Airports

Captain Slog

Having just had to negotiate through six airports, I noticed a similar thing in all that added to the stress i had travelling - Im not that frequent a travel, normally holidays and such.

You get your boarding pass or download, and navigate to the gate.  Fair does.  Thats experience enough in itself especially in the huge airports with many terminals, they arent all nice and easy like Edinburgh.

My gripe is that at the gate itself there are often no staff about to reassure you you are in the right place.

This is bad enough if its after departure time, but what i found was they would change departure gate with minutes to go - no warning or announcement.  The departure boards were many minutes walk away from the gates an i would have missed several flights if i didnt get antsy and get up and go check them close to departure - not what you want to do if youve been travelling 36 hours and are exhausted.

Dont get me wrong, anyone in a uniform is helpful and nice at an airport, but i just cant understand why they make it so hard - all it would take is a screen at the previous gate saying passengers on flight xxx go to gate xxy, or a cabin member standing there and telling peeps.

Also, United states customs and border control. 

Their attitude left me so angry - they should be welcoming visitors, I felt like an illegal alien after being interviewed by them - it is particularly evident their officers failed to get into military or polis and make up for it being nasty to people.

I get America is scared about its borders after 9/11 and wants to be thorough, but they dont have to be unwelcoming.

Get a grip america and welcome people

I’m pretty hardened at air travels and navigating airports but often see people who aren’t looking totally confused and lost at airports. 
I remember about 10 years ago arriving at Sydney airport late night on my own to travel back to the UK to find the BA desk closed and no sign of the flight on any boards. Nobody seemed to know what was happening. By sheer chance I spotted someone in a British Airways tie so grabbed them to ask where my flight was. Luckily she knew. My flight had been cancelled and everyone with a ticket transferred onto a QANTAS flight which was leaving around the same time (a better airline in my opinion). No signage anywhere or announcements. I’m sure a few people would have missed their flight that night. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

Their attitude left me so angry - they should be welcoming visitors, I felt like an illegal alien after being interviewed by them - it is particularly evident their officers failed to get into military or polis and make up for it being nasty to people.

I get America is scared about its borders after 9/11 and wants to be thorough, but they dont have to be unwelcoming.

The trick is to fly though Dublin or Shannon and do your US customs stuff there. 
I’ve had very friendly and the complete opposite going into the states, many times with a work visa so more questions than usual. 

Lol, i went through Dublin, must have had a customs officer on a bad day.

I must say progress through American airports was super fast and the staff in them all helped and pointed me on my way.

Which was really helpful, as the flight to Chcago was two hours late and I had 45 minutes to change, including a 15 minute run when they changed gate

Edited by Captain Slog

The Hogfather
8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

The trick is to fly though Dublin or Shannon and do your US customs stuff there. 
I’ve had very friendly and the complete opposite going into the states, many times with a work visa so more questions than usual. 

The only time I've been to the States I went through Dublin. Surprised at how surly the TSA staff were going out and how friendly they were coming back. I get why they're there but they seemed so put out at the idea of someone looked to travel to their country.

11 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

The only time I've been to the States I went through Dublin. Surprised at how surly the TSA staff were going out and how friendly they were coming back. I get why they're there but they seemed so put out at the idea of someone looked to travel to their country.

I reckon it’s 50/50 if you get someone pleasant. But I think it’s worth it for the faster entry when you arrive in the US. 

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I reckon it’s 50/50 if you get someone pleasant. But I think it’s worth it for the faster entry when you arrive in the US. 

It was stupidly easy to get through right enough. Only one flight heading out that way at that time of the morning so no long queues, which probably wouldn't have been the case at O'Hare.

Once i got to O'Hare, then Kansas City i just jumped on planes and there didnt seem to be customs channels - do they route you through an additional bit if you went from Heathrow say?

Just now, Captain Slog said:

Once i got to O'Hare, then Kansas City i just jumped on planes and there didnt seem to be customs channels - do they route you through an additional bit if you went from Heathrow say?

Also, I dont believe anyone asked me for my ESTA or any of the other bits of paperwork i filled out - maybe their computers collate it all when you scan your passport?

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
3 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

It's the same as if we go to Europe, queue up with the Brazilians, Mexicans,etc.

When I flew to Amsterdam, from Edinburgh, to Riga, I got the 3rd degree from the border official at Schiphol. Was asked why I was going, what I was going to do, etc. Turned she was an AZ Alkmaar fan,and I mentioned Dundee United getting pumped, we both laughed and I got in no problems. :lol:

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Also, and prolly off topic.  On my first day in the US i got 1 lb of rolling tobacco for twelve bucks.  Thats what 500grammes ish?  

Sorry im a smoker, I know its bad.

On my way back i got another 500grammes from duty free for 108 euros.

Shows you the profits the tobacco companies make, and given that would cost me treble after tax shows what we give the goverment on tax too

I flew into JFK from Heathrow this time last year, just after the US fully opened up again. I was waiting for my taxi 25 minutes after I got off the flight. The usual questions at border control but was very polite and quick. 

My biggest gripe about airports is the ability of a large minority of the public to lose all sense of thinking when going through security 😡😡😡

The White Cockade

Only been to the States once in 2001 to Atlanta 

Passport control was awful

Filled on that form then queued up for 30 minutes to get passport details checked with 12 month old who was really ill with temperature and being sick 

Turned out we had missed one question out

Instead of asking us to fill in missing answer just got told to go to the back of the queue and get it right next time 

They were all absolute arseholes No smiles out of any of them Doing us a huge favour just letting us visit and obviously everyone would want to try and stay there illegally 

Must be joking 

**** America!!

Won’t be going back

highlandjambo3

I last passed through America about 15years ago on the way to New Zealand……a stop over of about two hours in Los Angeles……the whole flight was ushered into a smallish isolated departure lounge.  Felt like a terrorist, all that was missing was cattle prods and strip searches……not a skinny person to be seen in a uniform either 😂😂……….been to America a few times but only passing through with the odd overnight stop at Miami Beach (st James hotel I’d recommend).  I’d do route 66 on a bike other than that U.S.A. can do one (IMO of course).

1 hour ago, Captain Slog said:

When we flew into Miami a few years ago, there was the usual big queue for customs and we could see when we got to the front that one of the two people we were likely to get was chatting away and smiling/laughing with the visitors...and the other one was a little nazi who only asked the questions, dared them to answer wrongly, and whose face would have cracked if he'd smiled or engaged in any normal human interaction. Of course you can guess which one we got.

My wife had never travelled to the states before, so she uselessly tried to chat to him a bit. I thought, this is it, she's getting detained. Didn't help at all that she couldn't fully understand his accent so wasn't always sure what he was asking.

Why are the majority of loos absolutely foul? I get they have high footfall but some are horrific. 

Pisa airport was notably bad. The wee wummin had only just cleaned it and it smelled like a portaloo on a norovirus cruise and looked like the local high school had been over for a paper maché class. 

Edinburgh is terrible post COVID.

Decent Airport that's gradually getting worse the busier it gets unfortunately.

Gatwick is just garbage, always has been though so they've got an excuse.

Heathrow is busy but not to bad and plenty to keep you occupied.

Stansted is the most confusing, stupid monorail thing to take you to gates.

Luton is an abomination if using public transport.

London City is decent.

Southampton is small and the quickest flight I've ever had to EDI. 35 minutes because the runway points North I believe.

Glasgow is a shitehole but the Airport is pretty good 😉

Never had a problem flying into America. Be polite and they will back at border control.

Flying into Vegas in 2015 and the guard asked me if I liked gambling 😂 "eh, not really sir"

"Enjoy Vegas, have a good time"

4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How come the same folk always get bad service?  🤔

It could be you?

Remember the office booking me a flight down south for an insurance course, i asked nicely for her to cancel

it and book me a train, great journey, wee bevy with some fellow passengers, never been on a plane since 05,

hastle from start to finish, do folk still clap when it lands👏.

Can't say I've ever had any problems at an airport. Not knowing Pisa airport shut and opened up at 4am was a *******. Was a long 3 hour stand outside. And 1 hearts fan had the most annoying laugh know to man, he laughed the whole 3 hours at things that weren't funny. 

14 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

London City is decent.

Southampton is small and the quickest flight I've ever had to EDI. 35 minutes because the runway points North I believe.

Flew into Luton a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was fine particularly as we were getting the train into Central London. Came out terminal, straight to bus stop. 5 minute journey to train station and then quick train journey into the centre. Thought it was bang on and very easy to follow. Would do it again for sure.

Percival King
2 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Remember the office booking me a flight down south for an insurance course, i asked nicely for her to cancel

it and book me a train, great journey, wee bevy with some fellow passengers, never been on a plane since 05,

hastle from start to finish, do folk still clap when it lands👏.

We flew to Florida earlier in the year and folk DID clap when we landed we, we thought we were back in 80s (but as soon as we went to buy something on pretty much a 1 Dollar to 1 Pound exchange rate we realised we were in 2022). And the border control guy was professional, polite and friendly.

All roads lead to Gorgie
17 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I last passed through America about 15years ago on the way to New Zealand……a stop over of about two hours in Los Angeles……the whole flight was ushered into a smallish isolated departure lounge.  Felt like a terrorist, all that was missing was cattle prods and strip searches……not a skinny person to be seen in a uniform either 😂😂……….been to America a few times but only passing through with the odd overnight stop at Miami Beach (st James hotel I’d recommend).  I’d do route 66 on a bike other than that U.S.A. can do one (IMO of course).

I took a BA flight back in the 90s from Glasgow to Boston but the first leg of the flight went to JFK first, the same thing happened to us we were taken into a closed off lounge and waited ages to re-board. An announcement said it was to disinfect the flight and a security check, it did take off from Glasgow so I understand why it needed done 😅

15 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

London City is decent.

Miss JJ was working out of Edinburgh earlier in the year, she said at the time she was there, it was one of the worst run and organised airports she'd worked from, it was a complete shambles on so many different levels, so much so she couldn't wait to go back home to Gatwick.

Singapore used to be a great for a giggle

Walk about for a bit and then turn around and you will find a Airport Cleaner tailing you incase you drop something.

Also they used to have a glass cage/lounge for the Smokers, which would fill with fag smoke to the roof within seconds when the long-haulers landed to the point of it being so thick you couldn't see who was sitting inside

I still miss a ciggy to this day!

18 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Brother-in-Law and his then girlfriend had the same on a flight from Glasgow to the Dominican Republic via Miami, they were offloaded and kept in a holding room with armed guards, this was a year or so after 9/11.  Over 200 people in a room with 2 toilets and one vending machine, he thought there was going to be a riot at one stage with some of the Glaswegians arguing with the guards to let the bairns out for the toilet and getting told to stay away from the yellow line etc.  He thought they were all going to get lifted or shot from these clowns. 

He doesn't have a high opinion of America after that treatment, so much so he'll never visit America, ever.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

What's that?

I've always wanted to tick the 'Member of the Nazi Party' box on the visa form. After all, who am I to conclusively say my previous being (given that I believe in reincarnation) wasn't?

the SSSS means extra tsa checks

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

What's that?

I've always wanted to tick the 'Member of the Nazi Party' box on the visa form. After all, who am I to conclusively say my previous being (given that I believe in reincarnation) wasn't?

Extra TSA screening. Can be for a variety of reasons. Buying a ticket last minute, having the same name as someone on their watch list, travelling to countries they don't like!!! Or just being a wrong un!! 

18 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Keeping Weegies and their feral offspring in a holding pen seems a sensible move from any government, TBH. 

There is that I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Extra TSA screening. Can be for a variety of reasons. Buying a ticket last minute, having the same name as someone on their watch list, travelling to countries they don't like!!! Or just being a wrong un!! 

you forgot  not being white 

That thing you do
22 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

This year Ive been in Mexico, Colombia and The US and the best by far was El Dorado Airport in Bogota. I was plane to driver in less than 12 minutes. Very friendly and polite staff as well.

Mexico is pretty good but I have residence there so I go in the Mexicans queue not the tourist one.

Longest time wise was USA but ESTA holders had own line at JFK so wasnt so bad.

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Keeping Weegies and their feral offspring in a holding pen seems a sensible move from any government, TBH. 

:lol:

Feckin HATE airports!!!

First thing is the airport car parking is like the tar has gold deposits in it or something the price they bloody charge!

Second thing they do is when you get through security, they make you walk through a bloody supermarket full of "duty free" that's more expensive than bloody Asda's!

Third thing is the food is a bloody rip-off, its bland, microwaved shite and its 3 quid for a bottle of water!!!

Then they never have enough seats in the departures. 200 folk on a plane and 120 seats at the gates!

Greedy, greedy barstewards!!!

They can sook ma baws!!!

19 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Feckin HATE airports!!!

First thing is the airport car parking is like the tar has gold deposits in it or something the price they bloody charge!

Second thing they do is when you get through security, they make you walk through a bloody supermarket full of "duty free" that's more expensive than bloody Asda's!

Third thing is the food is a bloody rip-off, its bland, microwaved shite and its 3 quid for a bottle of water!!!

Then they never have enough seats in the departures. 200 folk on a plane and 120 seats at the gates!

Greedy, greedy barstewards!!!

They can sook ma baws!!!

Also, even when the airport is deadly quiet, they STILL make you snake up and down those security barrier things instead of just opening them up to allow you to walk straight in. Arseholes do it deliberately to piss you off!!!

I was at Prestwick last week and there were 4 people in when I got there but I still had to snke up and down like a phannie!!!

On 04/11/2022 at 17:23, Captain Slog said:

Having just had to negotiate through six airports, I noticed a similar thing in all that added to the stress i had travelling - Im not that frequent a travel, normally holidays and such.

You get your boarding pass or download, and navigate to the gate.  Fair does.  Thats experience enough in itself especially in the huge airports with many terminals, they arent all nice and easy like Edinburgh.

My gripe is that at the gate itself there are often no staff about to reassure you you are in the right place.

This is bad enough if its after departure time, but what i found was they would change departure gate with minutes to go - no warning or announcement.  The departure boards were many minutes walk away from the gates an i would have missed several flights if i didnt get antsy and get up and go check them close to departure - not what you want to do if youve been travelling 36 hours and are exhausted.

Dont get me wrong, anyone in a uniform is helpful and nice at an airport, but i just cant understand why they make it so hard - all it would take is a screen at the previous gate saying passengers on flight xxx go to gate xxy, or a cabin member standing there and telling peeps.

My anxiety  used to be  sky high at airports. I’d Often think I’d  left my passport at home , wallet or keys so kept  checking every 30mins or so 😂 daft really . Then I wondered if I was at the  departure lounge or correct queue ! I don’t mind flying at all funnily enough ,.think my anxiety stems from when I first travelled to Germany when I was a young teenager . I left my money in the ferry cabin and only noticed it when I got off the ferry . They kindly noted I was frantic and let me beck on and low and behold my money was still there . Im

much more relaxed now really . 

On 04/11/2022 at 18:30, Notts1874 said:

I flew into JFK from Heathrow this time last year, just after the US fully opened up again. I was waiting for my taxi 25 minutes after I got off the flight. The usual questions at border control but was very polite and quick. 

My biggest gripe about airports is the ability of a large minority of the public to lose all sense of thinking when going through security 😡😡😡

Been on a few flights this year and I swear I got stuck behind the one idiot who needs about 30 trays for all their shit at security every time 😠

On 05/11/2022 at 15:47, jonesy said:

As a swarthy-skinned, shifty-looking fella with 5 years of living in Red China on my passport, and neither of my children having been born in the UK, I look forward to my next trip to the US :( 

My Mrs spent 3 years living out in the British Virgin Islands, at the time the only way to get certain brands of food or toiletries was by getting the ferry over to St Thomas in the American Virgin Islands every few weeks, this meant she ended up with dozens of US entry/exit stamps on her passport so any journey home via mainland US always meant full suspicion from TSA  

highlandjambo3

Inverness airport is great………from landing to getting into your car its about 10-15 minutes with a total walking distance covered around 300m………👍

26 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Been on a few flights this year and I swear I got stuck behind the one idiot who needs about 30 trays for all their shit at security every time 😠

They are usually the same ones that haven't taken their belt off, wallet and money still in their pocket. Laptop is still in their bag etc etc 😡😡😡

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

They are usually the same ones that haven't taken their belt off, wallet and money still in their pocket. Laptop is still in their bag etc etc 😡😡😡

The very same.

They don't have their toiletries out or in a clear bag either.

22 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

The very same.

They don't have their toiletries out or in a clear bag either.

:facepalm: I know!

:seething: