Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed

That thing you do

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was popular here first time around too, he's working at Brechin for a reason. 

Mental they can't see this. Oops, I mean no, what a great appointment he'll be, please don't sign him because Dundee United will be great under him

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, TayJamTart said:

Craig Levein being heavily touted in Dundee for a return to United. 

He was very popular with fans last time round. 

He could well be a safe pair of hands to keep them in SPL this season. 

How do us Jambos feel about that? Hmm..not sure! I thought his SPL manager days were well and truly over! 

There's a big talent gulf in Scottish football regarding  managers. 

Younger guys like Hartley, Mcann, Dodds etc have all pretty much all  failed.

Non OF clubs don't have the finance to attract any quality from oversees so you are left recycling guys like Hughes,  Robinson,  Ross, Goodwin, McInnes  etc.

Cl isn't that old and his cv blows most of the others on the merry go round out of the water.

He's had a heart attack and should have learned from  trying to control too much with us  so should have chilled a bit.

For Utd -Courts, Mcinnes or Martindale would make sense but giving their financial issues the latter 2 are probably not interested. 

Utd, especially if they go down are a 3/4 year project. 

Shanks said no

The Dundee United vacancy is a job for 12-14 games, no SP incumbent manager like Martindale would be crazy enough to jump ship for it.

Levein or Lennon might just take it. Keep UTD up and they can then decide to stay or have a large plus mark on their CV's for their next jobs. Obviously take UTD down and it will be seen as less positive but the damage has already been done. A bit like Alardyce was able to pocket a fortune every year down south.

pettigrewsstylist
8 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah he had got 4-5 goals. Seem to remember him being murder in the last two games against us and I was surprised to see that he had even played one game because I hadn't seen him on the ball. He is a ball at the feet type player though who will quickly disappear in games where they're just hoofing it end to end. I'd definitely take a chance on him for the right money but currently he doesn't just stroll into our team. Far from it. Like I say above he would probably sit somewhere near Grant in the pecking order until he showed a bit more. 

I thought he buried a peach against us in 2-2 game. 

1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Mental they can't see this. Oops, I mean no, what a great appointment he'll be, please don't sign him because Dundee United will be great under him

He did well at United first time round.

Did so well he got the Scotland job of the back of it.

He was never the same after his heart attack and should have retired with dignity.

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

He did a good job at United . Your hatred towards him is quite amusing though 

He was good for us 1st time too second time a complete disaster.  Why would it be different in Dundee with a lot less money than he had either at our club or before at Utd?

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He was good for us 1st time too second time a complete disaster.  Why would it be different in Dundee with a lot less money than he had either at our club or before at Utd?

I think that is the reason personally . I think the Hearts job was too big for him to do the way he did it at United . I think he did so well there because they were a smaller club and him running every thing was not such a massive mountain to climb as it was at Hearts second time around . He has been good and bad in his career and if he got the United gig I think he would do them a turn . They are also in a similar position to when he went there last time 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sertse said:

Obviously he is the best candidate 😆

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

He did a good job at United . Your hatred towards him is quite amusing though 

You and others love for him makes me nauseous. Glad you guys think that the money he wasted and the demotion he caused is all forgotten, simple minds eh. 

1 minute ago, Hansel said:

Think he'll probably do OK. Expectations low and can't do much worse than previous managers.

Oh I think he absolutely can, 1st Division bound. He’ll be phoning Neilson for advice on how to get out the championship!

Naisys Tackle
28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think that is the reason personally . I think the Hearts job was too big for him to do the way he did it at United . I think he did so well there because they were a smaller club and him running every thing was not such a massive mountain to climb as it was at Hearts second time around . He has been good and bad in his career and if he got the United gig I think he would do them a turn . They are also in a similar position to when he went there last time 

Possibly but we would have to sign smarter there also with a lot less money.  I reckon he would be a disaster there and his time as a manager or DoF is done in the game.  Probably doesn't need the stress but may need the cash. 

ShortmanRossco
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You and others love for him makes me nauseous. Glad you guys think that the money he wasted and the demotion he caused is all forgotten, simple minds eh. 

Pot kettle black with you posting about him repeatedly. You are turning into just about as much a parody as I8 with Budge. We get it, you don't like him. Give it a bloody rest. 

24 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I do not love him I wanted him gone . He failed badly second time around . Now I am ambivalent at best . I do find it funny when you lose your brains over the mere mention of his name though 

8 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Possibly but we would have to sign smarter there also with a lot less money.  I reckon he would be a disaster there and his time as a manager or DoF is done in the game.  Probably doesn't need the stress but may need the cash. 

Not saying it would be a sure thing for him there mate , just my suspicion that he would do well 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Pot kettle black with you posting about him repeatedly. You are turning into just about as much a parody as I8 with Budge. We get it, you don't like him. Give it a bloody rest. 

Please don't ever feel that you can tell what i can or cant post, nobody on here has ever managed yet, so just pop me on ignore as i will do with you. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I do not love him I wanted him gone . He failed badly second time around . Now I am ambivalent at best . I do find it funny when you lose your brains over the mere mention of his name though 

Im allowed to hold a grudge, most still do with many people like Lennon for instance.

Once again you have overestimated his effect on me, I would love him to get the job for the lols 😆.

Naisys Tackle
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Not saying it would be a sure thing for him there mate , just my suspicion that he would do well 

👍👍

2 hours ago, TayJamTart said:

Craig Levein being heavily touted in Dundee for a return to United. 

He was very popular with fans last time round. 

He could well be a safe pair of hands to keep them in SPL this season. 

How do us Jambos feel about that? Hmm..not sure! I thought his SPL manager days were well and truly over! 

Personally I'd rather be sniffing around Amy Irons than picking Charlie Adam up from the panel beaters, but hey if he wants the grief that's up to him. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Im allowed to hold a grudge, most still do with many people like Lennon for instance.

Once again you have overestimated his effect on me, I would love him to get the job for the lols 😆.

Neil Lennon never represented Hearts with distinction as a player , and never managed us to many great results . Hardly a good comparison now is it 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Neil Lennon never represented Hearts with distinction as a player , and never managed us to many great results . Hardly a good comparison now is it 

He caused far less problems than CL did, glad you’re not ambivalent to that though.

Many supporters love/hate Vlad, that a better comparison? 
Wonder what would’ve happened if he had bought Utd instead.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He caused far less problems than CL did, glad you’re not ambivalent to that though.

Many supporters love/hate Vlad, that a better comparison? 
Wonder what would’ve happened if he had bought Utd instead.

Romanov is a slightly better comparison yes . If you seriously put Levein in the same category as Lennon then I suggest you are completely broken though 

2 hours ago, TayJamTart said:

I think CL is still a professional adviser to Brechin board.  Compensation from  DUFC could be a sticking point? 

Or could CL do a ' Gordon Strachan multi team multi skill ' type role? 

Let's face it , compensation to Brechin wouldn't be much more than 20 quid, plus a tray of pies for the board....!

45 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Is the talk that Levein will take over until the end of the season or permanently?

Be a bit daft to keep him on past the end of the season if he comes in and makes a pigs ear of it. 

6 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Be a bit daft to keep him on past the end of the season if he comes in and makes a pigs ear of it. 

You're forgetting Levein's powers of persuasion. He'll sell them the 'Loic  Damour Model' by proving the cost effectiveness and stability to be gained from a 4-year contract.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Romanov is a slightly better comparison yes . If you seriously put Levein in the same category as Lennon then I suggest you are completely broken though 

Thanks once again for the unsolicited amateur psychology. 

Pasquale for King
Just now, Carter said:

Can see a return for Tam Courts. They're in a real mess. 

He couldn’t wait to get away, that doesn’t always put clubs off though 🤔😜?!?!

3 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

His win percentage with Dundee Utd was less than a percent better than his record with us, 2nd time around.  Points per game, extrapolated for 38 games, you're looking at 1-2 points more at the end of a league season in his successful time at Dundee Utd vs his 'disaster' at Hearts.

Perhaps Dundee Utd are looking at the majority of his time in top flight Scottish football when he'd done relatively well?

Edited by Rampant

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He couldn’t wait to get away, that doesn’t always put clubs off though 🤔😜?!?!

Quite! Didn't work out for Courts in Hungary. United are a mess and seem to be a financial basket case. Courts did well with a squad that was arguably weaker on paper than what they've got now. 

Naisys Tackle
11 minutes ago, Rampant said:

His win percentage with Dundee Utd was less than a percent better than his record with us, 2nd time around.  Points per game, extrapolated for 38 games, you're looking at 1-2 points more at the end of a league season in his successful time at Dundee Utd vs his 'disaster' at Hearts.

Perhaps Dundee Utd are looking at the majority of his time in top flight Scottish football when he'd done relatively well?

They may be yes.  But that would be incredibly daft considering the nightmare his last top flight job was.   He was taking us down and now they want him to not take them down?  Weird.   

Edited by Robbies Tackle

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Cl isn't that old and his cv blows most of the others on the merry go round out of the water.

Steady on.

His managerial career started 26 years ago and in that time he has won zero league titles, zero promotions and only reached 2 cup finals (losing them both). He was responsible for the relegation in 2020 and has an overall win % of 38%. 

I appreciate he has a marmite reputation in football (and on here) and some see him as a flawed genius while others consider him as a busted flush. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He’s very very very average. 

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Carter said:

Quite! Didn't work out for Courts in Hungary. United are a mess and seem to be a financial basket case. Courts did well with a squad that was arguably weaker on paper than what they've got now. 

He did a great job, he obviously got away asap but probably should get another chance here soon. 

WheatfieldWarrior
3 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

You might be thinking to far ahead in terms of signings - levein to the end of the season with united would really only be able to access the free agents market as the window is closed, so ultimately would need to make do with the players that are there.

They are conceding roughly 2 goals a game, so he may be able to shore that up.  

42 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

They may be yes.  But that would be incredibly daft considering the nightmare his last top flight job was.   He was taking us down and now they want him to not take them down?  Weird.   

But in terms of his ability to pick up points, even in his nightmare of a last top flight job, he was picking up nearly double the points per game as Utd have so far this season. 

He may well have been taking us down (I'm not trying to suggest Levein didn't deserve to lose his job), but he had Hearts in 11th (just) and Dundee Utd might well bite your hand off for that come the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

Steady on.

His managerial career started 26 years ago and in that time he has won zero league titles, zero promotions and only reached 2 cup finals (losing them both). He was responsible for the relegation in 2020 and has an overall win % of 38%. 

I appreciate he has a marmite reputation in football (and on here) and some see him as a flawed genius while others consider him as a busted flush. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He’s very very very average. 

I think the point is that the other names that will be in the hat are at best, very very very very average...  I'm not seeing many argue Levein is top class manager, just considering what his competition for the job actually is.

2 minutes ago, Rampant said:

I think the point is that the other names that will be in the hat are at best, very very very very average...  I'm not seeing many argue Levein is top class manager, just considering what his competition for the job actually is.

I agree, he’s the same colour of brown as the rest of the shite. But his CV certainly does not “blow the others out of the water” which was what in took issue with. 

14 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

I agree, he’s the same colour of brown as the rest of the shite. But his CV certainly does not “blow the others out of the water” which was what in took issue with. 

I'd probably say the Scotland job alone seals the deal

35 minutes ago, Anderson5 said:

I don't agree he's the same colour though.

Hughes / Robinson / Ross / Goodwin / McInnes were the names posed.  McInnes aside, Levein's CV does blow them out the water, doesn't it?  He has achieved at least as much as any of those names at similar sized clubs to Dundee Utd, more often he's performed better, plus he's managed at levels considerably higher than any of them.

One of them may well be a better choice for Dundee Utd than Levein, but I don't think it was a ridiculous statement at all.

Judging by the rumours that are always floating around about the same sources of unrest in the dressing room, the only option is Charlie Mulgrew player/manager.

5 hours ago, tian447 said:

Judging by the rumours that are always floating around about the same sources of unrest in the dressing room, the only option is Charlie Mulgrew player/manager.

Judging by his performance on Saturday, if Mulgrew becomes manager and stops playing, he'll automatically improve the team before he does his first team talk.

7 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

Scotland job , managed in UEFA Cup group stages , back to back third places , winning individual games against Bordeaux and beating Braga over two legs is miles ahead of the other candidates . I get that people do not like him and are. Utter about how his second stint with is panned out but you can not just pretend he has not has his moments and he has operated at a higher level with out a shadow of a doubt 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Anderson5 said:

Steady on.

Compared to the guys I mentioned, and you missed my first line it about Scotland having  a lack of talent.

Folk really should read the whole post before taking a snippet from it and distorting the context.

It's very telling when folk ignore most of a post and quote just one section.

I get why they would consider someone of Levein's experience.  They can't afford another experiment.  I think they could do a lot worse than give him a rolling contract until end of season.  Other than that maybe Ian McCall.  

Edited by TexasAndy

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Rampant said:

I don't agree he's the same colour though.

Hughes / Robinson / Ross / Goodwin / McInnes were the names posed.  McInnes aside, Levein's CV does blow them out the water, doesn't it?  He has achieved at least as much as any of those names at similar sized clubs to Dundee Utd, more often he's performed better, plus he's managed at levels considerably higher than any of them.

One of them may well be a better choice for Dundee Utd than Levein, but I don't think it was a ridiculous statement at all.

Yip, he was very selective in quoting and missed the entire context. 

And I also stated McInnes and Martandale, the two standouts if you will  might not be Interested. 

RustyRightPeg
24 minutes ago, Americana said:

They are f*cked if Levein is the man for the job.

Yeah. I’ve also seen some quotes giving him full control, whatever that means. If it’s similar to his time here then they really are ****ed. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Dundee United are fecked - Goodwin appointed