Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Gizmo

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Ulysses said:

An interesting article here that sets out some reasons why the techlords want to spook governments into worrying about future developments in AI, while ignoring the real and much more immediate dangers of the technology.

Artificial Intelligence and the Ever-Receding Horizon of the Future (techpolicy.press)

I don't dwell on an existential terminator style risk from AI, though obviously that's not impossible. I think one of the most immediate risks to large scale society is something I have mentioned before, the ability to create convincing material depicting anybody in any inappropriate situation.

It will happen to neighbours the instigator can then watch and even talk with about it. It will happen to work colleagues, it will happen right throughout the society and I can see this being devastating. Millions will believe anything they see on the internet. It's always been that way, grainy photo evolves into alien invasion, yeti and so on.

These inappropriate videos and pictures or whatever will be out there in the wild permanently and will stick to the victims. They might move away to escape it, then somebody in the new location recognises them as the pervert in that video. I think that's immediate and urgent.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't dwell on an existential terminator style risk from AI, though obviously that's not impossible. I think one of the most immediate risks to large scale society is something I have mentioned before, the ability to create convincing material depicting anybody in any inappropriate situation.

It will happen to neighbours the instigator can then watch and even talk with about it. It will happen to work colleagues, it will happen right throughout the society and I can see this being devastating. Millions will believe anything they see on the internet. It's always been that way, grainy photo evolves into alien invasion, yeti and so on.

These inappropriate videos and pictures or whatever will be out there in the wild permanently and will stick to the victims. They might move away to escape it, then somebody in the new location recognises them as the pervert in that video. I think that's immediate and urgent.

That's the kind of stuff the regulators want to regulate.  That's the kind of stuff the techlords want the regulators not to regulate.  Why?  Because there's more money for the techlords in letting ****ers loose with their software to do the kind of things you describe.

That is why we've heard so much shite in recent weeks from the tech firms talking about the fake and fantasy dangers of "AI" rather than its real and immediate dangers. 

12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

That's the kind of stuff the regulators want to regulate.  That's the kind of stuff the techlords want the regulators not to regulate.  Why?  Because there's more money for the techlords in letting ****ers loose with their software to do the kind of things you describe.

That is why we've heard so much shite in recent weeks from the tech firms talking about the fake and fantasy dangers of "AI" rather than its real and immediate dangers. 

If the machines take over I hope it's like the Matrix, hell I would happily be a battery for the chance to leap from building to building and running around walls. Learn how to fly a helicopter in seconds, i'm up for that. Even a date with the girl in the red dress though apparently she doesn't say much. Bring on the AI and the Matrix. Morpheus is a terrorist. 😉

11 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

If the machines take over I hope it's like the Matrix, hell I would happily be a battery for the chance to leap from building to building and running around walls. Learn how to fly a helicopter in seconds, i'm up for that. Even a date with the girl in the red dress though apparently she doesn't say much. Bring on the AI and the Matrix. Morpheus is a terrorist. 😉

Sounds cool.  :laugh: :runaway: 

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Sounds cool.  :laugh: :runaway: 

Did you miss the part where I mentioned she doesn't say much, she would be deadly boring. What are you thinking of? Were you listening to me or looking at the woman in the red dress?

maxresdefault.jpg

Just now, JFK-1 said:

Did you miss the part where I mentioned she doesn't say much, she would be deadly boring. What are you thinking of? Were you listening to me or looking at the woman in the red dress?

maxresdefault.jpg

Actually she looks like quite a good conversationalist, dontcha think?  :whistling: 

12 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Actually she looks like quite a good conversationalist, dontcha think?  :whistling: 

First time I noticed everyone around her is wearing black and white. Hell I must have been looking at the woman in the red dress. 😄

Just now, JFK-1 said:

First time I noticed everyone around her is wearing black and white. Hell I must have been looking at the woman in the red dress. 😄

Likewise.  That's natural intelligence for ya.  :laugh: 

henrysmithsgloves
3 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

maxresdefault.jpg

1119872668_giphy(3).gif.091d43c95845c80be5ed242e37e857e5.gif

20 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

Nu-huh you don't. It's only the free and the few rescued from the Matrix that can harness it's power fully like instant learning etc. 

It's why Cypher wanted to be completely restored as someone important, otherwise he'd just be a battery and another drone stuck in the system. 

This is an interesting take, a little sideways from the usual "oh **** Skynet" talk.

4 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

This is an interesting take, a little sideways from the usual "oh **** Skynet" talk.

In a nutshell, what does he say?

(Too lazy to spend 4-5 minutes listening to it.)

7 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

In a nutshell, what does he say?

(Too lazy to spend 4-5 minutes listening to it.)

It's more how he looks at it, honestly worth the 5 minutes despite the zoomer video ratio. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

It's more how he looks at it, honestly worth the 5 minutes despite the zoomer video ratio. 

Some day.  Maybe.  :thumbsup: 

2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Some day.  Maybe.  :thumbsup: 

I liked it, an interesting prelude going back to the Greeks and their treatment of the Gods, right through to a prediction that AI will replace us. But then what's new, that's not an uncommon view. Fry is into Greek mythology and I always was too. 

10 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I liked it, an interesting prelude going back to the Greeks and their treatment of the Gods, right through to a prediction that AI will replace us. But then what's new, that's not an uncommon view. Fry is into Greek mythology and I always was too. 

I know, and I quite like Fry.  I highlighted a really important word in your post, by the way.

Used bard earlier today to listen to music then write out a composition for the kids brass band.  Would normally take hours to get everything sorted out for each instrument but bard was able to do it in seconds.  

One quick export into notational format later and jobs done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

An illustration of how quickly AI image generation is improving. Image > video

Also another wee example, from a wave shot I took at St Abbs.
image.thumb.jpeg.eb47a7e611f1fc82a7a48c91f5807374.jpeg

AI was used to animate it, results here: https://imgur.com/a/PaBsNOP (couldn't get it to embed directly) - with zero input other than the base image. It's not perfect by any means but still quite impressive. 

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

AI was used to animate it, results here: https://imgur.com/a/PaBsNOP (couldn't get it to embed directly) - with zero input other than the base image. It's not perfect by any means but still quite impressive. 

Very impressive.   

Then you see stories like this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66348332

My guess is that  AI will mimic the internet itself in terms of how it develops and gets used.  80% benign & useful .... 20% criminal, dangerous  and downright sick.   The 20% can result in ruination for some unlucky folk.

6 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Very impressive.   

Then you see stories like this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66348332

My guess is that  AI will mimic the internet itself in terms of how it develops and gets used.  80% benign & useful .... 20% criminal, dangerous  and downright sick.   The 20% can result in ruination for some unlucky folk.

I'm wondering how post-reality (ie knowing true reality from fake) is going to play out. Some of this stuff will in fairly short time become nigh indistinguishable from base reality. 

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Incredible

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I'm wondering how post-reality (ie knowing true reality from fake) is going to play out. Some of this stuff will in fairly short time become nigh indistinguishable from base reality. 

Me too.  Generating film scenes without cameras is all well and fine (although the actors, writers  and production folk don't agree !!) - but AI seems like a gift to criminals & dangerous wrong'uns.   We've already seen fake messages come out the "mouths" of Zelensky and Martin Lewis - and as you say, the videos are almost indistinguishable from reality.  

Nightmare scenario would be if criminals manage to install AI bots into institutions like banks and HMRC and big retail companies holding our bank & personal  details.  Stealing secure data and using ransome-ware attacks are bad enough at the moment,  but imagine how much worse it could get if a cleverly programmed  AI bot  can somehow be installed on to their servers.

JudyJudyJudy
19 hours ago, Gizmo said:

impressive. well done 

Artificial Intelligence police van detects drivers using mobile phones

A police spy camera van using Artificial Intelligence (AI) has detected hundreds of people using mobile phones at the wheel or not wearing seat belts.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary and Thames Valley Police carried out the operation from 17 to 21 July, targeting commercial vehicles.

It took place on the A34 and the A303.

Simon Gomer, head of the safer roads unit, said the technology showed how prolific the offences were.

The AI-equipped van uses two cameras to catch the footage.

Full BBC article

_130527815_mediaitem130527813.jpg