Train strikes

Diadora Van Basten

Diadora Van Basten

Striking on 19th November to disrupt Argentina rugby match then every Friday and Saturday in December.

I have sympathy for the train workers but think the strikes are really going to ruin Christmas.

Theyre showing a complete disregard to the general public and with the December strikes hurting businesses that have had hard festive periods the last few years due to COVID.

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

That thing you do

Striking this time isnt actually Scotrail its RMT members of Network Rail though Scotrail RMT wont do overtime.

In general, I agree with workers striking as theyve had a bad deal for a long long time in real terms. Unfortunately, inflationary times are the worst to give pay rises in as it exaccerbates the problem and both UK and Scotgov barely have more to give.

The time to have a strike is 5 years ago when wages hadnt grown in a while and people already felt it. The French are way more savvy on this and unfortunately the UK is far too willing to let the ruling classes get away with it for years and only come out when its too late and the cream is already shared out.

32 minutes ago, briever said:

Some people dont seem to realise what striking tactics are - what would be the point in striking on a Sunday?

Never strike on a Sunday. Railway workers get a very good Sunday payment for working Sundays.

12 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Striking this time isnt actually Scotrail its RMT members of Network Rail though Scotrail RMT wont do overtime.

In general, I agree with workers striking as theyve had a bad deal for a long long time in real terms. Unfortunately, inflationary times are the worst to give pay rises in as it exaccerbates the problem and both UK and Scotgov barely have more to give.

The time to have a strike is 5 years ago when wages hadnt grown in a while and people already felt it. The French are way more savvy on this and unfortunately the UK is far too willing to let the ruling classes get away with it for years and only come out when its too late and the cream is already shared out.

I've worked for Scotrail for seventeen years now. In all but one of these years I have had a pay rise. Railway workers South of the border less so.

The Scotrail dispute will get settled this month.

Then Aslef and the Rmt, start allover again in April next year.

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Striking on 19th November to disrupt Argentina rugby match then every Friday and Saturday in December.

I have sympathy for the train workers but think the strikes are really going to ruin Christmas.

Your last sentence probably should’ve stopped at “workers”. There’s absolutely no reason why this should “ruin Christmas”. 

4 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

You have sympathy as long as it doesn't knock your nose out of joint 😂

Get a grip. We're fighting for jobs, pensions, and peoples future here never mind the piss poor pay aspect of it. 

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Xmas will be ruined.

:rofl:

10 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'll be at our game on 17 December. I am confident trains will be running that day.

At the moment they are not.

Diadora Van Basten

I wasn’t expecting that level of response about my comments about the disruption planned for Christmas but I think it shows the mindset of those involved to cause as much inconvenience as possible.

I would have started with a more softly softly catchy monkey tactic if it was me rather than going all in straightaway.

Dennis Reynolds
10 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I wasn’t expecting that level of response about my comments about the disruption planned for Christmas but I think it shows the mindset of those involved to cause as much inconvenience as possible.

I would have started with a more softly softly catchy monkey tactic if it was me rather than going all in straightaway.

They've been striking for months now and nothing has changed. They've done the softly softly monkey tactic. That's clearly not worked.

Diadora Van Basten
8 minutes ago, Homme said:

Perfect excuse not to attend my Works night out

I usually fall asleep on train and miss my stop after my works night out. 

Fxxx the SPFL
24 minutes ago, Homme said:

Perfect excuse not to attend my Works night out

Do you not like your work colleagues 

35 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Do you not like your work colleagues 

Ach they're ok. Just the thought of travelling to Glasgow.

I support any industry or workers that can strike to get a better deal. ALL employers take the piss when they can.

No business should be run by needing employees to work more than their contracted hours. It's embarrassing they can't provide a full service without that commitment.

19 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

The price of living, fuel costs and gas/leckie bills have already spoiled Xmas.

Turkeys will be eating humans this year.

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I've worked for Scotrail for seventeen years now. In all but one of these years I have had a pay rise. Railway workers South of the border less so.

Hope so.I have just seen the strike days for December.Madness.

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Hope so.I have just seen the strike days for December.Madness.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Homme said:

Ach they're ok. Just the thought of travelling to Glasgow.

Travelling backs the killer lol

10 minutes ago, Barack said:

A lot of folk will be happy with a gobble for Christmas. :sadrobbo:

A wee change from choking the chicken.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I support any industry or workers that can strike to get a better deal. ALL employers take the piss when they can.

No business should be run by needing employees to work more than their contracted hours. It's embarrassing they can't provide a full service without that commitment.

What a load of shite. 😂

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

:spoton:

What with the strikes from different unions, the work to rules, the scattergun cancellations - the railways are making a great job of being utterly unreliable and increasingly irrelevant.

If I have to be somewhere now, I take the car.  

highlandjambo3
2 minutes ago, FWJ said:

What with the strikes from different unions, the work to rules, the scattergun cancellations - the railways are making a great job of being utterly unreliable and increasingly irrelevant.

Off to London at Christmas for a few days with the grandkids……going nowhere near any trains 

The Hogfather

These types of threads are always really good at showing up who the truly selfish ***** are .

"ChRiStMaS iS ROOOOIND" 😭

57 minutes ago, FWJ said:

What with the strikes from different unions, the work to rules, the scattergun cancellations - the government are making a great job of making the railways utterly unreliable and increasingly irrelevant.

Fixed that for you.

Let's hope they can get the finger out in the next fortnight and mend the mess they've made of things.

Malinga the Swinga
6 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Totally agree. Now if the unions would agree t have Sunday adopted as a working day, then that would be ideal.

The unions however, won't change their contracts that were written years ago and want Sunday's to remain overtime only and by volunteers to work that overtime.

Railway workers working themselves out of a job which seems strange given the drop in footfall railways are seeing.

Both sides digging in, neither side wants to lose face, so could be a long winter of strikes.

Shame, as rail was by far best way of getting about UK, but if you can't trust when they'll run, people will find alternative mode of travel.

36 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Totally agree. Now if the unions would agree t have Sunday adopted as a working day, then that would be ideal.

The unions however, won't change their contracts that were written years ago and want Sunday's to remain overtime only and by volunteers to work that overtime.

Railway workers working themselves out of a job which seems strange given the drop in footfall railways are seeing.

Both sides digging in, neither side wants to lose face, so could be a long winter of strikes.

Shame, as rail was by far best way of getting about UK, but if you can't trust when they'll run, people will find alternative mode of travel.

I don't want to work on Sundays. You don't even understand the only reason the government wants Sundays in the working week. It's not because Sundays don't get covered, it's because it's a day we have to bargain with and don't need industrial action to not show up on.

There really isn't a drop in passenger numbers these days. Certainly not where I am. 

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Sunday is a normal day for us. I've been in the railway 20 years but before that I believe my colleagues took a one off payment to change their Sundays to a regular working day. 

51 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Sunday is a normal day for us. I've been in the railway 20 years but before that I believe my colleagues took a one off payment to change their Sundays to a regular working day. 

We turned down £15k to accept Sundays in the working week 4 or 5 years ago. Can't say I'll ever regret that even if it gets forced on us in the end. 

William H. Bonney
4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

We turned down £15k to accept Sundays in the working week 4 or 5 years ago. Can't say I'll ever regret that even if it gets forced on us in the end. 

I'm guessing 20+ years ago the offer was nowhere near 15k. Not sure why they took it to be honest. 

Just now, William H. Bonney said:

I'm guessing 20+ years ago the offer was nowhere near 15k. Not sure why they took it to be honest. 

My grade sold London weighting in my depot 15 or so years ago. I've been there 10 years. Those that sold it got to keep it as they only sold it for those after them. Not one person admits to voting for it.

fabienleclerq
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Some do have Sunday as part of their week, others don't want it me being one of them.

Nobody is working themselves out a job, the transport ministry needs to get rid of the franchises. Once they fail slowly take them back in house.

As for a drop in footfall the trains are hoaching down south. Commuter trains aren't as busy but later ones are as if not more so imo than they were. Park and ride where I am is back to being full every day.

Anybody that strikes is a special type of moron imo.

Hope they all get sacked, the railways where I live are an absolute joke and won't be missed anyway.

If you don't like your job/standard of life then move on and do something that floats your boat. People don't like working in this country. That's the simple truth.

5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

I don't want to work on Sundays. You don't even understand the only reason the government wants Sundays in the working week. It's not because Sundays don't get covered, it's because it's a day we have to bargain with and don't need industrial action to not show up on.

There really isn't a drop in passenger numbers these days. Certainly not where I am. 

Aye, but the Daily Mail/GBN/BBC/TalkTV/Express said .....

3 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Hope they all get sacked, the railways where I live are an absolute joke and won't be missed anyway.

If you don't like your job/standard of life then move on and do something that floats your boat. People don't like working in this country. That's the simple truth.

Other than sports people, who the feck likes working? Morons, that's who.

Edited by ri Alban

fabienleclerq
8 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've heard. Have a wee look at see what benefits you have at work and which ones came about because of the unions.

"Just change jobs if ye dinny like it ken" moron indeed.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Bull's-eye said:

What a moronic post.

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Quite possibly the dumbest thing I've heard. Have a wee look at see what benefits you have at work and which ones came about because of the unions.

"Just change jobs if ye dinny like it ken" moron indeed.

I'm self employed. 

Didn't like working for other people so rather than strike and make other peoples lives a misery I did something about it.