Fasting

Greedy Jambo

Greedy Jambo

I've been hearing a lot about this lately. 

Apparently our bodies are still used to the hunter gatherer era of eating once a day, our body still craves that sort of punishment, and when we're eating all the time like spoiled greedy *******s, our hunter gatherer brain starts to take it out on us mentally, since it has nothing else to do.

Thoughts?

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

I've been hearing a lot about this lately. 

Apparently our bodies are still used to the hunter gatherer era of eating once a day, our body still craves that sort of punishment, and when we're eating all the time like spoiled greedy *******s, our hunter gatherer brain starts to take it out on us mentally, since it has nothing else to do.

Thoughts?

I do this too, have done sporadically for years. Usually just once a week, loads of water and I'll allow myself 400 calories later in the day. Something to do with letting your body go into fat burning mode IIRC, I always feel great the next day though.

You should look into sleep hacking next 👍

William H. Bonney

I started keto roughly this time last year. Lost nearly 4 stone, most of it in the first few months. 

I do intermediate fasting as part of the diet. Although I'm no longer strictly keto. Just watch what I eat. 

We eat once a day, 10.00pm.  Beer and wine before, and with, dinner.

Perhaps a piece of fruit or a Greek yoghurt at lunchtime, though usually not.  A couple of really good coffees and some freshly squeezed fruit juice before we get up. Water drank throughout the day.  

Been doing this since about 2002.

Feel great (most days).

Lone Striker
12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

We eat once a day, 10.00pm.  Beer and wine before, and with, dinner.

Perhaps a piece of fruit or a Greek yoghurt at lunchtime, though usually not.  A couple of really good coffees and some freshly squeezed fruit juice before we get up. Water drank throughout the day.  

Been doing this since about 2002.

Feel great (most days).

Dinner at 10pm  ?   That sounds  awfy late.  What time do you go to bed ?

4 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Dinner at 10pm  ?   That sounds  awfy late.  What time do you go to bed ?

Around midnight, LS.

Up at 6/6.30.

Like a wee daisy.  👌

Greedy Jambo
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Around midnight, LS.

Up at 6/6.30.

Like a wee daisy.  👌

That's mental. 

Just don't get a dog, my neighbour is the same, and his yappy dog wakes me up at 6am every ****ing morning. 

Just now, Greedy Jambo said:

That's mental. 

Just don't get a dog, my neighbour is the same, and his yappy dog wakes me up at 6am every ****ing morning. 

🤭

It’s just what we’ve became accustomed to, GJ.

It’s a wee bit more difficult on a Saturday morning, but we push ourselves to get up and out for a walk or a wee run.

Lone Striker
4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Around midnight, LS.

Up at 6/6.30.

Like a wee daisy.  👌

Well, you must be blessed with an industrial-strength  digestive system !!   Eating a meal so late and then lying down would just mean heartburn misery for me.   Probably shouting to Hughie and Ralph in the bog too. 😲 

JudyJudyJudy

I do the intermittent fasting diet . Never eat after 10 pm and fast as long as possible into the next day . Usually get to 2/3 pm but can do until 5/6 at times . I eat whatever I want too . Usually health foods but have the odd snacks too 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

Greedy Jambo
12 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I do the intermittent fasting diet . Never eat after 10 pm and fast as long as possible into the next day . Usually get to 2/3 pm but can do until 5/6 at times . I eat whatever I want too . Usually health foods but have the odd snacks too 

So basically you just eat when you want? 😂

I rarely eat at the same times each day, I don't become hungry at the same time every day. I eat whatever I feel like, or whatever is easiest to prepare because when I'm hungry I'm not particularly fussy about it.

JudyJudyJudy
22 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

So basically you just eat when you want? 😂

Well only when I feel Hungry ! And not at the traditional set times such as breakfast and lunch etc . I hold off as long as I can 

Greedy Jambo
7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Well only when I feel Hungry ! And not at the traditional set times such as breakfast and lunch etc . I hold off as long as I can 

I've decided to hold off for at least 10 hours.

I went 17 weeks eating 2 booked eggs every day and nothing on Thursday (Cider day). Does that count.

I used to fast a day when bulking. Not every week, just if I felt a bit off. And eating before heavy deadlift day(I'd throw in, now and then) isn't a good idea, so I didn't. Same with heavy squats. 

😭 I miss weight training. You can eat as much chicken, fish, broccoli, porridge, egg whites, nuts and lean beef(If you have the money) as you want. Stairs and treadmill are also your friend. 

Sorry, what was the question?

I did 3 days at the tail end of last year. I'd strongly encourage you to start with something shorter beforehand though. That said, I felt amazing after doing it and plan on doing it again at the end of the month.

Tried keto. does work for weight loss but I ballooned back up quickly soon as I returned to a more regular diet. So did my mates whove tried.

And keto itself isn't long-term for me. Too much restriction and fact you need electrolytes to supplement it, suggests it's probably not balanced enough.

Fasting itself seems fine. There's meant to be a lot of healing qualities etc as well.

I found it quite easy to fast if I was busy at work. Should probably give it a bash again as I've turned In to a right fatty again 😅

Unknown user
1 hour ago, fast_blood said:

It's just an extreme way of creating a calorie deficit. Plus fat burning mode is made up. 

Nope and nope! Look up physiological ketosis, this is a thing.

2 hours ago, fast_blood said:

It's just an extreme way of creating a calorie deficit. Plus fat burning mode is made up. 

No it isn't. You keep yourself training constantly, your body will constantly burn the fat. 

And there's plenty of good food that burns more/same calories eating them, than they produce. 

KyleLafferty

Keto in my opinion is unsustainable. And fasting is a fancy word for skipping breakfast.

I wake up at 5am and I don’t eat till about 11/12 as I prefer to eat my daily calorie intake later on in the day. 

KyleLafferty
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

No it isn't. You keep yourself training constantly, your body will constantly burn the fat. 

And there's plenty of good food that burns more/same calories eating them, than they produce. 

Food doesn’t burn fat or calories.

Unknown user
3 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Keto in my opinion is unsustainable. And fasting is a fancy word for skipping breakfast.

I wake up at 5am and I don’t eat till about 11/12 as I prefer to eat my daily calorie intake later on in the day. 

What do you mean keto is unsustainable?

It's not meant to be, ketosis is a state your body goes in and out of naturally.

KyleLafferty
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Consuming it does though

Being in a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe you are making the point that certain foods burn fat? If not I apologie.

To answer your other point, I just think it’s not a sustainable lifestyle and from a personal point of view wouldn’t do it :)

Unknown user
12 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Being in a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe you are making the point that certain foods burn fat? If not I apologie.

To answer your other point, I just think it’s not a sustainable lifestyle and from a personal point of view wouldn’t do it :)

Fair enough, I've been doing it for years, I bloat a lot and it really helps, I feel great the next day.

It wasn't my point, but it's true that, for example, celery takes more calories to consume and digest than you gain from eating it.

If you spend a day a week with your body actively using up fat stores, there no doubt it helps weight loss, and fat targeted weight loss at that.

John Gentleman
14 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

I remember some scientist saying our daily nutritional needs are met met by (or the equivalent of) a 260 gram piece of lean meat, a 3cm chunk of liver and a squeeze of citrus -- for ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
It would be boring, but cheap......

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, John Gentleman said:

I remember some scientist saying our daily nutritional needs are met met by (or the equivalent of) a 260 gram piece of lean meat, a 3cm chunk of liver and a squeeze of citrus -- for ascorbic acid (Vitamin C).
It would be boring, but cheap......

That sounds rank 

John Gentleman
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

That sounds rank 

True. I guess our ancestors got their rocks off on seasonal mushrooms, wild strawberries and brambles.

It must've worked, 'cos here we are today.....

I've been doing 6:1 for several years now. Just eat nothing on a Monday. Works an absolute treat in terms of keeping the weight off and good for detoxing after a heavy weekend too. Feel much more mentally alert and sleep like a baby. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

47 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Food doesn’t burn fat or calories.

That's not what I mean. Your body will dispose of broccoli without it making a dent. Super goods. 

Bad carbs your body will store. Alcohol will destroy everything. Mind and body.

:olly:

Edited by ri Alban

New Town Loafer

If doing weight training in the morning would fasting be inadvisable?

7 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Depends what you're trying to achieve really.

Longevity, general fit and healthy then no...other than you may find it harder 

If you're looking to gain weight/muscle then sort of yes (unless you were very good at getting your calories elsewhere and well timed etc)

doctor jambo

I don’t eat during the day.

I have an evening meal and nighttime snacks.

coffee only from dawn till dusk

no energy drops

bouncing

dobmisterdobster

Fasting is great. Helps with my digestive issues.

I do drink water and black coffee to keep me going.

Weakened Offender
11 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

And fasting is a fancy word for skipping breakfast.

Skipping breakfast is the easy bit. Skipping late evening snacks is harder. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Your diet must consist of 100% prune juice given the amount of shite that comes out of you :) 😜

You’ve just replied to four people in one post.  🤭

5 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

There’s a lot of chat in the cycling world about this. Is it better to do a 100km training ride after carb loading or a quick 30 or 40km with no food before the ride. Seems a bit mad to me as you can easily bonk (cycling term the same as marathon runners “hitting the the wall”) on a 30km ride and it’s a horrible feeling when it happens, sudden total loss of energy and feeling awful. 

On 06/03/2023 at 04:50, ri Alban said:

And eating before heavy deadlift day(I'd throw in, now and then) isn't a good idea, so I didn't. Same with heavy squats.

The thought of doing these fasted 😳.

I've tried intermittent fasting before when I was trying to drop some fat and I had good success with it. Nothing to do with any magical processes that happen when you fast IMO, just more structured with my eating so easier to stay accountable.

New Town Loafer
17 hours ago, Taffin said:

Depends what you're trying to achieve really.

Longevity, general fit and healthy then no...other than you may find it harder 

If you're looking to gain weight/muscle then sort of yes (unless you were very good at getting your calories elsewhere and well timed etc)

It would be for muscle gain/maintenance. I'm absolutely fine for getting calories in later on, just wondering if there is any truth in needing to eat protein in the immediate aftermath of weight training.

8 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

It would be for muscle gain/maintenance. I'm absolutely fine for getting calories in later on, just wondering if there is any truth in needing to eat protein in the immediate aftermath of weight training.

If you're getting enough protein through the day you'd be fine. I'm not convinced by the whole, glug down a shake and eat a chicken straight after your workout. If you struggle to get enough in though, trying to get some within an hour or so of a hard workout would help ...but you don't need to go wild.

That said, if you're aiming to gain/maintain, I'd ask what's the purpose of the fast? You don't really get many of the main benefits unless the fast is a bit more prolonged (calorie control aside which is really relevant here).

It may needlessly feel harder work, that said it's mainly in your mind, you can get a pretty substantial workout in before you deplete your existing glycogen levels. It would depend when you fast, if you've had dinner and eaten enough the day before, you'll barely notice not eating before a morning workout imo.

(Not a PT or dietician, this is all just based on my own experiences and reading)

Edited by Taffin

New Town Loafer
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If you're getting enough protein through the day you'd be fine. I'm not convinced by the whole, glug down a shake and eat a chicken straight after your workout. If you struggle to get enough in though, trying to get some within an hour or so of a hard workout would help ...but you don't need to go wild.

That said, if you're aiming to gain/maintain, I'd ask what's the purpose of the fast? You don't really get many of the main benefits unless the fast is a bit more prolonged (calorie control aside which is really relevant here).

It may needlessly feel harder work, that said it's mainly in your mind, you can get a pretty substantial workout in before you deplete your existing glycogen levels. It would depend when you fast, if you've had dinner and eaten enough the day before, you'll barely notice not eating before a morning workout imo.

(Not a PT or dietician, this is all just based on my own experiences and reading)

Nice one, mate. To be honest, your own reading and experiences reflect mine on the whole so I'll just stick to having eggs and porridge in the mornings after a workout while eating and hydrating properly throughout the day. 👍

2 hours ago, RS86 said:

The thought of doing these fasted 😳.

No, just not within 3 hrs. 💩

• 4 months later...

Just searched this thread as it's something I've been trying, on a bit of a whim, for the last week or so. Some good advice/experiences shared so far, cheers guys. 

I've found it easier than expected so far, shows how much of our eating is out of habit rather than necessity.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, dumpson said:

Just searched this thread as it's something I've been trying, on a bit of a whim, for the last week or so. Some good advice/experiences shared so far, cheers guys. 

I've found it easier than expected so far, shows how much of our eating is out of habit rather than necessity.

I have been on the intermittent fasting diet for years now. I used to stop eating around 10pm and try to not eat until 2pm or 3 pm but now i regularly do not eat until 6 or  7 pm.  Sometimes later.  Its so true about eating out of habit esp with breakfast. I do cheat with the diet when on holiday though. Need a break from it but generally been impressed how well i have stuck to it. If i dont eat much for 3/4 days the weight drops off . 

On 06/03/2023 at 10:52, KyleLafferty said:

I just started this. 2 meals a day and cut out all the shite like crisps and biscuits etc. 

Its basic. Eat a normal lunch and a normal dinner but just have coffee and water in the mornings.

Roughly 18 hours in every 24 I eat nothing.

No stupid diets and the coffee helps with the hunger pangs until lunch-time (no sugar in it either).

3 Kg's fell off in under 2 weeks. Slow and steady.

Would be more but giving up Saturday beers and all the shite associated with it (crisps and snacks) is a step too far just now.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I’ve been doing this (I sort of make it up, like try not to eat till 1/2pm) combined with running and kickboxing.

Look in much better shape but tightening my belly and shifting belly fat is so tough. Almost like it’ll never happen