4-2-3-1. Alternatives to Boyce.

No Idle Talk

On 25/08/2022 at 23:44, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

A new signing.

He is probably the best current player in that position but he is costing us goals/games so we need an improvement.

For example since January:

1. That isn’t the first time he has tripped over his feet when clean through. It’s happened more than once.

2. That isn’t the first time he has switched to his weaker foot and a shite angle when he could have shot. Happened way more than once.

3. It also isn’t the first time he has missed a free header at the back post. Happened at least another twice.

Far too many repeating mistakes. We genuinely should be able to upgrade on this relatively easily.

Sadly that's the case.  He gets himself into great potions then stuffs up. 

I don't like watching him. The number of times the ball gets caught under his feet, scuffs his pass or shot, or he appears to be in slow motion compared to the defenders around him. The other day I said he looks like he plays football on a bowl of porridge...

16 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I don't like watching him. The number of times the ball gets caught under his feet, scuffs his pass or shot, or he appears to be in slow motion compared to the defenders around him. The other day I said he looks like he plays football on a bowl of porridge...

He’s always had faults and been a bit indecisive. He does a lot of work but the chances he misses are getting ridiculous. 

As part of our evolution, Boyce will become a squad player rather than a starter. Playing European opposition will further expose his flaws… slow (in mind and in body) and a distinct lack of goal threat. He’ll be an adequate replacement when resting players against the weaker Scottish sides.

He had three big moments against Zurich and fluffed them all, two badly.

A better striker would likely have got two goals on Thursday or forced their keeper into a couple of outstanding saves.

On 26/08/2022 at 00:14, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But he doesn’t even really score goals anymore. 2 this year 😂

Not had any pens…

BigPhysicalHearts
13 hours ago, OTT said:

nope. He still needs too long on the ball. Boyce was great 2 years ago. Sadly he’s regressed. The bench is the best place for him. Either he makes an impact from there, or it lights a fire under his arse to sharpen up. Either way, we shouldn’t be looking to shoehorn him in any further. He’s been given the 10 role because Shanks is better as a striker. 

Sign a real 10 and let Boyce compete with Shankland.

Fair point about not shoehorning him in, I just remember seeing something about Joelinton at Newcastle moving from striker into midfield and having some great performances and it got me thinking about Boyce.

He definitely needs to start taking some of these chances and being a bit quicker moving the ball on. I still think he's a good player and we seem to be a better team with him on the pitch.

22 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

(And before I get another of these "we're entitled to criticise" replies. Yes, you are. But why? It's not so long since many here expressed doubts about our current manager. How foolish do they look now? But they'll find reasons to justify their relentless daftness.)

Come on now.  If all those with the knowledge don't all come on and post about how they "always knew Boyce was shite" or that they've "been saying it for ages", how would we possibly know their great football knowledge and superior reading of the game?

We'd be left thinking erroneously they were just bang average office workers or braindead ex members of the armed forces.

On 25/08/2022 at 22:43, FFSJohn said:

I really do think Boyce is not good enough and needs replacement shortly.

away you go fool,man is one of the mainstays in our team,has been since he arrived here.

Guess we are going to see it now. 

Will be interesting to see if we can match the same intensity in the press and to what extent we miss his aerial ability. 

I guess it will be Grant at 10 and Keo at 6 or 8 with Devlin. Those two will need to graft.