***Official Heart of Midlothian vs FC Zurich Match Thread - live on BBC Scotland ***

tartofmidlothian

TyphoonJambo
Just now, whodanny said:

I've got a long weary road home. Won't be home till after 1am. Good night kickback. And guys, dinnae be silly. Hearts were good tonight. Grant wasn't.

Safe Journey bud.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Pasquale for King

• iantjambo

• Geoff Kilpatrick

Just now, indianajones said:

Pant wetters get yourselves to bed. 

We were excellent tonight. Harshly done by and probably should've won. 

Plenty to be positive about. That's the Swiss champions ffs. 

We were very dominant and failed to capitalise on it. I'm not sure I'd class that as excellent. 

I've lost the rag a bit tonight (:lol:), but I'm so ****ing gutted by that. The game could have been won and out of sight if we'd had just a little bit of quality up front. 

Really heart breaking performance because Cochrane, Devlin and McKay especially were outstanding and should take a lot of heart from that. I think its clear we need reinforcements this transfer window. 

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Folk blaming Grant can F off. It was never a yellow for the first challenge. 

Probably not in Scotland but you don’t get away with tackles like that in Europe. 

However,  he knew fine well he was on a yellow and decided to try to cheat for a penalty.  Anyone defending him for cheating can F off!  Cost us any chance we had of getting through (not convinced we would have scored but the tie was over there and then. 

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, Mr. T said:

Hard to lose that way.

But that performance was great, and I want to see what we can do in the conference league if we can keep that level up. Albeit with better finishing. 

criticism of Boyce on here is a bit harsh. He’s short on confidence, hence that moment where he could’ve taken it on the right but wanted to make it more of a sure thing on his left. Too much second guessing himself. Once he gets one goal he’ll get a bunch.

Oh, its confidence thats the issue.

Dick Dastardly

Barry McKay is obviously our most talented player,  i dont think i need to say that. He created so many chances early on.  He went missing in the second half though.  We need someone to take the pressure and the defenders away from him at times. 

Although I’m not normally a Sibbick hater. That boy doesn’t go past halckett, rowles or Kingsley in the same way…

or dare I say souttar. 

Watt-Zeefuik

One more thought before I log off.

Tynecastle on a European night, even a sore one like this, is absolutely a beautiful thing. I'm glad we get more of this for this season. We need this every year.

TyphoonJambo

We need a performance on Sunday. After 3 defeats in a row. Don't let the rot set in.

manaliveits105
4 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No,  but he knew he was on a yellow and made that stupid dive.  He was part of a brilliant forward line before that.  He didn't need to dive.  

Correct but ref would have given it for Zurich - it was clear from early on he has a Swiss Bank account 

17 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

We were all over them for an hour.  If Grant hadn't dived it would have been a different story 

If boyce could shoot it would have been a different story.

and maybe grant doesn’t need to dive

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

We needed to sign a number of players who were better than we had last year and we didn't. 

Grant is a ****ing moron. Interested to know if the club will punish him for that. He's looked out of his depth and to let the club, his teammates and the fans down with that sort of behaviour is unforgivable. 

This.

It turns out trawling tin pot English lower league clubs for sows ears does not silk purses make.

Who knew? 

3 minutes ago, maltese jambo said:

I think tonight as well as the first leg have shown up our individuals weaknesses really badly. Haring was atrocious in the first leg continually slowing down play and giving the ball away and if truth be told he's been poor for a while. Why is he getting games?

Tonight, I'm sorry but Liam Boyce is just not good enough for this level; I'm not really sure what is level is either. Summed up early doors when he was played thru and he had no clue what to do.

Sibbick is another one who shouldn't really be in the first team, he's clearly not good enough.

Why are we consistently fielding players who have proved they aren't good enough? Far too many passengers.

The money going into the club should be getting better results.

On the plus side I thought Barrie Mackay was the best player on the park and is clearly quality. Cochrane seems to just waltz through games as well. 

Mostly agree. Fact is, we haven't got enough strength in depth. Need some better players

Something needs to be said about the serious lack of recruitment.  Why haven’t we signed more forwards going into the season and Europe.  What is actually going on? 

Geoff Kilpatrick

It could be worse for Grant. He could be Lithuanian and endure the casual racism that goes with that too.

Still, at least Miko's dive was successful. :)

manaliveits105
1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Superb first half but lack of goals lost us the game 

And Sibbick should never play for us again 

Hopeless 

It deflected off him

Mickey Stewart dived at home to Motherwell and claimed he was anticipating contact, fair enough perhaps Grant was doing the same.

Ive been out the loop for a few weeks but just wondered if Dundee United were still in the Europa Conference?

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Rud1Skacel said:

Although I’m not normally a Sibbick hater. That boy doesn’t go past halckett, rowles or Kingsley in the same way…

or dare I say souttar. 

Say Souttar if you want. He would have been injured anyway as he was before ****ing us over. Injury prone *****.

Just now, thewiseone said:

Mickey Stewart dived at home to Motherwell and claimed he was anticipating contact, fair enough perhaps Grant was doing the same.

Ive been out the loop for a few weeks but just wondered if Dundee United were still in the Europa Conference?

They were pumped 7-1 on aggregate 

Dick Dastardly
Just now, manaliveits105 said:

Correct but ref would have given it for Zurich - it was clear from early on he has a Swiss Bank account 

Yeah,  the ref was shocking and, as i said earlier,  he is going away home with some stolen Jewish artwork.  That still doesn't justify Grant diving.  He was playing so well up till then.  

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

He played well tonight I thought in general but **** me for a striker he has become shit shy.Its like he questions every chance he gets and ways comes up with the wrong answer.

His confidence in front of goal is completely gone which is a real shame because him and McKay link so well together.

He can't really have played well,  you just described everything about why he didn't play well. A few flicks here & there dont make up for a complete lack of anything notable when he gets into great areas. A better player could have scored two tonight. Or at least hit the target. 

2 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Safe Journey bud.

Thanks TJ, I could go a drink. A snooze on the train and a very large whisky when I get home. We go again on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, Scallywag said:

Can't believe Boyce is getting slaughtered. I thought some of his link play was brilliant tonight . 

Proud of my club tonight. Some day we will catch a bit of luck.

He played well but his confidence has gone in front of goal.Forget the header that happens but other ones were the strike is on. I just don't know what he is thinking

Dick Dastardly
2 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

If ma granny had baws she'd be ma grandad

Just now, Cade said:

Sibbick isn't very good.

Boyce is getting worse by the game.

Less said about Grant the better.

Grant played well tonight.  Stupid dive but him and Devlin were strolling it

2 minutes ago, Scallywag said:

Can't believe Boyce is getting slaughtered. I thought some of his link play was brilliant tonight . 

Proud of my club tonight. Some day we will catch a bit of luck.

Because you don't get to miss the chances he'd had teed up to him and win games. 

Boyce works incredibly hard but the quality just isn't there. The guy is a striker that has played as a striker for his entire career but appears to not really have much of a strikers instinct, he's scored a lot for us, but he's also missed a barrel load of sitters and decent chances too. I think if you put the onus on a player who is like that, you're going to be let down an awful lot. 

I don't want to sound like a dick but all the quality link up play in the world counts for nothing if you cannot score the chances he was afforded in the first half. They had Shankland locked down which was creating the space for Boyce to do something and he just wasn't taking it. Hugely disappointing performance from him. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Hate to say it, but I was wary of the diving tactics of their players before a ball was kicked at the first leg!

We needed a strong ref for this game, but, he played Zurich game for them!

2 first half bookings for fair challenges, but their players rolling around and the ref bought it?

Grant's penalty claim, I would say there was contact and he went down, 2nd booking and Zurich took it with both hands!!!

It was a great game from Hearts, if it was a better ref it could have been so different.

Nearly forgot about the challenge on Rowles, could have easily been red, nothing but a foul????

pettigrewsstylist
5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Listen, tonight was a sore one.

By all means let it sting, let it hurt, but tomorrow get watching the group stage draw and get your trips planned, more European games coming up.

Yip, lets move, and get Savage on the case !

Kickback at its finest 

If that was Sunday Grant wins a penalty 

Nature of the beast we have In Scotland

Boyle and Kyogo get away with that shit consistently 

very poor Belgian referee

Sent 4 players off in his last 7 games prior to tonight 

maltese jambo
Just now, Cade said:

Sibbick isn't very good.

Boyce is getting worse by the game.

Less said about Grant the better.

I actually think Grant was playing really well and showed some good football. Yes, ultimately he's cost us the tie I think. I hope he realises the severity of what he's done and I hope the management take appropriate action because that kind of thing shouldn't be taking place at Hearts. 

CloustonHMFC
1 minute ago, Des Lynam said:

It’s irrelevant if his first booking was actually a booking or not. He was booked and dived in their box while on a booking. His fault. 

Just now, thewiseone said:

:rofl:

nope.

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

He played well but his confidence has gone in front of goal.Forget the header that happens but other ones were the strike is on. I just don't know what he is thinking

Agree Boyce has lost his goal instinct

Just now, tiger Rudi said:

He can't really have played well,  you just described everything about why he didn't play well. A few flicks here & there dont make up for a complete lack of anything notable when he gets into great areas. A better player could have scored two tonight. Or at least hit the target. 

His link up play was very good and in general play I thought he done well.Something is totally amiss with him in front of goal though no doubt , he has become shot shy.

1 minute ago, OTT said:

Because you don't get to miss the chances he'd had teed up to him and win games. 

Boyce works incredibly hard but the quality just isn't there. The guy is a striker that has played as a striker for his entire career but appears to not really have much of a strikers instinct, he's scored a lot for us, but he's also missed a barrel load of sitters and decent chances too. I think if you put the onus on a player who is like that, you're going to be let down an awful lot. 

I don't want to sound like a dick but all the quality link up play in the world counts for nothing if you cannot score the chances he was afforded in the first half. They had Shankland locked down which was creating the space for Boyce to do something and he just wasn't taking it. Hugely disappointing performance from him. 

👍

12 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

My opinion, A lot of refs would have given that as a  pen. Every EPL manager will drill their players to do the same. So many times we don't go down when we could have and we moan about it. Fine margins. Lets not crucify the guy. He gets the decision he's a god. Tonight he's a tit. Tight margins but we need two strikers. 

We’ll put 

Dick Dastardly

Anyway,  I've got a big bag of chocolate buttons,  a large mint aero and a £1 bag of cheese crisps sitting there, I'm gonna see if i can get my diabetes to kill me now. 

Adios ya grumpy sibbick blaming,  Boyce hating twat faces 💕 💕 

Zurich forward goes down twice in box in first half clearly looking for a pen and no yellow, referee telling him to get up ,then basically 2foots Rowles no yellow, cant get my head around this european mentality

On 14/08/2022 at 17:10, Robbies Tackle said:

To avoid the thunder and lightning. 

7 minutes ago, theo1874 said:

Agree his first yellow was a joke and should not have been given,  but diving for a penalty when knowingly on a yellow is shear stupidity. He has to shoulder the blame for that. 

Unfortunately it was a tackle from

behind. In Europe, doesn’t even matter if you win the ball, contact the player in any way and it’s a yellow card

4 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

It's a learning curve must take our chances and concentrate! Nowt to do with Neilson the players must learn and learn Quick 

avhudtheteeshirt
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Unfortunately it was a tackle from

behind. In Europe, doesn’t even matter if you win the ball, contact the player in any way and it’s a yellow card

Replay showed no contact????

Edited by avhudtheteeshirt

Watched the Grant dive back a few times. He’s gone down anticipating the challenge coming in. Defender pulls out. Grant looks like a tit. I feel the ref could’ve let it go and there wouldn’t have been much outrage from Zurich. It was no worse than a couple of their own. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Kickback at its finest 

If that was Sunday Grant wins a penalty 

Nature of the beast we have In Scotland

Boyle and Kyogo get away with that shit consistently 

very poor Belgian referee

Sent 4 players off in his last 7 games prior to tonight 

Nah. 

If he wasn't on a booking you maybe try that. 

If on a booking- shot or cross. 

The worse thing was he was in control of the ball and could have even scored. He was in a great position. 

Cost us the chance of the win with a daft decision. 

13 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Regardless, at the point he dived to try and win a penalty (& it was a dive), he KNEW he was already on a yellow!

Maybe Robbie should have subbed him at HT. 

Grant and Boyce were the weak links tonight. 

1 minute ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

Reply showed no contact????

Havent seen it yet but looked to me like the trailing leg caught him