Zander and his defence !!

MR INCREDIBLE

Combination of a more settled defence, and some fantastic keeping from Clarke. 
Gordon is an absolute god for me, but I keep saying it, we conceded so many awful set piece goals because he can’t command the area.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
3 minutes ago, liam11 said:

Combination of a more settled defence, and some fantastic keeping from Clarke. 
Gordon is an absolute god for me, but I keep saying it, we conceded so many awful set piece goals because he can’t command the area.

Not picking on Clark, but he's not exactly covered himself in glory when trying to hold crosses having dropped a number of balls he seemed to have safely reached, so I can't agree that it's an improvement in that area that's brought about this improved shut out count. Clark, although faultless in the rest of his game, hasn't been called upon to make the breath taking saves that Gordon was making in more or less every game before his injury either, so, to me, it's mainly down to a much better defence, well organised and awake where, before, there were lapses in concentration and some slow recoveries - and our defenders recoveries now are sometimes quite amazing. One thing that's less obvious, though, that Clark might be contributing to the shut outs with, is his clearances which tend to go much further, especially when under pressure, than Gordon's do, giving the defenders more time to recover and regain their shape before being called into action again. Clark seldom, if ever, sclaffs a clearance, which can't be said of Gordon.

Its clear that Gordon wasnt controlling the defence and that the defence had lost confidence in him.

The results and statistics and my eyes tell me all I need to know.

Gordon will not get back in this team unless something equally horrible happens to Zander.

I think he's doing incredible for us. We've signed him at a perfect time in his career too. He's probably in his prime right now..  I can't believe we got him for free! :D 

Its possibly an awkward one with Gordon, but perhaps the competition spurs him on further? 

i wish jj was my dad

I think having a more settled back three has made a big difference and Zander is a fair bit more commanding than Craig. We are really lucky to have him. 

10 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Not picking on Clark, but he's not exactly covered himself in glory when trying to hold crosses having dropped a number of balls he seemed to have safely reached, so I can't agree that it's an improvement in that area that's brought about this improved shut out count. Clark, although faultless in the rest of his game, hasn't been called upon to make the breath taking saves that Gordon was making in more or less every game before his injury either, so, to me, it's mainly down to a much better defence, well organised and awake where, before, there were lapses in concentration and some slow recoveries - and our defenders recoveries now are sometimes quite amazing. One thing that's less obvious, though, that Clark might be contributing to the shut outs with, is his clearances which tend to go much further, especially when under pressure, than Gordon's do, giving the defenders more time to recover and regain their shape before being called into action again. Clark seldom, if ever, sclaffs a clearance, which can't be said of Gordon.

Broadly agree with much of your point. 

would suggest that by coming for far more crosses (he seems incredibly proactive in this regard) he is certain to mishandle more of them than Craig (who hardly ever came for any). 

His distribution is significantly better than Craig’s. 

He can’t compete with the impossible saves that Craig makes seem ordinary- but has had a few great double saves that stand out. And he has only made one borderline error I can think off. Craig must have been on 5/6 (all of which cancelled out by worldie saves IMO)

Very lucky to have them both. We have done very well since he came into the team. 

0416AED7-AF9F-473E-9BE2-6E4E49691003.jpeg

91638941-1661-4FE1-BB63-22F51650D3C3.jpeg

3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

We are very lucky to have the two best goalkeepers in the country both playing for our club 

Very true.  Given how recent our keeper choice was  Zlamal or Pereira, its almost unbelievable that we;ve now got the 2 best keepers  in the country !!        I think Toby Sibbick has grown in confidence since he arrived, and seems to be relishing his role in defence.  Alex Cochrane is my player of the year so far - brilliant attitude and ability.

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Quality. He's the best CH we have.

I would argue Rowels and Sibbick have claimed a big stake in that. Halkett has it all to prove again imo. 

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

I would argue Rowels and Sibbick have claimed a big stake in that. Halkett has it all to prove again imo. 

Not for me, he doesn't. Sibbick out as soon as Halkett is fully fit.

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agreed, when you have a proven defensive unit performing well, it's insanity to break them up. No way Halkett should walk back in to the team unless there's injury or suspension as things stand just now.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Agreed, when you have a proven defensive unit performing well, it's insanity to break them up. No way Halkett should walk back in to the team unless there's injury or suspension as things stand just now.

Thank feck you're not the manager.

8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The defence should be 

Sibbick Halkett Rowles

Halkett is best at CCB, Sibbick and Rowles best choices for either side.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Sibbick on this form stays in the team Halkett for Hill would be the move IMO but he’ll have to prove he’s worth it. That’s the beauty of having options

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep. 

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

That’s it. Drop our most consistent defender over the last couple of months. 

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Our best back 3 IMO is Sibbick Halkett Rowles

No way should Sibbick be dropping out. He's went from strength to strength this season and you can see the confidence he's playing with. Would be insane to drop him. 

Didn't think I'd be saying this 6 months ago, but he's proven himself as a good CB at this level. 

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Thank feck you're not the manager.

It is no coincidence that everything improved when we stopped waiting for Craig to be fit and planned to be without him. 

He was our best outright defender prior to injury. 

However, we have manufactured a system that works without him. He needs to play his way in like anyone else. 

Has the bonus that this is not only the best thing for team morale and performance, but also the way that makes it least likely that he will break down immediately. 

But you feel we should just Chuck him straight in?

section s heart
7 hours ago, CMc said:

Broadly agree with much of your point. 

would suggest that by coming for far more crosses (he seems incredibly proactive in this regard) he is certain to mishandle more of them than Craig (who hardly ever came for any). 

His distribution is significantly better than Craig’s. 

He can’t compete with the impossible saves that Craig makes seem ordinary- but has had a few great double saves that stand out. And he has only made one borderline error I can think off. Craig must have been on 5/6 (all of which cancelled out by worldie saves IMO)

Very lucky to have them both. We have done very well since he came into the team. 

0416AED7-AF9F-473E-9BE2-6E4E49691003.jpeg

91638941-1661-4FE1-BB63-22F51650D3C3.jpeg

Zander does drop the odd easy cross, probably hasn't lost a goal because of it, but I like that he's coming for them. 

We also seem to be much more secure with corners and free kicks than we were. The high defensive line at free kicks doesn't fill me with confidence, but with Zander ready to come for them and the defensive line retreating rather than standing still, we've not lost so many silly goals since Zander came in. 

Still love CG, but at least Robbie has a serious decision to make when he's fit.