Help solve a mystery please!

thegreatsd

Good afternoon all. 

Around May in 2000 my wee sister was in Hollywood on holiday. When they were passing a cinema there was some guy outside signing autographs and posing for pictures. There were lots of young ladies all shouting at him something like ‘We love you Sam’.

I’m a bit of a film buff and have no idea who the guy in the photos is. Every few years the subject pops up and it has me stumped. My sister had assumed he was something to do with mission impossible 2 film as there was lots of posters for that around but I think that’s perhaps just a coincidence. 

I know kickback is top notch at its sleuth work so I will leave it to see if we can work some magic and solve this 22 year old mystery. There’s a few pictures including his autograph which appears to be  something like Sam Freedman perhaps but that doesn’t seem to attach to a film star or director about that time. 

8E5604D7-E4ED-475C-9DB9-C8A8C5B96E41.jpeg

CCD132C6-8A71-48EF-956F-B4CF5C4BE0A2.jpeg

9B9A8E9B-A1FA-4406-B36F-99D2EED2A7BC.jpeg

FF929708-C5C0-407D-AB00-C8ABCBE91DFE.jpeg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thegreatsd

• Pap

• Greedy Jambo

• Vlad Magic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One other wee bit of information. My sister spoke to him briefly and the guy asked her if she had seen his film. She politely replied “not yet”. He was American. 

25 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He looks a bit like Sam Witwer. Just a wee bit.

Yeah. I had a look at him before but he didn’t really do anything till after 2000 so I ruled him out. He has the same ears and the dimple chin though. 

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

The surname looks like Freedman maybe but can't find a Hollywood actor by that name.

Yeah. I thought that as well. Now it’s just dawned on me that it starts with a T as it’s the same as the T in the ‘To Lucy’ bit. 

4 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it looks a bit like sam jaeger

He didn’t do anything till after 2000 though so I think we can rule him out too. Does look similar though. 

18 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Sam Raimi the director?

That was who I hoped it was but the guy in the photos seems to be in much better jawline shape than Raimi was around that time. Also he has a very different signature. 

Just since that revelation that the second name begins with a T…. Would it be Sam Travolta? Johns brother perhaps? Can only see one picture of him googling and it’s quite similar?

10 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

Yeah. I thought that as well. Now it’s just dawned on me that it starts with a T as it’s the same as the T in the ‘To Lucy’ bit. 

Could the 'To Lucy' actually be 'For Lucy'?

Thus hinting at an 'F' surname...?

2 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

Just since that revelation that the second name begins with a T…. Would it be Sam Travolta? Johns brother perhaps? Can only see one picture of him googling and it’s quite similar?

Looks nothing like Travolta on the signature. I think it starts with a F and ends in a M. If you look at they way Sam ends and the surname they are similar.

Stuart McNeill
10 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

John travolta was in a movie called battlefield earth and the premiere was 10th May 2000 in hollywoo

Could possibly be, but the signature doesnt lool correct. 

As boof said earlier, i read initially as for rather than to Lucy. 

Edited by Stuart McNeill

1 minute ago, Vlad Magic said:

677122FC-C766-4381-8CC9-E133938E8797.png

It does look like him eh? But then the OP photo was taken 20 years ago. He looks like he hasn't aged if that was the case?

4 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

It does look like him eh? But then the OP photo was taken 20 years ago. He looks like he hasn't aged if that was the case?

I don’t know when the photo I posted was taken so can’t say either way.

11 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

677122FC-C766-4381-8CC9-E133938E8797.png

That was a great shout as it really looks like him. He didn’t move into the film stuff till after  2000 unfortunately. For a minute I thought you had nailed it as well. 

7 minutes ago, jambo89 said:

Could it be a reality star with a bit part in a movie? Someone from 'The Bachelor" or something?

Quite possibly or perhaps a sportsman that was in a documentary or something?

Dick Dastardly

Are those posters for a film in the background? A storm is coming? Could be a tag line for a film, maybe? 

Edit. Beaten to it! 😂 

Edited by Dick Dastardly

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Are those posters for a film in the background? A storm is coming? Could be a tag line for a film, maybe? 

Edit. Beaten to it! 😂 

that tagline is the perfect storm, the poster on the left is mission impossible 2

As we're now into long shot territory, actor Sam Freed with dyed hair and looking young for his age. The hairline is very similar, shorter on the left.

160752_v9_ba.jpg

Edited by redjambo

48 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Josh Hopkins.

Poster behind says “The Storm is coming”

He was in “The Perfect Storm” premier  in 2000

Checked that earlier while on the bus. Closest i thought.

56 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

People seem to be ignoring the signature and what he looks actually looks like 😂

Helpful as ever Terry.

Stick to Talk Hearts where all the pricks hang out. You are right at home there.

16 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Helpful as ever Terry.

Stick to Talk Hearts where all the pricks hang out. You are right at home there.

You've got issues like. 

6 minutes ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

Wow. This took a turn.

Haha. Good old Kickback! I think some have lost focus of the job in hand here. I’m expecting everyone to be ploughing through pages and pages of premiers in Hollywood to find this guy! Lol. 
Come on lads, be nice to each other and get back on the case👍😄

4 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

Haha. Good old Kickback! I think some have lost focus of the job in hand here. I’m expecting everyone to be ploughing through pages and pages of premiers in Hollywood to find this guy! Lol. 
Come on lads, be nice to each other and get back on the case👍😄

I've tried, my conclusion is, he was the director of some obscure film that nobody has seen.