Best place to live in Scotland......

Section Q

1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Kenmore - The Beach - AGB Scotland

There's a cracking wee beach at Kenmore on Loch Tay.

I go up a couple of times a year and either stay in one of the wee cottages that the local hotel own, or park the campervan in the field behind the main road. It's spectacular on a warm summer's day, and the loch is shallow enough at this end to walk right out so safe enough for kids.

Also amazing in the winter. The early morning mist over the loch on a freezing cold morning with the snow capped mountains poking out in the background is spectacular.

Looks tremendous. The sort of place to just relax and forget about things for a wee while. :thumbsup: For that. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• il Duce McTarkin

• FWJ

• the posh bit

51 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Alnmouth yep just over the border past Berwick but beautiful little village Tobermoryesque with the colourful houses 

Yep, it's lovely - as are nearby Alnwick and Warkworth - but I'd hardly call 35+ miles "just over the border..."!

Berwick is however and it's a cracking town: very historical, in a beautiful setting, friendly, and with some great pubs and eating-places. :icon14: 

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, it's lovely - as are nearby Alnwick and Warkworth.

Love both of these places. I have friends in Amble so visit that part of the world regularly.

The locals are spot on too.

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

I’m not sure that it is the only one - there’s a large beach at the head of Loch Laggan (on the road from Ft Wm to Newtonmore for eg.

6B7EECDC-67CB-4360-A8F9-54210B927B34.jpeg

That was the one I was thinking of! On the road to Spean Bridge from Dalwhinnie. 

Damn Google... 

5 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

I'm from Gala, there's not a lot there now sadly, it used to be a vibrant, buzzing, energetic town, and now it's a ghost town compared to when I was growing up. I'm in Fife now and I'm longing to move to Inverness or Nairn way, I absolutely love it up that neck of the woods. 

My two oldest and best friends are around Gala and I've got an uncle and two cousins there, so that's the connection.

We moved here from a few miles from Forres, I really liked it there, but a mate who still lives in Forres and says it's really went down hill since the RAF left, Nairn was going the way of bookies and charity shops when we left, still a great climate and beautiful beaches and countryside around there.

Bonnie Prince Charlie
On 29/09/2022 at 11:32, Pans Jambo said:

East Lothian is nice.

The train from Prestonpans to Waverley takes just 14 minutes and has just 2 stops at Wallyford and Musselburgh.

The A1 goes right through the county and its well served well by many regular buses (the 26 and the 128 etc.).

You can be in the city in 15 minutes, at the beach in 5 minutes or in the Lammermuir hills in 15 minutes.

I like Gifford, Dunbar, North Berwick and would love a rural house overlooking the Forth or somewhere rural.

Like anywhere else, it has its shitholes!

I lived in East Lothian for 34 years and I still visit my parents every week. North  Berwick, Dunbar and Haddington are lovely towns full of decent friendly people. On the other hand Prestonpans (I stayed there for 6 years) is a very much unfriendly place and same goes for Port Seton unless your family come from there. Tranent is a decent town as well and a bit more welcoming to incomers due to all the new houses

33 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Love both of these places. I have friends in Amble so visit that part of the world regularly.

The locals are spot on too.

:icon14:

1 hour ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Kenmore - The Beach - AGB Scotland

There's a cracking wee beach at Kenmore on Loch Tay.

I go up a couple of times a year and either stay in one of the wee cottages that the local hotel own, or park the campervan in the field behind the main road. It's spectacular on a warm summer's day, and the loch is shallow enough at this end to walk right out so safe enough for kids.

Also amazing in the winter. The early morning mist over the loch on a freezing cold morning with the snow capped mountains poking out in the background is magic.

This photo doesnae do it justice.

The photo doesn't do it justice and it is probably one of the most stunning places in the UK. Shame it's practically a private holiday estate now.

Killin on the other hand has kept its rural charm and its local community.

9 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

The photo doesn't do it justice and it is probably one of the most stunning places in the UK. Shame it's practically a private holiday estate now.

Shame the Crannogs burned down too.  Although they just announced they are rebuilding.

8 hours ago, Jamboref51 said:

Lunan . Beautiful beach. Couple of mikes from Arbroath and Montrose. Would move up there tomoro 

Rabid jellyfish, though! 

il Duce McTarkin
4 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Yeh, most of the locals working there that I speak to actually live in Dull (twinned with Boring, Oregon), or one of the other villages between Kenmore and Aberfeldy.

Lovely place, but on the downside, I've twatted the wing mirrors clean off the motorhome on the road between Killin and Kenmore two years on the bounce. :lol:

Passenger side first year when a workies van hooring down the opposite direction in the middle of the road forced me to clip a dyke, and the second time ****ed the driver side mirror when I refused to swerve for a workies van hooring down the opposite direction in the middle of the road. FFS. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Yeh, most of the locals working there that I speak to actually live in Dull (twinned with Boring, Oregon), or one of the other villages between Kenmore and Aberfeldy.

Lovely place, but on the downside, I've twatted the wing mirrors clean off the motorhome on the road between Killin and Kenmore two years on the bounce. :lol:

Passenger side first year when a workies van hooring down the opposite direction in the middle of the road forced me to clip a dyke, and the second time ****ed the driver side mirror when I refused to swerve for a workies van hooring down the opposite direction in the middle of the road. FFS. :lol:

Ouch! 

Its a busy place. First time I went there 20 years ago we were on the loch in pedallos. 😁 No chance of that now. 

It is a favourite spot of mine though, there isn't a view like it. 

12 minutes ago, briever said:

Shame the Crannogs burned down too.  Although they just announced they are rebuilding.

That's good news as the Crannogs just added to the sheer stunningness of the place. 

21 hours ago, inspector said:

Portmahomack. Has its own climate, golf course and pub. What more do you need?

Was up there a few weeks back.

Lovely wee place, Pub was shut though ☹️

il Duce McTarkin
21 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

Ouch! 

Its a busy place. First time I went there 20 years ago we were on the loch in pedallos. 😁 No chance of that now. 

It is a favourite spot of mine though, there isn't a view like it. 

Pretty sure there were pedallos on the go last summer.

Some of the wee timber boats with outboards that you can hire are pretty ropey when the swell is up.

We rented the big house at Craggantoul for my mother's 60th birthday, and I spent much of one day ferrying folk back and forth to Kenmore.

image.png.5fbcf1eb3b13e6e21c4e1b7d760605c7.png

1 minute ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Some of the wee timber boats with outboards that you can hire are pretty ropey when the swell is up.

We rented the big house at Craggantoul for my mother's 60th birthday, and I spent much of one day ferrying folk back and forth to Kenmore.

We used to stay in a wee place bear Fearnan, just along the road. It had a wee garden off the loch and you could take canoes out, it could get hard going. 

Big hot tub in the garden that looked out on the loch. I used to love sitting in that looking out over the loch and listening to the birds once the tub's cycle had stopped. A lovely way to pass the time. 

10 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

That big hoose looks pretty stunning too, what a way to see in your 60th. 👌

il Duce McTarkin
23 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

We used to stay in a wee place bear Fearnan, just along the road. It had a wee garden off the loch and you could take canoes out, it could get hard going. 

Big hot tub in the garden that looked out on the loch. I used to love sitting in that looking out over the loch and listening to the birds once the tub's cycle had stopped. A lovely way to pass the time. 

:sweeet: All the good stuff.

19 minutes ago, the posh bit said:

That big hoose looks pretty stunning too, what a way to see in your 60th. 👌

It is, nae cheap but would highly recommend. Sleeps loads so you can split the bill! :D 👍

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

That's good news as the Crannogs just added to the sheer stunningness of the place. 

The road from Aberfeldy to Kenmore is probably my favourite stretch of road in Scotland.

2 hours ago, Bonnie Prince Charlie said:

I lived in East Lothian for 34 years and I still visit my parents every week. North  Berwick, Dunbar and Haddington are lovely towns full of decent friendly people. On the other hand Prestonpans (I stayed there for 6 years) is a very much unfriendly place and same goes for Port Seton unless your family come from there. Tranent is a decent town as well and a bit more welcoming to incomers due to all the new houses

Not my experience. I actually moved to Port Seton. Heard all the stories about folk not being “one O’ Oo” but Ive never experienced that. Maybe its because folk from Port Seton go to the same school as folk from Prestonpans.  Pans is full of decent folks. Not denying theres drug dealing neds and some unsavioury tramps there too but which town doesnt. 

Haddington was as rough as dugz bawz back in the 80’s & 90’s. Same as most towns down here though. 

You saying Tranent is decent to a guy from the Pans is the same as saying Hibs are decent mate 😂

I’d like to move to either Dornoch when I’m an old ******* or out Cullen way, Cullen a lot cheaper than Dornoch so will probably go out that way . 

kinda bored of Inverness. 

2 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Stayed there for my stag do many years ago. Lovely place, spent many an hour on the balcony overlooking the loch drinking malts and talking pish.

Perthshire's definitely a place I could see myself retiring to. Some of the villages are stunning; Stanley, Blairgowrie, St Fillans etc are beautiful.

8 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Not my experience. I actually moved to Port Seton. Heard all the stories about folk not being “one O’ Oo” but Ive never experienced that. Maybe its because folk from Port Seton go to the same school as folk from Prestonpans.  Pans is full of decent folks. Not denying theres drug dealing neds and some unsavioury tramps there too but which town doesnt. 

Haddington was as rough as dugz bawz back in the 80’s & 90’s. Same as most towns down here though. 

You saying Tranent is decent to a guy from the Pans is the same as saying Hibs are decent mate 😂

Been in Port Seton all my life and I aint "Yin O Oo", Father from Pans, Mother from Port Seton, doesn't qualify. You're right, it's a "Crock O Shit"...:thumb:

highlandjambo3

If your ever over on the west coast and not sure where to go, go visit Applecross and you’ll drive this road:

p.s you often get some nuggets cycling up it.

61D49A08-043D-4546-A7BD-9FB39C8D4032.jpeg

5EC260BD-EB88-4762-AF17-E1789E08FA36.jpeg

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Irufushi said:

Nowt special up here . Not bad, not great, nothing more. 

I get what your saying but, I regard inverness as a hub for visiting any decent part of the highlands…….I always say to the tourists “West is best” imo.

Fxxx the SPFL
13 hours ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep, it's lovely - as are nearby Alnwick and Warkworth - but I'd hardly call 35+ miles "just over the border..."!

Berwick is however and it's a cracking town: very historical, in a beautiful setting, friendly, and with some great pubs and eating-places. :icon14: 

Christ is it 35 miles me and the wife go to London couple of times a year and when you see Alnmouth from the train you feel you’ve just past Berwick we’re thinking of doing a day trip to Alnmouth a few drinks and a meal. In-laws had a Static at Wooler we used to head over to Bamburgh lovely place as well

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

The drive up through Perthshire is good for the soul. I loved playing golf in Aberfeldy and Pitlochry on a jolly boys outing. 

doctor jambo
17 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Loch Morlich perhaps? The UK's only freshwater beach:

Loch Morlich Beach - Forestry and Land Scotland

It isn’t though. Loch Dee in Galloway has a number of them, the sand is golden as well.

13 hours ago, Tott said:

Was up there a few weeks back.

Lovely wee place, Pub was shut though ☹️

Pub opens at 5pm mon-sat, and 1pm on a Sunday. Crap times 

19 hours ago, ri Alban said:

has the iron works shut/been pulled down?

Ironworks is still open but planning permission has been granted for a hotel to replace it. Not sure when it's going to close.

the posh bit
6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

The drive up through Perthshire is good for the soul. I loved playing golf in Aberfeldy and Pitlochry on a jolly boys outing. 

It definitely is. 

The drive fron Oban to Fort William is something else too. 

1 minute ago, the posh bit said:

It definitely is. 

The drive fron Oban to Fort William is something else too. 

Definitely 👍

indianajones
On 29/09/2022 at 22:13, jonesy said:

Anywhere within a two-hour driving radius of both Tynie and some Munros.

Yep. Two hour radius gets you quite far if you stay east coast as well. 

Anywhere outwith any of the cities in Scotland (all shiteholes now). 

il Duce McTarkin
22 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Stayed there for my stag do many years ago. Lovely place, spent many an hour on the balcony overlooking the loch drinking malts and talking pish.

Perthshire's definitely a place I could see myself retiring to. Some of the villages are stunning; Stanley, Blairgowrie, St Fillans etc are beautiful.

Sounds great. The views from that balcony were awesome, then retreat to the kitchen to warm up around the wood burner in that big fireplace.

Aye, I could move up that way no problem. I looked at buying a wee holiday home in Crieff or Comrie a year or so ago but decided against it. Don't want to become part of the problem. If we were to buy up that way it would be a permanent arrangement.

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Castle Stalker ?   

12 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

Castle Stalker ?   

That’s the one.  Near Appin.

14 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Sounds great. The views from that balcony were awesome, then retreat to the kitchen to warm up around the wood burner in that big fireplace.

Aye, I could move up that way no problem. I looked at buying a wee holiday home in Crieff or Comrie a year or so ago but decided against it. Don't want to become part of the problem. If we were to buy up that way it would be a permanent arrangement.

Good on you, Dirk. :thumb:

21 hours ago, indianajones said:

Yep. Two hour radius gets you quite far if you stay east coast as well. 

Anywhere outwith any of the cities in Scotland (all shiteholes now). 

All of Scotland's cities are shiteholes?  What a load of crap.

indianajones
17 minutes ago, briever said:

All of Scotland's cities are shiteholes?  What a load of crap.

If Edinburgh is a shitehole (which its rapidly turning into), then yes, they are all shiteholes.

Lone Striker

Lots of interesting info and opinions from folk on this thread.   I think you'd have to actually spend a full 12 months living somewhere to be able to decide if its your dream location - whats it like in winter, is it overcrowded with tourists in the summer, are the roads in decent nick, what's the public transport like, is there decent pubs/restaurants etc,  does the  local neddery cause a regular nuisance,  is there decent access to  schools, doctors, dentists etc.    Oh, and does it have enough Jambos living there so as to run a bus or car-share  to matches !! 😎 

Big difference from spending 2 weeks on summer holiday somewhere.      Someone mentioned Cullen - lovely setting, nicely laid out town with  coastal and inland walks, golf & fishing, but just felt pretty run down.  Last time I was there, the Seafield Hotel  had shut down and the 3 shops we went in to were all run by  English folk who'd settled there to escape the rat-race.     

il Duce McTarkin
20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

the 3 shops we went in to were all run by  English folk who'd settled there to escape the rat-race.     

This is pretty common all over Scotland in my experience.

Who can blame them.

Lone Striker
28 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

This is pretty common all over Scotland in my experience.

Who can blame them.

Indeed.  If you've spent most of your life within 20 miles of London/Birmingham/Manchester etc, sleepy old Cullen must seem idyllic.   There was a  feature on the radio earlier this year about how various villages and small  towns in far-flung bits of Scotland  were seeing a reversal of their de-population due to young incomers from England with rural/country  skills.    Good to see, actually.   👍 

5 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Indeed.  If you've spent most of your life within 20 miles of London/Birmingham/Manchester etc, sleepy old Cullen must seem idyllic.   There was a  feature on the radio earlier this year about how various villages and small  towns in far-flung bits of Scotland  were seeing a reversal of their de-population due to young incomers from England with rural/country  skills.    Good to see, actually.   👍 

I’d rather we didn’t lose the young people who are actually from there, and one of the reasons is incomers pricing them out the housing market.