Gizmo

So, the genie is well out of the box now. The speed at which AI tools are developing, iterating and improving is pretty much exponential.

ChatGPT can write resumés, legal documents,  write story outlines, essays, songs (pretty basic but it will try ape the style of writing of different artists, but currently constrained to a simple verse chorus verse bridge chorus structure), generate code, write blog posts, etc etc. 

It knows it's not aware and is a neural network language model so whilst I wasn't able to get it to explicitly sit any Turing tests (designed to see if an AI or computer can fool a human into believing they are conversing with another real person), it did fulfill one test that Turing devised - asking it to write a sonnet about the forth bridge:

The Forth Bridge spans o'er the firth with grace,
A steel giant, forged in Scotland's pride,
With towers reaching for the sky's embrace,
It stands a symbol, never to subside.

The cantilever design, a feat so bold,
A challenge for the engineers of old,
But with hard work and determination told,
They built a bridge that will forever hold.

The reddish paint, that rustic hue so grand,
A beacon for the ships that pass below,
A sight to see from shore on either hand,
A marvel of engineering aglow.

The Forth Bridge, a work of art, a wonder,
A lasting legacy, a bridge that will never sunder.

Not going to win any awards but 
Enterprise versions are coming, the current open version has been nobbled to a degree (it would answer anything initially, for example providing bomb recipes) but the next iteration will increase from a dataset of 175 billion parameters to 100 trillion.

Then we have AI art which I've been playing with for a wee while. 

It's come from this quality of image, which I had it generate (the prompts are entered in English not code) in October:

283670431_swordfighting.jpg.b9ec520db5878fc1e75306923bcb7274.jpg

To this image which I generated last night:

Woman2.thumb.jpg.772b6facde9fe9afd65a4f91d7687c7b.jpg

Now you can still tell it's AI generated, for now, but not if you are casually viewing imo - but that's a big leap in 3 months. 

Anyway, what I was wanting to discuss was really the exponential nature of these tools . Ray Kurzweil (futurist, creator of OCR) predicted that technologies like AI, nanotechnology, robotics will coalesce and expand the pace of technological development beyond anything we could anticipate. I don't know that we can predict where this will take us and technology is almost always a double-edged sword, but he has some very interesting ideas - for one, something that drives Musk's Neuralink is the idea of not letting ourselves become the second most cognitively advanced species on the planet and borrowing or augmenting our own intellectual capabilities to keep up, lest we be left behind. These models could revolutionise medicine but we could end up in an era where we cannot easily understand the solution it produces (see this article on how AI image processors identifies a lifeboat as a dog, as an example of how weird it is: https://slate.com/technology/2019/11/image-recognition-systems-adversarial-attacks.html).

I honestly feel like we've just opened Pandora's box and that the implications are vast and I'm wondering what the good netizens of KB are predicting this could lead to?

---------

Bonus ChatGPT song  - frankly terrible , below. It still has a way to go but the speed that it will improve is going to shock...

Come on Hearts, let's give it our all
We'll score a goal and hear the crowd call

With maroon and white, we'll paint the town
We'll bring the trophy back to Tynecastle ground

Chorus: Hearts, Hearts, we're the best
We'll give it our all, we'll pass the test
With passion in our hearts, we'll never fall
We'll bring the glory back to Tynecastle

From the stands, we'll sing and cheer
Our love for Hearts, will never disappear
We'll fight till the end, with all our might
We'll show the world, that the hibs are shite*

Chorus: Hearts, Hearts, we're the best
We'll give it our all, we'll pass the test
With passion in our hearts, we'll never fall
We'll bring the glory back to Tynecastle

With every game, we'll show our pride
For the maroon and white, we'll always abide
We'll stand together, through thick and thin
For the Heart of Midlothian, we'll always win

*small editorial addition

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Gizmo

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bonus post some might find useful.

Some very handy AI tools:

Vocal remover and isolator tool

Story-telling / Powerpoint generator

AI paraphrasing tool

Simple image animator tool

AI photo upscaler/enhancer

Create product promos/visuals from english word prompts

These tools are AI powered and will take the work out of things like creating power point presentations, upscaling photos etc.

Not that I'm suggesting it, but the paraphrasing tool can help get around any style/watermarking that sees ChatGPT output be filtered out by recruiters or teacher's marking essays etc. 

7 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Lol but we did invent flying cars. Just we called them helicopters. 

😄

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

AI paraphrasing tool

These tools are AI powered and will take the work out of things like creating power point presentations, upscaling photos etc.

Not that I'm suggesting it, but the paraphrasing tool can help get around any style/watermarking that sees ChatGPT output be filtered out by recruiters or teacher's marking essays etc. 

Interesting (and slightly scary) - I can see you're heavily into exploring all this new-fangled stuff.

It seems there's an inherent danger that on-board AI  devices become mainstream eventually, having overcome many years of scepticism and fear by humans - to such an extent that we simply accept their flaws/mistakes and susceptibility to malicious tampering  simply because the genie can't be put back in the bottle (as you say).     A bit like the internet itself - we tolerate & accept the risk of online fraud/grooming/scams/hate/disinformation because most aspects of our economic lives demand that we adopt and use it, and therefore expose ourselves to those serious risks.

Huge impact on the Law, I'd imagine.   Example - a patient dies during an operation being performed by an AI "thing".  The family tries to sue the hospital for negligence etc.  Would professional indemnity insurance cover it ?  You can't sue a device, so do you sue the manufacturer ? Or the surgical staff who implemented it and input the parameters ?   

Same with criminal court cases where AI has been allowed to groom a  suspect and store evidence along the way ?   Can the Law trust evidence gathered by a non-human ?  And what do we do when AI starts being used by criminals ?

Double-edged sword, as you say.

41 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Tell us more about how your Friday nights involve pictures of scantily clad cartoons.

That's one hell of a detailed cartoon :P My Friday night mostly involved the same as most people on here I would expect. 

But if you find the content distracting, here's another example of the generator's capabilities from two different models - the most recent model (Photoreal 2.0) is a real leap imo though I would say that Stable Diffusion has produced a more film camera feel in that image. These are not composites where it picks bits of photos from its dataset to make a whole image, this is what it decides to create from the prompt provided and the weighting in the prompt. 

Stable Diffusion 1.5
Highly_detailed_photography_Yellowstone_mountain____aJ02t9fPyYJ2__realesrgan_1-0-x4plus__dreamlike-art.thumb.jpg.05d13fad63e1fda666d375fc9209268a.jpg

Dreamlike Photoreal 2.0
yellowstone3.thumb.jpg.c76e72d9022723b0bcf4b3582a665277.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

19 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Maniacs. Have these people not seen Terminator? 

I'm pretty sure Musk simply got rich enough to get irritated that the future didn't resemble a mash-up of Blade Runner, Robocop & Total Recall and is actively trying to bring them to fruition!

Even the folk who have watched The Terminator still make this kind of stuff:

More talk about attaching sniper rifles to robots | TechCrunch

Flamethrower drone incinerates wasp nests in China | The Independent

What if Skynet turns out to be Roko's Basilisk and turns on those who didn't work on bringing it into existence sooner...😲

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

That's one hell of a detailed cartoon :P My Friday night mostly involved the same as most people on here I would expect. 

But if you find the content distracting, here's another example of the generator's capabilities from two different models - the most recent model (Photoreal 2.0) is a real leap imo though I would say that Stable Diffusion has produced a more film camera feel in that image. These are not composites where it picks bits of photos from its dataset to make a whole image, this is what it decides to create from the prompt provided and the weighting in the prompt. 

Stable Diffusion 1.5
Highly_detailed_photography_Yellowstone_mountain____aJ02t9fPyYJ2__realesrgan_1-0-x4plus__dreamlike-art.thumb.jpg.05d13fad63e1fda666d375fc9209268a.jpg

Dreamlike Photoreal 2.0
yellowstone3.thumb.jpg.c76e72d9022723b0bcf4b3582a665277.jpg

BORING!!! Tell us more about the scantily clad women.

33 minutes ago, gjcc said:

@Gizmo patiently awaiting the 3D printers to evolve too. :lol: 

Actually I thought about the 3D aspects too. 😉

But there are worrisome aspects to this technology, what you see here is nothing in comparison to the cutting edge which will be closely guarded and financed by the military.

If you have a completely autonomous and close to 100% reliable AI you're a military superpower if no one else has it. We're probably seeing the last generation of piloted fighter aircraft, the next generation will be AI piloted.

This will mean they will fly even faster and execute sharper maneuvers at speed a human body couldn't withstand. They will react faster than a human pilot would to any new data, almost instantly in fact. How long does it take a computer to decide the best course of action in any situation? Milliseconds? Faster?

Same out on the battlefield, AI controlled robots scrapping it out. Intelligence gathering, AI can compute data from all over a battle field live and give you the best plan of action in real time.

Whoever gets the best AI first is the winner.   

35 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Gizmo wanting to do his own version of weird science.

Haha. There are very interesting implications to AI, when you consider exactly what you say and expand it to advanced 3D printing, robotics and AI all merging into what will essentially produce a very human like robot that could seriously affect human-human relationships. 

AI partners won't nag, will learn your personality and what works for you etc. No financial jeapordy if a relationship fails, for example. Of course, you could argue that a perfect companion is false and might not end up satisfying in the long term but it will happen, nonetheless. 

I told the missus last night that women could become obsolete within a decade, oops. 

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I like where this thread is going.

Gizzie, over to you. Can we give you our preferences and you design some 'research' material females for us to 'evaluate'? PM if needed.

You have to be very, very careful what you wish for. Get the prompting wrong or not knowing what you are doing and you get people creating stuff like this: 

Or this:

XxI8MzTuUPSg0E2Z9Zm5gB8uY6H4mO5wm0qAilwWqOSG07D2aOli8UfTa8fF0DJpmm6hfrCZAnOjlm7zTop7NKsW8I5GvJAK4pRPprZKJGsmdDF092Vv-wvioq3L5hoZP9vIuaKQ6o1S4JQAeXMS7sYLFsa82RROV7v78l8EL-dffhYD2ZvUFe8BVw

You can also unearth very strange, repeatable results, like Loab, who is considered the first cryptid generated in the AI latent space. Some of these images veer towards the unsettling/borderline gore. 

a variant of the woman from the first image on what appears to be an album cover with the word "Loab" on it. She appears to be holding flowers, leaves, or feathers of some kind, on a textured, green backdrop.

This was the result of two iterations of weighted negatives, first was -Marlon Brando (sorry JJJ), then the second was negative weighting on the image the first prompt generated.

Thread here: 

henrysmithsgloves
5 hours ago, gjcc said:

@Gizmo patiently awaiting the 3D printers to evolve too. :lol: 

Knowing my luck , would try to print one on the left and end up with one on right🥺

download.jpeg

Fitzroy Pointon
17 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

3A6D9B05-151F-4E2C-B465-A5D83490C04C.jpeg

It's something you don't really hear people say these days, "in the future there will be.....". It's like technology has come so far there's nothing we can imagine anymore. 

henrysmithsgloves
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Done worse.

Not my CoT, but I can see why playing with these images could be appealing. Is it AI because you're asking it to generate the images, as opposed to using a drawing program to do so?

Gary O'Connor

too good looking to be that hobbo😁

henrysmithsgloves
12 hours ago, Tazio said:

Maniacs. Have these people not seen Terminator? 

Looking at his AI women. I think he's been watching the sperminator😉

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Done worse.

Not my CoT, but I can see why playing with these images could be appealing. Is it AI because you're asking it to generate the images, as opposed to using a drawing program to do so?

The images are generated by an AI program trained on a dataset of images that will generate an image from the text prompts you feed it. These are generated rather than composited from a catalog of actual images, which is what makes it interesting to me. 

To get technical, these are diffusion models which learn the latent structure of the dataset by seeing how the data points diffuse through the latent space. When you request an image with text, the neural network trained AI will start with randomised noise as the base image and then generate the requested image from that, almost like reverse entropy which in itself is kinda strange. How exactly it does this is beyond my ability to understand/comprehend, but I know that it's trained to diffuse actual images into noise and can then kinda reverse it. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Haha. There are very interesting implications to AI, when you consider exactly what you say and expand it to advanced 3D printing, robotics and AI all merging into what will essentially produce a very human like robot that could seriously affect human-human relationships. 

AI partners won't nag, will learn your personality and what works for you etc. No financial jeapordy if a relationship fails, for example. Of course, you could argue that a perfect companion is false and might not end up satisfying in the long term but it will happen, nonetheless. 

I told the missus last night that women could become obsolete within a decade, oops. 

You have to be very, very careful what you wish for. Get the prompting wrong or not knowing what you are doing and you get people creating stuff like this: 

Or this:

XxI8MzTuUPSg0E2Z9Zm5gB8uY6H4mO5wm0qAilwWqOSG07D2aOli8UfTa8fF0DJpmm6hfrCZAnOjlm7zTop7NKsW8I5GvJAK4pRPprZKJGsmdDF092Vv-wvioq3L5hoZP9vIuaKQ6o1S4JQAeXMS7sYLFsa82RROV7v78l8EL-dffhYD2ZvUFe8BVw

You can also unearth very strange, repeatable results, like Loab, who is considered the first cryptid generated in the AI latent space. Some of these images veer towards the unsettling/borderline gore. 

a variant of the woman from the first image on what appears to be an album cover with the word "Loab" on it. She appears to be holding flowers, leaves, or feathers of some kind, on a textured, green backdrop.

This was the result of two iterations of weighted negatives, first was -Marlon Brando (sorry JJJ), then the second was negative weighting on the image the first prompt generated.

Thread here: 

Oh no 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

A small gallery of some of my favourite generated images

soldier_facing_a_mecha_robot_in_a_futuristic_cit__1524496990__lAwWcDPkBEUY__sd_dreamlike-diffusion-1-0__dreamlike-art.jpg

Alyx_Vance_escaping_from_City_17_on_a_train_with__1693315098__T8YWy2CUuLZq__sd_dreamlike-diffusion-1-0__dreamlike-art.jpg

A_photographer_in_east_lothian_countryside_Scotl__1467834024__qkdWdC3BuPPH__sd_dreamlike-diffusion-1-0__dreamlike-art.jpg

A_tent_camping_next_to_a_lake_at_night_with_moun__52787__lTUGdE7KBOza__sd_dreamlike-diffusion-1-0__dreamlike-art.jpg

blade_runner_female_android_cyberpunk_rain_shoot__16079__BTgbS6svmP0A__sd_1-4__dreamlike-art.jpg

Very impressive 

49 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

It's something you don't really hear people say these days, "in the future there will be.....". It's like technology has come so far there's nothing we can imagine anymore. 

That’s true . The future is here now 

In the not too distant future, swathes of jobs are going be made redundant and replaced by AI. It's a bit of a concern. There aren't going to be enough jobs for the population.

fabienleclerq
On 15/01/2023 at 14:48, Ray Gin said:

In the not too distant future, swathes of jobs are going be made redundant and replaced by AI. It's a bit of a concern. There aren't going to be enough jobs for the population.

Yip.

We are getting rid of loads of jobs and the money is staying with the richest. I worry where my kids will work.

Is it artificial though?

Perhaps the planet is the being and its best chance of seeding is what we are evolving to.

Things will move faster now.

That's my view at this moment.

It's a privilege to be part of it all.

Especially the FiH bit and my children.

Is it artifical? I'd say yes, though you could definitely look at a philosophical view that the universe is a gigantic calculation machine, and that since we can code our DNA and biology, that everything is code therefor it's the end goal for evolution.

When humans inevitably merge with machinery, or at least become cyberneticly augmented, the line blurs even more. It's odd to be on the precipice of a paradigm shift and see it coming. 

There are major downsides to the AI we have even now. 

One is that the internet is being taken over by bots. A lot are very obvious, at the moment, with poor conversational abilities that reveal them quickly as just a sales bot or a political bot repeating the same obvious rhetoric.

There's a but though, and that is the natural language processors are getting really quite convincing, image generators can generate people who never existed and deep fake can animate them with an AI generated voice. 

This number could swamp the internet to the point it is much harder to make connections with real humans. And as they can massively outnumber real human presence on the www, they can push agendas and trends much faster or be used for, predictably, nefarious ends.

I'd say we will know we are there when the bots can convincingly and routinely catfish humans, as that will no doubt be one of their first applications.

Even if we get a handle on them using techniques to spot signatures, link backs and other tell-tale indicators using software to check and block, we still end up in a weird place fighting an endless war against bots. Facebook can attest to this with some good data, by looking at how many fake accounts they clean up per quarter (source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/1013474/facebook-fake-account-removal-quarter/)

image.png.b43bcb705f1738bd1b64d985257a5781.png

This is in billions!

postage-stamp
On 14/01/2023 at 18:49, Gizmo said:

AI paraphrasing tool

Is there one that can remove other instruments,,such as keyboard parts of a song?  Always harder to hear them

John Gentleman
On 15/01/2023 at 05:10, Gizmo said:

The Forth Bridge spans o'er the firth with grace,
A steel giant, forged in Scotland's pride,
With towers reaching for the sky's embrace,
It stands a symbol, never to subside.

The cantilever design, a feat so bold,
A challenge for the engineers of old,
But with hard work and determination told,
They built a bridge that will forever hold.

The reddish paint, that rustic hue so grand,
A beacon for the ships that pass below,
A sight to see from shore on either hand,
A marvel of engineering aglow.

The Forth Bridge, a work of art, a wonder,
A lasting legacy, a bridge that will never sunder.

William Topaz McGonagall would be pwoud. So very pwound.....

19 minutes ago, Stuart McNeill said:

how did you start learning about this?

what's a good starting point that you would recommend?

I think I started getting interested specifically when we had a good chat with a couple of like-minded mates about just how far 3D printers could go, when they were relatively new and we bought some kits to build. That and a general interest in AI, raspberry PIs, computing etc. 

Then I read some books and watched some videos from Michio Kaku and Ray Kurzweil, when I learned some of them were part of the experts conosulted to predict the future technologies for the film Minority Report. 

A good starting point now might be youtube tbf, so much good material: 

6 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's a tad depressing. Humans are very good at creating and developing technologies, only to use them to make other humans suffer or bend to their will. 

Something rotten at the heart of our species.

I just saw a photo of the litter at the top of Mt Everest a day after they found a beer bottle at the bottom of the deepest ocean. 

We are trashing the planet and we might be at the tipping point. Of course, guess what’s going to save us…bioengineering and AI.

If there’s a great barrier to becoming an advanced, enlightened civilisation, it might be that technological development in tandem with population growth inevitably acts as a filter as the fledgling species takes itself out of existence.

Edited by Gizmo

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I just saw a photo of the litter at the top of Mt Everest a day after they found a beer bottle at the bottom of the deepest ocean. 

We are trashing the planet and we might be at the tipping point. Of course, guess what’s going to save us…bioengineering and AI.

If there’s a great barrier to becoming an advanced, enlightened civilisation, it might be that technological development in tandem with population growth inevitably acts as a filter as the fledgling species takes itself out of existence.

The planet will be fine without us, even if a bit messed up.  Anyone who thinks humans are an essential element of the planet is utterly deluded. 

As for the bioengineering and AI saving us, that's just long-termist self-serving techbro stuff.  That sort of thinking almost certainly won't save anybody, and you can be 100% certain it won't save "us".

36 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The planet will be fine without us, even if a bit messed up.  Anyone who thinks humans are an essential element of the planet is utterly deluded. 

As for the bioengineering and AI saving us, that's just long-termist self-serving techbro stuff.  That sort of thinking almost certainly won't save anybody, and you can be 100% certain it won't save "us".

For sure. Imo, we will need (i) a change in society so that we actually start becoming a responsible, caring and level-headed species, (ii) a way off this planet, in order to survive. The first isn't going to happen and even if the second one does, the fact that (i) isn't true means that any "escape" off this planet will be doomed to failure anyway. We really are own our worst enemy as a species. Quite frankly, if I were an alien species tasked with keeping things ticking over in our corner of the galaxy, I would make sure that we humans never make it off this planet, as we stand as a species currently anyhow. But hey, we had our moment in the sun, we had some fun, we kicked some ass, no-one will remember us apart from one or two far-flung very niche galactic historians, and the universe will just keep on going.

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Did you read my post fully before replying Uly? I sounds like you maybe think I was proposing we should use AI/nantech/bio-engineering to save us.

I'm not, apols if misinterpreting your reply, but knowing humanity's follies we'll dig ourselves out the crap at the last possible minute using a technique of sorts; probably increasing the amount of crap in the atmosphere* to block/return slightly more photons back into space to buy us time for fusion** or off-planet energy generation , rather than putting the work in now, like an overweight person who wants a magic "thining" pill rather than facing the hard yards. 

I'm quite concerned about the law of unexpected consequences biting us hard if we go down that route and grey-goo ourselves out of existence. And whilst the planet would indeed be fine without us as it's never needed us, the Universe may be diminished if there's no other intelligent, conscious beings out there or there is indeed a great barrier where all developing civilizations hit a barrier of sorts.

AI present another challenge in that it may propose solutions to all our ills that are beyond our understanding. Imagine having a solution that you cannot put to use without it being almost an act of faith. Times will be weird when we are way behind in 2nd place in terms of cognitive ability. 

* Already started, no idea why this isn't regulated and banned! https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/12/24/1066041/a-startup-says-its-begun-releasing-particles-into-the-atmosphere-in-an-effort-to-tweak-the-climate/
**coming in 10 years, or your money back ;)

Meant to say, the concept of a "great barrier" meaning technological development in line with civilization/economic growth strips a planet of resources and pollutes it beyond survivability or they take themselves out by war rather than developing beyond those mentalities etc. 

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

:sweeet:

Dem truth bullets...

On the rest of your post, I'm maybe a wee bit more optimistic, but don't ask me to show my workings.

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Did you read my post fully before replying Uly? I sounds like you maybe think I was proposing we should use AI/nantech/bio-engineering to save us.

I'm not, apols if misinterpreting your reply, but knowing humanity's follies we'll dig ourselves out the crap at the last possible minute using a technique of sorts; probably increasing the amount of crap in the atmosphere* to block/return slightly more photons back into space to buy us time for fusion** or off-planet energy generation , rather than putting the work in now, like an overweight person who wants a magic "thining" pill rather than facing the hard yards. 

I'm quite concerned about the law of unexpected consequences biting us hard if we go down that route and grey-goo ourselves out of existence. And whilst the planet would indeed be fine without us as it's never needed us, the Universe may be diminished if there's no other intelligent, conscious beings out there or there is indeed a great barrier where all developing civilizations hit a barrier of sorts.

AI present another challenge in that it may propose solutions to all our ills that are beyond our understanding. Imagine having a solution that you cannot put to use without it being almost an act of faith. Times will be weird when we are way behind in 2nd place in terms of cognitive ability. 

* Already started, no idea why this isn't regulated and banned! https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/12/24/1066041/a-startup-says-its-begun-releasing-particles-into-the-atmosphere-in-an-effort-to-tweak-the-climate/
**coming in 10 years, or your money back ;)

No, I think I was going along with you.  Unfortunately, there are some people who think that the likes of bioengineering and/or AI will "save us", or they believe some of the various bits of mumbo jumbo that go to make up "long-termist" thinking.   Many of them are tech fetishists, and in turn quite a percentage of those are social misfits.  Many of them are not just techbros, but rich techbros, and what they actually mean by "us" is "me and my pals, but not including you suckers".  All in all, they wouldn't be the kind of people you could trust, IMHO.

Would the universe be diminished without humanity in it?  Here's a thought.  If there are other intelligent, conscious beings out there and humanity goes out of existence, whether or not the universe will have been diminished will be a matter of judgement and analysis - their judgement and analysis, since humanity won't be around to offer an analysis.  On the other hand, if there are no other intelligent, conscious beings out there and humanity goes out of existence, the universe won't be diminished, because that would be a matter of judgement and analysis - and without intelligent, conscious beings there can be no such thing as judgement and analysis.

That thing you do

Chat GPT passed its medical examiner exam and passed the bar for law in tests last week.

Education is going to change big time soon. Chat GPT can do coursework in a heartbeat.

Im using IMGNAI to create AI generated imagery for a Metaverse thing im doing.

AI is about the pass the Turing test and pass the line of no return imo

30 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Chat GPT passed its medical examiner exam and passed the bar for law in tests last week.

Education is going to change big time soon. Chat GPT can do coursework in a heartbeat.

Im using IMGNAI to create AI generated imagery for a Metaverse thing im doing.

AI is about the pass the Turing test and pass the line of no return imo

ChatGPT is cute in that if you specifically ask it about the Turin Test it's been coded not to answer them, but these language models will definitely be used with AI image generation and AI voices to create convincing humans - what's the betting they used to catfish unwitting dudes! As always, porn will harness new tech as soon as they can use it to make £££. 

Which model(s) do your AI generations use? 

14 hours ago, Ulysses said:

No, I think I was going along with you.  Unfortunately, there are some people who think that the likes of bioengineering and/or AI will "save us", or they believe some of the various bits of mumbo jumbo that go to make up "long-termist" thinking.   Many of them are tech fetishists, and in turn quite a percentage of those are social misfits.  Many of them are not just techbros, but rich techbros, and what they actually mean by "us" is "me and my pals, but not including you suckers".  All in all, they wouldn't be the kind of people you could trust, IMHO.

Would the universe be diminished without humanity in it?  Here's a thought.  If there are other intelligent, conscious beings out there and humanity goes out of existence, whether or not the universe will have been diminished will be a matter of judgement and analysis - their judgement and analysis, since humanity won't be around to offer an analysis.  On the other hand, if there are no other intelligent, conscious beings out there and humanity goes out of existence, the universe won't be diminished, because that would be a matter of judgement and analysis - and without intelligent, conscious beings there can be no such thing as judgement and analysis.

Glad we see the pitfalls of using tech without care to sort our mess. I stopped reading Bill Gates book when he proposed atmospheric seeding as a solution to climate issues. 

Interesting point that the universe is ambivalent to our fate, and it definitely is. Perhaps I liked Sagan's quote about us 'being the universe trying to understand itself' but maybe I've over romanticed that. 

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Glad we see the pitfalls of using tech without care to sort our mess. I stopped reading Bill Gates book when he proposed atmospheric seeding as a solution to climate issues. 

Interesting point that the universe is ambivalent to our fate, and it definitely is. Perhaps I liked Sagan's quote about us 'being the universe trying to understand itself' but maybe I've over romanticed that. 

I doubt the universe has any view regarding the fate of anything in it.  WADR to Sagan, I think the notion of us being the universe trying to understand itself is something of an anthropocentric view.  Humans seek meaning, but the universe doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...