Turkey Earthquake

hughesie27

7.8 magnitude Earthquake hit Central Turkey overnight and looks to have cause massive destruction.

The above video doesn't seem that bad but towards but towards end you can really tell how powerful it must have been.

284 Confirmed deaths but that will likely rise a lot of course.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• Cade

• Ray Gin

• graygo

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten cities affected apparently, never a good time for this to happen, but it came in the night when most were asleep, and now everything is collapsing around them. BBC reporting "more than 500" dead and expected to rise.

Must be a nightmare being caught in a tight pocket in the rubble while aftershocks continue to cause movement.

Woke me up in Limassol. Triggered a small Tsunami off coast of Protaras. Horrible horrible. Really feel for those poor people. 

The region is known to be susceptible to repeated earthquakes,  one following on from the last along the same fault line that Istanbul sits on.  Not sure if Gaziantep is on the same fault.

No.  From a glance it looks like the East Anatolian Fault,  not the North Anatolian fault.

Edited by Victorian

28 minutes ago, The Internet said:

Another 7.6 one, not an aftershock, has hit about 80 miles north of the epicentre. 

They reckon the last major earthquake on the East Anatolian fault (140 years ago) had aftershocks going on for years.

5 hours ago, Cade said:

Bizarre shouting "God is great" while buildings are falling round about you and thousands are getting crushed to death.

Er, aye. Cheers God. What a guy.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Bizarre shouting "God is great" while buildings are falling round about you and thousands are getting crushed to death.

Aye if it wasn't for the grace of God there would have been 10k dead.

Thank you God for being so kind.

6 hours ago, Cade said:

Just saw that footage on the news. The buildings came down so fast that people would not have had a chance to evacuate. Awful 

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

That phrase is also used to mean "god help/save us" and numerous other things.

It's a generic, multipurpose catch-all term.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Would not be surprised if another zero gets added.  The devastation is immense.  They've only just started.

You could be right, I suspect it may go over 10,000 after looking at before and after images of buildings. They have come crashing down like a house of cards and given it was at night with everyone asleep it's likely to be catastrophic.

The sheer number of pancaked buildings means the death toll here is going to be enormous.

When a building collapses down on its own footprint, there is almost no chance of survival.

They say it broke along around 62 miles of the fault line. Destruction along a 62 mile line. It's staggering.

What also won't have helped is there were "numerous" aftershocks following the main quake with one of them almost as strong as the first.

All that will have settled and compacted the rubble even more tightly. Killing many survivors trapped in there.

4 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

I'm glad my Turkish friends in Icmeler are well out of the way.

Im going to Icmeler in the Summer, apparently a lot of hospitality staff in the area live in the affected area out of season.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Im going to Icmeler in the Summer, apparently a lot of hospitality staff in the area live in the affected area out of season.

Some do but most come from Kurdistan

Doctor FinnBarr
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Oren Apartments, cheap and cheerful but decent reviews.

Not stayed there but know the area well.

Doctor FinnBarr

As much as I feel for the Turkish people who on earth built buildings like that could collapse easily in a zone that was known for earthquakes?

6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

As much as I feel for the Turkish people who on earth built buildings like that could collapse easily in a zone that was known for earthquakes?

That's not exclusive to Turkey.

highlandjambo3
6 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

As much as I feel for the Turkish people who on earth built buildings like that could collapse easily in a zone that was known for earthquakes?

The lowest bidder likely 

I have seen similar types of building destruction from previous quakes in a variety of places, and some of them of a lesser strength as this, 7.8 is major. And I think it may be more far reaching than most, 62 mile long fracture.

Difficult to say what maybe Manhattan island would look like if something of that level came to town. 

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I have seen similar types of building destruction from previous quakes in a variety of places, and some of them of a lesser strength as this, 7.8 is major. And I think it may be more far reaching than most, 62 mile long fracture.

Difficult to say what maybe Manhattan island would look like if something of that level came to town. 

I think it was said to be an especially shallow epicentre at around 11km or miles (can't remember which).  Resulted in worse than average energy at ground level.  

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think it was said to be an especially shallow epicentre at around 11km or miles (can't remember which).  Resulted in worse than average energy at ground level.  

I haven't seen any scientific detail regarding the dynamics of it, i'm guessing some sort of lateral slide rather than an uplift say.

1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

I haven't seen any scientific detail regarding the dynamics of it, i'm guessing some sort of lateral slide rather than an uplift say.

Not sure.  Lateral slip I think.  But apparently the energy was very high at the surface compared to most earthquakes.

9 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

All new buildings in Turkey have to have earthquake certificates to 'prove' they are earthquake proof. No idea what strength of earthquake that goes up to though, and whether all regions comply with this.

10 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Some do but most come from Kurdistan

?? That's not in Turkey, I take it you mean they are mostly Kurds who do make up the majority of hospitality workers in the main tourist areas

The news just gets worse:

At least 20 detainees at a Syrian prison - believed to be jihadists - have escaped after the quake damaged the facility, a source has told Agence France-Presse (AFP).

The prison in the town of Rajo near the Turkish border holds about 2,000 inmates, with about 1,300 of them suspected to be IS fighters, said an official at the jail. It also holds fighters from Kurdish-led forces.

Monday's 7.8-magnitude quake - which was followed by dozens of aftershocks in the region - caused damage including cracked walls and doors.

"[The] inmates started to mutiny and took control of parts of the prison."

"About 20 prisoners fled... who are believed to be Islamic State militants."