Why Bands chose their names, some very obscure

All roads lead to Gorgie

In the mid 80's I wanted to call our band "The Fearless Vampire Killers"* after one of my favourite movies but was told to feck off by the other three members.

Apparently, about 20 years later, there was such a band.

I feckin knew I was onto something back then. 😄

*aka, "The Dance of the Vampires".

Edited by martoon

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Tazio

• I P Knightley

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

The stuff about surfing and things. They used to use a different name every gig when they first started but had a song called Butthole Surfer and an MC introduced them as The Butthole Surfers as he knew they song and they decided to go with it. 

I’m okay with that I guess 

Deep blue something is because one of the band said when they were trying find a name said deep blue something expecting someone else to say a word to replace the something but they didn't 

Hagar the Horrible

Sham 69  because it was written on a public toilet wall with Hersham 69

Black Sabbath because they saw the Boris Karloff film of the same name being shown in the cinema as they came out their rehersal studio

U2  because they are sanctimonious w**ks

Hagar the Horrible

Jethro Tull,  inspired by an agricultural inventor

Grateful Dead..being of their tits on drugs....why not?

Styx,  the river in Purgatorio from Dantes Devine Comedy

Uriah Heep  from Charles Dickens'  David Coperfield

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Jethro Tull,  inspired by an agricultural inventor

Grateful Dead..being of their tits on drugs....why not?

Styx,  the river in Purgatorio from Dantes Devine Comedy

Uriah Heep  from Charles Dickens'  David Coperfield

There are two stories around the choice of “Grateful Dead”

1: Garcia opened a dictionary at random and there it was…

2: It’s a quote from the Egyptian Book Of The Dead: “In the land of the night the ship of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead”

Of course, in either case there’s a good chance hallucinogens played their part…

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdead/faq/name.html

2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

U2  because they are sanctimonious w**ks

US spy plane, one of which went down over the USSR and the pilot was held by the Soviets.

8 hours ago, Tazio said:

I managed to find a website that mentions it, and has a list of some of the names they appeared under. Amazingly Butthole Surfers is a tasteful choice. 
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/crazy-names-butthole-surfers-used/

My goodness, you're right.

I mean . . . Zipgun . . . thank goodness they didn't use that!

I P Knightley
33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

US spy plane, one of which went down over the USSR and the pilot was held by the Soviets.

Had he strayed further south, there's a chance that the downed pilot was held by the Balkans.

The filthy, dirty pervert.

There's a story, perhaps made up that when he was talking to her about the new bands he'd been listening to (with their funny sounding, exotic names), Pete Townshend's granny would say,  "The "Who??"

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Bay City Rollers.

👀

The story went they took out a map of the USA and blindly pointed to a spot which happened to be Bay City, Michigan. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

The story went they took out a map of the USA and blindly pointed to a spot which happened to be Bay City, Michigan. 

As a lad, knowing that the Rollers were from Edinburgh, I started to wonder whether we had another nickname besides Auld Reekie or the Athens of the North. I kind of knew the shoreline from Cramond to Newhaven and had been to Porty and Musselburgh enough times to know that there wasn't anything really resembling a bay so I was a confused young pre-teen.

All roads lead to Gorgie
52 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

As a lad, knowing that the Rollers were from Edinburgh, I started to wonder whether we had another nickname besides Auld Reekie or the Athens of the North. I kind of knew the shoreline from Cramond to Newhaven and had been to Porty and Musselburgh enough times to know that there wasn't anything really resembling a bay so I was a confused young pre-teen.

I kind of thought that too. When you look out over the Firth of Forth, especially the wide part across to Kirkcaldy and Leven it does look like a bay. I really thought it referred to San Francisco (The Bay City ) though until I read the story about the random spot on the map.

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Wardie Bay wants a word.

19 minutes ago, leginten said:

Wardie Bay wants a word.

Which reminds me, Jah Wobble got his name from Sid Vicious trying to relay his actual name, John Wardle.

On 22/02/2023 at 23:49, Tazio said:

Boring one. Portishead are named after a small town outside Bristol that the band came from. 

Correct. There is Portishead Radio.

Which many a British Warship used to call up for crew members to make Radphone calls home when quite a long way from the UK.

On 23/02/2023 at 16:40, Tazio said:

As depicted in Speilberg's film The Bridge of Spies.