Dwain Chambers

i8hibsh

It's a tricky one, but how should this whole situation be treated?

He cheated BIG TIME and must be made an example of

He has served his punishment, deservedly had a bashed reputation and his integrity has deservedly been brought into question.

Today he proved (drug free) that he is the fastest man (short distance) in Britain.

Should he be allowed to represent us in Beijing?

I was against it originally, but I feel now he has served his punishment and proved that he is the best without performance enhancement drugs.

I say get him on that plane

Trolling again.

Professional sports should ban cheats for life.

How is this trolling? have you seen me trolling, you will know when i am trolling lol

It's just something I was thinking off.

I know how dispicable his cheating was but he has served his sentence and this is my reasonign for my opinion

He is 'clean' now and is the fastest in the country - I think he deserves it

Trolling again.

Professional sports should ban cheats for life.

When a player dives? that is cheating, but they ALL do it

The Real Maroonblood

He has served his punishment, deservedly had a bashed reputation and his integrity has deservedly been brought into question.

Today he proved (drug free) that he is the fastest man (short distance) in Britain.

I was against it originally, but I feel now he has served his punishment and proved that he is the best without performance enhancement drugs.

It is a tricky one but if he is allowed to go it could send out the wrong message for up and coming young athletes.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

For me, he can run in as many events as he likes, Golden league, IAAF's or whatever, But as for the Olympics, Life Ban.

Atheletes are told over again that cheating/taking drugs is against the rules? The olympics should be seen as a reward to the hard working and honest althletes the world has, If you let all the drug cheats enter, then you are tarnishing everything that the olympics should stand for.

chester copperpot
For me, he can run in as many events as he likes, Golden league, IAAF's or whatever, But as for the Olympics, Life Ban.

Atheletes are told over again that cheating/taking drugs is against the rules? The olympics should be seen as a reward to the hard working and honest althletes the world has, If you let all the drug cheats enter, then you are tarnishing everything that the olympics should stand for.

I think drugs should be allowed on all playing fields. That way it is even. I'd admire the clean one's, but at least there wouldn't be this cloud of doubt.

Let em all go for it.

I P Knightley
It is a tricky one but if he is allowed to go it could send out the wrong message for up and coming young athletes.

Nope. Not tricky at all.

He did the crime, he did the time.

If the punishment was supposed to have been a lifetime ban, then that would have been meted out to him.

He served his 4 year(?) ban and that should be the end of it. Same as any other crim being sent down.

Chambers should be allowed to pursue any earning opportunities available to him without artificial barriers being put in place.

He was caught, he was punished, he has served the punishment handed down and should be allowed to continue his career if he wishes to do so.

Whether the punishment handed down to such a blatant cheat is open to debate.

nanananananana-angus

Anyone caught using performance enhancing drugs should be banned for life.It's not hard to imagine that honest athletes may have,in the past,missed out on selection for blue riband events like the Olympics because of cheats like Chambers.No second chances I say.

Boaby Ewing
He was caught, he was punished, he has served the punishment handed down and should be allowed to continue his career if he wishes to do so.

I tend to lean towards this view, but my one concern is that he still retains a degree of the strength gains he got from doping himself up to the tits.

I tend to lean towards this view, but my one concern is that he still retains a degree of the strength gains he got from doping himself up to the tits.

Plus he is still destroying everyone else.

I think he should be allowed to race. It's on the UK and Norway that have something like this in place.

The Americans probably dope all their athletes with high quality undetectable stuff rather than the pig baby juice they get here.

Ibrahim Tall

I'm kind of in two minds about him. On one hand he's served the punishment given and should be allowed to continue his career on the other he wouldn't be in the physical condition he currently is without the steroids which built him up the first place.

Would probably be the only Olympic athelte we could say who definetly wasn't on anything though tbh.

He's a drug cheat and should never run for his country again.

It's a simple as that.

His entire court case is based on the fact that the UK is the only nation that imposes life bans on drugs cheats.

I think the ban should be upheld.

Just because other nations place winning golds medals above true, fair, equal sportsmanship does not mean that he should escape this ban.

A Boy Named Crow

I don't buy this crap about him having "done his time" "his time" included a life time ban from the GB Olympic team. It's a bit like a serious driving offense that gets you jail time and a life driving ban. You are not allowed to drive again just because you did the time in jail. His ban is from the Olympics is for life, so he will cintinuoe to serve his sentance the rest of his natural days. It may seem really harsh to some, but those were the rules and he chose to break them

I think he should be allowed to run.

The UK is the only country that still has this rule (all the others that originally adopted it have removed it), and it is essentially a double punishment that I dont think will stand up to a court challenge. As the IOC dont have this as a rule, the BOA will struggle to prove that its a reasonable stance to take.

I also think it shows the BOA (and all the athletes who are speaking out about it) as petty, mean spirited and vindictive. Are you not allowed to make a mistake in life but then rehabilitate? I think that sends a poor message to young people personally.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a Chambers fan, but I dont like the way he is being singled out and attacked. There are other athletes out there with a two year ban who have had their olympic ban overturned - why no big outcry over those athletes? I just get the feeling this has a lot more to do with the athlete involved rather than the rule itself.

A Boy Named Crow

Neil, I see your point, the rule does appear quite excessive, and gives no scope for repentace. It is the rule though. Chambers should have been aware of it.

His argument that he is being punished twice is crap, he is essentially appealing for a reduced sentance. Let's not forget that by taking illegal substances he was looking cheat somebody else out of what would have been rightfully theirs. I think it is right for the authorities to take a hard line on this, where is the deterant otherwise?

Carl Spackler

The way I see it there's two debates. One whether in his case he should be allowed to run and two whether those caught cheating should be banned for life.

I don't know about the latter but in Chamber's case the rules were the rules and he has served his time. To retrospectively change the rules is fundamentally wrong in my opinion. He should be allowed to go.

I think the only thing that sways me towards banning him is the point that he may still be benefiting slightly from when he was drugged up a few years ago.

Aside from doctors/pilots turning up drunk, I can't think of another profession that would punish you for life for one indescretion.

I was surprised to hear that the UK is one of only two contries who hand drug cheats a life time ban from competing in the olympics,the other is one of the scandanavian countries(cant remember).

chester copperpot
I was surprised to hear that the UK is one of only two contries who hand drug cheats a life time ban from competing in the olympics,the other is one of the scandanavian countries(cant remember).

Norway. ;)

Should be banned for life. he cheated, and to be fair know one can be sure how long he had been doing it etc.

PsychocAndy

He's not served his punishment, he's served part of his punishment, the part that banned him for 4 years from running at all. The other part of his punishment was a lifetime ban from the Olympics, and that part has'nt been served yet.

All athletes were made aware of this rule and he still went and cheated.

I hope he ends up broke with the legal fees he has to pay on Wednesday. Most of it is ill gotten gains anyway.

Get a real job, filth.

Commander Harris

He got his punishment, he served it and now he should be allowed to continue.

Although I'd like to see more severe punishments, we can't go back and change the punishment that was given. The rules should be changed, but Chambers having served his time can't be re-punished for it.

EDIT: just read the above post re: "The other part of his punishment was a lifetime ban from the Olympics". Can anyone confirm that or link me up, cheers.

just like people who go into jail he's served his sentance time to move on , let the guy run in beijing.

EDIT: just read the above post re: "The other part of his punishment was a lifetime ban from the Olympics". Can anyone confirm that or link me up, cheers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7503792.stm

Here are a couple of quotes about him Commander.

Steve Backley, a double Olympic javelin silver medallist, is not happy at the prospect of Chambers being part of the British team at the Games.

"We need to protect the integrity of the sport.

We, as a nation, have a unique stance that clearly said - and clearly made the point before Chambers decided to systematically cheat - that if you take drugs you won't be eligible for an Olympics. "

Allan Wells, who won gold for Britain in the 100m at the 1980 Olympics, agrees with Backley's stance and is fully behind the British Olympic Association's (BOA) by-law.

"A lot of athletes have tested positive in the past but we understand the rules and regulations of the BOA policy before we step on the track,

I support the BOA in this instance. There's a moral issue behind this. Athletes in this country know the BOA policy.

"Here's an athlete who flaunted that policy and that's one of the things that's irritating most of the past Olympic gold medalists and champions."

It would be a travesty if he were allowed to compete at the Olympics(My quote)

Should be banned for life. he cheated, and to be fair know one can be sure how long he had been doing it etc.

The book "A Game of Shadows", which details the story about BALCO and includes discussion about Barry Bonds, Marion Jones and others, as well as Chambers, should be a good indicator of when he started.

I cant understand why he would take it though when he was the best at the time. I suppose it may be because of his belief that no athletes these days are clean and no athlete who has some morals could actually win.

As for him racing in Beijing, im slightly on the side that he should go. The ban itself, is illegal in terms of employment laws, regardless of whether or not a lifetime ban is the issue. As the only major country who has the rule, the BOA will struggle to defend themselves. I find the fact that he is not being allow to "repent his sins" a bit off, especially since he said he would be willing to help the BOA expose other drug cheats, much like Victor Conte is now doing with the IOC etc. If the main body can allow one of the main people behind this through their doors showing forgiveness and admitting the error of their ways, I really dont see the problem with the same happening to Chambers. Maybe some have something to hide, who knows?

I do feel that the BOA were looking to make an example of someone and Chambers is it.

This didn't just affect Chambers. Other athletes who ran with him in 4x4 had their medals taken back. He knew the rules regarding UK athletics and he knew he would get a lifetime Olympic ban if he got caught. There is no way he should get to race.

Commander Harris
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympics/athletics/7503792.stm

Here are a couple of quotes about him Commander.

Steve Backley, a double Olympic javelin silver medallist, is not happy at the prospect of Chambers being part of the British team at the Games.

"We need to protect the integrity of the sport.

We, as a nation, have a unique stance that clearly said - and clearly made the point before Chambers decided to systematically cheat - that if you take drugs you won't be eligible for an Olympics. "

Allan Wells, who won gold for Britain in the 100m at the 1980 Olympics, agrees with Backley's stance and is fully behind the British Olympic Association's (BOA) by-law.

"A lot of athletes have tested positive in the past but we understand the rules and regulations of the BOA policy before we step on the track,

I support the BOA in this instance. There's a moral issue behind this. Athletes in this country know the BOA policy.

"Here's an athlete who flaunted that policy and that's one of the things that's irritating most of the past Olympic gold medalists and champions."

It would be a travesty if he were allowed to compete at the Olympics(My quote)

thanks deek, that changes things for me.

If that's the rule then it should be upheld and Chambers should not be allowed to compete.

FWIW I thought it was despicable what he did, especially considering how it affected others too, my original comments were just from a "sticking to the law" perspective as I don't think it's right to legislate outside of existing rules.

doctor jambo

Several points

1- it wasnt a "mistake" he made- he systematically cheated over a number of years to get a competitive advantage, he knew fine what he was doing and the consequences of his actions

2- he knew the punishment prior to shooting up the roids

3- a message needs to be sent out to children that it is NOT OK to do as Dwain did, and the punishment if caught is severe

-all athletes caught should serve life bans in ALL events - the deterrent if caught should outweight the rewards if you get away with it

I feel sorry for Craig Pickering and Tyrone Edgar. One of them will miss out if Dwain gets to go to China and neither deserve to.

only the best men can take part, he obviously doesn't take performing enhancing drugs now.

dwain chambers is alot faster than tyrone edgar anyway, as for craig pickering he's better than chambers so it's a win win situation.

Allan Wells....... is fully behind the British Olympic Association's (BOA) by-law.

I'll allow Mr Wells to guide me on this one.

He knew that if he got caught taking drugs he would be banned from Olympic competition for life.... he went ahead and took drugs anyway.

The ban should be enforced.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

One strike and you're out, for me. If athletics tolerates guys like Chambers it will only dig a bigger pit for itself.

I can't help thinking we are missing the boat with this one........

Britain when it comes to sport is pretty much a nation of losers

We actually have an athlete who has a real chance of a medal (realistically anything but gold), we all agree the guy done wrong but who cares let's just do what it takes to win!!

We need to start adopting that attitude. Do you think the Yanks would have this attitude?

they would have him on that track so fast (s'cuse the pun)

The book "A Game of Shadows", which details the story about BALCO and includes discussion about Barry Bonds, Marion Jones and others, as well as Chambers, should be a good indicator of when he started.

I cant understand why he would take it though when he was the best at the time. I suppose it may be because of his belief that no athletes these days are clean and no athlete who has some morals could actually win.

As for him racing in Beijing, im slightly on the side that he should go. The ban itself, is illegal in terms of employment laws, regardless of whether or not a lifetime ban is the issue. As the only major country who has the rule, the BOA will struggle to defend themselves. I find the fact that he is not being allow to "repent his sins" a bit off, especially since he said he would be willing to help the BOA expose other drug cheats, much like Victor Conte is now doing with the IOC etc. If the main body can allow one of the main people behind this through their doors showing forgiveness and admitting the error of their ways, I really dont see the problem with the same happening to Chambers. Maybe some have something to hide, who knows?

I do feel that the BOA were looking to make an example of someone and Chambers is it.

Thanks for replying to a post i wrote when I was stoned.. not performance enhancing. (the post never really made sense.)

My point is; he cheated which effected the core principle of his job.

People say but he's lost his life... no he hasnt, he can get a job like any one else.... why doesnt he get in to coaching etc.. Sport is pointless if people reckon they can carry on a career after breaking the core principles of that sport.

those were the rules and he chose to break them

My understanding is that the Olympic ban rule predates the time he was caught so he knew what the implications would be. No point in him whining about it now.

Carl Spackler

I'm sure I remember hearing all this on the radio a few months ago and they were pretty much saying that the rules changed after he was caught. I heard all manner of interviews and the overwhelming impression I got was that the relevant athletics bodies felt aggrieved that Chambers had a valid claim because their rules were not strong enough at the time of his indiscretion.

Wells' opinion is all well and good but what were the rules? When you are dealing with Drug's cheats you can't expect them to abide by gentleman's agreements or notions of fair play.

I can't find any links providing a straight answer.

PsychocAndy
Hahaha! "Filth"? I wish I could get that worked up about a runner.

I'm not worked up about a runner, I'm worked up about a drugs cheat that is going to try and pish in the face of Jesse Owens, Cassius Clay, David Wilkie, Eric Liddle, Alan Wells, etc.

Harry Palmer

I say: send him to hell.

Like the Tour de France, the Olympics will have cheats. There will be 'outrage' when it's discovered; when joe public is probably expecting some kind of +ve drug test... it most likely will occur.

Bert Le Clos

Every country should ban drug cheats for life. Or the individual competitions (Olympics, Europeans, Worlds etc.) should have their own rules banning drug cheats.

But it isn't fair that 2 countries ban people for life when all others don't. So he should go.

Every country should ban drug cheats for life. Or the individual competitions (Olympics, Europeans, Worlds etc.) should have their own rules banning drug cheats.

But it isn't fair that 2 countries ban people for life when all others don't. So he should go.

mxp_Mary_Mary_Quite_Contrary.jpg

A perfectly understandable decision , It just means 1 less medal

I don't think he would have won a medal anyway, he's not even close to the best in the world. Not in the 100m, maybe would have got a 4 x 100m silver/bronze if they were lucky.

deesidejambo

Defo correct to kick him out. Its a pity that other Countries are happy to support their cheats.

Bindy Badgy

I'm happy he doesn't get to compete.

We aren't talking about someone that mistakenly took medication that contained a banned substance. We're talking about someone that went out and took a banned steroid that he thought was impossible to detect in a systematc attempt at cheating.

One question I haven't seen answered is how long term the benefits of this type of cheating are. My initial assumption is that the benefits would last for as long as he continues to train as the gains you receive from training today depend on the results achieved in previous training sessions.

As an aside to this I would say that people that are caught with recreational drugs in there system should not be banned. Report them to the police if you want but they haven't cheated so they shouldn't be stopped from competing.

loveofthegame

Delighted with the result. The guys a dirty, thick cheat who will try anything in order to make a quick buck (shown by his pathetic attempts at playing American football and rugby league).

Archived