30 years of the Premier League

Locky

I like watching it when I can, just for the array of talent they have on display. I can't bring myself to support another team in the same sport though. Just feels weird.

Never really understood Scottish Hearts fans who decide they also support Man United, Liverpool etc and get all excited when they win trophies. 

Byyy The Light
On 07/08/2022 at 00:09, Bazzas right boot said:

This. 

And the women's game will see these benefits soon. 

It's also where Scottish league made a huge error of judgement.  England focused on marketing the league, Scotland focused on marketing the OF.

Unknown user
14 hours ago, RottingdeanJambo said:

I’m Hearts through and through. Even used to have a maroon front door, but live in Brighton now, and have had a season ticket for BHA since 2007. Brighton were in the “third division” then, and I’ve been there through their rise up to the Prem. It’s not the same now though. The PL, money and Sky have ruined it. This coming season will be my last. I’m retiring soon, and hopefully get up to Tynecastle a bit more often.

Sorry to hear that, it must be brutal for your club to drift away from you.

In the late 80s and early 90s Serie A was very much the top league in Europe with the great Milan and Napoli teams, whereas the English division 1 was not in a good place with the European ban. There's no doubt that the innovation of the Premier League was exciting with the live television games, names on the back of shirts etc. I never supported a Premier League team but I did used to watch a fair few games. As others have alluded to the Man U Arsenal rivalry between Ferguson and Wenger, Keane and Viera etc. was probably when the Premier League peaked.

Nowadays I'll occasionally watch a game - or perhaps half of a game - if it happens to be on when I'm in the pub. But it's many years since I've actually changed my plans to watch a Premier League game. I haven't had a Sky Sports subscription for many years and don't envisage having one in the foreseeable future. But many people still seem to shell out for a Sky subscription and until that  changes the big money will continue to flow into the Premier League.  

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

It's also where Scottish league made a huge error of judgement.  England focused on marketing the league, Scotland focused on marketing the OF.

Yip. 

On 09/08/2022 at 01:44, cosanostra said:

Never really understood Scottish Hearts fans who decide they also support Man United, Liverpool etc and get all excited when they win trophies. 

It is like spinning a globe, randomly stopping it with your finger and saying "that country is also my nationality!". Then celebrating their national day and bragging about and taking credit for all the countries achievements. Utterly bizarre.

ShortmanRossco
35 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

It is like spinning a globe, randomly stopping it with your finger and saying "that country is also my nationality!". Then celebrating their national day and bragging about and taking credit for all the countries achievements. Utterly bizarre.

Absolutely. We should totally introduce a ticketing system at Hearts where you need to be born within 30 miles of the city walls to buy a ticket. We could easily prevent anyone that's moved to Edinburgh from England or elsewhere attending games and becoming fans of our team!

8 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Absolutely. We should totally introduce a ticketing system at Hearts where you need to be born within 30 miles of the city walls to buy a ticket. We could easily prevent anyone that's moved to Edinburgh from England or elsewhere attending games and becoming fans of our team!

Obviously that would be piss for us but almost worth it to see how shite the old firm crowds would get . 

8 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Cool, I shall move to Madrid and start bragging about how 'we've' won 400 European Cups.

I think there is all so a considerable difference in being attracted to a club that you have no geographical connection to if they only win a trophy once a decade or less than a trophy hoovering behemoth ………… same applies to a club that suddenly finds its self massively rich 

ShortmanRossco
25 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Cool, I shall move to Madrid and start bragging about how 'we've' won 400 European Cups.

Don't think you'll like the food mate. It'll predominantly be foreign.

ShortmanRossco
28 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Obviously that would be piss for us but almost worth it to see how shite the old firm crowds would get . 

Agreed. 

35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I think there is all so a considerable difference in being attracted to a club that you have no geographical connection to if they only win a trophy once a decade or less than a trophy hoovering behemoth ………… same applies to a club that suddenly finds its self massively rich 

There is a slight acceptance in the cases of adopted teams. Note that chosen and adopted are different. Someone who stumbles into supporting another team through a life path I feel can be accepted at least. However let us not kid ourselves, this makes up an almost negligible portion. The vast majority are just seeking glory. 

Edited by i8hibsh

Some Irish guy in work said to me yesterday "he was a Man Utd fan for his sins" as if in some way he has even spent 10 seconds in the supporters school of hard knocks.

Just **** right off.

23 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

:blink: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?

23 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I bit like Scots saying they're are British, so they can celebrate the achievements of England. :thumbsup:

55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I bit like Scots saying they're are British, so they can celebrate the achievements of England. :thumbsup:

Oh just please go away man. Please.

been here before

The military grade irony of i8 pontificating about proper supporters :rofl:

Edited by been here before

N Lincs Jambo
On 09/08/2022 at 13:28, Byyy The Light said:

Very much this sadly. It's almost like nobody outside of Scotland will even have heard of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd despite the European efforts of the latter two especially in the 80s. I believe Utd got to at least the 1/4 final stage of a European competition 6 straight seasons in the 80s. But no, the OF, built and sustained on bigotry are all that seems to matter.

Byyy The Light
23 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Very much this sadly. It's almost like nobody outside of Scotland will even have heard of Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd despite the European efforts of the latter two especially in the 80s. I believe Utd got to at least the 1/4 final stage of a European competition 6 straight seasons in the 80s. But no, the OF, built and sustained on bigotry are all that seems to matter.

We're also at a bit of sliding doors moment just now but they still won't learn or change it. 

Quality is on the up, attendances are getting better, Brexit means English clubs are looking up here more often.  Technology exists to try things that were previously cost prohibitive broadcasting wise.  The plastic nature of the EPL can be used against it for all the reasons stated on this thread.  

But no, they'll just keep the status quo, go on about the OF being big pretendy clubs and trying to sell 4 matches on the back of it.

I genuinely believe Doncaster and Sky are in cahoots about something. What I don't know but he acts as if he's working for Sky, not the interests of the clubs.

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I doubt it would have made much difference. Sky put billions into the EPL, that's the game changer, not marketing the wrong thing.

Our league features games between Ross County and Motherwell, Killie and St Johnstone, and it's only ever won by 2 clubs. It would take Sky billions to get anywhere with marketing!

Pasquale for King

I think it’s his summer has been a real eye opener for me, I knew how much we have the EPL rammed down a our throats but we’re now getting the womens game receive more coverage than we do also. Good luck to them obviously but it’s time we focused on our own league, stop contributing so much to the EPL tv money from Sky. I’m going to watch it less, not bother about MOTD either and just generally ignore it where possible. 
I barely know any of the players we play against every week but through tv and fantasy football know the EPL squads inside out. It’s really time for all of us to concentrate on our own game for a change. We are so short changes up here is a disgrace, whilst we help the BBC&Sky fund the EPL, it has to change for our clubs benefit if nothing else.

N Lincs Jambo
10 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I doubt it would have made much difference. Sky put billions into the EPL, that's the game changer, not marketing the wrong thing.

Our league features games between Ross County and Motherwell, Killie and St Johnstone, and it's only ever won by 2 clubs. It would take Sky billions to get anywhere with marketing!

Sky undoubtedly did put billions into the EPL. They needed to have a product they could market firstly to their home market and then worldwide. They took a gamble and it paid off.

Scotland will never be anywhere near as big as England in terms of being able to attract cash but at least in England the cash did get spread about a bit allowing teams like Leicester to win it 7 seasons ago. If the TV cash did get spread about more evenly in Scotland then some of the games you mention above might be more interesting. The season Sunderland went out of the EPL in last place, with TV revenues that season even they turned over in excess of £100 Million.

I remember when SAF was St Mirren manager and got them promoted they played Motherwell in the 4th round of the cup that season in front of 27,000 at Fir Park. Fergie undoubtedly got a bandwagon going around St Mirren and it was also an excellent Motherwell side at that time and there was a total buzz and hype around that game.

Basically my point is that if teams outwith the OF in Scotland had a larger budget from TV money they could attract better players and potentially interest a wider audience. As long as the OF are the sole focus, that won't happen. So for clubs outwith the OF to challenge they either need a sugar daddy like Vlad or serious TV income. Whilst the ride with Vlad was epic we all know how it turned out.

Also we keep on comparing the money the SPFL earns with what the EPL earns whilst forgetting that our TV deals are inferior that of similar size countries like Denmark, Norway and Austria. That surely is something that we could address without the OF being the sole focus?

Unknown user
20 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Sky undoubtedly did put billions into the EPL. They needed to have a product they could market firstly to their home market and then worldwide. They took a gamble and it paid off.

Scotland will never be anywhere near as big as England in terms of being able to attract cash but at least in England the cash did get spread about a bit allowing teams like Leicester to win it 7 seasons ago. If the TV cash did get spread about more evenly in Scotland then some of the games you mention above might be more interesting. The season Sunderland went out of the EPL in last place, with TV revenues that season even they turned over in excess of £100 Million.

I remember when SAF was St Mirren manager and got them promoted they played Motherwell in the 4th round of the cup that season in front of 27,000 at Fir Park. Fergie undoubtedly got a bandwagon going around St Mirren and it was also an excellent Motherwell side at that time and there was a total buzz and hype around that game.

Basically my point is that if teams outwith the OF in Scotland had a larger budget from TV money they could attract better players and potentially interest a wider audience. As long as the OF are the sole focus, that won't happen. So for clubs outwith the OF to challenge they either need a sugar daddy like Vlad or serious TV income. Whilst the ride with Vlad was epic we all know how it turned out.

Also we keep on comparing the money the SPFL earns with what the EPL earns whilst forgetting that our TV deals are inferior that of similar size countries like Denmark, Norway and Austria. That surely is something that we could address without the OF being the sole focus?

Denmark and Norway both have agreements with NENT, pretty much the Nordic Sky. Austria are covered by Austrian Sky, and aren't that much ahead of us in terms of funding.

None of this is down to marketing, it's simply down to the premium broadcaster in the area being prepared to pay more.

I think that given how much they pump into the English game, they should be obliged to put more into ours and NIs, as our game is undoubtedly affected by the behemoth next door.

46 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Yeah Scottish Football mirrors the British economy.  All the riches being plundered by the fattest cats with no investment in infrastructure or indeed a distribution of wealth.  The EPL have got the distribution part right.  

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, Smithee said:

The marketing point was in reference to 1992 when this all started and the key years just after. Before the tipping point and they disappeared off to another planet.

You are right that it’s a non starter in this day and age.