Chris Shevlane (80). RiP.

The Real Maroonblood

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Whilst Shevlane was good I was always more in favour of Danny Ferguson who was a favourite for me!

Never fully understood why Chris Shevlane was allowed to leave, another Bill Lindsay (out) mistake …

Regardless he wore maroon with pride  … RIP

He was allowed to leave because allegedly he had a career ending injury.

Just now, Thomaso said:

Well done to him for recovering …

1 minute ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Well done to him for recovering …

He quit football and Hearts in 1967 and signed for Celtic in 1967. It was a very quick recovery.

4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Absolutely correct, maybe even Polland Cummings Anderson Higgins and after that it would have been Johnny Hamilton or Traynor then any number of names like Wallace, Willie Hamliton, White, Davidson, Winchester,  Paton, McFadzean, and loads more I've forgotten.

You must be as old as me.😖

That looks like a possibility.

10 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

Chris sometimes joined the lads down the Meadows for a Sunday afternoon game . Would be about 19 a side otherwise I wouldn't have got a game. Great guy.

And he was out there every weekday afternoon with "Dougie" practicing long balls and free kicks.  I used to see him regularly on my way home from primary school. 

12 hours ago, davemclaren said:

We should certainly try and reconnect  with him as a club.  He was on the first football card I got as a kid and the first Hearts player I can recall being aware of - apart from Willie Bauld and Dave Mackay who my dad continually talked about even though they no longer played for the club.  

Not to upset the Chris Shevlane posts, as this was before his time at Hearts anyway, but when we played Inter Milan in the Fairs Cup at Tynecastle in November 1961, their manager made it quite clear that if Davie Holt was to sign for them, with their training programme, he'd be a major International star within two years.  

He was absolutely correct....and this was from the coach of a team who had the Italian superstar Giacinto Facchetti playing at left back in his team in Gorgie that night.

2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He did and only played 4 games for Celtic.  He did well at Easter Road but, I believe, had a lot of trouble with his injury in later years after he stopped playing professionally.

Unfortunately, no CAT or PET scanners back then. 

John Findlay

I'm 60 next month, and I have a very vague memory of Chris Shevlane.

I think it might be his photo from the aforementioned football card(s).

RIP Chris Shevlane.

Stewart MacD
8 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Not to upset the Chris Shevlane posts, as this was before his time at Hearts anyway, but when we played Inter Milan in the Fairs Cup at Tynecastle in November 1961, their manager made it quite clear that if Davie Holt was to sign for them, with their training programme, he'd be a major International star within two years.  

He was absolutely correct....and this was from the coach of a team who had the Italian superstar Giacinto Facchetti playing at left back in his team in Gorgie that night.

Davie Holt was one full back Willie Henderson couldn't handle.

14 hours ago, Thomaso said:

He played 66 times for Hibs

I hadn’t thought that he played that many games for them. Maybe my memory is going but I can’t remember ever seeing him turn out for them against us.

He was  never the same player after he left us and the knee injury obviously did curtail what would have been a great career.

upgotheheads
14 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

Davie is still very much alive and looked in excellent health at the recent Willie Bauld Annual Dinner in the Gorgie. Was one of my first favourites

Mine to. I remember one tackle in particular that he had, he would approach a winger from behind and hook his right leg round the ball and sweep the ball away  like a garden rake without contact with the player and be away with the ball before he noticed it had gone. Good to hear he's still going strong.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Mine to. I remember one tackle in particular that he had, he would approach a winger from behind and hook his right leg round the ball and sweep the ball away  like a garden rake without contact with the player and be away with the ball before he noticed it had gone. Good to hear he's still going strong.

Thighs like tree trunks.

My first season following Hearts was Chris Shevlane's last and I probably saw him more often in a Hibs strip.

Who knows where the time goes? RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

It's good to read the posts about Davie Holt, who I remember well. Holt was my favourite player in those early days, so much so that I refused to like the late Arthur Mann, who replaced him, regardless of how good he actually was (very good, apparently).

On 16/03/2023 at 12:33, Chillidigits said:

Chris sometimes joined the lads down the Meadows for a Sunday afternoon game . Would be about 19 a side otherwise I wouldn't have got a game. Great guy.

17 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

And he was out there every weekday afternoon with "Dougie" practicing long balls and free kicks.  I used to see him regularly on my way home from primary school. 

I remember him joining in the Sunday games at the Meadows. Can't see any modern player either wanting to or being allowed to play in a Sunday  kickabout with about another 40 players.

Everyone who ever played at the Meadows at that time remembers Dougie Love. He seemed to be there morning, afternoon and night dispensing his words of wisdom about the game that he loved.

Chillidigits
20 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

I remember him joining in the Sunday games at the Meadows. Can't see any modern player either wanting to or being allowed to play in a Sunday  kickabout with about another 40 players.

Everyone who ever played at the Meadows at that time remembers Dougie Love. He seemed to be there morning, afternoon and night dispensing his words of wisdom about the game that he loved.

Yep. Dougie lived and breathed football and he spent a lot of time down there with Chris trying to help him back to full fitness. Those were the days.

Chillidigits
41 minutes ago, Canjam said:

or Peter Marinello

I recall Davie playing in a friendly match at Tynecastle against Stoke City. Davie went into a tackle with his usual tenacity on the opposition's winger,a guy called Stanley Matthews. Stanley, who was nearly at state pension age, shuffled past him like he wasn't there lol. Football was much more enjoyable in those days imo.

On 16/03/2023 at 09:46, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

Cruickshank, Shevlane , Holt was a very reassuring phrase

5C049C78-3EAC-444D-93C8-ABE7BE80F236.jpeg

8 hours ago, Deevers said:

I hadn’t thought that he played that many games for them. Maybe my memory is going but I can’t remember ever seeing him turn out for them against us.

He was  never the same player after he left us and the knee injury obviously did curtail what would have been a great career.

Debateable

On 16/03/2023 at 16:11, Papa said:

RIP Chris. Didn’t the Cruickie, Shevlane, Holt combo play for Scotland in the John White testimonial against Spurs at WHL? Recall that Tommy White (John’s brother and also on Hearts books) guested for Spurs in the game which ended 6-2 for Scotland.

I think they were capped together for a Scottish League v Republic of Ireland League fixture. Or I may just have dreamt that?

2 hours ago, corryjambo said:

My first experience of Dougie Love was in one of those 40 a side games when I was about 10 years old.  I sent the ball to a guy near the right corner who lobbed it right back into the goal area where I miscued it completely with my right foot.  Dougie, as always in his old track suit bottoms and beaten up boots,  grabbed hold of me and shouted, "Naw, naw, son, when the baw comes in from the right use your LEFT fit for the shot."

Words of wisdom from a real lover of the game there that I've never forgotten so it really irks me today when I see highly paid pros regularly use the wrong foot and slice the ball over the bar.    

Chris Shevlane learned a lot there.  I never saw him take a free kick or play a long forward pass without it getting behind the defence, unlike many of today's players who can't seem to even get a corner kick over the first defender. 

132goals1958
23 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Danny Ferguson and Davie Holt

7C714F91-00E1-4AA5-B74F-BFDF2171C2CE.jpeg

Danny Ferguson a local hero who stayed a couple of hundred yards from my house in Prestonpans. Played keepie uppy outside his house on my way to the Penny Pit hoping he would see me. His life tragically cut short at a very early age.

Old Pivotonian
On 16/03/2023 at 09:46, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

Cruickshank, Shevlane , Holt was a very reassuring phrase

Cruickshank, Clunie, Oliver had a similarly attractive tone.

On 16/03/2023 at 12:32, Niemi’s gloves said:

Sad news on Chris Shevlane. 

I think the outfield players of the early sixties were on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the older fans. They may have been been boyhood heroes to those of us now in our early 70s,  but for older fans even the team that nearly won the league in 1965 was a pale shadow of the 1950s team. And of course the decline after 1965 was pretty shocking, and perhaps revealed how badly the club was run off the pitch. 

Cruickie was in a bit of a different position in that he was clearly better than what had gone before. But it must have been a bit frustrating for him and Davie Holt, both having signed on from amateurs with Queen’s Park in 1960, joining a club that had won two league championships in three years and finding themselves in a club going nowhere fast. And of course at a time when clubs held all the cards and players couldn’t easily move on, it’s perhaps not surprising that both were ultimately unhappy with their lot. 

Great analysis. I think you make a great point about the young talented players arriving at the club in the early 1960s only to be frustrated at the mismanagement behind the scenes that cost us the 1964-65 title and then presided over a long period of decline and stagnation.

It was hard to retain hope back then but perhaps because we were so young, we did keep faith. Some older fans, as you say, undoubtedly took a more jaundiced view.

My first game was the 7-1 loss to Dundee and the second throwing away the league to Kilmarnock.

33 years of pain was to follow until that glorious day in 1998! 🏆

Followed Hearts through that awful period from 1965 when Cruickie was my hero, with only some great nights in the Texaco Cup to cheer us up.

Sorry to hear this.  RIP to his family and friends.

As an aside, I remember my old man telling me that Gordon Smith couldn't get the better of Tam Mc Kenzie in the 50's.