Suitable managers

Sertse

13 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

I'd much rather take a chance on someone like Kennedy than employ any of the Neilson/Martindale/Robinson types.

there’s no chance we’d be going for those types anyway. Kennedy can ram it. If we’re going to take a gamble on a rookie it should be on Naismith and Naismith only

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Kennedy is on paper is actually an objectively better shout than Naismith 

Unlike Naismith, he has served a proper coaching apprenticeship. 12-13 years he has been 1st team coaching, title winning squads under good technical managers Deila, Rodgers, and Postecoglu. Yes and Lennon. But growing into coaching, it’s about learning. He has learned from all those managers successes and failures.  Steve Clarke had similar. Michael Beale similar. 

No much of a footballing career though. 

:greggy:

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, Chimp said:

there’s no chance we’d be going for those types anyway. Kennedy can ram it. If we’re going to take a gamble on a rookie it should be on Naismith and Naismith only

Agreed. 

18 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I know he is,but he was seen as a stop gap for newcastle ,he's proved he's more than that.

I know it would be a bitter pill for a lot to swallow,if Stendel came back ,as it would prove i was right all along, and Ann and others got it massively wrong.

Mate DS has gone and isn’t coming back no matter how much you preach on here. He’s currently coaching Hannovers B team and if he was any good he’d be in a different league in a different country (possibly).  Statically he made us worse than CL and that’s saying something. Yea the team were very unfit but he should’ve recognised this as he saw them every day in training. That being the case why did he try and play a system we couldn’t play? The same reason Neilson was sacked. 

Whoever gets the job I’ll be right behind them just like I was with Daniel and Robbie but as for Daniel, it’s time to let it go and give it a rest. Other than his passion and the fact he made us worse, he won’t be remembered for anything other than that and a win over sevco and the wee team. Move on! 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Cruyff said:

No much of a footballing career though. 

:greggy:

Just like some of the best managers football has seen

Playing career gets vastly vastly overstated when it comes to coaching. I rate coaching experience way above playing experience. Steven Gerrard vs Michael Beale is a good example. Beale is the real deal of a coach and had been coaching for 20 odd years before his first management gig. Gerrard on the other hand got found out as an imposter quickly without Beale. Then go back and compare their 2 playing careers… :lol: 

21 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Mate DS has gone and isn’t coming back no matter how much you preach on here. He’s currently coaching Hannovers B team and if he was any good he’d be in a different league in a different country (possibly).  Statically he made us worse than CL and that’s saying something. Yea the team were very unfit but he should’ve recognised this as he saw them every day in training. That being the case why did he try and play a system we couldn’t play? The same reason Neilson was sacked. 

Whoever gets the job I’ll be right behind them just like I was with Daniel and Robbie but as for Daniel, it’s time to let it go and give it a rest. Other than his passion and the fact he made us worse, he won’t be remembered for anything other than that and a win over sevco and the wee team. Move on! 

2 wins over sevco

Dennis Denuto
49 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Unlike Naismith, he has served a proper coaching apprenticeship. 12-13 years he has been 1st team coaching, title winning squads under good technical managers Deila, Rodgers, and Postecoglu. Yes and Lennon. But growing into coaching, it’s about learning. He has learned from all those managers successes and failures.  Steve Clarke had similar. Michael Beale similar. 

All that time Naismith was working with top coaches and top players having a career.  Kennedy knows Celtic, that is it, take him out of that comfort blanket arena and who knows what he'll be like.

Naismith is the man for me.

48 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

That's some length of apprenticeship! That's about a ⅓d of a working life. Surely if he was any good then he would've been snapped up long ago? How come it's Naismith attached to the Scotland squad alongside Clarke rather than Kennedy?

Would rather we gave it to Naismith than paid a 6 figure compensation fee for a coach with no managerial experience. 

42 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Correct. There is more chance of Levein or Neilson coming back for a third spell than Stendel ever coming back. The fella needs to let it go every bit as much as the lad who's infatuated with Bob. 

john thomas
1 hour ago, Paris 84 said:

Football fan moans whilst leaving ground after derby defeat. What a shocker!!

No . Football fan decides on managers ability after one game .

Not a shocker

gorgierulesapply88

Russell Martin to take over Southampton at the end of the season.

A player, who didn't set the world alight. 

Here's his mangerial record.

Don't think i've wanted a manager to get the job as much as this since we appointed Malofeev!

image.png.3d206822233c059e73cedf9ecff62e3f.png

wentworth jambo
4 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

That celticy barsteward would need power washed at Harthill to remove the stench of the great unwashed🤨

never that keen on celticy things coming to hearts🤢

John Colquhoun - the exception to that rule 😉

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Not a shocker

Unfortunately it's not.

Some gumball even started a thread - "Naismith oot" after 1 game. 

Scott Leitch

Stendel 😆

Nice guy and treated like shit by Budge but done nothing to suggest we should want him back. 

Should start a poll. Who is more obsessed with shite ex managers. Bongo or wee Tosh. 

22 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Not a shocker

Fair point when put like that. 😂

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Kinda see what you're saying but you could look at it the other way.  Kennedy having spent that time could be a number 2, a career number 2.  Hasn't stepped up yet.  Is he simply a good coach?

Naisy, still fresh, full of ideas and spunk!

I think there's something to be said about the energy of a guy like Naisy, who I've no doubt has massive ambition and this first job will get every ounce.  We're his first album... often the best... Definitely Maybe, Unknown Pleasures, Up The Bracket, you know.... Kennedy is Fergal Sharkey's solo stuff...

A_A wehatethehibs
53 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

That's some length of apprenticeship! That's about a ⅓d of a working life. Surely if he was any good then he would've been snapped up long ago? How come it's Naismith attached to the Scotland squad alongside Clarke rather than Kennedy?

Probably due to their existing relationship from when Clarke took the Scotland job? Working with Clarke is exactly what Naismith needs to be doing. For several years. 

He has had a half-decent wee honeymoon caretaker bounce. But over the full length of a season, as the #1, I have doubts about his length and depth of his coaching and tactical experience. I feel he will get found out and his naive approach nullified. He has already been nullified by 2 experienced managers Lee Johnson and Robinson who both played pretty bog standard approaches. For me the concern is he just has not picked up enough tricks of the trade because that just comes with time. 

55 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

All that time Naismith was working with top coaches and top players having a career.  Kennedy knows Celtic, that is it, take him out of that comfort blanket arena and who knows what he'll be like.

Naismith is the man for me.

He was not working with them in a coaching capacity. He was a player. He had his individual job to do as a player, and did not have to worry about how the whole team and squad was set up, the day to day operations of coaching an entire group of pros.

Coaching is a completely different ball game to playing. As of right now, Naismith is very junior as a coach. He’s right at the beginning of his coaching career and still has a huge amount to learn. Working with Clarke is a really good place to start. But the likes of Kennedy has already done that about a decade ago. 

Remove the Celtic aspect from the equation. You are talking about the first team coach of I think 11 title winning squads. Of those title winning squads I personally didn’t see many players who looked out of shape, mentally slack, or poorly coached. Maybe 1 or 2 games from the 40 or 50 losses we’ve had against them in that time. They’re razor sharp every time we play them. They maintain relentlessly high performance levels in the league. Celtic by and large are very well coached. And that’s shown not just in the winning runs they regularly go on but also by the football they play and the players they’ve brought in, developed, and sold on. Naismith has not seen or done anything like that. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda see what you're saying but you could look at it the other way.  Kennedy having spent that time could be a number 2, a career number 2.  Hasn't stepped up yet.  Is he simply a good coach?

I think there's something to be said about the energy of a guy like Naisy, who I've no doubt has massive ambition and this first job will get every ounce.  We're his first album... often the best... Definitely Maybe, Unknown Pleasures, Up The Bracket, you know.... Kennedy is Fergal Sharkey's solo stuff...

Is enthusiasm and graft enough in the modern day technical world tho would you say? It’s the technical tactical aspect. That’s where I have some reservations about his readiness for it. 

Jim Panzee
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

image.jpeg.131113065787d011e7a1edc84634860a.jpeg

if that's your suggestion, we should consider Ron Jeremy for the job! :)

gorgierulesapply88
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Probably due to their existing relationship from when Clarke took the Scotland job? Working with Clarke is exactly what Naismith needs to be doing. For several years. 

He has had a half-decent wee honeymoon caretaker bounce. But over the full length of a season, as the #1, I have doubts about his length and depth of his coaching and tactical experience. I feel he will get found out and his naive approach nullified. He has already been nullified by 2 experienced managers Lee Johnson and Robinson who both played pretty bog standard approaches. For me the concern is he just has not picked up enough tricks of the trade because that just comes with time. 

He was not working with them in a coaching capacity. He was a player. He had his individual job to do as a player, and did not have to worry about how the whole team and squad was set up, the day to day operations of coaching an entire group of pros.

Coaching is a completely different ball game to playing. As of right now, Naismith is very junior as a coach. He’s right at the beginning of his coaching career and still has a huge amount to learn. Working with Clarke is a really good place to start. But the likes of Kennedy has already done that about a decade ago. 

Remove the Celtic aspect from the equation. You are talking about the first team coach of I think 11 title winning squads. Of those title winning squads I personally didn’t see many players who looked out of shape, mentally slack, or poorly coached. Maybe 1 or 2 games from the 40 or 50 losses we’ve had against them in that time. They’re razor sharp every time we play them. They maintain relentlessly high performance levels in the league. Celtic by and large are very well coached. And that’s shown not just in the winning runs they regularly go on but also by the football they play and the players they’ve brought in, developed, and sold on. Naismith has not seen or done anything like that. 

You mention tactical experience, he played under arguably one of the best 'coaches' in world football in Martinez & Moyes(whom loves/loved having his players doing 4x4 sprints and running demanding a fit squad etc. He is pro-active in his substitutions and seems to be more hands on that Neilson was with instructions on the park and getting that extra yard out a player. He, showed ambition after Rangers and went on to play at the top level for a long time. 

I genuinely think Naismith is the missing piece to the puzzle, and given a couple of his own signings we could step-up to that next level we all harp on about.

I like Naismith and how he has got everyone forward thinking! We are playing some very good football, but despite what others think, we had games under Neilson when it was terrific and scored some of the best team goals we have scored in many a season. Just not as many as we should.

I have no idea if Kennedy would become a good manager or not but he is a highly regarded coach. 

One thing that hasn't changed since Naismith stepped up is our pre match warm up. I watch Celtic and Rangers during their warm-ups and they have a different approach where there is a much less rigid roundel type of warm-up where players pass and move to new positions to take the pass and pass to keep the movement going. Our roundel is a very fixed routine whereas both of the Glasgow clubs are more 'match' appropriate, if that makes sense.

For that reason, it may be that having someone like Kennedy with Naismith as assistant could inject a few new ideas and training habits as well as impart the never say die Celtic attitude. Celtic are so dominant because it is ingrained into them every day, in their training and ergo into the match.

Would this never say die attitude then translate into a different system or approach for away games? Maybe! Maybe not!

There is always a risk in bringing a new manager into the club as the culture of the club has to marry with their ideas and ambitions or it becomes fragile and fragmented. Promoting within is all well and good but there is the other danger of nothing really changing. Sometimes a new face is a good thing.

Whoever takes over will get my full support!

Dennis Denuto
7 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

John Kennedy has put out cones for one club, the same club he played for, their success is nothing to do with him.

All that time Naismith was winning cups and titles as well as playing in Europe and over 50 caps.  Loads of coaches and mangers at several clubs and in the EPL.  Do you think he did that with his eyes closed?

Naismith has shown me he can get a tune out of these players, that's all we needed.

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Is enthusiasm and graft enough in the modern day technical world tho would you say? It’s the technical tactical aspect. That’s where I have some reservations about his readiness for it. 

Totally get that.  But there's guys in the job many years who still don't have that!  And there are guys new in the management game have it naturally or have throughout their careers enjoyed that side of things and simply know their onions.  Not saying Naisy has that in the locker, but also wouldn't surprise me if he did.  He's a clever and driven bloke.

1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

2 wins over sevco

Yeh forgot about the cup game. Credit where it’s due of course and kudos to him. For the record, I wish it had worked out for him and I actually thought he got a raw deal and was treated despicably at the end, especially refusing a wage during Covid. But there’s no use crying over loved ones who’ve taken flight. They’re gone and we move on from the last two managers in a little over 3 years.

Get a new manager in who brings us success and they’ll hardly be remembered except by the usual suspects. 

Naisys Tackle
45 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Stendel 😆

Nice guy and treated like shit by Budge but done nothing to suggest we should want him back. 

Should start a poll. Who is more obsessed with shite ex managers. Bongo or wee Tosh. 

Bongo by miles and that's saying something :lol: :lol: 

A_A wehatethehibs
18 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

You mention tactical experience, he played under arguably one of the best 'coaches' in world football in Martinez & Moyes(whom loves/loved having his players doing 4x4 sprints and running demanding a fit squad etc. He is pro-active in his substitutions and seems to be more hands on that Neilson was with instructions on the park and getting that extra yard out a player. He, showed ambition after Rangers and went on to play at the top level for a long time. 

I genuinely think Naismith is the missing piece to the puzzle, and given a couple of his own signings we could step-up to that next level we all harp on about.

I did already cover the “playing career” aspect in the post you replied to. I just don’t see playing under manager A or manager B being quite as relevant as coaching experience, working with managers as a coach. Managers sit down and talk with their coaching staff on a daily basis when making preparations for games, assessing players, assessing their options, assessing the opposition. That’s the managers job - decision making. The coaches job is to have those conversations and give the manager the information he needs.  Kennedys been in that room with these managers he’s worked with, 3 of whom are very technical modern managers. Naismith on the other hand was a player. He had his individual job to do as part of the playing setup. He was not involved in the decision making. It’s a fundamental difference of coaching experience vs playing experience.

Naismith does have terrific playing experience, he gets our club and knows what we fans want to see. I’m not slating him by any means. I just have doubts over a full season he may not have built up enough tricks of the trade. 

A_A wehatethehibs
44 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

John Kennedy has put out cones for one club, the same club he played for, their success is nothing to do with him.

All that time Naismith was winning cups and titles as well as playing in Europe and over 50 caps.  Loads of coaches and mangers at several clubs and in the EPL.  Do you think he did that with his eyes closed?

Naismith has shown me he can get a tune out of these players, that's all we needed.

I think I’ve made my point about the difference between coaching experience and playing experience. The 2 managers at the old firm have zero top tier professional playing experience. That tells you something about the way it’s going. 

Playing experience is not entirely relevant to the job of coaching & managing. As the management careers of Keane, Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard shows. Or in Scottish / Hearts terms, McCoist, Pressley, Hartley, Levein. Great players… great managers? No

Btw none of the above is slating Naismith in any way. Just I think valid concerns about depth of his experience 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

43 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The only cups and titles Naismith has won at top league level was during a three years stint with Rangers when they were far and away the best team in the country.  Other than that it’s been a barren trophy career unless you count his championship win with us.  Not sure he learned much that season. 

54 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

image.jpeg.131113065787d011e7a1edc84634860a.jpeg

if that's your suggestion, we should consider Ron Jeremy for the job! :)

he's old and has dementia 

Agentjambo
1 hour ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Where's that came from lol

He’s leaving his Turkish club in the summer.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

I don't know where this Kennedy thing came from except the Record, but surely it's very bad timing and disrespectful of Naisy who is doing a great job ahead of the defining time in our season.

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Neilson is irrelevant. It is time now for folk to stop mentioning him now. It’s over. 

And as for Naismith, John Kennedy outranks him to the tune of over a decade of coaching experience working with some absolutely top class managers (yes, and Lennon). That really is a vast chasm.

Naismith is a junior apprentice in the world of coaching. He has not done any coaching work with any managers of note, and over time my concern is, that will tell. That is my main worry about him in the medium term. The honeymoon period is one thing, new manager bounce, getting players motivated, fighting and scrapping and he’s done that. But over a full season it is a different ball game. 

Neilson was a simple comparison, if you don't like that, your problem, some people need to realise that everyone can have an opinion!

If you want Kennedy, your problem too. Cathro has worked with some top people, would you have him back? Many have worked as coaches to great managers and failed to make the grade.

There is a "vast chasm"  from being a Celtic employee all your life with loads of dosh to going anywhere else and having to work with much tighter budgets.

Oh just just to be clear, I'd rather have Robbie Neilson back, yes I'll repeat Robbie Neilson, than take a Celtic No.2. That's Robbie Neilson, did I mention Robbie Neilson?

Outranks, and junior apprentice, that made me laugh.

P.s. Robbie Neilson!

merseyjambo
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I get where you are coming from about his apprenticeship.

My concern about the Kennedy is why has he not taken one of the opportunities to step up to be a number one. 12 years is a long time to be a number 2. He’s been linked with various jobs including the other side of town and the mutton molesters yet he’s not left Celtic. Is he waiting for the perfect job, the number one spot at Celtic or is he sh1t scared to be his own man. 

merseyjambo
2 hours ago, Naisys Tackle said:

Bongo by miles and that's saying something :lol: :lol: 

Nah I’m saying Tosh, he was obsessed with both CL and RN. Bongo is only obsessed by one manager 😆😆😆

Captain Scarlett
7 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I get where you are coming from about his apprenticeship.

My concern about the Kennedy is why has he not taken one of the opportunities to step up to be a number one. 12 years is a long time to be a number 2. He’s been linked with various jobs including the other side of town and the mutton molesters yet he’s not left Celtic. Is he waiting for the perfect job, the number one spot at Celtic or is he sh1t scared to be his own man. 

He’s another Archie Knox a perfect No2 🤔

Bongo 1874
7 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Nah I’m saying Tosh, he was obsessed with both CL and RN. Bongo is only obsessed by one manager 😆😆😆

Tbf I've given four other choices Knutsen would be my first choice,but don't know what funds are at club or if we could afford him.

I would take Stendel back for a second time as I think he would be a success with current squad and improve it further, If he did come back I would want Naismith to be his assistant.

Very interested in that rakow manager seems a bit of a unknown, but certainly plays a very attractive style of play.

Failing any of them I would give it to Naisy.

More than happy for Naismith too get it.

Polonia Gorgie

I think we should sack Naismith and make Locke intern manager until the end of the season. His record against them is impeccable 

Bad Religion

Not to take anything away from Steven Naismith but it’s £15M the fans have put into the club since administration and they can’t even provide us with a competent football manager. 

It’s beyond scandalous. 

Edited by Bad Religion

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, sac said:

I feel like having a shite in a crisp packet after that game tonight 

How does that even work?

Watt-Zeefuik
9 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

That didn't used to be true but TBF he hasn't driveled on about Knutsen in a while.