Sorry to hear this 

Cruickshank, Shevlane , Holt was a very reassuring phrase

It was.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

upgotheheads
9 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

The first three names on the teamsheet for what seemed like years.

Edited by upgotheheads

David McCaig
30 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

CD05FED3-0E08-423D-A3AA-8FF6999AFA2F.jpeg

3E43E28B-92BE-4B05-AB42-A67D7F1E3582.jpeg

David McCaig
1 minute ago, bigdav said:

Can't be many people who played for Hearts,Hibs and Celtic.

Sir Paul Hartley

scott herbertson

Great player - one of my first memories was his ginger barnet. For those who didn't see him think of the better patch Steve Frail had. A no nonsense reliable full back

132goals1958

Good player and apparently a really nice guy. Maybe an age thing but fondly remember those of his ilk when more recent players have long disappeared from memory. The days with long serving players and the team sheet was conscious thought  are but a distant memory.

A great full back. Brilliant defensively and could play with the ball at his feet. Saw him score a belter of a goal at Muirton Park against St Johnstone in a game we were two up in a half time and lost three daft goals in the second half.  He left us in funny circumstances when a knee injury was deemed to bad for him to continue playing football. His contract was cancelled.  As I remember he signed  for Celtic just a few months later. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Deevers said:

A great full back. Brilliant defensively and could play with the ball at his feet. Saw him score a belter of a goal at Muirton Park against St Johnstone in a game we were two up in a half time and lost three daft goals in the second half.  He left us in funny circumstances when a knee injury was deemed to bad for him to continue playing football. His contract was cancelled.  As I remember he signed  for Celtic just a few months later. 

He did sign for them but only played a handful of games then went to the Hobos.

davemclaren

A player whose name I remember very well from my childhood. I recall a bit of shock when he was released by Hearts after injury and then signed for Celtic.  He only played a couple of games for them mind.  RIP. 

45 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

CD05FED3-0E08-423D-A3AA-8FF6999AFA2F.jpeg

3E43E28B-92BE-4B05-AB42-A67D7F1E3582.jpeg

Still find it strange that Davie Holt isn’t in our HoF. Maybe he’s knocked it back as I believe he was unhappy with the club when he left?

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Korky said:

Still find it strange that Davie Holt isn’t in our HoF. Maybe he’s knocked it back as I believe he was unhappy with the club when he left?

I'm sure you're right about when he left.

Cruickie was the same.

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Korky said:

We should certainly try and reconnect  with him as a club.  He was on the first football card I got as a kid and the first Hearts player I can recall being aware of - apart from Willie Bauld and Dave Mackay who my dad continually talked about even though they no longer played for the club.  

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

We should certainly try and reconnect  with him as a club.  He was on the first football card I got as a kid and the first Hearts player I can recall being aware of - apart from Willie Bauld and Dave Mackay who my dad continually talked about even though they no longer played for the club.  

Maybe an approach via the Foundation?

Niemi’s gloves

Sad news on Chris Shevlane. 

I think the outfield players of the early sixties were on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the older fans. They may have been been boyhood heroes to those of us now in our early 70s,  but for older fans even the team that nearly won the league in 1965 was a pale shadow of the 1950s team. And of course the decline after 1965 was pretty shocking, and perhaps revealed how badly the club was run off the pitch. 

Cruickie was in a bit of a different position in that he was clearly better than what had gone before. But it must have been a bit frustrating for him and Davie Holt, both having signed on from amateurs with Queen’s Park in 1960, joining a club that had won two league championships in three years and finding themselves in a club going nowhere fast. And of course at a time when clubs held all the cards and players couldn’t easily move on, it’s perhaps not surprising that both were ultimately unhappy with their lot. 

Chillidigits

Chris sometimes joined the lads down the Meadows for a Sunday afternoon game . Would be about 19 a side otherwise I wouldn't have got a game. Great guy.

jambo-in-furness

RIP Chris,  he was a great favourite of mine at the time, even gave a friend with ginger hair “Shev” as a nickname,  lost touch with him in the very early 70s,  if your reading this Shev please pm me.  South Queensferry connection by the way.

3 hours ago, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

The first thing that came into my head when I saw this post. In my first Hearts team. Sad day. 

I'm sorry to hear this. I remember the days when Hearts and Hibs went to Gullane for pre season training and I used to watch them going through their paces. I was a young boy collecting autographs and I was darting between both squads and I caught up with a group of Hibs players as they walked along the water's edge. They were all happy to sign, and when it came to Chris Shevlane he asked me which team I supported. "Hearts" I said, and he howled with laughter, taking a dig at his new teammates. Happy memories. RIP. 

3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

The first three names on the teamsheet for what seemed like years.

followed by Poland Anderson Higgins.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Sad news on Chris Shevlane. 

I think the outfield players of the early sixties were on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the older fans. They may have been been boyhood heroes to those of us now in our early 70s,  but for older fans even the team that nearly won the league in 1965 was a pale shadow of the 1950s team. And of course the decline after 1965 was pretty shocking, and perhaps revealed how badly the club was run off the pitch. 

Cruickie was in a bit of a different position in that he was clearly better than what had gone before. But it must have been a bit frustrating for him and Davie Holt, both having signed on from amateurs with Queen’s Park in 1960, joining a club that had won two league championships in three years and finding themselves in a club going nowhere fast. And of course at a time when clubs held all the cards and players couldn’t easily move on, it’s perhaps not surprising that both were ultimately unhappy with their lot. 

Very good post. 

My grandad still turned up to watch Hearts in the mid & late 60s but hardly ever had a good word to say about them.  It wasn't just the decline in standard of players, but the new-fangled talk of 4-3-3 etc   was just nonsense in his eyes, after watching  great Hearts teams & players of the 30s through to the 50s  who "just played good football".      

The 70s were even worse for oldies like him. He stopped going around 1970.

3 hours ago, Korky said:

I was with him in Corporate when he came back for the first time as an ex player and tears were streaming down his face when he was introduced to the crowd by Scott Wilson and got a great reception .... which amazed and humbled him.  If the manager was Bobby Seith not surprised he fell out with us.  Davy was a lovely and humble man. 

50 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

I was with him in Corporate when he came back for the first time as an ex player and tears were streaming down his face when he was introduced to the crowd by Scott Wilson and got a great reception .... which amazed and humbled him.  If the manager was Bobby Seith not surprised he fell out with us.  Davy was a lovely and humble man. 

He left several years before Bobby Seith was manager. 

RIP Chris. Didn’t the Cruickie, Shevlane, Holt combo play for Scotland in the John White testimonial against Spurs at WHL? Recall that Tommy White (John’s brother and also on Hearts books) guested for Spurs in the game which ended 6-2 for Scotland.

2 hours ago, Disco Ball said:

Wiki has Davie Holt still alive at 87.

I believe he attended Alan Anderson’s funeral.

davemclaren
1 hour ago, henryheart said:

He left several years before Bobby Seith was manager. 

John Harvey was manager when he left in 69. Bobby Seith took over in 1970. 

6 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

He did sign for them but only played a handful of games then went to the Hobos.

Don’t think there’s any doubt that the knee injury certainly really effectively ended his career. I don’t think he played that many games for Hibs either.

a real shame as I think he would have had a stellar career. 
RIP Chris.

upgotheheads
4 hours ago, H2 said:

followed by Poland Anderson Higgins.

Absolutely correct, maybe even Polland Cummings Anderson Higgins and after that it would have been Johnny Hamilton or Traynor then any number of names like Wallace, Willie Hamliton, White, Davidson, Winchester,  Paton, McFadzean, and loads more I've forgotten.

You must be as old as me.😖

7 hours ago, Deevers said:

Yes let’s just say it was a very quick recovery from a career ending injury….

48 minutes ago, Deevers said:

Don’t think there’s any doubt that the knee injury certainly really effectively ended his career. I don’t think he played that many games for Hibs either.

a real shame as I think he would have had a stellar career. 
RIP Chris.

He played 66 times for Hibs

maroonsgotop
1 hour ago, Korky said:

Wiki has Davie Holt still alive at 87.

I believe he attended Alan Anderson’s funeral.

Davie is still very much alive and looked in excellent health at the recent Willie Bauld Annual Dinner in the Gorgie. Was one of my first favourites

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

John Harvey was manager when he left in 69. Bobby Seith took over in 1970. 

He left before 1969. As you say, John Harvey was the manager when he 'retired' before joining Celtic in June 1967. By the time Bobby Seith took over he had moved on from Celtic to Hibs. 

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, henryheart said:

He left before 1969. As you say, John Harvey was the manager when he 'retired' before joining Celtic in June 1967. By the time Bobby Seith took over he had moved on from Celtic to Hibs. 

Fair enough, must have left in 67 then. 👍

Francis Albert
9 hours ago, john thomas said:

Sorry to hear this 

It certainly was. 

David McCaig
23 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

Davie is still very much alive and looked in excellent health at the recent Willie Bauld Annual Dinner in the Gorgie. Was one of my first favourites

The picture of Chris Shevlane and Davie Holt was only taken at the tail end of 2022.  

1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

Even more surprising that Davie is not in our Hall of Fame when he can still be honoured in person. How does someone get nominated?

Whilst Shevlane was good I was always more in favour of Danny Ferguson who was a favourite for me!

Never fully understood why Chris Shevlane was allowed to leave, another Bill Lindsay (out) mistake …

Regardless he wore maroon with pride  … RIP