• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

6 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

young-blonde-boy-proud-expression-260nw-

😄 

6 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Stop it please, i cant stand the thought of him handing you your bottom again. Not nice.

It hurts 😞 

14 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Well done on the thistle award Jimmy. A bit off topic but a decent achievement nonetheless. 

I’m sure he has it proudly displayed beside the rest of his ‘awards’.

image.png.005fe42c670accb20f451279fd105165.png

The thing with Levein is that he really only has one section of his career in which he was a true disaster, and that was unfortunately for us the latter part of his time here. It's understandable that because of the wretched state he left us in that folks would remember that most, but here's his rough career:

Cowdenbeath: Very successful

Hearts: Extremely rare successive third finish and Europe. In many ways set the table for Burley

Leicester: Poor but no worse than his predecessors or successors.

United: Very successful, excellent job developing their youth program

Scotland: Narrowly missed qualifying for finals, just like every other Scotland manager until Clarke

Hearts 2nd time, DOF: Big part of building Neilson's first outstanding Championship team, had a number of other good coaches in the house. Colossal blunder to hire Ian Cathro though understandable given his reputation. Should have sacked Cathro in March rather than August. Was given too much responsibility post-Cathro and leaned too much on his old guard favorites, but nonetheless in the catastrophe season his points per game was only slightly worse than Stendel's and his win percentage was slightly better. Left with a 39% win percentage second time around which is pretty bog standard for most Hearts managers.

I think there's an argument that the game has passed him by. However managers in all sports all over the world have a faceplant of a season and get sacked and come back and do well. He'd likely do for them what Stendel should have done for us, and put in a defend-and-counter system to grind out results for survival.

Footballfirst

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7743/CLUB-STATEMENT--TONY-ASGHAR-LEAVES-DUNDEE-UNITED.html

DUNDEE UNITED CAN ANNOUNCE TONY ASGHAR HAS STEPPED DOWN FROM HIS ROLE AS SPORTING DIRECTOR.

Following more than four years at the Club, Tony has decided to leave his post to allow the new First Team Manager to be appointed within a revamped structure within the Football Department.

The Board and Chief Executive Luigi Capuano will now lead the process of hiring a new Manager and hope to provide an update this week.

The club will make no further comment at this time.

Edited by Footballfirst

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

https://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/news/7743/CLUB-STATEMENT--TONY-ASGHAR-LEAVES-DUNDEE-UNITED.html

DUNDEE UNITED CAN ANNOUNCE TONY ASGHAR HAS STEPPED DOWN FROM HIS ROLE AS SPORTING DIRECTOR.

Following more than four years at the Club, Tony has decided to leave his post to allow the new First Team Manager to be appointed within a revamped structure within the Football Department.

The Board and Chief Executive Luigi Capuano will now lead the process of hiring a new Manager and hope to provide an update this week.

The club will make no further comment at this time.

Well that is officially Levein then 

Quick nonce check , make sure he has all his thistle award certificates , touch his nose and walk in a straight line ………… sign here Mr Levein 

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

The correct outcome but Tony has only been making some recent catastrophic decisions based on United’s financial woes. 

I’d be surprised if they went for Levein but also sympathetic towards him gaining some sort of redemption within Scottish football. 

That thing you do
16 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Sounds like Levein said “I will take the jobs but Tony has to go!  Full control for me or nothing!”

And so he should. Stories of controlling behaviour coming out if true hes a big (no pun intended) part of the problem

Edited by That thing you do

20 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Sounds like Levein said “I will take the jobs but Tony has to go!  Full control for me or nothing!”

That was my immediate thought. 

Stories going about that Ogren has sold 75% of his holdings. Sold to three investors each getting 25% one being the owner of Macklin Motors. Levein in until the end of the season. 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, ScandinavianJambo said:

He is a Hearts man no doubt about it and his first stint and coming back as being part of the rescue of Hearts/getting Robie in/getting us up first time asking was phenomenal.  However, then he lost it and the problem was't  Ann forcing his hand, but putting too much trust in him. He wasn't good enough, he fecked up big time and could not or would not admit it. He wouldn't have turned it around and it was time for him to go.  

Succinct, accurate.

13 minutes ago, PaddysBar said:

That was my immediate thought. 

👍. Could be wrong but it does have that kind of an odour to it. 

55 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Possibly around that time but Leicester, under successors to Levein, did go on to win the EPL, albeit 10 years later.

2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Possibly around that time but Leicester, under successors to Levein, did go on to win the EPL, albeit 10 years later.

There’s plenty of negative comments we can make about Levein’s managerial career. Not winning the English Premier League while Leicester were in the Championship is probably not one of them.

7 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

There’s plenty of negative comments we can make about Levein’s managerial career. Not winning the English Premier League while Leicester were in the Championship is probably not one of them.

I know, but the statement was specific.

Clearly, his succesors did better. There can be no argument as regards that.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

The thing with Levein is that he really only has one section of his career in which he was a true disaster, and that was unfortunately for us the latter part of his time here. It's understandable that because of the wretched state he left us in that folks would remember that most, but here's his rough career:

Cowdenbeath: Very successful

Hearts: Extremely rare successive third finish and Europe. In many ways set the table for Burley

United: Very successful, excellent job developing their youth program

Scotland: Narrowly missed qualifying for finals, just like every other Scotland manager until Clarke

Hearts 2nd time, DOF: Big part of building Neilson's first outstanding Championship team, had a number of other good coaches in the house. Colossal blunder to hire Ian Cathro though understandable given his reputation. Should have sacked Cathro in March rather than August. Was given too much responsibility post-Cathro and leaned too much on his old guard favorites, but nonetheless in the catastrophe season his points per game was only slightly worse than Stendel's and his win percentage was slightly better. Left with a 39% win percentage second time around which is pretty bog standard for most Hearts managers.

I think there's an argument that the game has passed him by. However managers in all sports all over the world have a faceplant of a season and get sacked and come back and do well. He'd likely do for them what Stendel should have done for us, and put in a defend-and-counter system to grind out results for survival.

It wasn’t just one season though, apart from ten games and that win over Celtic it was poor. 
Harsh to judge Stendel on CLs unfit and demoralised team, CL couldn’t make them hard to beat so could anyone really?

Passed it most definitely. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Stories going about that Ogren has sold 75% of his holdings. Sold to three investors each getting 25% one being the owner of Macklin Motors. Levein in until the end of the season. 

That would be a quick turn, as the Courier was only reporting that a consortium is looking at buying Dundee united but its still early stages.

But if there is a take over, then getting Levein in till the end of the season to steady the ship (I know that may not happen) makes some sense. Giving the new owners time to plan a new structure to the club and how they proceed.

59 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Before doing that they got demoted to League 1. Levein was fired because he had them just above the relegation zone. They didn't finish better than that for 5 seasons or so.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It wasn’t just one season though, apart from ten games and that win over Celtic it was poor. 
Harsh to judge Stendel on CLs unfit and demoralised team, CL couldn’t make them hard to beat so could anyone really?

Passed it most definitely. 

Set the Stendel comment aside, then. I've said my piece on him elsewhere. Levein has a record of being good at this kind of thing. At the very least we looked a whole lot better after he took over from Cathro than before, although I suppose that might be damning with faint praise.

1 hour ago, Canscot said:

If Craig Levein has got Asghar to go then he's even more of hero for Dundee United fans than he already was. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Set the Stendel comment aside, then. I've said my piece on him elsewhere. Levein has a record of being good at this kind of thing. At the very least we looked a whole lot better after he took over from Cathro than before, although I suppose that might be damning with faint praise.

Hes bound to do better than Fox but he’s not a long term solution and he’s unlikely to take a short term deal. 
I for see Rankin as head coach with him passing down notes as DoF. 

18 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hes bound to do better than Fox but he’s not a long term solution and he’s unlikely to take a short term deal. 

What is long term in football though?

That thing you do
1 hour ago, Skivingatwork said:

Could also be stepping down before the owner pulls the plug and he doesn’t want to be associated with the administration event.

Seeing the Dundee Courier rumour theres a takeover bid in the mix as well. 

Consortium led by Dundee based Entreprenuer. 

Maybe Ogren is selling up entirely after the fans turned and theres a clean sweep across the club management. 

I think its too late to save the season but it might get them on an even keel and something to build from.

Administration is also a possibility but Uniteds debt is by and large to Ogren after he invested his money, its not a Sevco style debt mountain.

In other news Inverness at risk of going to the wall.

That thing you do
22 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

CL in as DoF, Lennon as head coach.

Please please please!

I think that would go down quite well as a temp to end of season scenario. Levein though I can see being there long term. The fans liked him alot up there.

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Hmmm.... thats a rather similar gamble to him bringing Cathro in at Hearts.    Rankin has done a total of 15 months at Hamilton in L1 as head coach or asst head coach - hardly setting the heather on fire there either.

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

CL in as DoF, Lennon as head coach.

Please please please!

Hahahahaha pass the popcorn . . . Teeth 🤮

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

Hmmm.... thats a rather similar gamble to him bringing Cathro in at Hearts.    Rankin has done a total of 15 months at Hamilton in L1 as head coach or asst head coach - hardly setting the heather on fire there either.

He never ever admitted that it was a mistake, he doesnt do that. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He never ever admitted that it was a mistake, he doesnt do that. 

Aye.... the closest he got to it was his comment in the media after Cathro had lost about 5 games - "Once Ian gets to understanding Scottish football, he'll be fine" 

:what:

If Levein does get the gig then I hope he does well (bar playing us obviously) as Sportsound/Sportscene with Michael Stewart will be essential listening/watching 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Aye.... the closest he got to it was his comment in the media after Cathro had lost about 5 games - "Once Ian gets to understanding Scottish football, he'll be fine" 

:what:

Maybe both could return to Tannadice 🤔😆🤞?!?!

i wish jj was my dad

I don't know if CL is in the running or not and I'm not sure he needs the stress at this point in his life but if he took it and turned it around for utd like he did before heads will be exploding all over the shop. 

23 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I don't know if CL is in the running or not and I'm not sure he needs the stress at this point in his life but if he took it and turned it around for utd like he did before heads will be exploding all over the shop. 

Yes they will

Bazzas right boot
34 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Imagine they beat us under him.

3_Nuclear-Bomb-Explosion-Mushroom-Cloud.jpg

11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I vaguely remember he had a great record against us, weren't they a nightmare to play against?

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I vaguely remember he had a great record against us, weren't they a nightmare to play against?

Aye, they hammered us a few times.

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Their Barry Robson and Devries team caused us a bit of bother at least once . They beat us 0 - 4 at Tynecastle when we still had a lot of good Romanov era players in the team . We were a bit of a mess off the park though and I can not remember who our manager was , it would be like throwing darts at our manager Wikipedia page . It was at about that time that people started to crave a bit of organisation and structure in the dug out and behind the scenes and the way he had turned them around looked like a get set up from the out side looking in for many of us . It just never really translated in to some thing that worked at a bigger club really 

Randy Marsh
7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You would probably enjoy that.

i wish jj was my dad
7 hours ago, Smithee said:

They did. He is a good manager or at least he was. With us he made sure we were always well organised and up for it against the shite. I had the impression he had his plate full with other duties and didn't focus enough on the first team but would against Hibs. If he were to do that with Utd they have the players capable of turning it around.

Question for me is why would he bother? He has a good gig at the BBC with no stress. 

7 hours ago, Smithee said:

Usually beat us by 3 or 4 goals, much to the chagrin of some of his longer term haters.

Probably most infamously was the game where Ibrahim Tall, selected at right back, was sent off early and the Frail/ Korobochka committee, couldn't get permission to adjust the team. Barry Robson with no full back in front of him, scored a very easy hat trick.

Edited by Martin_T

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed