What did the ref blow for before the penalty?

Heres Rixxy

The linesman didn't give offside so it would be a strange call from his angle to call offside, so what did he blow for? Did he give a foul against Sibbick? 

Thats my thinking as to why it took so long as well. Process being 1) was it a foul, 2) no, so was it offside, 3) yes, so was it a handball before offside. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• part_time_jambo

• DETTY29

• TheBigO

• PapaShango

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clancy guessed that something had happened. He had absolutely no idea. Thankfully, despite taking too long, VAR got it right.

Edited by db211833

Sibbick was offside before he netted,penalty incident was a faze earlier. 

All un all a good decision although it took to long to get there 

Silvery_Moon

Yep. Was checked for offside so goal was ruled out. However was then brought back to the handball just before  Sibbick got the ball.

I know it was offside but the linesman never flagged, and Claney had blown before the ball was in the net. I don't think he blew for an offside himself. 

RustyRightPeg

The lino didn’t give offside so he didn’t blow for it. If I was to guess, the ref guessed something happened because someone was probably on the floor at some point, always seems to be an automatic free kick against the attacking team for some reason.

RustyRightPeg
13 minutes ago, Jeff said:

They are actually worse with VAR somehow 

Just highlights how much they miss really

indianajones
7 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

I think we've had pretty good change out of VAR since it's arrival.

About time as well... its been brutal for years without it for us. Mind Jamie Hamill got sent of for taking the ball square in the napper? 

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg

To be honest I thought the clown had blown before he had scored. When he blew I didn’t believe he knew there was a handball.

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Just highlights how much they miss really

And guess

Even at the screen you can see them trying to work it out

scott herbertson
2 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

I know it was offside but the linesman never flagged, and Claney had blown before the ball was in the net. I don't think he blew for an offside himself. 

possibly saw the handball although he seemed to be giving a foul to Hibs. Maybe blew in frustration cause Hearts had the ball in the net

6 minutes ago, Heres Rixxy said:

Exactly what I posted in match thread.

Clancy gave a free kick, after initially awarding the goal.

Assistant ran back thinking the goal was awarded.

Clancy ****ed up and var corrected him.

Edited by Tommy Brown

He definitely blew for a non existent foul, and did so before the ball was in the net. Was saved by the fact it was offside, and there was a handball. 

The Hogfather
21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

He blew for offside because Sibbick was potentially offside. He never saw the handball.

Flag didn’t go up, he gave a foul in the box. No idea what for though. 

1 minute ago, karipidis said:

He definitely blew for a non existent foul, and did so before the ball was in the net. Was saved by the fact it was offside, and there was a handball. 

Will need to view again tonight.

But he turned as if awarding the goal and turned back changing his mind.

I never noticed him blowing before the ball hit the net.

6 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Game is 30 mins in on Alba just now

A_A wehatethehibs

Absolutely itching to rule out a Hearts goal and gutted to be forced into giving us a pen. Took 3 full minutes for him to look at the screen himself. Typical GFA shite but in fairness the correct decision was reached. 

4 minutes additional time awarded in first half as well. I know it’s just a small thing but sometimes I wonder if they try and get anything right. 

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Just watched on Alba. Not sure what the offside was for. Should have been a goal first time, without the VAR.

Me too? Sibbick was a good half yard offside when the shot came in, looked clear enough to me. We’ll both have another look when the highlights are up although BBC clowns might not show it as they like to gloss over how tin pot our referees are. 

Hungry hippo
1 minute ago, karipidis said:

It was offside. 

It was but ref seems to have initially given it for a foul that didn't happen. Linesman definitely didn't flag and was far too tight for the ref to overrule without VAR. I think the ref saw a stramash and gave a foul to the defending team as the safe option.

34 minutes ago, Imaman said:

He blew the whistle just because 😏 

Clancy hadn't a clue what had happened and that was the easy way out.  That's been a typical feature of Scottish refereeing for as long as I can remember.  Despite the lengthy delay, which was bizarre since the camera shot from behind the goal clearly showed Bushiri handling the ball from Devlin's shot before Sibbick touched the ball, VAR finally got Clancy's incorrect decision corrected.

Clancy is one of the worst refs I have ever seen. How it took him so long to go and confirm it was handball was staggering. It was so obvious. And he must have been in the way of play about 10 times during the game. Terrible 

1 hour ago, ramrod said:

Sibbick was offside before he netted,penalty incident was a faze earlier. 

All un all a good decision although it took to long to get there 

The ball came off a H1b5 player before Sibbick hit it… how is he offside? 

I wondered if there was a shirt pull from Cochrane at the cross, either way, correct decision reached.  Surprised there was no red card though as it was going in.

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

It all worked out in the end. VAR has been a bonus for us so far imo. 

It did thankfully, but should Rocky have been sent off for saving a goal bound shot virtually in. the line?

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

About time as well... its been brutal for years without it for us. Mind Jamie Hamill got sent of for taking the ball square in the napper? 

Inverness game?  We were right behind him when it happened.  Straight red I think it was or was it a second yellow?  If it was a straight red VAR would not have saved him.

Footballfirst

31:05 Clancy signals a foul.

(+1") 31:06 "Sibbick scores"  Assistant Ref thinks its a goal and heads towards halfway, but only got as far as the edge of the box.

(+3'02") 34:08 Clancy signals that he is going to the review screen

(+17") 34:25 Clancy gets to the screen

(+1'25") 35:50 Clancy signals penalty after review. 

(+1'20") 37:10 Penalty is taken

It looked to me like Clancy gave a free kick for a foul as I didn’t see the linesman flag and usually refs stuck their hand up in the air to signal offside but Clancy just pointed for a free kick.

In summary therefore, I think the officials missed the hand ball, missed the offside, and imagined up a non existent foul.

Standard stuff from them tbh

1 hour ago, feedthefox said:

I think we've had pretty good change out of VAR since it's arrival.

Yes, we've done very well.

part_time_jambo
2 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

The linesman didn't give offside so it would be a strange call from his angle to call offside, so what did he blow for? Did he give a foul against Sibbick? 

Thats my thinking as to why it took so long as well. Process being 1) was it a foul, 2) no, so was it offside, 3) yes, so was it a handball before offside. 

Surely the goal should have stood if they decided there had been no infringement by Hearts, playing the advantage rule.

Can't understand why it took so long either, unless Clancy knew he had got it wrong and really, really really didn't want to change his decision.

Just think of the number of times over the years that we (or other teams ) wouldn't have got that kind of goal due to referees getting it wrong.

VAR certainly worked for us today.

17 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Surely the goal should have stood if they decided there had been no infringement by Hearts, playing the advantage rule.

Can't understand why it took so long either, unless Clancy knew he had got it wrong and really, really really didn't want to change his decision.

Just think of the number of times over the years that we (or other teams ) wouldn't have got that kind of goal due to referees getting it wrong.

VAR certainly worked for us today.

When the shot came in Sibbick was in an offside position.  However he was classed as "inactive" or not interfering with play in old speak.  When the ball rebounded off the hibs player to sibbick, he then became active and thus offside.  So advantage for the handball could not be played.

The only lawful results from the VAR review could have been handball and penalty, or no hand ball and offside.  Referee decided it was handball, so penalty.

Goal not an option.

Still doesnt explain WTF he saw to blow his whistle before the ball went in.......

7 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Why wasn't Rocky red carded?

erm um - no idea....  perhaps the ref thought the ball was missing.  struggling a bit to explain reall  - heres an extract of law 12

image.thumb.png.35ba6fdd813cf6da1bdee1b29b34f604.png

Edited by poggs

maroonsgotop
1 hour ago, Kirky Jambo said:

It looked to me like Clancy gave a free kick for a foul as I didn’t see the linesman flag and usually refs stuck their hand up in the air to signal offside but Clancy just pointed for a free kick.

In summary therefore, I think the officials missed the hand ball, missed the offside, and imagined up a non existent foul.

Standard stuff from them tbh

that's what it looked like. incredible

periodictabledancer
3 hours ago, Cruyff said:

He blew for offside because Sibbick was potentially offside. He never saw the handball.

He didn't blow for offside because he didn't indicate offside. He didn't move to where the offside occured and he didn't raise his arm. 

heartsfc_fan

Caddon's tackle on Halliday was an assult aswell. Should've been a booking.

A second booking - the ref bottled it.

Edited by heartsfc_fan

The Wrinkly Ninja

Dunno how folk can be so confused by this.

Sibbick wasn’t classed as offside at the time of the shot and only became offside when he became active and went for the ball. The goal couldn’t stand.

The handball that Clancy missed was before Sibbick went for the ball so was the first infringement.

Whatever Clancy was blowing for was also after the handball. No goal and penalty was the correct decision by VAR.

Just now, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

Dunno how folk can be so confused by this.

Sibbick wasn’t classed as offside at the time of the shot and only became offside when he became active and went for the ball. The goal couldn’t stand.

The handball that Clancy missed was before Sibbick went for the ball so was the first infringement.

Whatever Clancy was blowing for was also after the handball. No goal and penalty was the correct decision by VAR.

Yeah they got there eventually and was the correct call.

1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Caddon's tackle on Halliday was an assult aswell. Should've been a booking.

A second booking - the ref bottled it.

Absolutely this. I said at the time if he hadn’t been booked he would have been for that tackle. Ref bottled it with the game only 25 minutes in.