Potatoes

Horatio Caine

Horatio Caine

I love tatties.  would have them with every meal if I wasn't more sensible. I am to tatties like Boldrick is to turnips! I will eat them in whatever format - boiled, mashed, roasted, chips etc.  What about the rest of you?

Edited by Horatio Caine

Sadly becoming undervalued as people eat more food with pasta and rice. Love a good spud, dauphinois with a good steak and a red wine sauce is a great thing. 

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Sadly becoming undervalued as people eat more food with pasta and rice. Love a good spud, dauphinois with a good steak and a red wine sauce is a great thing. 

Omg that’s got me salivating 😮 

Love a nice potato, and they are versatile they can be mashed, boiled, dauphinois, roasted, chipped, wedges, seasoned, unseasoned. Just make sure you get the right type for what you want. Golden wonder are a favourite of mine

Fondant potatoes are the business.

Cut them either in half or into a fancy shape like a bar of soap.

Fry them in butter with some rosemary and whole cloves of garlic until a crust develops.

Transfer them into a baking dish along with the garlic and herbs and enough chicken stock to about an inch deep.

Bake in the oven until cooked all the way through.

melting+potatoes+1.jpg

JudyJudyJudy

I hardly eat them now as on a particular diet . They are lovely but pile on the  pounds . I’ll have them as a treat now and then if dining out  and they are part of a dish but never bought them in years. 

Dick Dastardly
11 minutes ago, Cade said:

Fondant potatoes are the business.

Cut them either in half or into a fancy shape like a bar of soap.

Fry them in butter with some rosemary and whole cloves of garlic until a crust develops.

Transfer them into a baking dish along with the garlic and herbs and enough chicken stock to about an inch deep.

Bake in the oven until cooked all the way through.

melting+potatoes+1.jpg

I just had weird feelings in my crotch

Edited by Dick Dastardly

49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I love dauphinois but with steak ? 

:getout:

32 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I love dauphinois but with steak ? 

I do dauphinois potatoes with steak fondue.

Absolutely banging!!

All roads lead to Gorgie

Anyone notice how quickly they start to sprout nowadays! Have to buy them in small quantities otherwise they turn soft quickly.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

All roads lead to Gorgie

I think people don't want to cook things for long now given the costs of energy and rice and pasta cook in at least half the time unless you microwave the spuds and they're not great done that way. It's a shame as tatties are great and can be cooked in so many ways.

10 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Anyone notice how quickly they start to sprout nowadays! Have to buy them in small quantities otherwise they turn soft quickly.

Yep, but huge difference when you get them from a farm shop or similar, when they seem to last for ages before sprouting. They must be out of the ground and in bags for ages before you pick them up from a supermarket.

Edited by PortyJambo

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Yep, but huge difference when you get them from a farm shop or similar, when they seem to last for ages before sprouting. They must be out of the ground and in bags for ages before you pick them up from a supermarket.

Yes they seem to keep better when they still have some soil on the skins. I still love old verities like Golden Wonders and Kerr's Pinks. Very difficult to find but buy them if I am lucky enough to find any old verities.

The White Cockade

Haggis neeps and tatties 

Steak and chips

Roasters with Xmas dinner

Sausage casserole 

Baked tattie with cheese and beans 

Don’t live in Scotland any more Are the baked tattie shops Spudulike etc still on the go? Nothing where I live

Edited by The White Cockade

Just now, The White Cockade said:

Haggis needs and tatties 

Steak and chips

Roasters with Xmas dinner

Sausage casserole 

Baked tattie with cheese and beans 

Don’t live in Scotland any more Are the baked tattie shops Spudulike etc still on the go? Nothing where I live

There used to be a really good baked tattie shop in Bonnyrigg, the row of shops behind the Stayside, when I was at school, me and some mates would go there most days.

I've seen a couple of small independent baked tattie shops recently but never seen a Spud  U Like for donkeys years.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

There used to be a really good baked tattie shop in Bonnyrigg, the row of shops behind the Stayside, when I was at school, me and some mates would go there most days.

I've seen a couple of small independent baked tattie shops recently but never seen a Spud  U Like for donkeys years.

There’s a Spud U Like at the Gyle.

3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

There’s a Spud U Like at the Gyle.

I've nevert been in the Gyle, I don't see any down here.

5 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, with tomato sauce on.

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I've nevert been in the Gyle, I don't see any down here.

👍🏻

Take it you’re not in Edinburgh then?

Just now, iantjambo said:

👍🏻

Take it you’re not in Edinburgh then?

🤣 not any more, North Lancashire. 

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

🤣 not any more, North Lancashire. 

That explains your deviant obsession with tomato sauce :lol:

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Have been growing my own for years. Incomparable to the cheapo supermarket ones.

This. Using potato bags, the potatoes are the freshest you can get. Dead easy if you've got a wee bit of space

Bonnie Prince Charlie

love them mashed up with loads of butter and corned beef and a wee bit of brown sauce 

Craig Herbertson
59 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Over forty years ago I bought a Baked potato from the Spud U Like  on Jeffrey Street just off The Royal Mile. I  think it was the first of its kind in Edinburgh. Difficult to believe that a Baked potato was an exotic and unknown entity at the time. Also, difficult to believe that every time I arrive there after a few beers I tell this story  to an owner who must be falling asleep with abject indifference.

Edited by Craig Herbertson

9 minutes ago, Craig Herbertson said:

Over forty years ago I bought a Baked potato from the Spud U Like  on Jeffrey Street just off The Royal Mile. I  think it was the first of its kind in Edinburgh. Difficult to believe that a Baked potato was an exotic and unknown entity at the time. Also, difficult to believe that every time I arrive there after a few beers I tell this story  to an owner who must be falling asleep with abject indifference.

😁

My first baked tattie was bought just over forty years ago, from a Spud U like on South Clerk Street on my walk back to my digs after a night at the Teviot Row student union. Hailing from Tuechtervillle,  those walks introduced me to a whole array of new and exotic delights like Chinese food, pizza and kebabs.

There used to be a cracking baked potato shop attached to the garage near Wester Hailes shopping centre.

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Have been growing my own for years. Incomparable to the cheapo supermarket ones.

Yep, me too.    Just dig out what you need for dinner & leave the rest in the ground/bag for next time.   

36 minutes ago, Pap said:

Roast potatoes with a nice beef gravy. Lovely stuff.

👍

24 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Parmentier potatoes in rosemary and lemon salt. 

:clumshot:

👍  Rosemary is a brilliant herb for flavouring stuff.  So easy to grow too, and bees love the wee flowers too.  

32 minutes ago, Craig Herbertson said:

I remember going to restaurants when I was a kid and seeing a fruit juice on the menu as "exotic".

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

Those wee summer tatties with the skin on and big lump of butter melted over for me.

Yep, I could eat a pan full, loads of butter, salt and black pepper, I love them cold as well.

8 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Those wee summer tatties with the skin on and big lump of butter melted over for me.

:spoton:

1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

That explains your deviant obsession with tomato sauce :lol:

Does my location explain my deviant behaviour too?

:biggrin2:

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Horatio Caine said:

I love tatties.  would have them with every meal if I wasn't more sensible. I am to tatties like Boldrick is to turnips! I will eat them in whatever format - boiled, mashed, roasted, chips etc.  What about the rest of you?

Totally agree, keep seeing different ways to eat them, sweet potatoes are good too great for you. 
Just had a baked potato with Cheese&Beans, who ever came up with that combo deserves an award 😍

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Craig Herbertson said:

Brilliant, my first one was on the way home from a night out from the shop in Minto st, amazing. When I worked at the Cas Rock we used the Spud u like at Brougham st whenever possible. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

A baked potato with smoked mackerel flaked through it is great. Recently I have tried a little red pesto added and it's even better.

My dad was a farm labourer so not the biggest wage for 5 hungry kids but potatoes were plentiful and "free". We would often have "white dinner", which was just a mound of mash potato with a wee knob of butter melting in the top. It was a game between us kids to eat around the edges to keep the melted butter in place as long as possible. 🙂
Gotta luv tatties!