Our third colour

Gorgiewave

A classic Hearts scarf has maroon with narrower white bands and still narrower grey/silver bands. Recently, however, the grey/silver has been replaced by royal blue or yellow/gold. Some Hearts scarves, reflecting our strips, have black or sky blue.

What do you regard as our quintessential third colour?

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

britain-flag.gif

:leveinproblem:

:troll:

Those were our first colours. Now they're a'body's colours.

7 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

A classic Hearts scarf has maroon with narrower white bands and still narrower grey/silver bands. Recently, however, the grey/silver has been replaced by royal blue or yellow/gold. Some Hearts scarves, reflecting our strips, have black or sky blue.

There is no third colour in a Hearts scarf in my opinion. 

Edited by Paris 84

Japan Jambo
56 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

That was my first scarf and remains my preferred one.

4 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Problem is the flag is upside down!

That's not the problem...

davemclaren

I had a Hearts scarf from the 80s that had a yellow stripe on it. Wore it to the 98 cup final then I stupidly swapped it for a home scarf in Braga. ☹️

1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

Plenty do.

Hearts FC Football Fans Scarf (100% Acrylic) : Amazon.co.uk: Sports &  Outdoors

Heart of Midlothian - LiberoGuide

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN FC SCARF | eBay

Can you point to Hearts scarf pre eighties that had a third colour in it? If not, you’ll find the ‘quintessential’ Hearts scarf is Maroon & White. All in my opinion of course. 

between grey and blue... I think grey just pips it for me.

Certainly not that awful sky blue colour we tend to use for our away kits, it's horrific.

been here before
1 hour ago, Gorgiewave said:

A classic Hearts scarf has maroon with narrower white bands and still narrower grey/silver bands.

No it doesn't.

I’ve liked some of the grey strips. On a scarf, along with maroon and white, I like the darker blue. Like the Scotland strip colour, not over keen on the light blue. 

Heart of Midlothian F.C. - Wikipedia

Apart from Maroon.

Silver (or grey) round our club badge and in the centre representing the stonework on the Heart of Midlothian on the High Street.

Yellow (or gold) on the lettering, the badge surround and the football in the centre.

Blue to represent the Scottish flag of St Andrews.

So...

Maroon

White

Blue

Gold (or yellow)

Silver (or grey)

Take your pick!

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve liked some of the grey strips. On a scarf, along with maroon and white, I like the darker blue. Like the Scotland strip colour, not over keen on the light blue. 

Light blue should never be seen on anything associated with Hearts again. Looks awful and don't see where the connection is with our badge or club? Unless there's something I don't know about.

1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

Problem is the flag is upside down!

Bit like the United Kingdom right now then

Batistuta87

Don't think we really need a third strip unless there's some kind of commemorative reason. This year I'd like one for our 150th - a copy of the original all white plain maroon heart kit with full length trousers and moustaches. A blue and white away top is a favourite, and obviously plain maroon for the home kit. Had a go at designing them and actually really liked them so here they are: 

image.thumb.png.f2cd4ffe5dad3d90c6599d61d21d76c9.png

indianajones
4 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Don't think we really need a third strip unless there's some kind of commemorative reason. This year I'd like one for our 150th - a copy of the original all white plain maroon heart kit with full length trousers and moustaches. A blue and white away top is a favourite, and obviously plain maroon for the home kit. Had a go at designing them and actually really liked them so here they are: 

Nice. 

In a perfect world there is no third colour.  We are the boys in maroon and white..... nothing more, nothing less.

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Nice. 

Always enjoy when the mock ups start

Percival King

Simple bar scarf of equal maroon and white sections, grey tide mark on the middle white sections from rubbing against the wearer's neck, unidentifiable yellow stains, half a dozen strands of wool at either end (formerly tassels), smells of sweat, stale beer and a dozen other unpleasant blokeish smells. Has never been washed because that, of course, would bring the entire club bad luck and would render the wearer responsible for our failure to win the cup.

Batistuta87
35 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Nice. 

Always enjoy when the mock ups start

My 2nd favourite time of the year 😂

Favourite being transfer windows 

I grew up through the devastating silver era but always classed that as our third colour. I do, however, like the light blue in the kits. Especially that classic 96 stripey effort 😻

7 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

I’d like either silver or maybe grey like these:

03212DDD-8726-4570-B139-3CB1F8387059.jpeg

F06BA251-D7E1-4A7A-BDFD-5A30680D2E1C.jpeg

Silver Hearts strips give me the shudders please never again!

7 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

As a fan of a certain age I hope we never have another silver kit again,to many bad memories 

Did they ever sell tops from the 60's and 70's like they do these days? Like retail.  You never seem to see old tops for sale unless they are being auctioned from a legend thats passed away.

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Exactly. WTF are we celebrating a colour that we lost a league and cup double in? Mental.

Folk say they enjoyed that season, sure, fine.

I enjoyed the lateral lambada with a few girls before settling down to marry my missus. I wouldn't be telling her that I'll be getting their names tattooed on my arm because I've find memories of pumping them.

Nice analogy and spot on. I think the I enjoyed the season line is just a comfort blanket for some. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
8 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

The silver shirt of 🤢🤮

Percival King
31 minutes ago, Busman2 said:

As a fan of a certain age I hope we never have another silver kit again,to many bad memories 

Seconded. Not in my lifetime. It was a beautiful strip but I don't want anything that would remind of those two awful Saturdays.

FERRY HEARTS
2 hours ago, henryheart said:

In a perfect world there is no third colour.  We are the boys in maroon and white..... nothing more, nothing less.

We love to sing 

and we love to fight 

so let’s fight !  🇱🇻

Batistuta87
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Why have folk been jizzing on the collar of the home shirt?

Some folk can't help themselves. 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Percival King said:

Simple bar scarf of equal maroon and white sections, grey tide mark on the middle white sections from rubbing against the wearer's neck, unidentifiable yellow stains, half a dozen strands of wool at either end (formerly tassels), smells of sweat, stale beer and a dozen other unpleasant blokeish smells. Has never been washed because that, of course, would bring the entire club bad luck and would render the wearer responsible for our failure to win the cup.

:lol: not unlike mine, speciallt the strands, about 3 or 4 left in total, has been washed as it really was getting a bit grotty. Between 1981 and 2014 it hadn;t been washed, though for 18 yrs of that it was in storage. Still have it, my son wears it to games now.

ArcticJambo

Saw the maroon & white bar scarf with the grey bands on Friday, woman begging outside our Sainsbury's Local had one tied round her head. Was almost tempted to give her a fiver for it!

41 minutes ago, Pap said:

Did they ever sell tops from the 60's and 70's like they do these days? Like retail.  You never seem to see old tops for sale unless they are being auctioned from a legend thats passed away.

Strips were available from the likes of Thompsons in Corstorphine and Leith Walk and from Morris Kaye's on Dalry Road. None were what you could call official and there was no badge on the tops in those days. All small boys had them! Hearts didn't have a 'shop' until the early 70's, and the first strip I remember being sold was the Ajax style. It wasn't great, with a badge which was disproportionately large. They were not produced in large numbers. Much more common was a version of different material and with no badge from Thompsons and Morris Kaye's. 

The first proper replica was the Umbro strip from 1977-78, which was available in both home and away versions. I remember getting an away top from a shop on the corner of Gorgie Road and Newton Street.  A version of the home top was brought out a couple of years back but it is a very poor copy made of completely different material. It really is nothing like the one I bought and still have from back in the day.

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

We love to sing 

and we love to fight 

so let’s fight !  🇱🇻

Those were the days !!!  One of my family favourite tunes that one 

Maroon and white bar scarf would be the classic. I only remember additional colours appearing in the 80s. I like to think the grey shirt also has memories of our Tennents' Sixes triumph as opposed to what happened a year later😀.

Hectormasson
3 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Silver Hearts strips give me the shudders please never again!

correct , unlucky as f...k bin.....