Robbie Neilson ( merged )

Absolute Scenes

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Some folk still peddling the myth that Robbie ‘gave/gifted’ The Vermin the Cup In 2016.

:vrface:

He really didn’t.

That’s a Hibs myth and anyone peddling that sort of shit is Hibs.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Naisys Tackle

• i wish jj was my dad

• BlueRiver

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3rd best defence, 3 best attack, 3rd in the league.

I want to be entertained.....

5th best defence. 

Just now, Vlad Magic said:

:spoton:   It’s the biggest load of baloney I’ve ever read on here.

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's even more entertaining!

40% of our GA have came against the OF. Not sure if that’s abnormally high but interesting nonetheless.

The old firm do not take us lightly so they are always up for it when they play us . It is more often than not the smaller teams further down the division that they will drop points to , and I always feel the reason for that is down to them not respecting them enough and taking their eye off the ball in a way they just do not do against us 

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, DS98 said:

5th best defence. 

We're not exactly stuffy. Our GD pisses over everyone outside OF. 

14 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

I don't expect teams to roll over so don't be silly to even suggest that. How many times can you say that we have played very well this season as I can count on one hand max. We have struggled against lesser teams on a few occasions this season. Midweek was embarrassing. Yesterday was poor yet again. We have not improved from last season. The money that's pumped into the club thru the FOH and Benefactors tells me that the product and consistency on the park should be better. 

Thing is we're reasonably comfortable in 3rd despite having had a very difficult start to the season due to European football.  Add to that the larger turnover of players as the squad is being strengthend and its not surprising performances have been up and down.

However we are still third and are very much building for future success.

I'm assuming this summer we'll have far fewer incoming players (maybe only 2 or 3 max) so hopefully we'll go into the next season with our strongest squad for as long as I can remember and they'll mostly be familiar with each other and settled.

I guess we'll see if we can build further on what we have and gain some consistency. I'll be less inclined to defend Neilson next season if we don't really push on and improve our points per game average and narrow the gap on second considerably.

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 hour ago, Vlad Magic said:

Agreed but it does linger because the vermin should never have come back against us from 2 down.

Anyway, that's history.

5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

3rd best defence, 3 best attack, 3rd in the league.

I want to be entertained.....

Well I feel stupid.

And contagious!

gorgierulesapply88
7 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

Money spinning replay

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

as far as I’m concerned if neilson wins the league he will be fully redeemed for gifting hibs the Scottish cup

he doesn’t need to do it with style he doesn’t need to play the laddies he doesn’t need to win the treble just win the league with rangers and Celtic still in it

even if everyone else underperforms that will be fine too

😻 pep neilson tacticise us to the title (next year)

And if he doesn't?  Bring in a McInness or a Stendel? 

i wish jj was my dad
6 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Agreed but it does linger because the vermin should never have come back against us from 2 down.

Anyway, that's history.

Levein explained at the evening in Aberdour that at HT we had four players injured and had already made one sub.  As disappointing as it was at the time it does put the result in perspective. 

I think it's far more constructive to be critical when things are going well and to look for improvement than when things are going badly. 

I'm delighted with the league position and recent results (rangers apart) but to be honest we have played some pretty dire stuff and have been lucky to not be completely out of games before we went on to win them. It needs sorted cos quite a few games where it looks by the result we have been comfortable it most certainly has not.

The way we start games is concerning. Good teams will be out of sight before we lace our boots up.

Going well but massive room for improvement.

RustyRightPeg
10 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

as far as I’m concerned if neilson wins the league he will be fully redeemed for gifting hibs the Scottish cup

he doesn’t need to do it with style he doesn’t need to play the laddies he doesn’t need to win the treble just win the league with rangers and Celtic still in it

even if everyone else underperforms that will be fine too

😻 pep neilson tacticise us to the title (next year)

what a pile of 💩 

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I think it's far more constructive to be critical when things are going well and to look for improvement than when things are going badly. 

I'm delighted with the league position and recent results (rangers apart) but to be honest we have played some pretty dire stuff and have been lucky to not be completely out of games before we went on to win them. It needs sorted cos quite a few games where it looks by the result we have been comfortable it most certainly has not.

The way we start games is concerning. Good teams will be out of sight before we lace our boots up.

Good post.

There's been a fair bit chat in the pub and on here about how we have been lucky through last 10 games or so.  Everyone agreeing we have not been free flowing.  I content myself with the thought that the more great goals we score the luckier we get.  

Markymark1874
9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Mental post.

We’re winning games but not winning them well enough?

Mate, look at the OF - more often than not they do not smash every team every single week but they ultimately get the job done even when playing poorly.

Thats what we are building towards right now - creating a winning mentality that will see us qualify for Europe. 

We’d all like to see Hearts smash teams every week but that’s not living in the real world. Teams are generally sitting in against us. Fans just need to be patient as RN has us playing a way where we will continue to pass the ball around the opposing box until we get an opportunity for an incisive pass - exactly like what happened v United on Saturday or St Mirren at home.

A_A wehatethehibs
11 hours ago, mr fox said:

It depends on what your satisfaction level is , personally I think hearts can do better with this squad. 
Neilson is good at changing games I give him that but does struggle to setup well from the start. 

If you think he is the best manager we can get or can’t  do better then that’s your thinking it ain’t mine or many others. We have a very good squad here best I have seen since crazy Romanov days.  .

This point needs addressed and a line drawn under it.

This is Neilsons squad mate. Whole setup has been built round his way of playing.

Lawrence Shankland, star man. Here if Neilson wasn’t the manager? No. These are Neilsons players mate.

New manager comes in, forget about this squad.

First thing you new wonder-manager-on-paper going to want is, new signings, new tactical setups and ship half this squad out with budget for his own players. 

Find it so ****ing ridiculous when people seem to disconnect the quality of the squad from the quality of the manager.

Total cognitive dissonance.

Neilson is the manager for 3 years. This is his squad he runs it. He says who is surplus, he says what he needs brought in. We've got him to thank for the squad. And if you want a new manager, expect a new, different squad, based on that new managers ideas. 

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

This point needs addressed and a line drawn under it.

This is Neilsons squad mate. Whole setup has been built round his way of playing.

Lawrence Shankland, star man. Here if Neilson wasn’t the manager? No. These are Neilsons players mate.

New manager comes in, forget about this squad.

First thing you new wonder-manager-on-paper going to want is, new signings, new tactical setups and ship half this squad out with budget for his own players. 

Find it so ****ing ridiculous when people seem to disconnect the quality of the squad from the quality of the manager.

Total cognitive dissonance.

Neilson is the manager for 3 years. This is his squad he runs it. He says who is surplus, he says what he needs brought in. We've got him to thank for the squad. And if you want a new manager, expect a new, different squad, based on that new managers ideas. 

Yes he gets credit for building the squad in which Savage plays a big part in too. But are you suggesting that just because you have managed to assemble a good squad of players that you are a great manager? That makes no sense. A better manager gets better out of these players, we have so much quality in there we should be dominating most other teams outside the OF, which we rarely ever do. Some of the football we've played has been awful.

And to say if a new manager comes in then basically he'd get rid of this squad is absolute nonsense. Are you trying to tell me no manager has ever come into a new job and kept a lot of the same players and improved them?

Your post almost makes out that his recruitment alone makes him a quality manager. There's a lot more to it than that.

15 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

Mental post.

Mate, look at the OF - more often than not they do not smash every team every single week but they ultimately get the job done even when playing poorly.

Thats what we are building towards right now - creating a winning mentality that will see us qualify for Europe. 

We’d all like to see Hearts smash teams every week but that’s not living in the real world. Teams are generally sitting in against us. Fans just need to be patient as RN has us playing a way where we will continue to pass the ball around the opposing box until we get an opportunity for an incisive pass - exactly like what happened v United on Saturday or St Mirren at home.

Absolutely spot on 

We are winning games regularly by 2 or 3 goals and folk are moaning that it's not good enough.

Yes the football won't always be sparkling, particularly because the nature of Scottish football means teams are very hard to break down. You get folks screaming about "passing it about along the back" instead of appreciating that we are probing, looking for gaps, moving their team and shape about looking for the moment when one of their players drops a man, switches off, fails to track a run and that's when we have been clinical and ruthless recently. Winning games when not playing well is the mark of a good team.

8 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yes he gets credit for building the squad in which Savage plays a big part in too. But are you suggesting that just because you have managed to assemble a good squad of players that you are a great manager? That makes no sense. A better manager gets better out of these players, we have so much quality in there we should be dominating most other teams outside the OF, which we rarely ever do. Some of the football we've played has been awful.

And to say if a new manager comes in then basically he'd get rid of this squad is absolute nonsense. Are you trying to tell me no manager has ever come into a new job and kept a lot of the same players and improved them?

Your post almost makes out that his recruitment alone makes him a quality manager. There's a lot more to it than that.

And some of the football we have played has been brilliant.  We have scored a lot of great team goals.  Cochrane's goal on Saturday.  Celtic score these goals and the media are fainting over them.  

6 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Absolutely spot on 

We are winning games regularly by 2 or 3 goals and folk are moaning that it's not good enough.

Yes the football won't always be sparkling, particularly because the nature of Scottish football means teams are very hard to break down. You get folks screaming about "passing it about along the back" instead of appreciating that we are probing, looking for gaps, moving their team and shape about looking for the moment when one of their players drops a man, switches off, fails to track a run and that's when we have been clinical and ruthless recently. Winning games when not playing well is the mark of a good team.

Not to mention some goals of real quality.

And all this good work also leads to the recurring theme of a better second half, when the opposition start to tire after running about plugging gaps while we probe and let the ball do the work.

****ing bairns in our support.

i wish jj was my dad
13 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Some of the football we play is wonderful. The three goals against Utd were top drawer. 

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Aye there is a lot more to it than that, starting with results.

But that post is about this specific point about the squad being somehow disconnected from the manager.

It isn’t. This is Neilsons squad. And with a new manager would come big changes to it. So the squad being fantastic is not an argument for changing the manager it’s an argument for keeping him.

Just now, i wish jj was my dad said:

Some of the football we play is wonderful. The three goals against Utd were top drawer. 

Yeah we do have some nice passages of play and score some well worked goals, but a lot of the time everything is lethargic and pedestrian. How many games do we need to change it all up at half time as well because we've been murder first half.

39 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

Mental post.

That's not what I am saying at all.

13 hours ago, Bozi said:

What is the most galling and arrogant thing with the Mad Phoodle Oot brigade is the absolute assurance that they know better than Robbie.

Instead of acknowledging that he started off with a game plan, tweaked it, changed the players ultimately won the game, the mantra is "he goat is wrong, ah culd tell before the game stairted that thu team wis wrong" 

Just hold that thought and think that maybe, just maybe, Robbie Neilson has seen the players in training all week, he knows who is playing well, he knows who is confident, he knows who is carrying a knock, he probably has the sports science guys telling him who needs a rest, he probably works on a formation and sees which players are best suited to carrying that out and who is understanding it on the training pitch...maybe he does all that and sometimes it doesn't quite work but he has the knowledge and the experience to change it, to freshen it up, to win the match ..seems to be working mostly ok 

For me it's the biggest thing that's helped change my view on his ability. I felt before when he got it wrong, that was it now for the game but he's now so much better at rectifying it in game.

The next step is to get it wrong at the start less often and maybe be a bit quicker in making the changes. Hopefully that comes next. 

13 hours ago, Bozi said:

What is the most galling and arrogant thing with the Mad Phoodle Oot brigade is the absolute assurance that they know better than Robbie.

Instead of acknowledging that he started off with a game plan, tweaked it, changed the players ultimately won the game, the mantra is "he goat is wrong, ah culd tell before the game stairted that thu team wis wrong" 

Just hold that thought and think that maybe, just maybe, Robbie Neilson has seen the players in training all week, he knows who is playing well, he knows who is confident, he knows who is carrying a knock, he probably has the sports science guys telling him who needs a rest, he probably works on a formation and sees which players are best suited to carrying that out and who is understanding it on the training pitch...maybe he does all that and sometimes it doesn't quite work but he has the knowledge and the experience to change it, to freshen it up, to win the match ..seems to be working mostly ok 

For me it's the biggest thing that's helped change my view on his ability. I felt before when he got it wrong, that was it now for the game but he's now so much better at rectifying it in game.

The next step is to get it wrong at the start less often and maybe be a bit quicker in making the changes. Hopefully that comes next. 

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Chimp said:

Yeah we do have some nice passages of play and score some well worked goals, but a lot of the time everything is lethargic and pedestrian. How many games do we need to change it all up at half time as well because we've been murder first half.

You seem to be another one of these fans who thinks points get dished out after 45 minutes of a game.

Points get awarded at the end of the game not at half time mate. When you learn that you’ll have your very first clue about football management 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You seem to be another one of these fans who thinks points get dished out after 45 minutes of a game.

Points get awarded at the end of the game not at half time mate. When you learn that you’ll have your very first clue about football management 

You can also lose the 3 points by half time.  When Robbie learns that he’ll be a better manager.  

Markymark1874
21 minutes ago, Chimp said:

The “pedestrian” periods is more to do with us trying to break the opposition down.

Making changes at HT would be tactical tweaks to help us win the game.

Points are awarded at the end of a match.

We can’t go gung-ho for the full 90.

Are you new to football?

Edited by Markymark1874

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What are you on about? Never said points get awarded at half time. I also never mentioned hee haw about points at all. I'm talking about the style of play and how poor we have been in large spells against very poor teams. 

No need to make stuff up to try and have a dig mate, it makes you look a bit ersey. 

3 minutes ago, Markymark1874 said:

The “pedestrian” periods is more to do with us trying to break the opposition down.

Making changes at HT would be tactical tweaks to help us win the game.

Points are awarded at the end of a match.

Are you new to football?

I know when points are awarded. I didn't say anything whatsoever about points. Cheers though

Edited by Chimp

Markymark1874
2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I know when points are awarded. I didn't say anything whatsoever about points. Cheers though

You said “how many times do we need to change things at halftime” as though that was a bad thing?

Surely the fact that RN sees the issues in game and makes the changes in order to win the game is a good thing?

i wish jj was my dad
23 minutes ago, Chimp said:

FWIW, I prefer 4 at the back but from what I can see he uses 343 to dominate possession and draw out the opposition who generally sit in. Results suggest it works.

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You can also lose the 3 points by half time.  When Robbie learns that he’ll be a better manager.  

Correct. Don't know how people can't see that or refuse to even acknowledge it. Some just won't hear any sort of criticism of Neilson or they lose their s***

People can't just support their team, things have to exactly match their expectations or they're ragin.

Ironically, they're probably galvanising everyone else's support for the Hearts manager, a man who deserves a bit of bloody respect around here.

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

You state we were lucky not to be completely out of games. Which games? I’ve looked at our fixtures post World Cup and we scored 2 goals or more vs Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Hibs and Aberdeen in the first half. The last two matches are the only two we have been losing at half time. That’s 2 out of 11. We lost 1 of those 11 games. Scored 24 goals as well. 

Edited by buca junior

1 minute ago, Markymark1874 said:

You said “how many times do we need to change things at halftime” as though that was a bad thing?

Surely the fact that RN sees the issues in game and makes the changes in order to win the game is a good thing?

Yes playing poorly first half is certainly a bad thing.... I'm not sure if you're being serious?

He shouldn't have to be seeing issues and changing it all the time. We should be starting most games well. What happens if we run out of luck and go in at the break a few goals down?

What a strange way of looking at things.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Chimp said:

Correct. Don't know how people can't see that or refuse to even acknowledge it. Some just won't hear any sort of criticism of Neilson or they lose their s***

Look back the thread mate i was giving Robbie pelters for his **** up of the rangers team selection. He got it wrong. Pelters where pelters are due.

Pelters are not due for Saturday tho.

We scored 3 good goals and won the game. We played it smart, kept our composure in a game against typical Utd hot heads. We’re clear daylight in 3rd spot. Our goal difference is a cavernous +18 better than the next best side. We’ve got our top goalscorer in 30 odd years. Weve got a good blend of young players and experienced guys. We’ve got a top manager with 350 games experience and PHM status. Yes we’ve had an injury to Cammy which upset the apple cart after 10 games unbeaten but really; What’s there to worry about? It’s minor nitpicks.  Let go of your gripes and realise, these are good times for Hearts. Yes we’re not as good as the 2 £50-100m squads above us, and could and hopefully will do better against them. But other than that just enjoy this team and this manager because we’ve had the bad times it’s Robbie that’s rebuilt us to this position and it’s Robbie win will be at the helm for the foreseeable. 

I can only assume that there are a few on here who haven't seen the games but have simply looked at the final scoreline.

Markymark1874

😂

Mate - are you new to football?

This ain’t FIFA  - teams come to Tynecastle now and employ different tactics & line ups.  Teams don’t phone Robbie and tell them how they are going to play. Weird sh1t happens in games - ie. United score early - then park the bus / players get sent off / injured leading to formation changes.

Point is, we’re not playing badly - we’re working teams hard to break them down. Which we more often than not do and then take advantage.

You seem to be moaning cos we’re not  putting games to bed by halftime. I merely think this is incredibly unrealistic and a tad naive and would guess you’ve not followed Hearts very long.

Just now, Markymark1874 said:

😂

Mate - are you new to football?

This ain’t FIFA  - teams come to Tynecastle now and employ different tactics & line ups.  Teams don’t phone Robbie and tell them how they are going to play. Weird sh1t happens in games - ie. United score early - then park the bus / players get sent off / injured leading to formation changes.

Point is, we’re not playing badly - we’re working teams hard to break them down. Which we more often than not do and then take advantage.

You seem to be moaning cos we’re not  putting games to bed by halftime. I merely think this is incredibly unrealistic and a tad naive and would guess you’ve not followed Hearts very long.

I think it's you who is new to football if you think we have not been playing poorly.

Twice you've come out with that insult. Get some new banter mate.

Markymark1874
11 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Yes playing poorly first half is certainly a bad thing.... I'm not sure if you're being serious?

He shouldn't have to be seeing issues and changing it all the time. We should be starting most games well. What happens if we run out of luck and go in at the break a few goals down?

What a strange way of looking at things.

🤦‍♂️

Edited by Markymark1874