Potatoes

Horatio Caine

5 hours ago, Cade said:

Fondant potatoes are the business.

Cut them either in half or into a fancy shape like a bar of soap.

Fry them in butter with some rosemary and whole cloves of garlic until a crust develops.

Transfer them into a baking dish along with the garlic and herbs and enough chicken stock to about an inch deep.

Bake in the oven until cooked all the way through.

melting+potatoes+1.jpg

:clumshot:

I'd forgotten all about spud u like until this thread popped up. I think I used to go to one around Tollcross somewhere. Must have been 42/43 years ago.

I argue with the mrs about tatties all the time. She's loves mashed tatties, would have them with pretty much any meal, and I love roast tatties, so obviously its mashed we have all the time.

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Fry them in butter with some rosemary and whole cloves of garlic until a crust develops.

Transfer them into a baking dish along with the garlic and herbs and enough chicken stock to about an inch deep.

melting+potatoes+1.jpg

Thanks for sharing, been meaning to try these since they featured a fair bit on the last series of Masterchef the missus and I watched, will give this recipe a bash.

Also an honourable mention for tattie salad - bolied, baby new potatoes mixed with finely chopped onion, mayonnaise and salt and pepper - as simple as that. Brilliant with a barbeque.

5 hours ago, Morgan said:

Does my location explain my deviant behaviour too?

:biggrin2:

Your list of deviancy, is longer than my arm :D

I P Knightley

I did my best ever roasties at the weekend. Maris Pipers. Popped in cold salty water which was brought to the boil and left for about 5 minutes bubbling before being taken off and run under cold water then left to dry with a little oil poured over them. Then a bit more salt and a shoogle before going into a vey hot oven for about 45mins.

The crowd went wild!

The delightful (young)Jane Fonda said that she always carried a baked potato in her purse.  Whenever she felt the urge, she said it was a convenient thing to snack on.

*insert your own Jane Fonda joke here*

9 hours ago, RobboM said:

My dad was a farm labourer so not the biggest wage for 5 hungry kids but potatoes were plentiful and "free". We would often have "white dinner", which was just a mound of mash potato with a wee knob of butter melting in the top. It was a game between us kids to eat around the edges to keep the melted butter in place as long as possible. 🙂
Gotta luv tatties!

Sounds like you's were alive through the famine 🙈

I'm sure your family will all have a great appreciation of food now, i suppose 👍

Japan Jambo
14 hours ago, Cade said:

melting+potatoes+1.jpg

that looks spectacular...

fabienleclerq
12 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I did my best ever roasties at the weekend. Maris Pipers. Popped in cold salty water which was brought to the boil and left for about 5 minutes bubbling before being taken off and run under cold water then left to dry with a little oil poured over them. Then a bit more salt and a shoogle before going into a vey hot oven for about 45mins.

The crowd went wild!

Par boil them, rough them up.

Pre heat a tray with your chosen fat, cook for 40 minutes. Take them out half way and give them a wee squeeze with a masher just to break the surface. 

Salt,pepper,rosemary, garlic and a wee splash of vinegar. Back in for the second 20 minutes. 

Game changer.

15 hours ago, Cade said:

Tempting Tattie on Jeffrey St is still going strong.

Place hasn't changed in 40 years.

esposizione-degli-ingredienti.jpg

Was in there the other week after thinking it had shut down. 

Prices have went up like everywhere I suppose but you can’t move after getting a large tattie from there 

Craig Herbertson
18 hours ago, Cade said:

I'm not knocking the other culinary approaches but that's a magnificent picture of the spot where I bought my first baked potato and discovered cheese, branston pickle and butter for the first time. The only thing that's really changed is the original owner. I was there when he started and the week he retired. It was the end of an epoch and I felt overwhelming  nostalgia and a deep-seated fear for the future.

Was it always called Tempting Tattie though. Could have sworn it started as Spud U Like?

luckyBatistuta
18 hours ago, Cade said:

Used to go regular when Dave owned it years back. Never been since, so not sure if it changed much. I won’t be going in to try though looking at that picture...CASH ONLY!!!  Too many of these takeaways at this nonsense now.

Spud U Like was a different franchise altogether.

Edinburgh was at the epicentre of the baked potato shop craze in the 70s/80s.

There were dozens of shops all offering baked tatties.

Not many left now, but Tempting Tattie has remained the one constant over the years.