Dwain Chambers

i8hibsh

Gavsy Van Gaverson
A perfectly understandable decision , It just means 1 less medal

He wouldn't have got near a medal.

Running 10 seconds flat is nowhere near fast enough in todays sprinting.

Im with the minority, Im quite disapointed by this.

Should have been given a second chance, there goes Britains best chance of a gold in the 100 metres and maybe the athletics.

Should have been given a second chance, there goes Britains best chance of a gold in the 100 metres and maybe the athletics.

What??? He had no chance of getting a gold. He's probably not even top 10, would have struggled to get into the final.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Stop.Talking.Pish.

Hows he not top 10? thats debatable.

Hes the fastest man in Britain in short distance and IMO he would have made top 5, even 3.

Chambers served a 4 year ban and did his time but im sorry, This ruleing is not fare on someone who served his time.

Im not being racist in anyway, so dont anyone take this the wrong way, but if he was White, he would have not been found guilty and been on the plane to the games, thats what I think.

I feel sorry for the guy, hes had to go through alot and hes did his best, but well dont the committe.

Ill probably get ridiculed for this but I have a strong opinion over it.

And everyone should get a second chance and he should have got one.

Stop.Talking.Pish.

So Im not allowed an opinion?

I guess the freedom of Speech ruling has no place on a forum.

deesidejambo

Hes the fastest man in Britain in short distance and IMO he would have made top 5, even 3.

Chambers served a 4 year ban and did his time but im sorry, This ruleing is not fare on someone who served his time.

Im not being racist in anyway, so dont anyone take this the wrong way, but if he was White, he would have not been found guilty and been on the plane to the games, thats what I think.

I feel sorry for the guy, hes had to go through alot and hes did his best, but well dont the committe.

lol. "I'm not being racist", then proceed to make a racist accusation. Nice.

lol. "I'm not being racist", then proceed to make a racist accusation. Nice.

Hows that making a racist accusation?

Its actually a point of view im making, How is that being aracist.

Im open to my own opinion about the subject.

There are umpteen Americans and Jamaicans miles ahead in speed of him.

Patrick Bateman

Aye, because if he'd been white, they'd have waived him through despite having taken various banned substances? Get a grip. He knew the rules, he cheated, he must now accept the punishment.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
So Im not allowed an opinion?

I guess the freedom of Speech ruling has no place on a forum.

What is your opinion based on?

He is ranked 23rd in the world for 100m. He would more than likely not even make the final, yet you believe he could win it.

http://www.world-rankings.net/#

What is your opinion based on?

He is ranked 23rd in the world for 100m. He would more than likely not even make the final, yet you believe he could win it.

Thanks for confirming that. Knew he wasn't even close to being top 10 but still kearney19 thought that was our best chance of a medal. I think not!

Nelly Terraces

Great news that Chambers the cheat is still barred. Cheating ****, no second chances for folk like him I'm afraid, and this sends out a message that other countries should follow the BOC's stance.

A Boy Named Crow

He didn't serve his time. His time involved a life time ban from the Olympics - are you suggesting he has died and come back to life since then?

On the racist point, what happened to yon skier who took the dodgy inhaler (or whatever) and lost his medal? If he is getting the same treatment then your argument may be out the water. You could make a good case for the skier being really unlucky, whereas Chambers is just a cheat! I have no idea how the BOA viewed the skier dude.

A Boy Named Crow
the law is upheld, justice is done. :)

Walks off, trilby on head whistling a merry tune...

Or Druggie Walker the Scottish sprinter who was mad for the creatine (or whatever it was...).

Not heard from him recently.

Hes the fastest man in Britain in short distance and IMO he would have made top 5, even 3..

Which shows how much you know about the 100m

Chambers served a 4 year ban and did his time but im sorry, This ruleing is not fare on someone who served his time...

How many times.....LIFETIME BAN. LIFE. Not 4 years.

Quite literally the biggest load of bull***** ive seen in a while. You honestly believe that? That UK athletics is racist? When a high percentage of the top UK athletes of the past 10 years have been black? Look at DAME Kelly Holmes, Colin Jackson, Big Linford. They are all heroes in this country. More importantly, they are not cheating money grabbing **** like chambers.

I feel sorry for the guy, hes had to go through alot and hes did his best, but well dont the committe..

You feel sorry for him??!?!!?!? WHAT?!?!?! Man, i think my head is about to explode. Poor little drug cheat. My. Heart. Bleeds. He didnt do his best, he cheated. What dont you understand about the tradition and history of the Olympics?

Im not ridiculing you, I just cant decide whether you are a)trolling or b)mental

Im not ridiculing you, I just cant decide whether you are a)trolling or b)mental

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brilliant.

Nope. Not tricky at all.

He did the crime, he did the time.

If the punishment was supposed to have been a lifetime ban, then that would have been meted out to him.

He served his 4 year(?) ban and that should be the end of it. Same as any other crim being sent down.

Chambers should be allowed to pursue any earning opportunities available to him without artificial barriers being put in place.

Disagree.

A young up and coming athlete has seen that if he is caught cheating his career is over. If Chambers had been allowed to run at the Olympics, then young, up and coming athletes may think "I'll give this cheating a bash. If I get caught all it means is a four year ban."

Bans/suspensions have to put off potential cheats.

Bindy Badgy
On the racist point, what happened to yon skier who took the dodgy inhaler (or whatever) and lost his medal? If he is getting the same treatment then your argument may be out the water. You could make a good case for the skier being really unlucky, whereas Chambers is just a cheat! I have no idea how the BOA viewed the skier dude.

I think that Baxter was very harshly treated and shouldn't of been banned in the first place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Baxter#Medal_appeal_controversy

deesidejambo
Disagree.

A young up and coming athlete has seen that if he is caught cheating his career is over. If Chambers had been allowed to run at the Olympics, then young, up and coming athletes may think "I'll give this cheating a bash. If I get caught all it means is a four year ban."

I agree - but the problem is that many countries are happy to harbour their drug-taking athletes and take their chances with them getting caught. The best example is the Chinese swimming teams of about 10 years ago who turned up at events, won all the medals, then dissapeared forever only to be replaced by another batch who had been in secret training in the Chinese countryside. This eventually got stopped after Sydney but the point is their Gov't were supporting it and there is no reason to expect them to change that perspective.

He didn't serve his time. His time involved a life time ban from the Olympics - are you suggesting he has died and come back to life since then?

IIRC, didn't Baxter use a nasal cold thingmy that is okay in the UK but the US version has a different ingredient (same brand btw) and was banned as such?

IF that is the case, then it is a completely different kettle of fish to someone that takes performance enhancing drugs in an effort to cheat.

I agree - but the problem is that many countries are happy to harbour their drug-taking athletes and take their chances with them getting caught. The best example is the Chinese swimming teams of about 10 years ago who turned up at events, won all the medals, then dissapeared forever only to be replaced by another batch who had been in secret training in the Chinese countryside. This eventually got stopped after Sydney but the point is their Gov't were supporting it and there is no reason to expect them to change that perspective.

Of course, it would be better if EVERY country adopts the same view, unfortunately we cannot enforce that.

We can do one of two things, come down hard on drug cheats or we could let them off with it. I would prefer the former.

Bindy Badgy
IIRC, didn't Baxter use a nasal cold thingmy that is okay in the UK but the US version has a different ingredient (same brand btw) and was banned as such?

IF that is the case, then it is a completely different kettle of fish to someone that takes performance enhancing drugs in an effort to cheat.

Assuming Baxter told the truth you're spot on

Is it not correct that the drug Baxter was banned for was not even performance enhancing. If this is the case it can't even be compared to Chambers.

Is it not correct that the drug Baxter was banned for was not even performance enhancing. If this is the case it can't even be compared to Chambers.

Depends on what you mean by "performance enhancing". It alleviated the sniffles. :)

Depends on what you mean by "performance enhancing". It alleviated the sniffles. :)

Yeah but it wasn't like a steroid or anything. It wouldn't improve stamina or muscle density or anything like that.

Commander Harris
Walks off, trilby on head whistling a merry tune...

you've got me pegged. :P

Bindy Badgy
Hence the big capital letters "IF". ;)

I was respnding to the IIRC bit. I was confirming that you did recall correctly:p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Baxter#Medal_appeal_controversy

The medal appeal heard by the Court of Arbitration in Sport in Lausanne rested on whither levAmphetamine was performance enhancing Vicks and other expert witnesses explained that it was a decongestant, and had negligible stimulant properties. The quote was "you could take a bucket of it with minimal effect".

I always thought what you could do is go into hiding and train hard in private pumping yourself full of what cocktail of drugs you need. Then clean up your act and hit the competitive scene as a late blooming athlete to the scene and clean up on medals.

And it looks like a few countries have done this. A certain swimming team had nobody in the top two hundred in the world one games and then the next games sweeped the medals and had awesome swimmers coming out of there ears.

The fact is that you can use drugs and not compete avoiding testing and when you get to where you want appear out of nowhere after they are out your system. Id like to see a free for all drugs competition and see how they stack up against the legit people. Im betting the times would be roughly the same which could be argued that the drugs dont work or some sneaky pete's have found ways around it and got world records outta it.

Disagree.

I agree with that.

He did take drugs, yes Its wrong and I accept that with what hes done.

But when he was banned he put his head down, he never tried to hide behind the curtains he came out and apoligised and did his best to overturn it.

When he came back some months back he proved hes the fasted 100 metres sprinter in Britain in many events and some ex professionals and current ones back him up to go to the games, some though said he shouldnt.

I ask, IF he was American, would he get off with it? Yes, IMO he would.

Would he if he was white? I think he would (NOT BEING RACIST)

If he was 19-25 or so, yes he would.

Hes got this through his reputation IMO and the impact since he has came back he has made.

I find it pathetic Britain and Norway are the only countrys banning a runner for life competiting in National competitions, why has America not done it or others?

He should be at the games and IMO its not fair.

Bring on the slagging, I expect it but I have my opinion.

Commander Harris
I agree with that.

But when he was banned he put his head down, he never tried to hide behind the curtains he came out and apoligised and did his best to overturn it.

When he came back some months back he proved hes the fasted 100 metres sprinter in Britain in many events and some ex professionals and current ones back him up to go to the games, some though said he shouldnt.

Hes got this through his reputation IMO and the impact since he has came back he has made.

I find it pathetic Britain and Norway are the only countrys banning a runner for life competiting in National competitions, why has America not done it or others?

he cheated, he knew that in doing so he would be banned from the Olympics if caught, he got caught, he's banned from the olympics. How can that be unfair?

If other countries don't have as strict rules that is their problem, the UK has it right and I'm glad that it was upheld.

As for the question of race, there is no basis for it and is complete speculation. You honestly think that they would have overturned the olympic ban if it had been a white athlete? what do you base this on?

he cheated, he knew that in doing so he would be banned from the Olympics if caught, he got caught, he's banned from the olympics. How can that be unfair?

Spot on. :)

The antics of the likes of Chambers and Christie are a disgrace. Compare them to the likes of true sportsmen like Wells and Liddell and there's no question a ban is well warranted.

Bindy Badgy

It is unfair however, it is not unfair on Chambers.

It is unfair on the athletes that have had their place at the Games taken by athletes that are cheats and it is unfair on the clean athletes at the Olympics that will have to compete against them.

If you're caught in the manner that Chambers was you should be banned for life. No ifs, no buts. You've made your bed now lie in it.

I normally stick up for you Kearney, but this isn't one of your brightest posts.

I love the Olympics. All of it. I like the whole ethos of the competition.

My favourite parts are the individual competitions (running,swimming,cycling) where the athlete is on their own, no team mates to rely on and they have to pull out the performance of a lifetime. The pressure must be incredible, a whole lifetimes training comes down to these few weeks. Its because of this I deplore drug cheats.

Let Druggy Dwain enter the world championships, the euros, the commonwealth games, in fact, any of the lesser competitions. But dont let him tarnish the Olympics. They are arguably the greatest, most intense competition on earth.

Kearney, you are aware that your "is it cos I is black" argument/viwepoint is mad arent you? Seriously lad, go have a wee lie down, sober up and come back when your heads clear. Youre making a complete tit of yourself.

I agree with that.

I don't think he put his head down. He is a media whore who loves the attention which is why he tried his hand at American Football then Rugby League but failed miserably at them both. He maybe able to run fast but he picked 2 games where you actually have to catch a ball and which he was pretty dreadful at!

You say some pro's were backing him to go to the games but you have not heard one single current British athlete say he should be there. No one in the British team wants him there as he is a cheat. Go ask Darren Campbell if he thinks chambers should be there, after Darren had his medal stripped from him because of Chambers cheating.

Why do you find Britain and Norway "pathetic" for upholding sporting integrity over someone using drugs to enhance their physical performance? Britain and Norway should be used as an example to every country in the Olympic world about the values of the Olympic games and not regarded as pathetic for actually having some morals.

crazy_jambo_2006

He's a cheat. He deliberately cheated.

I want GB to win as many medals as possible. Whether or not I think he'd have won a medal is irrelevant (I don't think he would have, but anyway...).

This is about more than medals. This is about the integrity of the GB team and of the Olympics. I am pleased he isn't allowed to compete. This farce of a campaign has totally overshadowed GB's run up to the Olympics.

Those of you who think he should've been allowed to compete.......

his fellow GB team don't want to run a relay with him, proper GB legends (who have won medals for us in the past) don't support him. So why do you support a cheat? It's insulting to all the clean atheletes and to all the legends of the past who have battled hard to win medals for GB (in recent years, the likes of Kelly Holmes, Sally Gunnell, Redgrave, Pinsent).

Just because other countries don't want to ban cheats for life doesn't mean we should not do this!

Father Tiresias

For once, we got something right in this country.

Dwain, you are a filthy cheating bawbag and got exactly what you deserved.

PsychocAndy

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Hope your broke now too, filth

Get a proper job and leave sport to sportsmen

You cheated, you got caught now do your time.

As for the boy that said if he was American he'd have got to run, he wouldn't have made their reserve squad for the relay.

Uk sport has won. UK sportsmen/women have won.

A good day.

Bindy Badgy
Even Linford Christie failed a drugs test, so was his career as clean as he made out ? Yet some experts say that the body can produce high substances of specific substances naturally (e.g. nandralone)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/7471819.stm

There is doubt over some positive tests but this quite simply isn't the case with Chambers. He has admitted to deliberately taking a banned substance with the sole aim of cheating.

Snake Plissken

I think that all drugs should be legal - if the athlete is prepared to risk his long term health for short term gain thats his choice. The Olympics was historically about winning at all costs, not this 19th century Victorian 'gentleman amateur' nonsense we seem to have foisted upon us.

Its a great message for kids - if you to succeed you have to do whatever it takes!

Is it any wonder we are such a breeding ground for losers when we demonise a talented athlete who took an extra step in his goal to WIN?

:rolleyes:

And its totally because he is black, think of all the many white sprinters (oxymoron alert) that have gotten away with it! Grrrr!

Archived