***HMFC v Livingston*** Match Thread

Scott Leitch

13 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Fear ye not! There will be more than enough nonsense to keep you busy! 😉

He had at least two 1st half opportunities that he uncharacteristically didn't connect with properly. A couple of other ½ chances to boot ... plus the pull-back.

I saw us play some really slick football today which came to nothing. That happens. I honestly believe that we played the better football.

Bazza did some fine work, as did Forrest and others. OK, there were the usual mis-placed passes etc., but we persevered.

Livi, much like RFS, Ross Co, and others we've played recently are a team of giants in comparison to us. I'm seek o' it! They really must be bought by the inch!!!

Martindale has them well schooled in packing their box and several times it was almost like they had a wall of 'keepers on the line. Fair play as it's making best use of big blokes who aren't technically the best.

But, playing for time (as they largely did right from when they scored) is the wrong mind-set. It often ends badly.

Sometimes it works, but they got what they deserved in the end ... tough!!!

We move on ...

❤️❤️G❤️

That’s how I saw it. We were by far the better team. Combination of poor finishing, ball not breaking for us and shocking refereeing cost us the 3 points 

on another day we score 3 or 4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Don Dan

• Marvin

• Morgan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Churchill Barrier
16 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

By shelling balls at Nouble. Like I said they would. Like you said they wouldn’t. 

Sure you were there? 

32 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think if you were at the game you’d feel the elation of that last minute equaliser.

The psychology of a last minute equaliser is interesting.

In many ways it feels like a win.

It isn't, of course.

But, what it does do is send the opposing team and fans away scunnered.

On an away day (e.g. Ozturk's at Albion Place Stadium) it sends the home team and fans away scunnered and delights the travelling support.

I like it when we persevere and do that.

I'd rather a win, of course.

That late goal v 'Well is the best sort of scunnering. 10 men, and stick one on 'em at the death.

At least (other than for the terminally negative types) we've been witnessing some entertaining matches.

Och, a welcome lay off now, and much to look forward to when we come back with (hopefully) only one or two remaining injuries.

21 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

By shelling balls at Nouble. Like I said they would. Like you said they wouldn’t. 

Would be good to have that option ourselves. 🤔 

57 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Looks like it could be a very, very tight league from 3rd to 12th that could be a very valuable point for us. Good fight and mentality again but FFS we have got to take chances against a stuffy side like that. As

for the refereeing it’s no surprise really the referees are corrupt VAR or otherwise 

I have a feeling that the league is going to split fairly soon post World Cup.

It'll be the gruesome twosome up top, and us pulling away from three other teams with the rest cutting each other's throats.

18 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

The delay at the end I honestly thought was because when the ball got fired out to Forrest he slightly miscontrolled it and it appeared to hit his right hand.

I'd expect that to come up when the pundits discuss it.

That was my reaction. Was sure it was going to be disallowed.

VAR definitely inhibits proper goal celebrations.

37 minutes ago, Corstorphine Jambo said:

I thought we looked great. For 15-20 minutes. McKay, Cochrane and Snodgrass were causing them real problems down our left. Then we just disappeared. It may have started earlier, but it was clear from the start of the second half that Snodgrass was being man marked - and we had nobody else in the middle who showed for the ball. I’m sorry, but for me Kio just hid from the point he got that stupid booking. Really disappointing display from him. 

This. Snoddy disappeared as a creative force. And Kio ppfffttttt !

First half we were decent. Troubling Livi with balls into the space behind their fullbacks. For some reason we seemed to stop that after about 25minutes and tried to play through them which didn't work. Should still have been comfortably ahead on chances created. Should also have had at least one if not two penalties. And would have been helpful if the ref had been willing to book a Livi player for either the gamesmanship or the two late fouls he played advantage for.

Second half we fell apart completely. A horrible performance. Suddenly our passes were all over the place. We gave away possession far too easily. Not a surprise when Livi scored. Did well to fight out way to a point after the sending off.

Ref, linesmen and VAR official all dreadful. Total lack of consistency. Livi allowed to foul there way through the game, while time wasting at every opportunity. While plenty of cheap fouls against Hearts and Neilson even booked for the kind of technical offense he had ignored being committed by Livi all day.

When we do win freekicks in the middle third of the pitch, we really need to stop taking short backwards freekicks that leave us under pressure at the back. Lost count of the number of times this has happened in recent weeks.

52 minutes ago, Snedescu said:

Anyone know why the one when the keeper wiped out Cammy wasn’t checked. He looked like he was nowhere near the ball. 

Is that the one where Omeonga got booked for his foul on Snodgrass in the build up? 

I assume it's because action was taken for the first foul, and they then can't take action for the second one because it wouldn't have happened if play had been stopped. 

I turned that off after the penalty was awarded, figuring it was over. Shows what the **** I know.

A bad day for the ref but given that we could have easily been down to 9, I can't really say we were robbed. Our biggest problem was finishing in front of goal. Shankland and Gino spurned way too many very good chances.

A point seemed deserved, even if we took the hardest possible way to get there.

1 hour ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

When will you learn 😉

Best one was 4-2 down to the hobos, heard the 2 roars as i walked down the road, my mate still

brings this up lol.

13 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Nah, you're harking back to the 'good old days' of Levein signing big target men like Kevin Kyle, Sutton, or ... Gawd forbid ... Sammon.

We're a more technically advanced team these days, and all the better for that.

No return to the dark ages, I say.

But, feel free to disagree, as I'm sure that you will.

Captain Sausage
23 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

Sure you were there? 

:lol: are you saying Livi, with 23% of possession, we’re playing tikataka and passing the ball around us?

Captain Sausage
20 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Indeed. Simms offered a good mix, it’s a real shame we weren’t able to keep him. 

49 minutes ago, Churchill Barrier said:

They did a bit more than that to be fair. In fact they should have won. 

Correct mate, few deluded jambos were obviously at a different game to us... Gordon was the busier keeper even before the penalty save. 

Edited by Snedds76

Malinga the Swinga
36 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

How anyone can defend the manager after that performance I still don't know. First 10 minutes passed around the back only to lose the ball at the half way line. 64 minutes in and one down we had eight ( 8 ) players in our own half and passed it around the backs. 80 minutes in and we had two ( 2 ) players in their half when he had possession.

Damn lucky to get a draw.

Or unlucky not to have been awarded 1 penalty or even two, and then on receiving end of horrendous refereeing all game, costing us the win.

Different opinions though, it's what makes world go round.

2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

:lol: are you saying Livi, with 23% of possession, we’re playing tikataka and passing the ball around us?

Nope but they had the better chances! 

11 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Is that the one where Omeonga got booked for his foul on Snodgrass in the build up? 

I assume it's because action was taken for the first foul, and they then can't take action for the second one because it wouldn't have happened if play had been stopped. 

Nah, if they thought it was a definite penalty they could have given it. Not seen it on TV so don't know if it should have been but I was claiming for it at the game.

Ex member of the SaS
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

Or unlucky not to have been awarded 1 penalty or even two, and then on receiving end of horrendous refereeing all game, costing us the win.

Different opinions though, it's what makes world go round.

I agree the ref was a clown and suggest you look at the VAR revue thread and maybe we can agree on something.

Central Belt 1874

Just seen the Cochrane challenge on the livvy player. 

An absolute stone wall red card. 

Utterly ridiculous decision not to send him off. 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Snedds76 said:

Nope but they had the better chances! 

If they were that good, they should have taken them. 

Referee gifted them their best chance while denying us the same opportunity on a couple of occasions. 

They didn't deserve win.

6 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Nah, you're harking back to the 'good old days' of Levein signing big target men like Kevin Kyle, Sutton, or ... Gawd forbid ... Sammon.

We're a more technically advanced team these days, and all the better for that.

No return to the dark ages, I say.

But, feel free to disagree, as I'm sure that you will.

Kevin Kyle......absolutely 

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Central Belt 1874 said:

You sound upset. What about penalties we weren't given? What about their fouling all game?

Utterly ridiculous is the norm for Scottish referees.

Central Belt 1874
Just now, Malinga the Swinga said:

You sound upset. What about penalties we weren't given? What about their fouling all game?

Utterly ridiculous is the norm for Scottish referees.

Upset?

Highlighting another terrible refereeing decision even though we have VAR. 

I've not seen the other incidents on TV yet. 

40 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

How anyone can defend the manager after that performance I still don't know. First 10 minutes passed around the back only to lose the ball at the half way line. 64 minutes in and one down we had eight ( 8 ) players in our own half and passed it around the backs. 80 minutes in and we had two ( 2 ) players in their half when he had possession.

Damn lucky to get a draw.

You can imagine Martindale saying to his players at half time, " let them have all the possession, let them pass it across the back constantly, we are away from home and that suits us fine.

They don't threaten us in their own half"

Martindale is streetwise.

3 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

And what about the penalties we should have had 🤦‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I turned that off after the penalty was awarded, figuring it was over. Shows what the **** I know.

A bad day for the ref but given that we could have easily been down to 9, I can't really say we were robbed. Our biggest problem was finishing in front of goal. Shankland and Gino spurned way too many very good chances.

A point seemed deserved, even if we took the hardest possible way to get there.

Funnily enough, today I thought of your well argued lengthy post regarding our speed of attack following a period of posession football.

We did that a few times today. We re-cycled the ball (somewhat frustratingly) but then? Bang! Up both the left via Bazza, or down the right via Gino. Sadly, the final ball, or whatever, didn't quite materialise for us, but it did lead to some slick attacks and chances. On another day we would have profited.

You can always watch the deneument on catch-up telly. 😁

At 95 minutes we were 5 points behind Livi. Ended up and we’re only 2 behind them and likely 4 points off third. Considering the disruptive and difficult season we’ve had so far will mark that as adequate.

Expect us to really kick on after the break.

51 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Fear ye not! There will be more than enough nonsense to keep you busy! 😉

He had at least two 1st half opportunities that he uncharacteristically didn't connect with properly. A couple of other ½ chances to boot ... plus the pull-back.

I saw us play some really slick football today which came to nothing. That happens. I honestly believe that we played the better football.

Bazza did some fine work, as did Forrest and others. OK, there were the usual mis-placed passes etc., but we persevered.

Livi, much like RFS, Ross Co, and others we've played recently are a team of giants in comparison to us. I'm seek o' it! They really must be bought by the inch!!!

Martindale has them well schooled in packing their box and several times it was almost like they had a wall of 'keepers on the line. Fair play as it's making best use of big blokes who aren't technically the best.

But, playing for time (as they largely did right from when they scored) is the wrong mind-set. It often ends badly.

Sometimes it works, but they got what they deserved in the end ... tough!!!

We move on ...

❤️❤️G❤️

Sounds like you were at, and saw, the same game as me. Good to know I've not gone mad.

7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Kevin Kyle......absolutely 

I liked, and still do, big thruppeny bit heid (he missed a sitter right in front of me at the Gorgie end that I prematurely celebrated).

Top bloke.

...andFulton'sBaggio
19 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Best one was 4-2 down to the hobos, heard the 2 roars as i walked down the road, my mate still

brings this up lol.

Ha ha! Still great when you hear that roar though, eh? 😀

12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If they were that good, they should have taken them. 

Referee gifted them their best chance while denying us the same opportunity on a couple of occasions. 

They didn't deserve win.

They really weren't that good, just huge and commited, and absolutely did NOT deserve a win.

We did. 😁

1 minute ago, Wee Mikey said:

I liked, and still do, big thruppeny bit heid (he missed a sitter right in front of me at the Gorgie end that I prematurely celebrated).

Top bloke.

Don't forget DeVries, Fuller and Adam.

Ref was honking the worst I’ve seen in a long time. The pull back on Ginnelly looked a stone wall penalty from sitting in the Gorgie. The Cochrane one looked a great tackle to me and wasn’t even a foul. Can’t even celebrate a goal as I thought ours would be chopped off.

I thought we were too slow at moving the ball today especially every time it went to Smith his distribution was terrible and slowed everything down. Our midfield was also not at the races today but we still made a few decent chances. Once you lose the first goal to them they make it very difficult by breaking up the game and disrupting everything. Credit to the team to go to the end and get a point great finish from Gino to be fair after he missed a good chance not long before it.

49 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

On another day, should be every day, we miss too many chances, costing us big time.

maybe the stress getting to him, certainly stressed me out today, and that was just the VAR.

So the thing is….we invest in a £500k striker….who misses too many chances.

it’s gonna happen. The lad is not a robot. Another game and he bags a hat trick.

C’est la vie

21 minutes ago, GlasgoJambo said:

At 95 minutes we were 5 points behind Livi. Ended up and we’re only 2 behind them and likely 4 points off third. Considering the disruptive and difficult season we’ve had so far will mark that as adequate.

Expect us to really kick on after the break.

"adequate" after a third of the pre split season gone and we are 2 points behind Livingston?

Come on man please.

Seems to be some not happy with current management in place.

Only Advice I can give is, if you think you are being short changed.

You know what to do.

Would rather supporters didn't blame me but and no need for the abuse.

Churchill Barrier
37 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Its what you do with the ball when in possession that matters,  fact they had more shots at goal and 1 less on target is impressive.

Dougie Masterton
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know what to do.

And what is that? 

35 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Funnily enough, today I thought of your well argued lengthy post regarding our speed of attack following a period of posession football.

We did that a few times today. We re-cycled the ball (somewhat frustratingly) but then? Bang! Up both the left via Bazza, or down the right via Gino. Sadly, the final ball, or whatever, didn't quite materialise for us, but it did lead to some slick attacks and chances. On another day we would have profited.

You can always watch the deneument on catch-up telly. 😁

Cheers, and yes, I thought Livi refused to let us play the way we wanted. We passed it quickly plenty, but too often it was just pinging around the back. I'm not sure what happened with the midfield but none of our three were able to do the work of opening up the space to get decent chances. The balls over the top seemed like our best option but I think we'd have been better served in the 3-4-3 today, with Atkinson and Cochrane free on the wings to do that work of opening up the defence.

But ultimately when you have the number of decent chances in front of goal that we had, I'm not sure you can blame the tactics. We easily could have had 2-3 in the first half alone but for bad finishing.

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know what to do.

Gary, even if Robbie gets the sack, you're not getting the job.