firm 

My Dad never did that or my Granddad.  My Dad followed Hearts home and away in the 50s.  

I was brought up with the stories of “one week Tynecastle, one week Easter Road” but it wasn’t for everyone. 

He would, however , go to derbies together with my Hibs supporting Uncle.  

Most of my uncles were Hibs fans so me and the other cousins got taken to ER.

When we actually got interested in football and we were old enough the cousins used to alternate between ER and Tynecastle.

Did that for a few years, late 60’s. my old man, who was a Rangers man took me to a night game vs Rangers at Tynecastle. Hearts won and it’s the first time I remember being really invested in the result.

Next week I joined Danderhall Hearts and rarely missed a game for 10 years.

Gordon Rae was a member of that club and I used to sit with him in the bus. we were in the same class. Little did I know I was sitting beside a future Hibs captain.

My grandad, who fought in WW2 in the far east supported Hibs but his favourite player was Gordon Smith.  When Gordon Smith signed for Hearts he went to Tynecastle when Hibs were away.

Lost him in the 70s sadly but it was different times then.

The Pink News had a cartoon where of the 2 characters one was a Hearts fan and the other was Hibs. They went to games together, Tynecastle one week ER the other. Me, as a boy went to watch Hearts Reserves when the first team were away until I graduated to travelling to watch them on the Manor branch supporters club bus.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
8 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

My Dad never did that or my Granddad.  My Dad followed Hearts home and away in the 50s.  

I was brought up with the stories of “one week Tynecastle, one week Easter Road” but it wasn’t for everyone. 

He would, however , go to derbies together with my Hibs supporting Uncle.  

There used to be a cartoon in the Pink (it was the Evening News Saturday sports edition, for youse young yins), that was based on two supporters, one Hibs one Hearts. Each week they'd be at the home game and the content was usually related to current football things.  Any au yins mind their names? I think one was Wee Eck but I could be wrong.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
3 minutes ago, Papa said:

The Pink News had a cartoon where of the 2 characters one was a Hearts fan and the other was Hibs. They went to games together, Tynecastle one week ER the other. Me, as a boy went to watch Hearts Reserves when the first team were away until I graduated to travelling to watch them on the Manor branch supporters club bus.

You just beat me to it!

23 minutes ago, martoon said:

1978/79 for the fences and segregation and there was a lot of trouble at the EoSS and Tom Hart games at ER in the early 80's. I was at both.

But, between Hearts and Hibs fans I knew there was no great animosity.

That came later. I cannot stand the emailing feckers now.

:clubbed:

No me neither.

I'm from East Edinburgh so certainly day to day there was no real animosity.

50 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Good post apart from the last sentence, I personally hate them all equally with a passion.

47 minutes ago, martoon said:

I liked near Meadowbank in 1979/80 and went to a few of their games when Hearts were away. They let kids in for free at HT.

I didn't realise it was still a thing that late on. 

Thought it had died out by the 60s. 

davemclaren
23 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Most of my uncles were Hibs fans so me and the other cousins got taken to ER.

When we actually got interested in football and we were old enough the cousins used to alternate between ER and Tynecastle.

Did that for a few years, late 60’s. my old man, who was a Rangers man took me to a night game vs Rangers at Tynecastle. Hearts won and it’s the first time I remember being really invested in the result.

Next week I joined Danderhall Hearts and rarely missed a game for 10 years.

Gordon Rae was a member of that club and I used to sit with him in the bus. we were in the same class. Little did I know I was sitting beside a future Hibs captain.

Eric Stevenson stayed in the same street as Gordon Rae and I when we were growing up.  He used to get comps for the kids in the street but I never took him up on the offer to go and watch Hibs.  

Stupid Sexy Flanders

My grandad is from the generation that did this, think he had one Hearts uncle and one Hibs uncle and they'd take him to games week about. 

Luckily for me, there was no doubt in his mind where his loyalty lay. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 hour ago, 151 said:

I think you're right, add in the fact you've got an allocated seat and that now, whereas in the old days, you could rock up to the turnstile, pay the equivalent of a fiver or whatever and then both just go and stand wherever you want. 

Colquhoun76

My dad,who sadly passed a few months ago was a Hearts fan,first and foremost,went to his first Hearts game in the late 1940's. He grew up in Wilkieston,and would go with his pals to Tynecastle one week then,with his Hibs pal would go to Easter Road...later on when he  had done his national service in the RAF, where he actually served alongside a Hibs player,from or near Wilkieston. He would come back from matches and this Hibs player was usually on the bus too,the days before team buses etc,I can't remember the players name,apart from his first name might of been Jimmy,but not too sure....

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Hibs 2 Real Madrid 0 was my first ever visit to Easter Road. Puskas and Gento outshone by Hibs players that night.  Peter Cormack, Jim Scott, Stanton and Willie Hamilton.  They were good that season. 

11 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

Remember changing ends at half time.

Yep, and at the same time looking for empties to take them back and get money for them. Wonder if that’s where the Greens got their DRS idea from? 

I did most my mates supported hibs would go to Tynie one week then Easter road next until I was old enough to travel away Tynecastle was by far better. Then was old enough to travel away the rest is history

50 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

No me neither.

I'm from East Edinburgh so certainly day to day there was no real animosity.

Aye, me too.

I'm an Abbeyhillbilly then, in my secondary school days, Leith Academy.

Just now, martoon said:

Aye, me too.

I'm an Abbeyhillbilly then, in my secondary school days, Leith Academy.

Portobello for me.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Andrew Gilbert Wauchope said:

There used to be a cartoon in the Pink (it was the Evening News Saturday sports edition, for youse young yins), that was based on two supporters, one Hibs one Hearts. Each week they'd be at the home game and the content was usually related to current football things.  Any au yins mind their names? I think one was Wee Eck but I could be wrong.

My brain is coming up with Boab and Eck as the 2 characters in the cartoon strip. Can’t remember who the „Herts“ man was.

merseyjambo

My dad, his brother and their mates used to do that in the 50s/60s.

Someone dad used to work with used do it with his best mate. Bloke my dad worked with was a Hibs supporter and his mate was a Hearts supporter. They had Season Tickets for both grounds until a couple of years ago when one of them died.

23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Hibs 2 Real Madrid 0 was my first ever visit to Easter Road. Puskas and Gento outshone by Hibs players that night.  Peter Cormack, Jim Scott, Stanton and Willie Hamilton.  They were good that season. 

Always find it odd when Hibs fans find our 64/65 title loss amusing. They blew it, too. They were in the thick of the title race with 4 games left then fell apart.

8 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

My brain is coming up with Boab and Eck as the 2 characters in the cartoon strip. Can’t remember who the „Herts“ man was.

iirc Big Boab was the Hibs man and The wee fat guy Eck was the 'Herts' man. 

My Dad used to go and watch Hibs if he couldn't get to our away game. 

I sometimes went along to ER if Hearts weren't playing as usually the Hibs fans in our group of pals would be going and it was better than nothing. 

Sometimes the reserves would be playing at Tynecastle on the same day as the first team were away so there was that as an option. 

The last Hibs game I recall attending was a midweek LC tie against Celtic. Hearts were at Aberdeen so I went along to ER expecting them to get horsed. I left early as Hibs put Celtic out the cup. 😕

24 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

My dad, his brother and their mates used to do that in the 50s/60s.

Someone dad used to work with used do it with his best mate. Bloke my dad worked with was a Hibs supporter and his mate was a Hearts supporter. They had Season Tickets for both grounds until a couple of years ago when one of them died.

My Dad accompanied his Hibs supporting mate to their cup final v Clyde in 1958.  The only JT on the bus. 

He won the first goalscorer in the sweep but they didn’t give him the winnings because it was an OG that won it for Clyde.  They were even bitter then 😂