***Offishul Qatar World Cup 2022 Thread***

Cade

18 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Us grown ups that like football can enjoy one of the best WC finals without supporting anyone or getting excited about it or sounding like a condescending prick. 

Loved that game.

Highest drama. Martinez save on 120 minutes then Argentina nearly win it straight after. 

Edited by Mikey1874

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• Maroon Sailor

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quite possibly the best game of football I’ve ever watched. Messi a genius but my goodness from the 80th minute onwards Mbappe may have gave one of the best performances I’ve ever seen. He looked like a man on a mission 

8 minutes ago, briever said:

Goose Green is closer than fighting Vichy France in WWII.

France is definitely closer than the South Atlantic mate 😎😎

The Hogfather
22 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Us grown ups that like football can enjoy one of the best WC finals without supporting anyone or getting excited about it or sounding like a condescending prick. 

Seems you can't enjoy it without being an arsehole though, which is unfortunate.

Absolutely brilliant game. Delighted for Messi and Argentina, that took alot of bottle. Messi all time best now.

Also great to come on here and see certain posters greeting. Hopefully England winning the fair play will cheer them up a bit.

1 minute ago, Scallywag said:

Absolutely brilliant game. Delighted for Messi and Argentina, that took alot of bottle. Messi all time best now.

Also great to come on here and see certain posters greeting. Hopefully England winning the fair play will cheer them up a bit.

Harry Kane not taking that booking for the rainbow armband is their legacy.

And being the best team in the World for a day versus Iran. 

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Loved that game.

Highest drama. Martinez save on 120 minutes then Argentina nearly win it straight after. 

Yep me too.  Although it was very one sided for about 80 minutes, with a very good, professional performance from Argentina.  But from there until the penalties it was an amazing game.   Anyone that didn’t enjoy that should look for another sport as that was professional football at its best. 

Folk losing their rag about an Argentina v France final is almost as funny as folk losing their rag about what a biscuit is called 😂😂😂😂

See when Mbappe beat the first Argentinian defender but knew he had to beat the next player to open up the goal... and he almost did the ball caught the players heel ... that was the defining moment Mbappe knew that ball was in the net had he got round that man it is a cruel game at times. I also got the impression Mbappe was looking at his teammates missing chances and say how the F'k did he not score there. The lad showed what he can do when he gets the ball tonight. I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest.

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Seems you can't enjoy it without being an arsehole though, which is unfortunate.

Think you need to look closer to home on that one.  You’re the one making unnecessary, snidey comments about being a grown up when just about everyone else was able to enjoy a fantastic game of football.  I had no idea grown ups weren’t allowed to enjoy a brilliant game between two teams you don’t support. 

The Hogfather
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Think you need to look closer to home on that one.  You’re the one making unnecessary, snidey comments about being a grown up when just about everyone else was able to enjoy a fantastic game of football.  I had no idea grown ups weren’t allowed to enjoy a brilliant game between two teams you don’t support. 

You're the one accusing people of being bitter over it you halfwit :laugh: Away you go and pester someone else with your ranting nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Folk losing their rag about an Argentina v France final is almost as funny as folk losing their rag about what a biscuit is called 😂😂😂😂

exactly wtf! Unless you’ve got some sort of affiliation with either nation I really can’t see what there is to get upset about. It was a great game drama to the end can’t ask for more in such a huge game.

2 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

exactly wtf! Unless you’ve got some sort of affiliation with either nation I really can’t see what there is to get upset about. It was a great game drama to the end can’t ask for more in such a huge game.

Football is in a good place when you look at the youngsters coming through. And virtually every team brought them in even some making debuts. 

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

We had at least one person saying the referee was in on it as well 😂😂

Best World Cup Final I've seen by an absolute street. Both teams made that happen. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

You're the one accusing people of being bitter over it you halfwit :laugh: Away you go and pester someone else with your ranting nonsense.

So, in the space of 3 posts you’re accusing people of not being grown ups for enjoying a great game of football, then calling them arseholes and halfwits.  

Have a wee lie doon, angry man before you do yourself some harm!  

The Hogfather
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

So, in the space of 3 posts you’re accusing people of not being grown ups for enjoying a great game of football, then calling them arseholes and halfwits.  

Have a wee lie doon, angry man before you do yourself some harm!  

45 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

This is definitely the post of someone who's calm and collected :laugh: Absolute weirdo man.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not accusing "people" of anything, it's laid squarely at your door mate. Have a good night.

Edited by The Hogfather

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Mbappe with 12 World Cup goals already, at 23, is ridiculous by the way. 

He will break all the records, with the youngsters coming through and a more adventurous manager the future is bright for France. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He will break all the records, with the youngsters coming through and a more adventurous manager the future is bright for France. 

I had a discussion with my English friends after the semi final, them all saying England will be amazing at the Euros etc etc. They didn't really have a clue about the French talent coming through 😂😂

1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

Mbappe with 12 World Cup goals already, at 23, is ridiculous by the way. 

I agree with this in principle, but you never know what the future will hold. After 2014 everyone thought that Muller was going to break the World Cup scoring record. Since then, Germany haven't won a knock-out game.

1 minute ago, Bindy Badgy said:

I agree with this in principle, but you never know what the future will hold. After 2014 everyone thought that Muller was going to break the World Cup scoring record. Since then, Germany haven't won a knock-out game.

The French squad is packed with young players and have more to come. Yes, of course Mbappe may get injured but they ain't going anywhere. 

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

And your’e the one doing all the ranting, implying it was a FIFA conspiracy and throwing insults left, right and centre!  

Anyway, well done, you’ve made a small, elite list of arseholes -  I’m popping you on ignore!  

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

The French squad is packed with young players and have more to come. Yes, of course Mbappe may get injured but they ain't going anywhere. 

Aye France have got a ridiculous pool of players to choose from and it's constantly being replenished. There's probably umpteen players representing African nations who were born in France and came through at one of their prestigious academies. 

I think France have been in 4 world cup finals from the last 7, they'll be at least SF at the next 3 or 4 WC's. I don't think you can say the same about any other Country. 

Edited by Cruyff

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

And your’e the one doing all the ranting, implying it was a FIFA conspiracy and throwing insults left, right and centre!  

Anyway, well done, you’ve made a small, elite list of arseholes -  I’m popping you on ignore!  

too-bad-so-sad.gif

If anyone claims that this World Cup tournament wasn’t one of the greatest of all time then I don’t think I can trust their opinion on football matters in general

Just now, BackOfTheNet said:

If anyone claims that this World Cup tournament wasn’t one of the greatest of all time then I don’t think I can trust their opinion on football matters in general

Certainly one of the best in my lifetime. 1998 will probably always top the pops for me as it was the first one I remember and we were there but this has slotted itself into 2nd. 

Geoff Kilpatrick

It annoys me that Qatar was geaced with possibly the best World Cup game of all time, let alone the final. They actually get a legacy.

4 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Im struggling to disagree, Italia 90 will always be my most special, but this has been utterly superb.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It annoys me that Qatar was geaced with possibly the best World Cup game of all time, let alone the final. They actually get a legacy.

And the world's press will move on and never report on the issues with that country ever again, obviously there will be a few brave and notable exceptions. 

We will repeat all of this again when Saudi Arabia gets the tournament in 12 or 16 years time. 

5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Certainly one of the best in my lifetime. 1998 will probably always top the pops for me as it was the first one I remember and we were there but this has slotted itself into 2nd. 

2 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Im struggling to disagree, Italia 90 will always be my most special, but this has been utterly superb.

Scotland being at a tournament always makes a tournament more memorable, as does nostalgia recalling first tournaments seen. And the 90’s had three great tournaments that will all live long in the memory. But if someone says 2022 is their favourite tournament, can’t say I’d have much to argue with. So many moments day by day, game by game. Every big player getting in on the act and even in this day and age unknowns coming through. Upsets, unlikely teams doing well, big teams faltering. And to top it all off, probably the greatest final of all time that involves Messi’s legacy. Outstanding.

Football wise this tournament was amazing and the best I've seen but there will always be the issue with the country it took part in. 

Qatar got what they wanted and that doesn't sit well with me in the slightest. 

28 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

They're going for the Olympics. 

What really seemed to work well was playing tournament in small area. London could host a World Cup on that basis. 

Edited by Mikey1874

18 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Football wise this tournament was amazing and the best I've seen but there will always be the issue with the country it took part in. 

Qatar got what they wanted and that doesn't sit well with me in the slightest. 

I do get this to be honest. Not sure it was them hosting it that gave much to the tournament either (probably just had players in better physical condition and not exhausted after an entire season meaning they can put on a better show). But to be honest, in this current climate of internet spaces of knowledge or viral outcry we’ll struggle to have no issues with any host, it just depends on how big the issues are. I certainly don’t think people will be wanting to travel to Qatar any time soon after that at any rate. But they will travel to the US for the next tournament (with its infamous international wars, race and wealth inequality and anti abortion laws and repealing of gay rights in certain states etc) Just like they travelled to Putin’s Russia in 2018 and so on. Definitely no getting away from the laws in Qatar, but if anything it’s highlighted the draconian side of things there, even if they just wanted to highlight the modern side of it.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I do get this to be honest. Not sure it was them hosting it that gave much to the tournament either (probably just had players in better physical condition and not exhausted after an entire season meaning they can put on a better show). But to be honest, in this current climate of internet spaces of knowledge or viral outcry we’ll struggle to have no issues with any host, it just depends on how big the issues are. I certainly don’t think people will be wanting to travel to Qatar any time soon after that at any rate. But they will travel to the US for the next tournament (with its infamous international wars, race and wealth inequality and anti abortion laws and repealing of gay rights in certain states etc) Just like they travelled to Putin’s Russia in 2018 and so on. Definitely no getting away from the laws in Qatar, but if anything it’s highlighted the draconian side of things there, even if they just wanted to highlight the modern side of it.

All of what you say is absolutely correct. Maybe it's up to governments to get their shit sorted out eh!! Radical thinking I know. 

The football has been brilliant fun though and it's not the players fault who hosts any tournament. 

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Thanks very much.

Not bitter at all. Overall, the best team won. The clue is team though. According to BBC, and someone here, Messi won it on his own. He wasn't even their best player, that was McAllister or, when he wasn't diving, Di Maria.

Hahahahha what utter drivel 

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Seems a bit of a prat to be honest. 

Aw well hope they enjoy their win regardless. Don't think Martinez gives a toss what I think of him 🤣

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Still not the GOAT. That is Diego Maradona.

Messi's individual awards and stats blow his out the water.

Diego isn't even close to him.

21 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Seems a bit of a prat to be honest. 

Aw well hope they enjoy their win regardless. Don't think Martinez gives a toss what I think of him 🤣

Just a bit daft I’d say. 

EB2005B8-3742-4D33-9FB7-D4B9D4FB5113.jpeg

heartgarfunkel
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Hat-trick of 100% agreement here.  Even my wife actually watched the whole match and loved it.  Double edged-sword this though as I just wanted to relish the World Cup Final watching experience.  After Argentina scored the winning penalty she needed reassurance that it was Argentina who had been victorious.  However I was then challenged at the presentation bit when I came back into the room and she asserted that France won it even though I'd told her Argentina had.  'Do you think I'm thick? I knew France won it and you were trying to wind me up', she stated.  Gobsmacked, my retort of 'what the **** are you on about?' was met with, 'the French President is giving the medals out, he wouldn't do that if France have lost?'.  FFS.  Stick to rugby.  Borders lass.

22 minutes ago, heartgarfunkel said:

Hat-trick of 100% agreement here.  Even my wife actually watched the whole match and loved it.  Double edged-sword this though as I just wanted to relish the World Cup Final watching experience.  After Argentina scored the winning penalty she needed reassurance that it was Argentina who had been victorious.  However I was then challenged at the presentation bit when I came back into the room and she asserted that France won it even though I'd told her Argentina had.  'Do you think I'm thick? I knew France won it and you were trying to wind me up', she stated.  Gobsmacked, my retort of 'what the **** are you on about?' was met with, 'the French President is giving the medals out, he wouldn't do that if France have lost?'.  FFS.  Stick to rugby.  Borders lass.

Still no idea why Macron was there. 

Apart for some Franco-Qatari love-in. 

Although he said that we should depoliticise sport. So who knows? 

Cracking game anyway. Best final I can remember (been watching them since 82).

Edited by CF11JamTart