Berra and Driver staying.

Alan_R

could well have been posted but just saw on sky sports news that Csaba has been quoted saying Berra and Driver will NOT be sold! :)

could well have been posted but just saw on sky sports news that Csaba has been quoted saying Berra and Driver will NOT be sold! :)

Good news id say, with proper coaching id expect big things from both off them this season.:band2:

It's time now to build a decent squad, not sell. I'm not a big fan of Berra and, for me, a couple of solid centre-halves are needed. Berra's a decent enough squad player and I'd still keep him but not as first choice. Driver should'nt be going anywhere, he's still young and has a lot to prove yet, if he does stay, I'll be delighted.

Ron Burgundy
If they want to go they'll go.

Correct,but it does the asset stripping theory no good at all.

Drylaw Hearts
Correct,but it does the asset stripping theory no good at all.

What asset stripping theory ?

Gigolo-Aunt
It's time now to build a decent squad, not sell. I'm not a big fan of Berra and, for me, a couple of solid centre-halves are needed. Berra's a decent enough squad player and I'd still keep him but not as first choice. Driver should'nt be going anywhere, he's still young and has a lot to prove yet, if he does stay, I'll be delighted.

I would take the 2million and run if we can get it for Berra.

chester copperpot

My thoughts as well.

Think there's potential for Driver to improve, but I think with CB he's as good as he's ever going to be, so would rather have the 2M.

Chad Sexington

So would I.

We could replace him for half that IMO.

Gigolo-Aunt
So would I.

Russell Anderson (Tazio will now say he is injury prone :))

Thing is, I totally understand that the new man will of course take his time to assess the players - then decide who stays and who goes.

Suspect that players will again be given a chance, only for quite a lot of the players to show that again, they are not up to the job.

This is a perfect time to start again from scratch and let the manager build a new side.

Russell Anderson (Tazio will now say he is injury prone :))

Worse than that, an injury prone ponce. Too soft. Berra is quickly starting to relish the enforcer role in a defensive pair. Much as I like skillful defenders it helps if one of them can chuck his weight around a bit.

Gigolo-Aunt
Worse than that, an injury prone ponce. Too soft. Berra is quickly starting to relish the enforcer role in a defensive pair. Much as I like skillful defenders it helps if one of them can chuck his weight around a bit.

Not sure Anderson is too soft.

Not sure Anderson is too soft.

Diamond was the enforcer in their pairing.

I just liked the look of our defence last year with Berra and Karipidis together. Of course we need to get Karipidis to cut out the 2 or 3 lapses he has per game.

Gigolo-Aunt
Diamond was the enforcer in their pairing.

I just liked the look of our defence last year with Berra and Karipidis together. Of course we need to get Karipidis to cut out the 2 or 3 lapses he has per game.

Karapidis does not like heading balls as well as the rough and tumble that goes hand in hand with being a CH.

He may be decent on the deck, but If Anderson is a "ponce", not sure what Karapidis is.

Chad Sexington

I would take Anderson in a heartbeat.

I reckon he would be open to joining us as well.

I like Berra but if I was convinced we would bring in a decent replacement I would take the ?2m.

However I am not a fan of russell anderson, he definately would not be that answer.

Karapidis does not like heading balls as well as the rough and tumble that goes hand in hand with being a CH.

He may be decent on the deck, but If Anderson is a "ponce", not sure what Karapidis is.

I didn't say you weren't allowed a ponce in defence. You just need one of each variety of defender. A ponce and a thug. If Anderson replace Berra we would have 2 ponces. A ponce inbalance if you will. Ditto 2 thugs is as bad, but you concede fewer goals while scoring fewer as well.

Of course all of these theories are stolen from Italian football, for every Baresi you need a Gentile alongside him.

Gigolo-Aunt
I didn't say you weren't allowed a ponce in defence. You just need one of each variety of defender. A ponce and a thug. If Anderson replace Berra we would have 2 ponces. A ponce inbalance if you will. Ditto 2 thugs is as bad, but you concede fewer goals while scoring fewer as well.

Of course all of these theories are stolen from Italian football, for every Baresi you need a Gentile alongside him.

Baresi could handle himself on the park, make no bones about that.

For the life of me cant see how you think Anderson is a ponce, so will leave it there.

Guest Maroon Carpet

We have a manager now, so why would they want to go and leave the 3rd force in Scottish Football?

Hearts are trying to build a decent squad not deplete it.

:107years:

Only a Game
We have a manager now, so why would they want to go and leave the 3rd force in Scottish Football?

:107years:

Because we are not currently the third force in Scottish football and both of them will get more money, less grief and a more stable career, elsewhere.

Guest jambomickey

we shouldn't be selling any of our better players and christophe berra is certainly one of our better players

Charlie-Brown

Berra got his chance when Webster left so whilst I hope Berra stays a while longer when he does go then I hope we promote Sives or McGowan or Rapnik etc to replace him than spend money on another centre back when we already have Karipidis and Zaliukas as well.

Gigolo-Aunt
Berra got his chance when Webster left so whilst I hope Berra stays a while longer when he does go then I hope we promote Sives or McGowan or Rapnik etc to replace him than spend money on another centre back when we already have Karipidis and Zaliukas as well.

We may have CB's on the books, NMH - but are they of a good enough standard?

Only a Game
we shouldn't be selling any of our better players and christophe berra is certainly one of our better players

We shouldnt be touting them for sale thats for sure.

But if we've got players in the squad who dont want to be here under this new manager then we dont need them, shouldnt even entertain playing them, and should take whatever we can get for them.

Captain America

I'd take 2million for Berra in a heartbeat, never rated the lad, hides to much for my liking.

Anderson would be good signing and from what i've seen of McGowan, they would make good partnership.

All IMO

Charlie-Brown
We may have CB's on the books, NMH - but are they of a good enough standard?

We didn't know when Webster left if Berra would prove to be good enough - but with McGowan or Sives or Rapnik then Iam sure at least one of them will be good enough to develop into a capable replacement for Berra. We've always been good with centre backs. :)

That is still entirely up for debate

Lets see where we stand at the end of August. Csaba no doubt wants to build a decent squad. Lets see if he is actually allowed to.

So would I.

Problem with Berra is we're probably compairing him to the likes of Levein, David Weir, McPherson, McLaren and Pressley. We as a club have been very fortunate through the last 20 years or so having some of the best defenders in Scotland. Compare that with what Hibs have had in the same period and i think most fans would agree.

I'd be really keen to keep both of them but especially Berra. After a shaky start as captain I thought he improved through the last season and became easily our most reliable player. If he continues that improvement I think he'll be the rock we should build the defence around.

Berra wants to go.

Wolves have not given up hope off signing him.

Charlie-Brown

We will lose all or most of our best players sooner or later as they progress, we are not at the very top of the SPL nor in the Champions League and even if we were the players could still earn more in the English Premiership and top end of the Championship and also abroad, and this problem isn't unique to Hearts or SPL clubs, the Dutch clubs have been losing all their best players to richer rivals in the bigger leagues (Italy, England, Germany, Spain) for over 30 years now and the same is true in France & elsewhere.

The best we can do is enjoy our players while they are here & try to be successful, get the best transfer fee for them we can when they leave and enjoy the next group of players or kids making progress up the ladder.

For the life of me cant see how you think Anderson is a ponce, so will leave it there.

I just always remember the game against Aberdeen under Burley when Bednar and Jankauskas battered their defence into submission and Calderwood moaned about our big rough players after the game.

Drylaw Hearts
Berra wants to go.

Wolves have not given up hope off signing him.

I think it's been pretty obvious by GM's statements in the media over the last few weeks that a move to Wolves interests Berra.

FWIW - I think they'll get him.

zicoinexile

Can't understand the concern over CB leaving - 2M would be a great bit of business. Have a look at some of the goals we conceded last season - for a centre back he is poor in the air, uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and is NOT a leader of men.

We could get a captain and a half decent defender for half of what we sell him for - and lets not make any bones about it - if he wants to go, he should go - Csaba should only have to be asked to motivate players who want to play for us.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

Berra's overrated and not worth ?2 million. My only concern would be who we'd replace him with - if a decent replacement was guaranteed*, I'd take the money and run even at ?1.5 million, but I don't see that being the case.

*Obviously it's never guaranteed, what I mean is if we were actually going for a decent target.

Charlie-Brown
I think Berra will leave. I also think it would probably benifited from moving on.

I think he is a very decent players, however, he still has lot to learn. He would benifit from playing alongside an experienced CH who he get learn from.

I doubt he will get that at Tynie, we're he has effectively had to act as the senior player.

I think Berra gets a lot of unfair stick because people say he's not a captain. I'm not sure if he is or isn't. I think its possible to be a leader pre, hopefully, Casa.

The fact that he stood up and wanted the captancy when no one else was prepared to take it, shows to me he could be a leader.

If we got 2m, that would be decent business. Though I would be fearful if we would replace him with anyone of the same standard.

The lad may have his detractors, however, still our best CH by some distance IMO.

I agree with almost all of this LBJ however I think we should replace Berra (if he does go) from what we already have - promoting from within same as we did with Berra replacing Webster.

Drylaw Hearts
I agree with almost all of this LBJ however I think we should replace Berra (if he does go) from what we already have - promoting from within same as we did with Berra replacing Webster.

Only if there is someone ready though.

And I'm not sure there is.

Charlie-Brown
Only if there is someone ready though.

And I'm not sure there is.

Karipidis & Zaliukas apart Eggert Jonsson can play at centre back if needed however the youngsters McGowan & Sives (if recovered) are about ready to play now same as Berra was in mid-2006 - certainly they are only months away at most from being ready certainly not seasons or years - Rapnik can step up more gradually same with Balatoni.

Drylaw Hearts
Karipidis & Zaliukas apart Eggert Jonsson can play at centre back if needed however the youngsters McGowan & Sives (if recovered) are about ready to play now same as Berra was in mid-2006 - certainly they are only months away at most from being ready certainly not seasons or years - Rapnik can step up more gradually same with Balatoni.

Zaliukas is awful and will hopefully be shipped back to FBK Kaunas.

Berra had the benefit of Pressley playing beside him when he came into the team.

The players you have mentioned, may be ready ( although I have my doubts ) but they will not have that.

This Season would not be a good time to throw in a bunch of youth players.

The pressure on them delivering would be too great.

Eggert Jonsson can play at centre back if needed

Please tell me you are joking.

Charlie-Brown
Zaliukas is awful and will hopefully be shipped back to FBK Kaunas.

Berra had the benefit of Pressley playing beside him when he came into the team.

The players you have mentioned, may be ready ( although I have my doubts ) but they will not have that.

This Season would not be a good time to throw in a bunch of youth players.

The pressure on them delivering would be too great.

I think Zaliukas is capable of being an SPL level defender and Karipidis started to show some leadership qualities in the 2nd part of last season.

If McGowan & Sives don't get the chance to play now then when? We had to take a chance on relatively unproven youth when we put Webster, Gordon & Berra into the team and people made the same arguments then as you make now but they played and they benefitted from it. Conversely Lee Wallace progress has stalled by putting Fyssas & Goncalves in ahead of him.

This season is as good a season as any to introduce more youth in my opinion if not now then when? there is never an 'ideal' time or season it should be an ongoing process.

Charlie-Brown
Please tell me you are joking.

He played there against Barcelona when he came on - he has also played this position before in the reserves & youths.

Guest Maroon Carpet

If he does get sold I hope it's to a team in England or abroad, certainly not to one of our rivals, that would be crazy.

He played there against Barcelona when he came on - he has also played this position before in the reserves & youths.

And? He's barely big/physical enough to be a midfielder, never mind a central defender.

I think Zaliukas is capable of being an SPL level defender and Karipidis started to show some leadership qualities in the 2nd part of last season.

Baffling to think your happy to get rid of Berra but keep Zaliukas. No one in the squad at the moment is good to enough to replace Berra. he shouldn't be captain but certainly he should be the first name out when picking a centre half.

Charlie-Brown
Baffling to think your happy to get rid of Berra but keep Zaliukas. No one in the squad at the moment is good to enough to replace Berra. he shouldn't be captain but certainly he should be the first name out when picking a centre half.

Who said I was 'happy' to get rid of Berra? Iam realistic there is a good chance he will leave and possibly also wants the move so we are discussing the best way of replacing him should he leave, I'd promote from within.

Who said I was 'happy' to get rid of Berra? Iam realistic there is a good chance he will leave and possibly also wants the move so we are discussing the best way of replacing him should he leave, I'd promote from within.

Sorry i thought i read on another thread we should get rid of him. Regardless there is no way we have anyone in the squad to replace him.

Drylaw Hearts

Zaliukas is a liability imo.

And Karapidis is stready but doesn't have that stature required to be a great leader on the park.

If McGowan & Sives don't get the chance to play now then when? We had to take a chance on relatively unroven youth when we put Webster, Gordon & Berra into the team and people made the same arguments then as you make now but they played and they benefitted from it. Conversely Lee Wallace progress has stalled by putting Fyssas & Goncalves in ahead of him.

Is McGowan not a CM'er ?

As for Sives he's been around for 4 or 5 years IIRC and doesn't seem to have progressed much. I realise he's had injury problems but even still....

Wallace has stalled I agree but that may be down to more than just not getting a game - coaching etc.

This season is as good a season as any to introduce more youth in my opinion if not now then when? there is never an 'ideal' time or season it should be an ongoing process.

The pressure from the fans on VR and Csaba to have a good season is massive. We've seen in the past that patience is thin on the ground when the team is losing or not playing well.

It ruins players imo and Elliot is a great example of that.

Archived