Why Bands chose their names, some very obscure

All roads lead to Gorgie

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

not quite, guns n roses was the result in the merging of two bands hollywood rose and LA guns

Aha! (As the great Norwegians used to say)

However, do you know whether Axl Rose took the name because he was one of the Hollywood Rose? And if so, was there an LA Gun who took a name with the surname Gun which was an anagram of something slightly rude, like, "Well Hung" or something?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• Tazio

• I P Knightley

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

However, do you know whether Axl Rose took the name because he was one of the Hollywood Rose? And if so, was there an LA Gun who took a name with the surname Gun which was an anagram of something slightly rude, like, "Well Hung" or something?

im not disputing the original two bands had members (hehe members) that did what you said to get their names. 

R.E.M. were named randomly from them choosing an entry in a dictionary at random.  Quite bland for a group who were so socially and politically conscious in their material 

They had considered calling themselves Cans of Piss.

Ohhhkaaaay.

Edited by Victorian

3 hours ago, gorgiegus said:

Think New Order had something to do with the Nazis being supreme, not sure thought. 

It wasn't. They played with a few new names after Joy Division including The Witch Doctors of Zimbabwe, but Barney and Hooky said they would quit if that was chosen so they settled on a shortened version of a newspaper headline Rob Gretton had seen saying "The New Order of the Kampuchean Front.".

It was shortened as seen as too political which obviously went well :laugh:

9 hours ago, martoon said:

Barberella, Hagar.

I think Barbarossa was Hitler's invasion of the USSR. 😊

Much earlier than that, Barbarossa was Holy Roman Emperor for 35 years and took part in the third crusade. He was considered to have been a pretty astute and powerful leader and as a result was held in renown by various movements and regimes, including the Nazis, hence the code name for the invasion being named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Barbarossa

Toploader is apparently the name of a sneaky joint deliberately loaded at the top, whereby the roller sparks up and smokes the majority of the goodies before passing on mainly tobacco.

Marti Caine (one for the teenagers) was named after a random 'pick any word out of a book' type deal which happened to be a gardening book and the random phrase being "tomato cane".

3 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

on a related note i got confirmation today that the aformentioned guns n roses have finally re-arranged their glasgow green gig that got postponed last year

Fitzroy Pointon

Half Man Half Biscuit was apparently a term used by someone known to the band to describe Prince Charles :laugh2:

4 hours ago, Rousset1 said:

😄

😊

3 hours ago, redjambo said:

Much earlier than that, Barbarossa was Holy Roman Emperor for 35 years and took part in the third crusade. He was considered to have been a pretty astute and powerful leader and as a result was held in renown by various movements and regimes, including the Nazis, hence the code name for the invasion being named after him.

...but I'll bow to red's history knowledge. 😊 

Bruce Springsteen (Yeah, that's just his name) band is called the E-Street Band.

Came from the piano players address where his mum used to allow them to practice. it was at: 1105 E Street, Belmar, New Jersey.

il Duce McTarkin
14 hours ago, redjambo said:

Red Beard. Quite the fellow.

20 hours ago, Percival King said:

My favourite band from the 80s, The Men They Couldn't Hang, were named after, erm, a man they couldn't hang, John "Babbacombe" Lee, despite three attempts.

Fairport Convention made a “concept” album about him. Post-Richard Thompson Fairport, though, so definitely second division and commencing the long slide down to non-league.

Procol Harum got their name from somebody’s Siamese cat, according to their lyricist Keith Reid.

At the Wellers breakfast table apparently.

We have had Bread, The Marmalade now let's have The Jam.

No idea if true or not.

21 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

The Beatles was derived from Buddy Holly's Crickets (the insect thing, see?) but they messed with it, the clever lads as "Beat" was "groovy".

Buddy Holly and the Crickets were so named, at least according to apocryphal legend that I can't find a source for at the moment, because their early demos were recorded in a shed in Texas and kept picking up the sound of a cricket chirping in the walls.

22 hours ago, Victorian said:

R.E.M. were named randomly from them choosing an entry in a dictionary at random.  Quite bland for a group who were so socially and politically conscious in their material 

They had considered calling themselves Cans of Piss.

Ohhhkaaaay.

They played a gig at the beginning of the 90's under the pseudonym Bingo Hand Job.

1 hour ago, jim747 said:

They played a gig at the beginning of the 90's under the pseudonym Bingo Hand Job.

The Damned used to play under the alter ego of Naz Nomad & the Nightmares,  partly due to a side project spoof movie soundtrack album and partly to get gig bookings in places that had them banned from venues (general mayhem and destruction). 

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The Damned used to play under the alter ego of Naz Nomad & the Nightmares,  partly due to a side project spoof movie soundtrack album and partly to get gig bookings in places that had them banned from venues (general mayhem and destruction). 

Gay Bikers on Acid were their own support band on a few occasions, their alter egos were called Lesbian Dope Heads on Mopeds.

Sure The Buzzcocks was from the term "its a buzz, cock". As in cock being a northern term of endearment, buzz im guessing drug/bevvy/general euphoria from seeing the pistols

Belle & Sebastian after the cartoon, which i remember watching bored on school hols.

The Jackson 5, ive never worked out

17 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And is slang for a speed freak (amphetamine speed, not velocity) 

Yup was based on their love of speed.

Werent Echo and the Bunnymen named after their synth or something?

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Yup was based on their love of speed.

Echo was the original drummer. Which was a drum machine. 

On 21/02/2023 at 17:25, I P Knightley said:

The "Rose" is for Axl Rose whose name was chosen as an anagram of oral sex.

"Guns" was the surname of someone who left the band before they made it big.

On 21/02/2023 at 17:31, milky_26 said:

not quite, guns n roses was the result in the merging of two bands hollywood rose and LA guns

Rose was his surname from his father at birth, but when his mum remarried he took the new guy's name and grew up as Bill Bailey, believe it or not.

He was in his teens when he found out about his real dad and became Bill Rose, changing to Axl Rose as above.

Just now, TheBigO said:

The story I heard or read, it might have been in Torquoise Days, is that it was a name that meant nothing, no connection to anyone or anything, there were a few others equally non descript.

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Oh, and it was Tracii Guns in LA Guns and Guns n Roses but he got replaced by Pish.

"He"??? Tracii?? He??

The world's gone mad, I tells ya.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

"He"??? Tracii?? He??

The world's gone mad, I tells ya.

Tracii Guns is just his stage name!

His real name's Tracy Ulrich

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Echo was the original drummer. Which was a drum machine. 

Yes! Thats it.

Funny a topic like this brings up stuff you forgot you knew!

Kaiser Chiefs (who can eff off) named after the football club from S Africa due to love of Lucas Radebe!

Isnt Pogues short for kiss my arse in gaelic or something.

One.of my faves but terribly boring reason, Blur were called Seymour (i have a Seymour bootleg!) but their record co hated it and gave them a big list of generic suggestions. They basically stuck a pin in blur. Amazing band name too!!

One ive wondered and had a wee try to find out when really liked From Scotland with love is why King Creosote has his name???

Of course a classic is The Band. They spent ages trying to pick a name when they decided to be more than Bob Dylan’s touring band. Then realised that everyone just always referred to them as “the band” 

That thing you do

Spandau Ballet the name on the wall is one suggestion

The other is Spandau (district of Berlin) had some interesting scenarios inc hosting Rudolf Hess prison.

I always thought Spandau Ballet referenced that and Prisoner exchanges.

But maybe not

That thing you do

Spandau Ballet the name on the wall is one suggestion

The other is Spandau (district of Berlin) had some interesting scenarios in the cold war inc hosting Rudolf Hess prison.

It was also a rail terminal as well. 

I always thought Spandau Ballet referenced that and Prisoner exchanges.

But maybe not

Edited by That thing you do

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

What one and why?

The stuff about surfing and things. They used to use a different name every gig when they first started but had a song called Butthole Surfer and an MC introduced them as The Butthole Surfers as he knew they song and they decided to go with it. 

Just now, Tazio said:

The stuff about surfing and things. They used to use a different name every gig when they first started but had a song called Butthole Surfer and an MC introduced them as The Butthole Surfers as he knew they song and they decided to go with it. 

👍 a great band.

Edited by Dawnrazor