Fasting

Greedy Jambo

I eat at least 4 times per day plus snacking. Healthy BMI.

Just eat a balanced diet and get some exercise, no need for this fasting malarkey.

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Just eat a balanced diet and get some exercise, no need for this fasting malarkey.

Everyone has different metabolism 

1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Everyone has different metabolism 

Calories in versus calories out applies to everyone though.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Calories in versus calories out applies to everyone though.

Yes that’s true . 

58 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

On the whole I'd agree. There is plenty evidence to suggest benefits beyond weight loss, it's obviously not for everyone though.

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Seafood diet😃👍🏻

Hide contents

See food I eat it🤣

ahs-laugh.gif

I lost about 7 kg doing the 10-6 eating thing. After that promising start it just stopped. I have a new routine which works better. Now I eat 2 meals a day - breakfast and lunch - and only eat between 9 and 2. I get a bit hungry after 8 at night but not so much that it bothers me. Having said this I no longer do a huge amount of exercise and have a desk job.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Had a kidney infection week before last didn't eat anything in 3 days and only half a banana on the 4th day, still not eating at normal rate maybe 1500cal a day presently.

Harry Potter
On 05/03/2023 at 21:40, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been hearing a lot about this lately. 

Apparently our bodies are still used to the hunter gatherer era of eating once a day, our body still craves that sort of punishment, and when we're eating all the time like spoiled greedy *******s, our hunter gatherer brain starts to take it out on us mentally, since it has nothing else to do.

Thoughts?

i love my food too much.

• 1 month later...

Decided to start a calorie controlled diet in combination with the fasting diet . Down loaded an app where you scan bar codes of foods and it gives you the calories of the foods / drinks . 

Started last Friday 1st 

ding 🛎️ 🛎️ 

weigh in at 82.70 kg 

weigh in today 79.70 

so lost 3 kilos which is 6 lbs or half a stone !! 

feels great . 

I’m aiming for around 68 kg ( just below 11 stone ) healthy weight for my height and build 

it’s been a real eye opener about some foods and what calories they contain . 

cheese !! ( always knew it was high in calories but it’s way high ! So just a slice) 

The thing is you can still eat biscuits / crisps etc as long as it’s within your daily limit of calories . A man should have around 2500 k per day but to lose weight you should def go for under 1800 k per day . Some days I’ve been around 1000 k per day , but mainly been 1400 

The other good news 

pints of lager ?? 160 ! Yee ha mind you haven’t had a drink in weeks . 

had a steak last night , red onions , fat free chips ( small portion ) egg . Was about 400 kg 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

I’m on a diet for mainly health reasons . I’m on the cusp of stage 2 diabetes so best way to avoid this is weight loss . Plus I’ve def piled on the pounds in the last 6 months as I broke my ankle so wasn’t as Mobile as before . I knew I had put on the beef when I had a suit on in may which I hadn’t worn since last year and it struggled to fit me . Plus there are so many health benefits to keeping to your weight range . 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Decided to start a calorie controlled diet in combination with the fasting diet . Down loaded an app where you scan bar codes of foods and it gives you the calories of the foods / drinks . 

Started last Friday 1st 

ding 🛎️ 🛎️ 

weigh in at 82.70 kg 

weigh in today 79.70 

so lost 3 kilos which is 6 lbs or half a stone !! 

feels great . 

I’m aiming for around 68 kg ( just below 11 stone ) healthy weight for my height and build 

it’s been a real eye opener about some foods and what calories they contain . 

cheese !! ( always knew it was high in calories but it’s way high ! So just a slice) 

The thing is you can still eat biscuits / crisps etc as long as it’s within your daily limit of calories . A man should have around 2500 k per day but to lose weight you should def go for under 1800 k per day . Some days I’ve been around 1000 k per day , but mainly been 1400 

The other good news 

pints of lager ?? 160 ! Yee ha mind you haven’t had a drink in weeks . 

had a steak last night , red onions , fat free chips ( small portion ) egg . Was about 400 kg 

A lot of that initial weight loss will be water, jamesey, so it'll slow down a bit. Keep up the good work, though.

4 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

A lot of that initial weight loss will be water, jamesey, so it'll slow down a bit. Keep up the good work, though.

Thanks for that advice as i did wonder it seems to be quite a bit to lose in 8 days . On the diet app The target date for me to get to under 11stone is beginning of November so got plenty time . 👍 

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Thanks for that advice as i did wonder it seems to be quite a bit to lose in 8 days . On the diet app The target date for me to get to under 11stone is beginning of November so got plenty time . 👍 

Indeed you have.  Nip out for a chippie tonight to celebrate.

5 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Indeed you have.  Nip out for a chippie tonight to celebrate.

Nooooooo ! Don’t tempt me . 😎

Up at 6am (latest)on a work day.  Coffee while getting ready for work.

Cereal with banana and strawberries at morning break and a cuppa.

Sandwich, chocolate bar, more fruit at dinner time. (Not lunch time, it’s called dinner time 😎)

Get home post 4pm….maybe a coffee before tea time (not dinner time, tea time).

Whatever tea is, it is but we do like healthier meals….however, like to indulge also on occasion.  

49 years old and still play 5s (only once a week now, used to be twice, maybe a run sometime elsewhere in the week). Still just over 13 stone, accepted I’ll never get below 13st (I’m 6ft tall) and don’t attempt to burst my arse at 49 to do so 😁

1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Up at 6am (latest)on a work day.  Coffee while getting ready for work.

Cereal with banana and strawberries at morning break and a cuppa.

Sandwich, chocolate bar, more fruit at dinner time. (Not lunch time, it’s called dinner time 😎)

Get home post 4pm….maybe a coffee before tea time (not dinner time, tea time).

Whatever tea is, it is but we do like healthier meals….however, like to indulge also on occasion.  

49 years old and still play 5s (only once a week now, used to be twice, maybe a run sometime elsewhere in the week). Still just over 13 stone, accepted I’ll never get below 13st (I’m 6ft tall) and don’t attempt to burst my arse at 49 to do so 😁

Coffee has quite a few calories in it . Decaf has hardly any . Your ok weight for your height . I was 13 stone like you but shorter 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Coffee has quite a few calories in it . Decaf has hardly any . Your ok weight for your height . I was 13 stone like you but shorter 

Haha, aye.  I keep getting told from my wife about coffee. One of my weak spots though.  

Her fault anyway.  Bought me a Tassimo coffee machine two Christmases ago. 😄

12 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Haha, aye.  I keep getting told from my wife about coffee. One of my weak spots though.  

Her fault anyway.  Bought me a Tassimo coffee machine two Christmases ago. 😄

Lucky for me I cant drink anything with caffeine  So its decaf for me. 

34 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

The calories in the milk no, not the coffee

an espresso has 2 calories

8 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

The calories in the milk no, not the coffee

an espresso has 2 calories

Yes sorry you are correct. Its the milk which adds it on.

29 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes sorry you are correct. Its the milk which adds it on.

Drink away then 😂

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I’m on a diet for mainly health reasons . I’m on the cusp of stage 2 diabetes so best way to avoid this is weight loss . Plus I’ve def piled on the pounds in the last 6 months as I broke my ankle so wasn’t as Mobile as before . I knew I had put on the beef when I had a suit on in may which I hadn’t worn since last year and it struggled to fit me . Plus there are so many health benefits to keeping to your weight range . 

Sorry Judy, was reading through this thread from the start and thought it was interesting that you seem to have been doing the intermittent fasting for a while but also saying about being close to stage 2 diabetes and putting on the weight.

Is that because you weren't sticking to the fasting consistently enough and putting weight back on?

I'm interested in how people get on long term with it that's why I'm asking.

19 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Sorry Judy, was reading through this thread from the start and thought it was interesting that you seem to have been doing the intermittent fasting for a while but also saying about being close to stage 2 diabetes and putting on the weight.

Is that because you weren't sticking to the fasting consistently enough and putting weight back on?

I'm interested in how people get on long term with it that's why I'm asking.

Hi yes I’ve been on the IFD for a year or so but can’t say I’ve really lost that amount of weight at all . But I’ve just got used to fasting now as I still think it’s good for stomach and digestion .

However I have most def noticed the weight loss in the last week or so due to calorie counting . Maybe the mix of that and IFD are knocking the lbs off ?  

I ate nothing from 10 last night till 6 tonight . Had my dinner and it came below 600 k so I’m still well below my allowance for today . I’ll have a couple snacks later watching the tennis ( all calorie counted ) . 

Yes it’s weird how I hardly lost weight with the IFD and as I said I am on cusp of diabetes 2 and losing weight is vital to prevent it ? Also I have wondered if I might have a thyroid issue ? 

* my weight has fluctuated with the IDF like 2 lbs on 2lbs off etc . 

I’ve also been off the booze the last 2 weeks so that’s not been a bad thing either 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

On 05/03/2023 at 22:04, Morgan said:

We eat once a day, 10.00pm.  Beer and wine before, and with, dinner.

Perhaps a piece of fruit or a Greek yoghurt at lunchtime, though usually not.  A couple of really good coffees and some freshly squeezed fruit juice before we get up. Water drank throughout the day.  

Been doing this since about 2002.

Feel great (most days).

You eat once a day at 10pm? 

How can anyone go all day with no food and not eat till 10pm at night 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

AlphonseCapone
45 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Hi yes I’ve been on the IFD for a year or so but can’t say I’ve really lost that amount of weight at all . But I’ve just got used to fasting now as I still think it’s good for stomach and digestion .

However I have most def noticed the weight loss in the last week or so due to calorie counting . Maybe the mix of that and IFD are knocking the lbs off ?  

I ate nothing from 10 last night till 6 tonight . Had my dinner and it came below 600 k so I’m still well below my allowance for today . I’ll have a couple snacks later watching the tennis ( all calorie counted ) . 

Yes it’s weird how I hardly lost weight with the IFD and as I said I am on cusp of diabetes 2 and losing weight is vital to prevent it ? Also I have wondered if I might have a thyroid issue ? 

* my weight has fluctuated with the IDF like 2 lbs on 2lbs off etc . 

I’ve also been off the booze the last 2 weeks so that’s not been a bad thing either 

That's interesting. Obviously from a basic point of view it's about calories in and out so counting will be helping for sure. The IFD I suppose folk notice more than just weight loss benefits.

I'm still searching for my right eating strategy I think, often fluctuating between periods of very healthy and not healthy depending on how busy life is and my own moods. Not ideal.

Anyway, best of luck with the diabetes fight.

3 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

That's interesting. Obviously from a basic point of view it's about calories in and out so counting will be helping for sure. The IFD I suppose folk notice more than just weight loss benefits.

I'm still searching for my right eating strategy I think, often fluctuating between periods of very healthy and not healthy depending on how busy life is and my own moods. Not ideal.

Anyway, best of luck with the diabetes fight.

Thanks . I am just classed as “ pre diabetes “ so no diagnosis as such but been recommended that losing weight is the best thing to do to avoid it . Yes I see what you mean with weight gains / loses due to life events etc 

Folk get fat by eating too much.

It’s not exactly hard to work out.

There is no need to ‘break your fast’ just because it’s the morning.

If one is hungry, by all means eat. If one is not hungry, just don’t eat.

Habit. Habit. Habit.

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Folk get fat by eating too much.

It’s not exactly hard to work out.

There is no need to ‘break your fast’ just because it’s the morning.

If one is hungry, by all means eat. If one is not hungry, just don’t eat.

Habit. Habit. Habit.

Yes eat too much u get fat . However people sometimes eat just out of habit . Sitting watching tv etc or boredom etc . The trick is to eat only when you are hungry as you said . It’s re training your brain 

• 3 months later...

I fasted for 3 days last year and I'm a couple of hours away from completing another 3 day fast, i highly recommend it for others to try, I've found it surprisingly easy to do. Eggs and steak shortly.😋 

Harry Potter
On 05/03/2023 at 21:40, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been hearing a lot about this lately. 

Apparently our bodies are still used to the hunter gatherer era of eating once a day, our body still craves that sort of punishment, and when we're eating all the time like spoiled greedy *******s, our hunter gatherer brain starts to take it out on us mentally, since it has nothing else to do.

Thoughts?

I need real food to keep my strength up, steak pie tonight, i love food, enjoy it, no brainer,

veg burgers , veg haggis, lol.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Carbs with protein early in the day and mainly fish, meat and green veg later in the day seems to be as affective as fasting to lose weight sustainably. If you can do a workout of some kind before eating in the morning your body thinks it is fasted and can be beneficial rather than going full on fasting.