Suitable managers

Sertse

4 hours ago, By The Light.. said:

yep, might not renew if he's still here

I will renew what ever . I would like Neilson removed right now with out delay , but if it was for Lennon then that is probably one of about ten people I would not swap him for , and most of the others are either dead or mythical beings , like Hitler , Stalin and Medusa 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Cruyff

No idea who the next guy could be, but I'm not looking forward to the Martindale, Stephen Robinson shouts. I'm sure someone will bring up Dwight Yorke because of what he said about taking Aberdeen to being an OF-breaking team.

There's no obvious candidate, which is a potential problem.

Butterbean1874
21 minutes ago, Arthur Morgan said:

Why not?

Steven Robinson has got that team giving 110% chasing lost causes all over the park more hungrier all over the park,were getting bullied wk in wk out of these teams were so easy to play against,get on the phone n get him to Tynie 

Watt-Zeefuik
On 06/04/2023 at 16:26, RustyRightPeg said:

An utterly insane opinion. 

Leicester are getting Jesse Marsch it looks like. You think he'd be too big for Hearts? Because I don't.

As long as they have no prior ties to Glasgow (the West coast), Hearts or Scottish football I will be happy.

Rick Sanchez

Not suggesting Robinson but I never not seen him today. He was always out shouting and encouraging. Neilson needed to converse with his stooges to try and change something, like it required methodical thinking.

RustyRightPeg
3 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Leicester are getting Jesse Marsch it looks like. You think he'd be too big for Hearts? Because I don't.

Yes I do, in all honesty. If he didn’t stay in the EPL he’d have no problem finding another job in europe. 

He’s a product of the Red Bull coaching academy. He’d do way better than us. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Yes I do, in all honesty. If he didn’t stay in the EPL he’d have no problem finding another job in europe. 

He’s a product of the Red Bull coaching academy. He’d do way better than us. 

He did well at Red Bull NY and in Salzburg. He was a near total bust at Leipzig and Leeds once he joined the big leagues. Desperation hire because he's the best they can get, and he won't save them from relegation.

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He did well at Red Bull NY and in Salzburg. He was a near total bust at Leipzig and Leeds once he joined the big leagues. Desperation hire because he's the best they can get, and he won't save them from relegation.

Right, and you think we could afford him, as well as convince him to come and be our manager?

Whats your logic behind that?

Jack Torrance

Mick McCarthy anyone? 😄

Nope? Could do a job?

Probably burnt those bridges with his transfer comments eh? 

:seething:

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Right, and you think we could afford him, as well as convince him to come and be our manager?

Whats your logic behind that?

I wouldn't want him TBH. Hearts need to attract someone who understand the appeal and potential of the club. That's not Marsch.

But yeah, someone with Marsch's resume who was looking for a place to re-start a career, and fit the above criteria, I think we could convince them to come and be our manager.

And again, if Leicester had fired Brenda 6 weeks ago, Marsch would have never gotten a sniff.

By The Light..
4 hours ago, Sooks said:

I will renew what ever . I would like Neilson removed right now with out delay , but if it was for Lennon then that is probably one of about ten people I would not swap him for , and most of the others are either dead or mythical beings , like Hitler , Stalin and Medusa 

haha brilliant!

I've been 20 years and not renewing is not a small decision at all.

Right now we (Heart of Midlothian) are utter shite and even when we scrape a win the entertainment value on the pitch is minimal.

Getting easily beat by St Mirren and Robbie clapping the fans takes the biscuit.

Robbie GTF 

**** it, bring back Stendel, we need an all out attack "we'll score more than you" mantra! We've got the players for that now, they just need a manager who believes in them and puts them in their preferred and most comfortable position.

If Neilson did get chucked, it'd likely be Naismith to the end of the season. I'd be onboard with that... can't handle anymore of Neilson's style or tactics, and I don't think the players can either.

2 hours ago, TommyC said:

No idea who the next guy could be, but I'm not looking forward to the Martindale, Stephen Robinson shouts. I'm sure someone will bring up Dwight Yorke because of what he said about taking Aberdeen to being an OF-breaking team.

There's no obvious candidate, which is a potential problem.

As we can see the issues Aberdeen and Dundee Utd have had in finding replacements for departing managers, it’s the same name’s regurgitating 

We will always encounter problems encouraging good coaches to come to a backwater league with no substantial transfer kitty to play in a 2 team league 

Edited by jbee647

Scott Leitch
1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Not suggesting Robinson but I never not seen him today. He was always out shouting and encouraging. Neilson needed to converse with his stooges to try and change something, like it required methodical thinking.

Aye what's that about. Gets in a wee huddle fiddling about on his tablet. ****ing goon. 

Why don't we just go all in and go for scott brown? In terms of idiotic comments I think I win. Unless someone votes for the king of pricks peter grant. 

Horatio Caine
On 07/04/2023 at 10:06, Hood09 said:

If budget allows Scott Parker, but would be happy with Martindale. His teams always fight for everything and as a hearts team that should be the minimum

Seriously??  Been a failure everywhere he's been.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 minutes ago, Mister T said:

Why don't we just go all in and go for scott brown? In terms of idiotic comments I think I win. Unless someone votes for the king of pricks peter grant. 

What’s Stokes up to these days?

3 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I wouldn't want him TBH. Hearts need to attract someone who understand the appeal and potential of the club. That's not Marsch.

But yeah, someone with Marsch's resume who was looking for a place to re-start a career, and fit the above criteria, I think we could convince them to come and be our manager.

And again, if Leicester had fired Brenda 6 weeks ago, Marsch would have never gotten a sniff.

You are really over estimating our standing in world football. 

Would Jesse Marsch take the hearts job? Obviously not. 

Could we afford him? Obviously not. 

The fact he's just got another premier league job shows this. 

We will not be offering more than £5k-£7k per week for a manager. 

Watt-Zeefuik
14 minutes ago, Ari Gold said:

You are really over estimating our standing in world football. 

Would Jesse Marsch take the hearts job? Obviously not. 

Could we afford him? Obviously not. 

The fact he's just got another premier league job shows this. 

We will not be offering more than £5k-£7k per week for a manager. 

He just got the worst possible EPL job. A broken team in the relegation zone with no time to install his own system. It'll be a nice paycheck I'm sure but that's a desperate manager and a desperate club finding each other, not some sign of strength for either.

5 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

He just got the worst possible EPL job. A broken team in the relegation zone with no time to install his own system. It'll be a nice paycheck I'm sure but that's a desperate manager and a desperate club finding each other, not some sign of strength for either.

Right Led,

Greg Berhalter ? 

Give us the lowdown. 

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Cruyff said:

Right Led,

Greg Berhalter ? 

Give us the lowdown. 

Okay manager for the US national side but would get eaten alive in Scotland IMO. Completely different footballing cultures. Jokes about the cold nights in Dingwall have a bit of truth about them.

I have to say it, I absolutely love the passion that exudes from Robinson, gets an extra 25% work rate from bang average players... 

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Okay manager for the US national side but would get eaten alive in Scotland IMO. Completely different footballing cultures. Jokes about the cold nights in Dingwall have a bit of truth about them.

Fair enough, we'll safely say he's not on the list. 

It's quite tough to think of anyone that is within our realm and who has a track record to do a better job than Robbie. 

It needs to be someone that's managed at a higher level. Maybe wait until Davie Moyes gets his books at West Ham. 👀

Watt-Zeefuik
Just now, Cruyff said:

It's quite tough to think of anyone that is within our realm and who has a track record to do a better job than Robbie. 

It needs to be someone that's managed at a higher level. Maybe wait until Davie Moyes gets his books at West Ham. 👀

I'm serious when I say we should give Graham Potter a call. I know the chances are slim to none but I think he'd both be outstanding for us and because of his personality and how he's wired, there's an outside chance we'd win that lottery ticket.

Realistically I basically have zero knowledge about any manager we'd be able to hire. Almost goes without saying that if a European manager's name makes it into US sports news, they're probably already in someone else's sights. So there's the fallen big names like Moyes and Potter, the retreads like Warburton, the former players coming of age, the Scottish carousel (Robinson, eh?), and so forth. Nobody that I'd be terribly excited about. Which is the level I'm afraid our next manager will be.

I think the club made the first good manager hire in years with bringing back Neilson, as much as the time has to be called on it. Beyond that I'm hoping for a Potter-like stunner.

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Slavan Bilic and Nathan Jones are my two shouts. Both out of work currently, and would probably just about squeeze into our budget. I hope this is the sort of level we'd aim for. EFL Championship level.  

David Martindale or Stephen Robinson would be my picks from within the league if that's what we were having to do. Say what you like about them but their players play for them and have their utmost respect. 

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get that a team like Aberdeen who are frankly bang average are going to get third after horrendous runs of form and an appalling away record. It's very likely that 3rd place this season will be won with less than 60 points.

We got 3rd at a canter last season but that was largely due to Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell being atrocious and Craig Gordon being well Craig Gordon and winning us a large number of points.

Outside the OF, this is an incredibly mediocre league and we've failed on our part to raise the standard despite the infrastructure and finance in place. It's depressing to hear people suggesting Robinson,  Mackay or Martindale as replacements. They might do a bit better than Robbie but we're surely aiming higher than that in our ambition. I want a manager who imposes our style of play on the opposition at home and especially away and especially on teams with much lower budgets than us and can more frequently land blows on the OF and European opposition.

I don't know if he would entertain coming to Scottish football and we would likely need to pay a large salary if so, but someone Knutsen at Bodo Glimt has to be the kind of achiever we want.

VagabondJambo
7 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

As long as they have no prior ties to Glasgow (the West coast), Hearts or Scottish football I will be happy.

Yes, yes, and YES!

Your post is so important, it deserves its own thread (especially for any board members looking in).

19 minutes ago, R9. said:

I wonder if Anne Budge is on here as a guest looking at the names been mentioned and doing quick wiki checks on them 😂

Too busy knitting Robbie a jumper for the winter next season when he and the other tactical geniuses are still here.

VagabondJambo
39 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Chris Wilder 

Steven Schumacher 

Kieran McKenna 

Lee Bowyer 

Gary Monk 

Sound options, especially Schumacher and McKenna.  Both of them likely to be promoted to the Championship next season, however, if (by some miracle) we qualify in 3rd place for Europe, that should make Hearts a very attractive club for them.

55 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Chris Wilder 

Steven Schumacher 

Kieran McKenna 

Lee Bowyer 

Gary Monk 

Gary monk who has been at 5 or 6 clubs and punted barely season into reign at each club. Fantastic 

merseyjambo
2 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Chris Wilder 

Steven Schumacher 

Kieran McKenna 

Lee Bowyer 

Gary Monk 

McKenna will almost certainly be a championship manager next season. Schumacher could go either way.

What you want to look for is an up and coming manager who can work with resources that we have and have their teams in positions that they really wouldn’t expect to be.

Biggest one on that list is Bolton Manager, Ian Evatt. Previously in charge at Barrow and kept them in league. Work beside a few Bolton fans who are shocked he has them in play off contention and reckon a bigger club will come calling. Others I’d look at would be Paul Simpson at Carlisle, Jon Brady the Aussie at Northampton or Steve Cotterill at Shrewsbury. 

Anyone else is going to be out of a job at moment which will be the likes of Danny Crowley, Grant McCann or Nathan Jones. Crowley for me is a busted flush. Did superbly well at Lincoln but has flopped since then and been removed from jobs after that. McCann did well at Doncaster and got a bigger job at Hull who were a basket case club under their owners. Was emptied for Shota Arveladze which almost backfired on them. Then went to Peterborough where he was another victim of the hire them/fire them owner. Nathan Jones is one I can’t work out. Performed miracles at Luton but flopped badly at bigger clubs in Stoke and Southampton. Has a bit of an Eddie Howe vibe about him and has to be at the right club to perform as Howe flopped at Burnley so went running back to Bournemouth to repair his reputation.

Not sure on managers outside UK. For every Posticoglu there is a le Guen or Stendal. 

9 hours ago, kila said:

**** it, bring back Stendel, we need an all out attack "we'll score more than you" mantra! We've got the players for that now, they just need a manager who believes in them and puts them in their preferred and most comfortable position.

If Neilson did get chucked, it'd likely be Naismith to the end of the season. I'd be onboard with that... can't handle anymore of Neilson's style or tactics, and I don't think the players can either.

Would be interesting to see what he could do with proper backing from a recruitment team and a far better squad to start off with rather than the half hearted effort we gave him on his appointment last time. Couldn’t ever see it happening though. 

7 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Im not saying Marsch is an excellent manager but he's out of our reach financially by quite a distance. I also doubt guys that are getting jobs in the EPL are going to want to manage the current 4th best team in Scotland. 

Im all for being ambitious but there needs to be some sort of realism

BackOfTheNet

Unless we throw serious cash at a manager, if it’s anyone we’ve heard of it’ll no doubt be slightly underwhelming at least I imagine. We need to look further afield. There will be good young managers around the world with aspirations of working in England who even if not their native tongue can speak English. Some will be modern coaches with modern tactical nous.

It shouldn’t matter if we haven’t heard of a manager, so long he’s good enough. But I’ve said it before, we need to splash the cash not just on one man and a couple of assistants. We need an entire backroom staff deal. Managers that have numerous coaches to install their philosophy. If we want to be a bigger club, we have to start acting like it.

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

People seriously wanting Stendel back?? He was a disaster ffs. 

As is the current incumbent

2 minutes ago, Sherbet said:

As is the current incumbent

I think it’s time for Neilson to go but you simply cannot compare them. Stendel has a large part to play in us getting demoted. Tactically I’m more aware than Stendel :facepalm:

Srendel wasn't given a chance with his own players.  We got demoted because of budges failure to sack levein earlier

9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Slavan Bilic and Nathan Jones are my two shouts. Both out of work currently, and would probably just about squeeze into our budget. I hope this is the sort of level we'd aim for. EFL Championship level.  

David Martindale or Stephen Robinson would be my picks from within the league if that's what we were having to do. Say what you like about them but their players play for them and have their utmost respect. 

Nathan Jones cannae seem to manage anyone except Luton and he comes across as a David Brent type character. Not sure he'd work up here, I don't think fans would take to him, he's a bit cringe. 

I'm extremely sceptical about lower league managers from the English leagues, they don't seem to do well here. Either do players. They probably have this notion that Scottish football is crap, they come here and generally struggle to make the grade. 

Ibrahim Tall
2 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Srendel wasn't given a chance with his own players.  We got demoted because of budges failure to sack levein earlier

If his ‘own players’ were the standard of Langer and Avdijaj that’s probably a blessing.

1 minute ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

If his ‘own players’ were the standard of Langer and Avdijaj that’s probably a blessing.

Probably on a par with kio and hill