VAR possibly introduced this month

1874robbo

1 hour ago, Peteg75 said:

I live in Germany  and it works fine

That's good to hear... how does it differ from the way the EPL uses it? As I said previously... I keep hearing "It'll be fine if we use it the same as in Germany". Genuine question... I'm not sure as to what this implies.

2 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Another first for the Hibbbbeeeez!

It's not fair. 🤢

First red card from a VAR decision in Scotland. 

First goal ruled off for offside from a VAR decision in Scotland. 

First team to get pumped in a VAR game in Scotland. 

Plenty of possible firsts! 

:fonzie:

8 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I wasn't that enthusiastic about about Var for VARious reasons (get it?), one being that we'll hardly be able to celebrate a goal now without waiting for VAR. Another is that it's likely to add five minutes per game, which means I will have no chance of making the 5:18 from Haymarket to Queen Street, which cuts into my drinking time.

The only potential benefit I can see though is that referees will not get away with letting the fans do he refereeing when the arse-cheeks are playing at home.

Nonsense... you can wait for your next train in Ryries 👍😜

4 hours ago, Skivingatwork said:

One thing is for certain.

None of the controversial decisions will adversely impact the OF in any way.

Wrong, they'll get a decision each against them which they can cling on to to show a lack of bias.  It will not hamper either's season.

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

The thing is this. The OF will get the decisions going their way ... when it's crucial for them. Unimportant mid-table matches between St J and Dun U? They'll be VARed impeccably.

Cynical? Moi? 🤣

Why don’t we just keep an open mind and see what happens over a period. If it’s still biased then we’ll have something to moan about. Personally I think there is no escape from video evidence and if they get it even 90% right, that’s a hell of a lot better than we’ve got just now IMO 

4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I know every goal gets checked... but how does VAR actually 'decide' what to check? Is it prompted by the VAR operators or does the referee initiate the check... or both?

VAR decides and generally if VAR says something the referee just agrees.

3 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

I've read a few posts (over the last year) saying something like "it'll be ok if it's operated like in Germany"... but I've never been entirely sure what that means. Perhaps it is less intervention... you can bet it'll be whatever suits the uglies best.

I don't see the point in having different 'variations'... if it's here, then it should be used to correct wrong decisions IMO. If it's different from Germany, which is different from France which is different from England... what happens in the World Cup? Which variation will they opt for?! It's all a bit bizarre. The SFA/SPFL will make a complete arse of it, as usual.

Was an example of variation last night.

In England Rodri goal for Man City stands. Supposed handball by Mahrez would be ignored in England. Different interpretations of laws.

Referee was Portuguese. 

5 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If it was in place last night, Hibs goal would have counted. On other hand, they've benefitted from shocking decisions in most of their games, so they need to keep quiet and shut up.

We don’t agree on much malinga but 100% this

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

That's good to hear... how does it differ from the way the EPL uses it? As I said previously... I keep hearing "It'll be fine if we use it the same as in Germany". Genuine question... I'm not sure as to what this implies.

It's all about the professional service.. refs accept help on the continent.. refs in the UK are just pish. And don't like to be overruled.  No point in having ex players doing VAR. Has to be neutrals .  And has to be honest assessment of the VAR decision.   Of course there will be confusion at the start.. for everyone 

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

VAR decides and generally if VAR says something the referee just agrees.

25 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Was an example of variation last night.

In England Rodri goal for Man City stands. Supposed handball by Mahrez would be ignored in England. Different interpretations of laws.

Referee was Portuguese. 

8 minutes ago, Peteg75 said:

It's all about the professional service.. refs accept help on the continent.. refs in the UK are just pish. And don't like to be overruled.  No point in having ex players doing VAR. Has to be neutrals .  And has to be honest assessment of the VAR decision.   Of course there will be confusion at the start.. for everyone 

👍 cheers guys. 

2 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

But, you've kinda answered your own scenario. As it stands, refs don't have to explain any decision, and there are plenty of 'eyes' & re-plays as it stands. That, in my opinion, won't change. The ref's decision is final.

For example, that one where the rules were amended on the spot to stop the game in Celtic's favour when their fella went down with a (possible) hammy when we were on the attack? Nae repercussions for the ref.

But they can hide after a game and they don’t need to be in the public eye

making a decision pitchside whilst looking at a tv, knowing millions of eyes are also viewing that sane footage will put pressure on them they’ve never experienced before.

I think you’ll find it will be a good thing overall.

2 hours ago, tian447 said:

It will be a good thing IF it is done properly. 

The screens won't necessarily show the decision to the supporters in the stadium or on TV, so they will continue to be able to see what they want to see and it's up to us to believe it.  Even if they do, what are we going to do about it when they decide to stick to their initial decision or the "new" decision (whichever is the most beneficial to the Smellies).

Most of our games aren't televised, so I fear it will give them a chance to just do whatever the **** they want, because who is going to see it? Even the ones that are currently televised are full of absolutely honking decisions, and VAR isn't going to change the fact that our referees are atrocious. It's the same guys in the VAR room, nothing has changed. Now we just have a chance to be ****ed over by 2 of them instead of just the one on the pitch. 

I'm not being paranoid, or saying there is some conspiracy against other teams, but the fact of the matter is that Celtic and Rangers continually get away with things the rest of us wouldn't, and the stats of fouls per card and others like it show it, and have showed it for years.  Things are just made up on the spot, and there is nothing to be done about it. They don't care if all eyes are on them, it has never stopped them in the past. Referees have even admitted that they referee Glasgow derbies differently to the other games.  ****ing why? It's the same game, the same sport, the same rules.

VAR down south makes mistakes which go completely unchallenged and they just have to accept it.  The fact that they are coming out anticipating problems with it is absolutely ****ing mental; if you're going to be deploying something, you need to make sure that it 100% works and that people are trained and used to it. The fact that the people in charge have even come out with a statement that doesn't show 100% confidence in their ability to roll something like this out, should be worrying enough. It is not a world first, it is not some untried, untested thing that someone has dreamed up. It has been in use for years in multiple other leagues. What the **** are we playing at even suggesting that it is going to cause problems.  That's the level of competence we have from the top down, and that's the guys that are going to be running it. 

I think you're in for a shock if you think this is going to level things in any way. 

So what’s the alternative?

as it is just now we all get fecked over anyway.

I think it’s going to be a good thing and I know it’ll bite us also in games but if VAR gets it right I’m all for that.

wait till it comes to relegation games, cup Games and games which could decide 3rd place 

At the moment big decisions can cost teams.

look at Man City semi final champs league v Tottenham 

msn city thought they had it but VAR proved otherwise 

so if it gets it right I’m all for it.

Wonder what new imaginative ways the SPFL will come up with to embarrass the Scottish game even more than it already does.

VAR, yes that'll do it.

This will turn into a complete farce, we all know it !!

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, tian447 said:

...... if you're going to be deploying something, you need to make sure that it 100% works and that people are trained and used to it. The fact that the people in charge have even come out with a statement that doesn't show 100% confidence in their ability to roll something like this out, should be worrying enough.

The VAR hardware has been under test since early April (Hearts U14s v Hamilton U14s was the first game), so it should work 100%.

Training of refs has been ongoing and, in recent weeks, has been operated in the background for Premiership games, only missing out on the VAR to Ref communication, so as not to influence any decisions.

No matter when it starts for real, there will always be a day 1, week 1, month 1 to be encountered.  No VAR system is foolproof, because sometimes it is operated by fools.

It won't get rid of all controversial decisions because of the human element (see England's experience), but a fair proportion of wrong decisions will be corrected. That is a good thing. 

My biggest concern is the existence of zealots among the VAR refs who want to be the focus of attention and seek to intervene at every opportunity.

Note that goal-line technology is not part of the VAR rollout.

The Treasurer

From what little I have seen of the EPL lately it seems like they are looking for the least little thing to overturn a decision in order to justify the use of VAR. 

gordon simpson
10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It's official

hope this puts an end to hibs cheating , and they have to play teams with 11 players  

highlandjambo3
4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I wasn't that enthusiastic about about Var for VARious reasons (get it?), one being that we'll hardly be able to celebrate a goal now without waiting for VAR. Another is that it's likely to add five minutes per game, which means I will have no chance of making the 5:18 from Haymarket to Queen Street, which cuts into my drinking time.

This should help:

470FDAFC-903F-4483-8AB2-817A78C845A7.gif

4 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

4ynrik.jpg

8 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

So what’s the alternative?

as it is just now we all get fecked over anyway.

I think it’s going to be a good thing and I know it’ll bite us also in games but if VAR gets it right I’m all for that.

wait till it comes to relegation games, cup Games and games which could decide 3rd place 

At the moment big decisions can cost teams.

look at Man City semi final champs league v Tottenham 

msn city thought they had it but VAR proved otherwise 

so if it gets it right I’m all for it.

The alternative??

Get var to fkkkkkkk and enjoy the Scottish game since it doesn't have it .  Shows we re better than the rest such as we England 

I'm looking forward to VAR to be honest. 

Especially against the OF. Will be interesting to see how they can get away with some of the decisions they usually get. 

12 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

The alternative??

Get var to fkkkkkkk and enjoy the Scottish game since it doesn't have it .  Shows we re better than the rest such as we England 

Smoked glass or grass before your alternative.😎. strange way of looking at it.  Especially when it is definitely coming and will work.. why all yer fear. Are you scared of fairness. 

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

It'll be like watching teams of pickpockets in Naples going about their business in front of the polis.

:rofl:great analogy! You just know it's going to come to fruition where the uglies are concerned!

Kinda looking forward to it.... hopefully it'll lead to a 'fairer' game (if that's possible in Scottish football!)

One thing's for certain, JKB will need to empty their servers to free up some space as it's about to get very messy! It'll probably require it's own sub-section eg. SHED, TERRACE, VAR... and some protection for said servers as they're about to be drenched in dribble and slavers from all sections!

23 minutes ago, Peteg75 said:

Smoked glass or grass before your alternative.😎. strange way of looking at it.  Especially when it is definitely coming and will work.. why all yer fear. Are you scared of fairness. 

Scared it will spoil the game 

It's gonna be like any other significant change that gets introduced to a human environment, folk will hate it at first and then adapt and get used to it.

In every other league that uses it as far as I know it has reduced errors at decisions, not got rid of them as that's not and has never been the claim.

It's gonna be carnage at first regardless of how it's been tested, as it's not been used to it's full extent, different refs will use it at different times at first and decisions will be given one way on one game and another way on another, there's still a human element to it thankfully.

I'm looking forward to it to be honest and I genuinely believe there will be a slight leveling up of decisions. Refs will be far more likely to take the help of VAR at Celtic Park or Ibrox (or a packed Tynecastle for that matter) where they perhaps would be swayed by a home crowd before.

Huge amounts of paranoia sloshing about on this thread though, and I get where it's coming from,but if anyone genuinely believes that those in charge of VAR will make sure that all the Celtic supporters are covering Celtics games and all the Rangers fans are covering the Rangers games then there's not really much help for you I'm afraid.

On 13/10/2022 at 13:31, Smoked-Glass said:

Scared it will spoil the game 

Na. Fairness is the way forward.  If games take longer and we win.  Will you be moaning.  I certainly wont😎

1 hour ago, Peteg75 said:

Na. Fairness is the way forward.  If games take longer and we win.  Will you be moaning.  I certainly wont😎

I will be moaning 

luckyBatistuta

Going to be interesting, but sadly it’s going to guarantee more weedge penalties and goals than everyone else, that’s the sad fact I’m afraid😞

13 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Going to be interesting, but sadly it’s going to guarantee more weedge penalties and goals than everyone else combined,that’s the sad fact I’m afraid😞

Ftfy. 👍

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Ftfy. 👍

🤣 probably. The fact they have a larger time of possession in the opponents third most of the time, just means they will have more VAR decisions and will no doubt get their more than fair share in their favour.

22 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

🤣 probably. The fact they have a larger time of possession in the opponents third most of the time, just means they will have more VAR decisions and will no doubt get their more than fair share in their favour.

Yeah. 
I honestly don’t see much changing with regard to how games will be officiated. The corruption/incompetence is so ingrained in Scottish football changing it by VAR is a pipe dream I feel.

It will not change the crap decisions they always seem to get that can change the flow of the game. As has been mentioned on here the one where Jota pulled up with a pulled thigh muscle right after we gained possession and were attacking their goal. Then inexplicably they restarted the game by giving possession to Celtic!!! Shit like that is not reviewable  and will continue to happen and continue to benefit them. 

8 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

The lack of goal line technology is the biggest scandal of it all. 

I was very surprised to read that. 

Prince Buaben
2 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I was very surprised to read that. 

Two separate systems is it not? Like in England Hawkeye run the goal line technology and VAR doesn't need to do that