Mini Budget

Dazo

31 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm glad it's hard to track what I believe in because I believe in a lot of very different and contradictory things. I think we all do.

Unfortunately I disagree. We do need to move people and goods around as much as we do because our whole economic model has built it and depends on it.

Take people. I moved out to East Lothian 10 years ago, partly from choice and partly to get the kind of property I needed and could afford. As a result I could not work, nor could my wife without a car. Public transport starts late and finishes early down here and there's no connectivity between buses and trains. It's not an integrated transport system.

Major cities are emptying because people can't afford to live in them. Edinurgh is full of Air BnB and Student accommodation. Anything that comes on the market is generally gone quickly for well over the asking price. How do the people who can't afford to live in them get to their workplaces which are generally still in them?

Basics like food. It's not about 'out of season' foods. It's about staples. The food you eat day to day isn't grown where you live. It isn't even sold where you live any more. The supermarkets took out the greengrocer, the butcher, the baker, the local shop and everything is now in one location, which isn't local to where most people live. 

Like it or not everything around you has food miles or miles attached to it. That's just reality. 

I respect what you're saying and it may indicate your own circumstances but for me shank's pony or the humble bike isn't getting me to where I need to be to provide for my family. 

The one constant in my beliefs is this: I hate the Tories and everything that they stand for. 

Very good post and it warrants a longer reply which I'd typed but don't have time for a debate this morning sadly.

I still believe we need to change our wants, ways of living and expectations. The government aren't going to do it for us. The current economic model is fundamentally reliant on haves and have nots...there isn't an equitable version. I still think those who want all the convenience of cheap human and product mobility but also want equity for for all are trying to have their cake and eat it too. We need a much more drastic change to how we live, not a change in rosette. If a step on that road comes in the form of people being priced out of long commutes and buying things less travelled, so be it. As someone living in East Lothian with all of the great produce around, I'd be shocked if you couldn't eat and source a well balanced diet locally. I still drive to my local Tesco, but if that became less convenient/more expensive then I'd buy local produce from local businesses all of the time rather than some of the time..necessity becomes key to change imo and higher fuel prices moves us closer to that, so I welcome it.

Still turned into a long reply, maybe I'm just a 'young' person who'd really have been better suited to living in another era 🤣

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Mighty Thor

• Mikey1874

• Victorian

• ri Alban

The Mighty Thor
39 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Very good post and it warrants a longer reply which I'd typed but don't have time for a debate this morning sadly.

I still believe we need to change our wants, ways of living and expectations. The government aren't going to do it for us. The current economic model is fundamentally reliant on haves and have nots...there isn't an equitable version. I still think those who want all the convenience of cheap human and product mobility but also want equity for for all are trying to have their cake and eat it too. We need a much more drastic change to how we live, not a change in rosette. If a step on that road comes in the form of people being priced out of long commutes and buying things less travelled, so be it. As someone living in East Lothian with all of the great produce around, I'd be shocked if you couldn't eat and source a well balanced diet locally. I still drive to my local Tesco, but if that became less convenient/more expensive then I'd buy local produce from local businesses all of the time rather than some of the time..necessity becomes key to change imo and higher fuel prices moves us closer to that, so I welcome it.

Still turned into a long reply, maybe I'm just a 'young' person who'd really have been better suited to living in another era 🤣

Cheers for the reply. It could run into a thread all of it's own. 

We do use local butchers bakers and the local organic fruit and veg guys do boxes which we get too. I've got tatties and sprouts galore on my doorstep but I don't think Scottish Water's victorian sewerage system could cope with that kind of change of diet. 

If you stop and think of the transit miles for everything we do it's incredible. Putting that genie back in the bottle is one for the ages. 

Jeffros Furios

It's disgusting to see photos of Hunt sitting down after the statement with a huge grin and getting back slapped and cheered by those around him .

It's as if he's given us good news ! 

I ****in detest these *******s and can't believe how anyone can keep voting for them. 

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It's disgusting to see photos of Hunt sitting down after the statement with a huge grin and getting back slapped and cheered by those around him .

I ****in detest these *******s and can't believe how anyone can keep voting for them. 

It certainly was horrific viewing.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
5 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

It's exactly what those thieving  c****s did after the last budget.

WorldChampions1902
5 hours ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Lest we forget.

6DA8035D-B8CE-48B1-8A74-14841E4E9B2D.jpeg

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Lest we forget.

6DA8035D-B8CE-48B1-8A74-14841E4E9B2D.jpeg

Tax levels at their highest since the end of a war that destroyed tens of millions of lives and laid waste to an entire continent and reduced it to rubble.

Back then the cash built the Nhs and set up pensions and rebuilt Europe and our devastated cities.

What, exactly , is all this money being spent on?

7 hours ago, Dazo said:

Lifestyle on benefits isn’t a choice apparently according to the non expert experts on jkb. 😂

They get just about everything wrong so I wouldn’t back that horse. 

Are you a staunch apologist for the junta this week?  Or conveniently critical of them to appear on trend?  Hard to keep up.

I wouldn't back a horse in the Dazo Handicap Hurdle.  One jockey keeps jumping between the two runners.

WorldChampions1902
15 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Tax levels at their highest since the end of a war that destroyed tens of millions of lives and laid waste to an entire continent and reduced it to rubble.

Back then the cash built the Nhs and set up pensions and rebuilt Europe and our devastated cities.

What, exactly , is all this money being spent on?

Your use of the word “spent”, suggests a degree of fiscal responsibility in the manner with which this Junta utilises our taxes. I suggest “fritter away” or in the case of COVID, “criminally fraudulent misappropriation of public funds”.

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are you a staunch apologist for the junta this week?  Or conveniently critical of them to appear on trend?  Hard to keep up.

I wouldn't back a horse in the Dazo Handicap Hurdle.  One jockey keeps jumping between the two runners.

I kinda get where he is coming from.

However, until everyone from the age of 5 realises that you are only ever going to be paid what your labour is worth in an open marketplace with lots of competition, so you better get your head down , and work hard- or realise that what you do is not worth much to an employer then we are stuck at an impasse .

1 minute ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Your use of the word “spent”, suggests a degree of fiscal responsibility in the manner with which this Junta utilises our taxes. I suggest “fritter away” or in the case of COVID, “criminally fraudulent misappropriation of public funds”.

I agree totally.

I don’t understand how this has happened - and that’s across all countries.

How 2 ****ing boats can cost  a quarter of a billion ,

a tram line even more, hospitals hundreds of millions but are full of pigeon shit and have no free beds,

and public sector workers are penalised ?

the waste in ALL governments must run to hundreds of billions .

Otherwise where the hell is it all?

Thats before HS2 etc.

Who has all the money?

It’s about time all off shore funds were seized and you have to apply to get it back and show where it came from and all dues paid on it .

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Yep being on trend is definitely in my thought process Vic. 😂😂😂

I’m staunch Dazo and his family. Apart from Hearts very little room for much else Vic. You gave me too much credit for thinking I care about being on trend. 😊